• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Alucard

Banned
Exactly.

Malkin - 8.7
Crosby - 8.7 (prob higher after his new deal)
Parise - 7.5
Fleury - 5

That's 30 million dollars tied up in 4 players.

More than manageable. Pens have gotten by fine with spare parts players who play for 2 million or less. Again, if it brings a Cup in the next 1-3 years, why not?

Crosby will probably sign a mega-deal between 9 and 10 million close to July 1st. Malkin will probably take the same...if we can get 2-3 seasons with Parise and/or Suter, and if that would bring the Cup back to Pittsburgh, I'd be all for it.

Short term success for long term problems, not a particularly great plan but everyone's different.

Whoever signs Parise is gonna have to front load/Lock-out proof it. 14 Million first year salary, 10 of which is a signing bonus he receives up front. That's what the Rangers did with Richards, that what they'd do if they were going after Parise. In fact, they'll probably still offer it to him just to fuck with other teams.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Whoever signs Parise is gonna have to front load/Lock-out proof it. 14 Million first year salary, 10 of which is a signing bonus he receives up front. That's what the Rangers did with Richards, that what they'd do if they were going after Parise. In fact, they'll probably still offer it to him just to fuck with other teams.

I still think parise will not be worth the money

Alucard

Banned
Short term success for long term problems, not a particularly great plan but everyone's different.

What kind of long-term problems if one or both only sign for 2-3 seasons and free up cap space after leaving?

And wouldn't you take a Stanley Cup even if it meant 3-5 years of rebuilding afterwards? It's a 30-team league.

Ya, I don't like it. I don't like trying for a cup that could cut you deeply long term, it hasn't been that long since we won to do something like that. And with all the talent we have already I can't see why the penguins of all teams would need to take a gamble like that.

What kind of long-term problems if one or both only sign for 2-3 seasons and free up cap space after leaving?

And wouldn't you take a Stanley Cup even if it meant 3-5 years of rebuilding afterwards? It's a 30-team league.

Well you're assuming they want a short contract like that. They've both proven themselves enough that I'm sure they want to be locked up long term and not some short contract of 2-3 years. I don't get the feeling they're that cup hungry to take a cut like that for the pens.

Suter and Parise aren't going to sign for 2-3 years. They are looking for long term contracts. Other teams wont have problems offering that up to them.

Alucard

Banned
Somebody is going to get desperate and throw 10 years/90+ million at him.

He has to be honest with himself too. He's not worth that kind of money. I hope teams will see that. When you've got the league scoring champion making under 9 million, there's no way Parise gets 10. But stranger things have happened.

e6f1405047e699be4dadf7bf3549.jpg
ilya-kovalchuk-farber.jpg

Alucard

Banned
You guys need Suter more than Parise.

Agreed, though I wouldn't be too angry if Parise ended up in Pittsburgh. Shero's smart enough to know what he needs to improve. I'm sure he'd try to fill the Pens' defensive holes through a trade. Word is, Pens are already looking at revamping their system for next season, as they became too predictable this past season.

Alucard

Banned
And I hope that's who we go after so it'll probably be Parise instead. :/

Let's wait and see. What if the Pens end up with neither one of them? What does Ray do then? Try to unload Martin, a winger, and a prospect/first rounder for Yandle? I'd be willing to part with Despres if it meant getting Yandle, and dumping Martin's contract.

Marvie_3

Banned
He has to be honest with himself too. He's not worth that kind of money. I hope teams will see that. When you've got the league scoring champion making under 9 million, there's no way Parise gets 10. But stranger things have happened.
There will always be overpaid players in sports. It's unavoidable in a free agency system.

Crosby's deal was signed a few years ago. You can't compare the two.

Montresor

Kovy is easily worth a $6.7mil or whatever cap hit that he has.

Parise can get his $9mil+ per year, but like Kovy it'll be hidden in a clever contract with an artificially low cap hit.

Alucard

Banned
There will always be overpaid players in sports. It's unavoidable in a free agency system.

Crosby's deal was signed a few years ago. You can't compare the two.

I know. It still sucks.

Chris Drury - 7 million
Scott Gomez - 7.3 million
Ed Jovanovski - 6.5 million

...and so on.

Let's wait and see. What if the Pens end up with neither one of them? What does Ray do then? Try to unload Martin, a winger, and a prospect/first rounder for Yandle? I'd be willing to part with Despres if it meant getting Yandle, and dumping Martin's contract.

The player they would have wanted for Yandle is suiting up in Carolina next year. They are looking for Offense, and a Center in particular for Yandle. They aren't taking Martin.

Alucard

Banned
The player they would have wanted for Yandle is suiting up in Carolina next year. They are looking for Offense, and a Center in particular for Yandle. They aren't taking Martin.

Of the defensive UFA class this season, who is a diamond in the rough? On top of Suter, these guys are available...

Matt Carle
Dennis Wideman
Bryan Allen
Pavel Kubina
Hal Gill

Slim pickings. Maybe Wideman?...

Of the defensive UFA class this season, who is a diamond in the rough? On top of Suter, these guys are available...

Matt Carle
Dennis Wideman
Bryan Allen
Pavel Kubina
Hal Gill

Carle will most likely stay in Philly
Wideman will be overpaid for what he does
Kubina and Gill are old

Slim indeed

Matt Carle
Dennis Wideman
Bryan Allen
Pavel Kubina
Hal Gill

Jason Garrison to that list. 19 Goals last season. Young and with cannon of a slapshot.

Alucard

Banned
Time to fantasize...

Dupuis - Crosby - Parise
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Kennedy - Sutter - Cooke
Asham - Vitale - Park

Letang - Suter
Orpik - Despres
Martin - Lovejoy

...possible dmen may include Niskanen, Pouliot, Maatta, and Engelland.

Really see Despres cracking the squad this season with Michalek gone. Or Engelland may just take Michalek's place. Gotta say that I love the top 3 lines.

More realistic if the Pens don't land Suter...

Letang - Martin
Orpik - Despres
Engelland - Lovejoy

...or one of the rookies crack the squad with a strong camp.

He was a 27 year old rookie, thats not that young.

I wouldn't sign Garrison to any contract. A 27 year old comes in and has a big season, he's gotta do that again to prove he's worth it.
He's going to for money though. The rumor is Tallon offered about 3.8 but he wants 5 x 5. With a good pairing he will do well. His pairing with Campbell did wonders to his game, a team with a smart PMD will benefit greatly from him.

Marvie_3

Banned
Time to fantasize...

Dupuis - Crosby - Parise
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Kennedy - Sutter - Cooke
Asham - Vitale - Park

Letang - Suter
Orpik - Despres
Martin - Lovejoy

Really see Despres cracking the squad this season with Michalek gone. Or Engelland may just take Michalek's place. Gotta say that I love the top 3 lines.
And we've officially reached HFboards levels.

Time to fantasize...

Dupuis - Crosby - Parise
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Kennedy - Sutter - Cooke
Asham - Vitale - Park

Letang - Suter
Orpik - Despres
Martin - Lovejoy

:lol You're crazy.

He's going to for money though. The rumor is Tallon offered about 3.8 but he wants 5 x 5. With a good pairing he will do well. His pairing with Campbell did wonders to his game, a team with a smart PMD will benefit greatly from him.

If he can do it again he'll be worth the money. The chances that he can now that everybody knows about him are slim I think. he should take a one year deal in Florida and prove himself.

Alucard

Banned
:lol You're crazy.

Hey, if the Pens land Parise, those top 3 lines are going to be sexy hot. Even without Suter on defense, the Pens may be able to form a strong back line with a comeback season from Martin, and the emergence of Simon Despres. *fingers crossed and bunny tails*

Top Bottom