• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
Glendale weighs option to cover sports-related debts

Glendale officials this week considered offering up City Hall and the main police station as collateral to obtain a $41 million loan to cover sports-related debts.

The city would use the money to cover payments to the National Hockey League and potentially to make payments on Camelback Ranch stadium, the city's spring-training ballpark.

Glendale officials acknowledged the proposal wouldn't bring the city any savings.

"This is by no means a money-saving exercise," Interim City Manager Horatio Skeete said. "This exercise would basically allow us the freedom to do a couple things: spread the payments of the $25 million that is currently owed to the NHL and to shore up ourselves for the (Camelback Ranch payments) that are coming due."

The City Council on Tuesday decided there were too many unknowns for staffers to proceed with the plan now.

Those variables include whether two referendums will make it to the November ballot. One ballot measure aims to repeal a proposed sales-tax hike the city approved earlier this month to generate an estimated $24 million. The other aims to repeal the city's deal with a likely Phoenix Coyotes buyer.

Separate groups of residents have said they are collecting signatures for the referendums, but each would need 1,862 by early July. Both ballot measures would have a direct financial impact on the city.

Glendale shored up an anticipated $35 million shortfall in its operating budget for the coming fiscal year, which opens July 1, in part with the sales-tax hike.

The city's fiscal turmoil in part relates to the Coyotes deal
i4JNtekJAhR6s.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Think how potential investors for Jamison feel when they see when their entire deal hinges on Glendale making payments... Are forced to leverage critical city assets just to pay a simple fucking fee

I'd call up Jamison and tell him to go fuck a pine tree

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Isn't Arizona the state that wanted to implement the racial profiling immigration law or something like that?

Marvie_3

Banned
LOL

Wow. These guys are desperate.
I'm constantly surprised at how stupid they are. Apparently the term "cut your losses" has never been spoken in Arizona. Articles like this make it pretty easy to see how a city of 200,000 can be a billion dollars in debt.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dopey, why edit from "oak" to "pine"? :jnc

Bettman will own Glendale lock, stock and barrel before this is all said and done.

I have never been this hungover in my life. Ye gods.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dopey, why edit from "oak" to "pine"? :jnc

Bettman will own Glendale lock, stock and barrel before this is all said and done.

I have never been this hungover in my life. Ye gods.

Lol, oak sounded worse... But pine would certainly mean death :>

Alucard

Banned
Not sure who to believe these days. From Flyers`beat writer:

Randy Miller @RandyJMiller
So much for #Flyers making run at Zach Parise. From what I hear, he's headed to Penguins. Apparently Parise & Crosby want to play together.

@sarmen25 Many teams want Parise, but heard he wants to go to Pens to play with Crosby. Was told they've been conniving like LeBron and Wade

Apparently Crosby sat with Parise's family in a suite for multiple games during Stanley Cup Final #Flyers

Crosby has incepted Parise:
"PensCeption" Crosby / Parise Inception Parody

I find that hard to believe (I thought him and Suter want to play together ?)

Then again I don't think Shero would dump all that salary without some knowledge that he'd be able to sign Parise/Suter either.

So much for #Flyers making run at Zach Parise. From what I hear, he's headed to Penguins. Apparently Parise & Crosby want to play together.

@sarmen25 Many teams want Parise, but heard he wants to go to Pens to play with Crosby. Was told they've been conniving like LeBron and Wade

Apparently Crosby sat with Parise's family in a suite for multiple games during Stanley Cup Final #Flyers

Take him, as long as we get Sutter and then Semin I'm fine, good luck with your cap situation down the road though.

Marvie_3

Banned

But I thought Suter and Parise were the ones conniving?

I can't wait until after July 1st so all these dumbass twitter rumors stop getting posted.
It will be cool to see Parise and Crosbay play together for 10 games.

:lol

NOT ONE, NOT TWO, NOT THREE....
....FOUR! FOUR CONCUSSIONS FOR CROSBY! AH AH AH AH!!

Count.jpg

Revenant

But I thought Suter and Parise were the ones conniving?

I can't wait until after July 1st so all these dumbass twitter rumors stop getting posted.

:lol

I heard a rumor from a friend of a guy who plays hockey with a guy who had sex with a girl who hung out out with patrick kane once that Suter and Parise are coming to Chicago for the league minimum.

Devils beat writer today said on twitter that Zach has never played with Crosby, and they weren't even at Shattuck together. Take that for what it's worth.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, July 1st can't come soon enough. Honestly, I'm really tempering my expectations with the Suter/Parise stuff. If Shero lands either one of them, I'll respond with the same shock and awe that I did when the Pens landed Hossa in 2008. I've gotten my hopes up far too often with big stars coming to Pittsburgh, and have been let down multiple times. Hrm. Just going to wait and see.

Tangent: You know that horrible "Tonight's the night" song that was playing during the All-Star game lineup introductions?

I didn't even know it was an actual song until I'd started hearing it everywhere recently.

Now I could be anywhere, hear it, and instantly remember the awkward introductions of each player and how generally uncomfortable the whole thing was. Makes for a shitload of giggling that's hard to explain.

Alucard

Banned
Devils beat writer today said on twitter that Zach has never played with Crosby, and they weren't even at Shattuck together. Take that for what it's worth.

Yeah, don't know who to believe. Just waiting for July 1st to find out who's lying and who actually knows anything.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Yeah, July 1st can't come soon enough. Honestly, I'm really tempering my expectations with the Suter/Parise stuff. If Shero lands either one of them, I'll respond with the same shock and awe that I did when the Pens landed Hossa in 2008. I've gotten my hopes up far too often with big stars coming to Pittsburgh, and have been let down multiple times. Hrm. Just going to wait and see.

its gonna be hard to build sympathy with us when you've got crosby and malkin.. but i feel the same way about nashville, just replace 'big star' with 'potential first line talent'

Heretic

Tangent: You know that horrible "Tonight's the night" song that was playing during the All-Star game lineup introductions?

I didn't even know it was an actual song until I'd started hearing it everywhere recently.

Now I could be anywhere, hear it, and instantly remember the awkward introductions of each player and how generally uncomfortable the whole thing was. Makes for a shitload of giggling that's hard to explain.
After this weekend, I'm thinking Teemu won't return...

Quick

Banned

I was trying to figure out who sang the song and what it was called. Found it (I'm assuming this is it), and you're right: it (was?) played a shit ton everywhere.

Yeah, don't know who to believe. Just waiting for July 1st to find out who's lying and who actually knows anything.

I mean, Parise is also good friends with Stepan. Train together in the offseason. Minnesota boys. He could be laying on the charm. Doubt it but it could easily be said that any friend of his is trying to convince him to play somewhere. Besides, Him and Mack Truck too busy laying on the charm to Schultz :). If that came from a Pitt beat writer I'd be more inclined to believe it, but sounds like a bitter Philly writer.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeeTuT_5i4

edit: Upon watching...what a horrible choice of song.

Yeah, I just meant guys coming through trades or UFAs.

Do you really want that cap hit? I get the feeling we're going to be hurting later with resigning Malkin, Crosby, and Letang when their contracts expire. Not sure I want another huge contract. I don't think the team is that bad to need that, unless it's a shorter contract.

cube444

Do you really want that cap hit? I get the feeling we're going to be hurting later with resigning Malkin, Crosby, and Letang when their contracts expire. Not sure I want another huge contract. I don't think the team is that bad to need that, unless it's a shorter contract.

Exactly.

Malkin - 8.7
Crosby - 8.7 (prob higher after his new deal)
Parise - 7.5
Fleury - 5

That's 30 million dollars tied up in 4 players.

Alucard

Banned

Crosby will probably sign a mega-deal between 9 and 10 million close to July 1st. Malkin will probably take the same...if we can get 2-3 seasons with Parise and/or Suter, and if that would bring the Cup back to Pittsburgh, I'd be all for it.

Crosby will probably sign a mega-deal between 9 and 10 million close to July 1st. Malkin will probably take the same...if we can get 2-3 seasons with Parise and/or Suter, and if that would bring the Cup back to Pittsburgh, I'd be all for it.

So only sign them for 2-3 seasons? I'm assuming they want long contracts and then try to rectify that later.

Top Bottom