• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

:lol :lol :lol

Mckenzie on Riley "He doesn't know how to play in his own end yet".

No wonder Burke was so high on him, he already plays their system!

It wasn't all Fleury, but he wasn't totally blameless, either. Bylsma needs to go back to getting these guys to play the way they did before Crosby came back and they just tried opening the floodgates, thinking they could win on offensive power alone.

But yeah, as of now, the Pens don't look that strong defensively, unless one of these draft picks is NHL-ready, or someone surprises in training camp. Suter is needed?

Dumoulin!!!! :D But seriously, I would think we need to make some move on D. Not sure what the point of it all is though. I hope it turns out alright. :/ I wish we would have dumped Martin instead, that I wouldn't mind at all.

Alucard

Banned
Dumoulin!!!! :D But seriously, I would think we need to make some move on D. Not sure what the point of it all is though. I hope it turns out alright. :/ I wish we would have dumped Martin instead, that I wouldn't mind at all.

Rumour on the Pens board is that Michalek wasn't happy in Pittsburgh, and that he made it known after they got bumped. But who knows.

Believe in the Martin Miracle Comeback of 2012-2013.

Alucard

Banned
If the Pens don't sign a D-man they're worse than last year.

/realtalk

Next year, maybe. 2-3 years down the line if Maatta and/or Pouliot work out? Nah.

But yeah, Pens are either going to need to bring in a hard-hitting dman, or a top winger for fans to really be happy after all of this movement.

Suter or Parise, or bust?

Next year, maybe. 2-3 years down the line if Maatta and/or Pouliot work out? Nah.

But yeah, Pens are either going to need to bring in a hard-hitting dman, or a top winger for fans to really be happy after all of this movement.

Suter or Parise, or bust?

If they get Parise, meh. If they get Suter, welp.

Quick

Banned
He's bullshitting. He'd be run out of town if he had done that.

I know, but he could simply say, "we think we picked the right guy and we're happy with the selection" and leave it at that. At this point, most fans (or the smart ones, at least) see through the bullshit and knows that's really not the case.

In any case, it makes for great material from callers for Andy Frost on Leaf Talk. :lol

cube444

Who are the Pens going to trade for either of them?

Not sure. I just don't see the Michalek trade as a sign that some UFA is guaranteed to sign with your team. GMs are not that stupid to take such a risk so I expect the Michalek void to most likely be replaced through another trade. Pens could have traded Michalek even after signing a Suter and/or Parise in the middle of the summer.

Alucard

Banned
Not sure. I just don't see the Michalek trade as a sign that some UFA is guaranteed to sign with your team. GMs are not that stupid to take such a risk so I expect the Michalek void to most likely be replaced through another trade.

Seems weird to dump 4 million in salary for what are basically 3 prospects. Pens aren't going to get the caliber of talent they need with a trade, unless it involves moving some more major pieces. I don't see them moving Dupuis or Kunitz. Maybe Tyler Kennedy, but who are they going to get for him? And unless they dump Martin's contract, it doesn't seem worth it.

No. I think Shero is going to make a serious play for one of the big fish in UFA. There's no guarantee that he'll get one of them, but with 4 million off the books, it gives him more to work with. If he can't get one of the big UFAs, then maybe he'll try going through trades and shaking things up more substantially.

cube444

Seems weird to dump 4 million in salary for what are basically 3 prospects. Pens aren't going to get the caliber of talent they need with a trade, unless it involves moving some more major pieces. I don't see them moving Dupuis or Kunitz. Maybe Tyler Kennedy, but who are they going to get for him? And unless they dump Martin's contract, it doesn't seem worth it.

No. I think Shero is going to make a serious play for one of the big fish in UFA. There's no guarantee that he'll get one of them, but with 4 million off the books, it gives him more to work with. If he can't get one of the big UFAs, then maybe he'll try going through trades and shaking things up more substantially.

They could have kept Michalek, signed a big UFA or two and then dumped him in the summer as they stood over the cap. It's not like they got a great haul for Michalek to begin with.

There is/was no real reason to dump salary at this point in time.

Alucard

Banned
They could have kept Michalek, signed a big UFA or two and then dumped him in the summer as they stood over the cap. It's not like they got a great haul for Michalek to begin with.

There is/was no real reason to dump salary at this point in time.

...unless Shero already has some reason to believe that one of the big UFAs would be interested in coming to Pittsburgh.

I don't know. I'm not really happy with losing Michalek right now, but I'll give Shero the benefit of the doubt. He's definitely not done yet. This move just doesn't make any sense without anything following it up around July 1st.

cube444

...unless Shero already has some reason to believe that one of the big UFAs would be interested in coming to Pittsburgh.

I don't know. I'm not really happy with losing Michalek right now, but I'll give Shero the benefit of the doubt. He's definitely not done yet. This move just doesn't make any sense without anything following it up around July 1st.

Word is that Parise and Suter want to play together and that the Wild and Hawks are salivating to get them. Maybe Pens are hoping to do the same.

Alucard

Banned
Salary that Pens got rid of today...

Jordan Staal - 4.5 million
Zbynek Michalek - 4 million

Salary that Pens took on today...
Brandon Sutter - 1.5 million

Basically, the Pens shaved 7 million off the books today. If that's not trying to make room for a bigger name, I don't know what is.

Acid08

Banned
Salary that Pens got rid of today...

Jordan Staal - 4.5 million
Zbynek Michalek - 4 million

Salary that Pens took on today...
Brandon Sutter - 1.5 million

Basically, the Pens shaved 7 million off the books today. If that's not trying to make room for a bigger name, I don't know what is.

Suter will get 8+, Parise will probably get 7.5+. Can ya'll afford that while adding other pieces?

Alucard

Banned
Word is that Parise and Suter want to play together and that the Wild and Hawks are salivating to get them. Maybe Pens are hoping to do the same.

Where did that rumour originate from? If that's true, then hell...Pens now have around 9.5 million in cap space to work with. Would that bring in BOTH Parise and Suter? Probably not. When do we find out if the cap goes up?

Revenant

Where did that rumour originate from? If that's true, then hell...Pens now have around 9.5 million in cap space to work with. Would that bring in BOTH Parise and Suter? Probably not. When do we find out if the cap goes up?

1660106_o.gif

technically its a 70.3 million right now, but obviously the CBA expires and that if the owners get their way it'll go up just a little, stay pat, or even decrease.

Pens are taking a huge gamble, hopefully it fails and they don't land either Suter or Parise, I will be more than pissed off though if some other team (especially the Pens) land Suter, we badly need him for this year. Of course there is the rumor he doesn't want to sign in the East. I think the Pens are actually gunning for Parise instead, even with the cap they just shaved off, no way they can sign them both.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Where did you get that figure? The sites I'm looking at make it seem far smaller than that.

If that's true then heck...giddy up. Go after both of 'em, Ray.
Doesn't matter if you have both those guys, if Fleury continues his shitastic playoff play there won't be another Cup in Pens land.

I know, but he could simply say, "we think we picked the right guy and we're happy with the selection" and leave it at that. At this point, most fans (or the smart ones, at least) see through the bullshit and knows that's really not the case.

In any case, it makes for great material from callers for Andy Frost on Leaf Talk. :lol

Andy Frost may not be doing Leafs Talk anymore since 640 no longer has the rights and I don't see Sportsnet or TSN picking him up and allowing him to work for q107 and TSN/Sportsnet

Alucard

Banned
Pens are taking a huge gamble, hopefully it fails and they don't land either Suter or Parise, I will be more than pissed off though if some other team (especially the Pens) land Suter, we badly need him for this year. Of course there is the rumor he doesn't want to sign in the East. I think the Pens are actually gunning for Parise instead, even with the cap they just shaved off, no way they can sign them both.

LOL. "I'll be mad if the Pens get a player they need because WE NEED HIM TOO!"

You so crazy.

Quick

Banned
Andy Frost may not be doing Leafs Talk anymore since 640 no longer has the rights and I don't see Sportsnet or TSN picking him up and allowing him to work for q107 and TSN/Sportsnet

Oh, well damn then.

Probably happy he isn't doing it anymore with all the idiots calling him. What's stopping him from working for Q107 or TSN Radio though?

Alucard

Banned
Sportsnet mentioned the Wild/Hawks interest.

Here is the salary cap for Pens:

Link

Pens still have a bunch of guys to re-sign before they can even start thinking about Suter or Parise. :-/

I wonder if Shero is anticipating one of his picks in this draft, or somebody like Despres, to be NHL-ready and able to handle the big leagues.

I'm just dumb-founded right now with everything that's happened today, and can't believe that the Pens are even in Parise/Suter discussions right now. Just...weird.

Oh, well damn then.

Probably happy he isn't doing it anymore with all the idiots calling him. What's stopping him from working for Q107 or TSN Radio though?

Who knows if Corus radio will let him work for them and TSN/Sportsnet, I guess we'll find out sooner or later

Fei

I think Alucard's probably right, and the Pens are taking a gamble targeting Suter. It's the only thing that makes sense because they got a lot worse today in the near term. And after watching those Pens-Flyers games, I'd be looking to make a major change to my defensive corps as well. (Especially since they can't move Fleury for anything.)

I'm still here. :(

Hah, sorry man. Just mean there used to be a lot of Flames fans here before management has made some terrible moves/non-moves.

Cagey

Banned

Marty takes vet minimum. Parise and Suter sign for matching $7m/year contracts because playing in Newark with Trollvalchuk is the shit. Cups are won on the regular. Order restored. League trolled. Yankeehater found hanging from Rocky statute in Philadelphia; rope made from the jerseys of failed Flyers goalies from the past two decades.

Cake Boss

Banned
Marty takes vet minimum. Parise and Suter sign for matching $7m/year contracts because playing in Newark with Trollvalchuk is the shit. Cups are won on the regular. Order restored. League trolled. Yankeehater found hanging from Rocky statute in Philadelphia; rope made from the jerseys of failed Flyers goalies from the past two decades.

jtB8w.gif

And then you're woken up by Jeff Vanderbeek asking for any spare change you might have.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Thank you for this, I needed a laugh tonight.

Top Bottom