• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Merguson

Banned
Told by very good source #Canucks G Roberto Luongo has - to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to #Blackhawks or #Leafs.

Only place Luongo is willing to be traded, as of today, is back to the Florida #Panthers.

From Aaron Portzline.

Leafs to go with Reimer and Scrivens confirmed.

Already meeting with Toronto agents.

Boo twice as loud for me please.

Leafs poaching of the Ducks continues!

Actually he's meeting with his agent in Toronto to field offers for teams. Brad Richards did the same thing, doesn't mean shit

Solo

You will regret this, Gally :lol

image.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
From Aaron Portzline.

Leafs to go with Reimer and Scrivens confirmed.

Leafs poaching of the Ducks continues!

Actually he's meeting with his agent in Toronto to field offers for teams. Brad Richards did the same thing, doesn't mean shit

I wonder where we are going to get a goaltender from lol wait isn't Aaron a CBJ beat writer? I don't believe him, then

Sad faccceee

Solo

I hope Schultz doesn't get a big contract. Sets a fucking terrible precedent for ungrateful little shit holdout players who haven't actually accomplished anything.

DopeyFish

I hope Schultz doesn't get a big contract. Sets a fucking terrible precedent for ungrateful little shit holdout players who haven't actually accomplished anything.

He's limited by ELC rules

So base pay of like 800,000~

Bonuses going up to like 3.3 million (strictly performance, etc etc)

Merguson

Banned

Pretty certain the max he can get is an entry draft contract plus maximum bonuses.. which is like a $3.75 million cap hit but he won't get those bonuses unless he reaches them.

Could be wrong but I'm certain that is how it works.

Solo

I'll defer to you guys then. For whatever reason I thought he got to enter as a UFA. So I guess he basically gets to choose his team then, since all offers will be equal.

DopeyFish

I thought he was entering as UFA.

Even if not, those bonuses are fucking ridiculous.

Well it will only be a caphit

The likeliness of him hitting all the bonuses are near impossible

And yeah while he's UFA he still is under the age of 27 or years of service ... And it's his first contract

The caphit for Tyler bozak was the same, 3.3 million for the first 2 years... Then his caphit became 1.5 iirc... Higher base pay, no more bonuses.

It's basically a protection mechanism for both teams and players. One so a player can't ask for bank, two so if a player actually becomes a god on skates... He is compensated for it. Blackhawks fans know Ll too well of these bonuses and how they murdered their team after the cup win lol

Parenteau would be a nice gamble. Some of those though like Kos? Really So he can sit on the beach sipping Mojitos with Bure on gameday?

Parenteau + Jokinen + Jokinen's forehead is what I'm expecting.

DopeyFish

This could get interesting

I wonder if Burke will attempt to go offer sheet route with Schneider

It will bomb out luongo price, if Florida signs any UFA... Chances are they might not want to take Lu because of his crazy salary

Puts Canucks in a tough spot, let's Schneider leave

I will be making popcorn in advance of said event... Burke did it before with kessel... :>

Solo

He was born in Quebec.. does that answer your question?

Well, not ALL of us Habs fans are pro-French Canadian players. Some of us just want great players, regardless of where they come from. I would rather roll the dice on Semin than acquire Parentheau.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The 4th Periods top 30 UFA list with interested teams.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30.html

Not buying into the Canes looking at Defense men. We already have a decent defense corp. and we have another great prospect who'd be making the move up this year. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if we got rid of one of them (McBain is usually the name thrown around for this).

JR has said his ultimate goal this summer is to land a high-end forward to play wing with Eric Staal (It's entirely possible that Eric may take wing for Jordan). There's a lot of talk that we're going to really gun for Parise, which would be awesome but I doubt he'd want to come to the Canes.

Montresor

This could get interesting

I wonder if Burke will attempt to go offer sheet route with Schneider

It will bomb out luongo price, if Florida signs any UFA... Chances are they might not want to take Lu because of his crazy salary

Puts Canucks in a tough spot, let's Schneider leave

I will be making popcorn in advance of said event... Burke did it before with kessel... :>

I think any option that costs a 2013 first rounder is out of the question. If there is a lockout the Leafs could win the lottery with that pick.

Solo

I think any option that costs a 2013 first rounder is out of the question. If there is a lockout the Leafs could win the lottery with that pick.

Speaking of which.....I know it happened in 2005 post-lockout/the Crosby draft, but I forget: in the event of a lockout, how is the draft handled in terms of the draft lottery and determining who gets MacKinnon number one pick?

Kinda funny that MacKinnon is being touted as the next Crosby and is could enter the league under the same circumstances as Crosby.

I thought he was entering as UFA.

Even if not, those bonuses are fucking ridiculous.

Every player entering the NHL under age 25 (I think) has to sign an ELC.

Due to his age, Schultz has to sign a 2-year, not the usual 3-year deal you see for 19-year olds.

After that he'll be an RFA and can sign for whatever he's worth.

Razorskin

----- ------
Speaking of which.....I know it happened in 2005 post-lockout/the Crosby draft, but I forget: in the event of a lockout, how is the draft handled in terms of the draft lottery and determining who gets MacKinnon number one pick?

Kinda funny that MacKinnon is being touted as the next Crosby and is could enter the league under the same circumstances as Crosby.

Wikipedia does a better job at explaining it.
As a lockout cancelled the games of the 2004–05 NHL season, the draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick. The new CBA reduced the draft to seven rounds in length, compared to nine rounds in years past.

Cake Boss

Banned
I love how overhyped these college kids are, its a big ass step from college to the NHL, especiall for skinny dman that have never played a pro game in their life.

DopeyFish

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Lot of Luongo talk about waiving/not waiving NTC. Here's my take: Process has yet to be that formal. His obvious preference is FLA, but...

@TSNBobMcKenzie: ...if FLA doesn't pan out, doors to TOR or elsewhere are not by any means closed. Step by step process that hasn't be formalized in any way.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: End of day, Luongo has to make sure he doesn't end up in CHI...with AHL Wolves. Right now, tho, FLA and TOR think VAN asking price too high.

Revenant

Will be interesting to see how the van G situation plays out. frankly it seems like van is stuck between a rock and a hard place since Gillis is doesn't want to admit its a salary dump.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
@TSNBobMcKenzie: End of day, Luongo has to make sure he doesn't end up in CHI...with AHL Wolves. Right now, tho, FLA and TOR think VAN asking price too high.

What does this even mean?

Alucard

Banned
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Lot of Luongo talk about waiving/not waiving NTC. Here's my take: Process has yet to be that formal. His obvious preference is FLA, but...

@TSNBobMcKenzie: ...if FLA doesn't pan out, doors to TOR or elsewhere are not by any means closed. Step by step process that hasn't be formalized in any way.

Luongo doesn't seem to know how to handle scrutiny, so FLA would be a better choice.

Do not want him with Markstrom nearly ready. Unless he retires in 2-3 years the cap hit would hamper not only our immediate needs (offense) but also the long term signing of our prospect studs. Unless we go for a massive dump Upshall, Santorelli, and Koepecky it isn't worth it.

DopeyFish

Luongo doesn't seem to know how to handle scrutiny, so FLA would be a better choice.

If he can't handle the pressure, why is he in a professional sport?

If you play in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Boston or Philadelphia... You -have- to perform

If he can't handle the pressure, why is he in a professional sport?

If you play in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Boston or Philadelphia... You -have- to perform
Funny thing is he left for that pressure. He wanted all the fanfare of a big market and the contract that would come with it.

Do not want him with Markstrom nearly ready. Unless he retires in 2-3 years the cap hit would hamper not only our immediate needs (offense) but also the long term signing of our prospect studs. Unless we go for a massive dump Upshall, Santorelli, and Koepecky it isn't worth it.

Even then would it be worth it ?

If Markstrom is nearly ready somewhere down the road you'll have the same situation as Vancouver with Schneider.

The media in Toronto would eat him alive, I can't fathom why he'd willingly go there, especially after being the whipping boy the past few years.

Compared to what he experiences in Vancouver, Toronto or Chicago would be a county club. Rancho Relaxo.

Moen to Canucks would be great. He's the player Gillis wanted when he signed Pahlsson.

Cactus

Banned
I don't buy the "Luongo can't handle pressure" argument. He helped lead his team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and he helped lead Team Canada to a gold medal. Both of those accomplishments necessitated a willingness to transcend the inordinate amounts of pressure placed on his shoulders.

If he goes to Florida, my guess is that it's mostly due to family reasons.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No lockout, please. When do the two sides go to the table to discuss the new CBA?

It's Donald Fehr, so I'm guessing there won't be much "discussion" going on.

I don't buy the "Luongo doesn't handle pressure" argument. He helped lead his team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals while under extreme pressure. He helped lead Team Canada to a gold medal while under extreme pressure. He handles pressure very well, IMO.

If he goes to Florida, my guess is that it's mostly due to family reasons.

I don't think it's "pressure", more like media scrutiny and getting the blame for everything.

Even then would it be worth it ?

If Markstrom is nearly ready somewhere down the road you'll have the same situation as Vancouver with Schneider.
That's the other part of it. HF boards are talking about getting Lou and trading Markstrom. It's insane. Marky is a long-term stud, he'll be hitting his peak meanwhile Lou is declining.

Top Bottom