• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Reading the leafs sub board and how they get all pumped to take Forsberg when Snow takes Reinhart and then watching the collapse is very very amusing.

Red_Man

LOL Eklund says Edmonton are the front runners to land Jagr, cause that shit hole is where he wants to spend what could be the last year of career right.

Red_Man

Really? I never heard it, all I heard where Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit and slight possibility Montreal.

I'm happy with Gaunce. It gives us the ability to field an interesting forward line of Jensen-Gaunce-Kassian at some point. All big power forward types with above average offensive abilities.

It might not be able to dance with Edmonton's First Overall Line, but it'l sure as hell flatten them against the boards

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm happy with Gaunce. It gives us the ability to field an interesting forward line of Jensen-Gaunce-Kassian at some point. All big power forward types with above average offensive abilities.

It might not be able to dance with Edmonton's First Overall Line, but it'l sure as hell flatten them against the boards

says the one that responded to my "A Center for Kassian" comment with "he's not playing center".... -cough-

anyway, a scout from an agency did a small ask me anything if anyone wants to read:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/vggog/iama_scout_for_a_free_scouting_organization/

some quotes:

Personally, I don't even think Yakupov is the best player in the draft, although he could be a 1B or a 1C. As for making an impact next year, he definitely could be a 30g 60p rookie if he's able to stay healthy. He's very dynamic and has the tools to step into the NHL this fall. I think long-term, a couple other guys will have a good chance at being right there with him, but he is probably the most ready forward in the draft, and the player who can make an impact right away.

Who do you think is the best player in the draft?
And thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated. Also, I'm glad to see the Habs take Galchenyuk. Do you think that's a solid pick at the 3 slot?

Right now, Yakupov probably is. However in the long term both of us here think Galchenyuk could easily end up being the best player in the draft.

A lot of people have talked about Dumba's passion for the game as a plus. Can you explain what that really means?

You look at a guy like Ovechkin when he came into the league, his passion was evident in how hard he played, how he didin't back down from battles. I feel like Dumba's passion is quite similar in that respect. He's a kid guy leaves it all on the ice and plays a super nasty game.

Could you explain the draft strategy of the Flyers drafting Laughton and not a defensive player that seemed to be the thought among most fans?
Thanks

Sadly no.... We're not huge fans of Laughton. He's a gritty forward who has some upside, but we really don't feel he was worthy of going off the board to grab him. Potentially the flyers saw a lot of Mike Richards in him but we don't feel he has that upside.

What's the report on the Flames' 1st round pick? The kid seemed to have been absolutely nowhere on anyone's radar, yet they seem to have tons of confidence in him.

From Scott Campbell: Played MM for the St. Catharines Falcons and was undrafted in the OHL. Went to Stanstead Prep and really came on this year, also growing over 6 inches since he was 15
big guy with good speed and a good scoring touch, but he's super raw
high risk/high reward
super high risk really

says the one that responded to my "A Center for Kassian" comment with "he's not playing center".... -cough-
In the future, maybe, but for the time being, if he wants to make the top six, he has to play wing, which thank god he can.

A prospect site gave their ratings for Gaunce, and apparently he's a very low risk high reward NHL talent. The consensus seems to say that he's almost surefire NHL talent, with third line checking forward at his floor and second line center at his ceiling.

They used Jordan Staal as a comparable, not nearly as elite, but a large bodied shutdown centre who can put up 40+ points.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In the future, maybe, but for the time being, if he wants to make the top six, he has to play wing, which thank god he can.

A prospect site gave their ratings for Gaunce, and apparently he's a very low risk high reward NHL talent. The consensus seems to say that he's almost surefire NHL talent, with third line checking forward at his floor and second line center at his ceiling.

They used Jordan Staal as a comparable, not nearly as elite, but a large bodied shutdown centre who can put up 40+ points.

14. LC Brendan Gaunce – Belleville (OHL)
DOB: Mar. 25/94 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 215lbs
TSR Midterm Rank: 11
Gaunce is an extremely well rounded prospect who processes great vision, hockey sense, as well as leadership qualities. He’s not a player who will overwhelm you any in one aspect of the game but he does have the unique ability to be such a complete player at this young of an age. Gaunce is a great decision maker both with the puck on his stick as well as away from the puck on the defensive end of the ice. He has an extremely hard and accurate shot which has the ability to find its way to the net through traffic. Gaunce could very well develop into a player who will be on the ice at all points of the game and never look out of place. At this point in time he seems to have the upside as a strong two-way centerman, he does however have to work on his skating ability to get there.

From: http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-draft-final-100-rankings-125/ They had him at 14, not bad.

I'm surprised how big this kid is. Jesus Christ. He's 4 years younger than Kassian and just about as big.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes a run at that 3rd line center job we have open this season.

Also:

gs3Go.jpg

DUCKS-GAF suicide watch engage!

Red_Man

There are a few scouting groups that have said they believe Galchenyuk will be the best player over time, part of the reason I'm so excited to have him......really made this fucking awful year worth it all. According to Feaster the best player will be some high school kid though, so what do I know.

Heretic

I'm surprised how big this kid is. Jesus Christ. He's 4 years younger than Kassian and just about as big.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes a run at that 3rd line center job we have open this season.

Also:

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/gs3Go.jpg[/IMG]

DUCKS-GAF suicide watch engage!

Am i missing something? Aside from the obvious laundry list of bad news today...

Red_Man

:lol :lol that made me laugh way more then it should have....I'm sorry Heretic I really wanted you guys to get Dumba :(

Heretic

That wiki article is your draft pick from today

Poor bastard doesn't even recognize his own draft pick.

:(
I know who he is... I'm just not seeing how that would put us on suicide watch. Maybe I'm more fucked than I thought but I'm just not seeing anything... bad. Is it cause they mention that he's not a drinker?Or mention nothing of importance? It's almost 2 a.m.. Maybe I should just go to sleep =p
:lol :lol that made me laugh way more then it should have....I'm sorry Heretic I really wanted you guys to get Dumba :(

Off with your head!

Look on the bright side though! At least you're not Calgary.

pass it to bulis ‏@passittobulis
gillis: "everything about [gaunce] is good. Good parents, good potential, good leadership." parents? Well, i guess after the hodgsons...
:lol

Maybe. I dunno, I still don't get it.

If he's never drunk before then it's only a good thing for his body. But if it's because of some wacky religion that he'll have a tendency to exert in the locker room, then it might be bad.

Whatever. He was a good pick... Just not at #6.

Heretic

Maybe. I dunno, I still don't get it.

If he's never drunk before then it's only a good thing for his body. But if it's because of some wacky religion that he'll have a tendency to exert in the locker room, then it might be bad.

Whatever. He was a good pick... Just not at #6.

I think it's cause his name isn't Tuevo...

Dude... this day fucked us up.

Edit: I'm hoping Barstool talks to Bobby and eases his mind. I REALLY don't want to see Bobby go. I'm also mad Lindholm won't even play this season...

Curufinwe

Great move for the Canes. I am so glad he isnt a Pen anymore.

Same.

I was just going thru the 1st round of the 2007 draft to see if there was anyone better the Flyers could have taken than JVR, and it's scary how many mediocre players that were selected, even in the top 10.

Solo

Damnit, gotta shit to do today. 2nd round starts in 80 minutes. Will probably miss at least the 2nd-4th rounds :(

Snag Thrower, Bergevin.

According to twitter, I wanted Hamilton over Couturier last year, so shows what I know, yelling at the tv while wearing a Couturier shirt about how we weren't taking Maata last night.

Will be interesting to see how Laughton develops. He really did a number on the Flyers scouts at the U18 tournament. Their track record's been solid though, so we'll see what happens with him.

Had thought we'd've ended up with Koekkoek or Skjei at the start of the night.

Cactus

Banned
I'm surprised how positive some of the scouting reports on Rielly are. Supposedly his "ceiling" is incredibly high and he's capable of dictating the pace of the game due to great hockey IQ and offensive instincts. He almost surely needs at least one more full year in the OHL, though.

Leafs still need skilled forward prospects, so it'll be interesting to see if Burke tries to draft a "boom or bust" prospect like Collberg at 35 or if he sticks to "best player available" and tries to solve for the forward depth issues through trade.

EDIT: Matt Duchene re-signs for 2 years at 3.5 per. Seems like a serious bargain for Colorado.

I'm interested to see if Edmonton decide to make a move now that they have the Yak. Would a guy like Paarjavi (sp?) be in play?

Which guys in the draft are considered NHL ready?

Cactus

Banned
I'm interested to see if Edmonton decide to make a move now that they have the Yak. Would a guy like Paarjavi (sp?) be in play?

Which guys in the draft are considered NHL ready?

Not many. I remember reading somewhere that Ryan Murray is the only top rated prospect who scouts think is capable of playing in the NHL next season. With the Oilers always rushing their prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if Yakupov sticks too.

As for Paajarvi, he's probably available, but after a poor season, my guess is that not many teams will be willing to pay what I assume would be a high asking price.

Merguson

Banned
For those who care, MTL picked Collberg and Leafs selected Finn.

Finn is a defenseman born in Toronto. Watch Don Cherry declare this the best pick of the draft.

Fei

I'm excited. Won't be seeing Girgs for awhile tho. He going NCAA to Vermont.

Yeah, there's no way he makes it this year. Probably not for a couple years, really. We still have Armia developing nicely from last year, too. With last year's and this year's draft, Buffalo finally has some quality depth centermen over 6'.

I'm going to get excited watching Grigorenko compete for a roster spot this year, though.

Cactus

Banned
Man what a steal for Montreal with Coldberg in 2nd. Great fucking pick.

Yeah, I was hoping he fell to #35. He has a lot of skill, but he supposedly has a lot of trouble playing against bigger, stronger players. He had 0 points in 41 games in the SEL this past season.

Finn is a defenseman born in Toronto. Watch Don Cherry declare this the best pick of the draft.

I'm happy with Finn. He's a Carl Gunnarsson type of player (good hockey sense/decision making), which sounds good to me.

Razorskin

----- ------

I like the Collberg pick, very happy. I thought he would've been taken by now and was hoping for Matteau or Jankowski‎ before the draft. Funny how that worked out.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah, I was hoping he fell to #35. He has a lot of skill, but he supposedly has a lot of trouble playing against bigger, stronger players. He had 0 points in 41 games in the SEL this past season.

Yeah thats probably what scared scouts away from taking him in the 1st but god damn he has a filthy shot, was one of the best players for Sweden in past juniors.

Top Bottom