• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Parise/Crosby comparison to Wade/Lebron is ludicrous.

Basketball players play almost the whole game. Hockey teams run 4 lines. Parise wouldn't come close to guaranteeing Pittsburgh a Cup, especially after that defensive meltdown in the playoffs.

Hockey is a team game--all the way down to the 4th line. Basketball isn't. With the way the game is played in the NHL now, you'll almost never see a guy take over the game.

Parise would also put the Pens in absolute cap hell.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Like Solo has already said, going for Parise is stupid, lack of offense isn't what killed the penguins in the playoffs.

Marvie_3

Banned
If he can do it again he'll be worth the money. The chances that he can now that everybody knows about him are slim I think. he should take a one year deal in Florida and prove himself.
Yeah and then he gets hurt and gets screwed long term. There's no way he takes a one year deal. Someone is going to offer him a multi-year deal and he's a fucking idiot if he doesn't take it.

Hey, if the Pens land Parise, those top 3 lines are going to be sexy hot. Even without Suter on defense, the Pens may be able to form a strong back line with a comeback season from Martin, and the emergence of Simon Despres. *fingers crossed and bunny tails*

It would be amazing, I just don't see that happening.

If you can't defend them, might as well outscore them!

I think instead of shootouts they should have a 5-10 minute overtime with no goalies and see who can score more for the final point.

Yeah and then he gets hurt and gets screwed long term. There's no way he takes a one year deal.

He didn't say he would. All I'm saying is that guy needs to prove himself. If I was a GM thats the only length of contract I'd be offering him. Anybody can get hurt at anytime.

Alucard

Banned
Like Solo has already said, going for Parise is stupid, lack of offense isn't what killed the penguins in the playoffs.

Agreed. I hope Shero goes hard after Suter before even considering Parise. Even without Zach on Crosby's wing, the Pens would be able to manage offensively. It was their defensive meltdown and Fleury's inability to stop anything that undid the Penguins these past playoffs. Seriously, in all my years of fandom, I've never witnessed a Pens team just totally collapse like that and embarrass themselves.

Alucard

Banned
It would be amazing, I just don't see that happening.

I think instead of shootouts they should have a 5-10 minute overtime with no goalies and see who can score more for the final point.

You don't see the Parise signing happening, or Martin making a comeback and Despres stepping it up?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Didn't Pittsburgh say they refused to frontload contracts as well?

Time to fantasize...

Dupuis - Crosby - Parise
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Kennedy - Sutter - Cooke
Asham - Vitale - Park

Letang - Suter
Orpik - Despres
Martin - Lovejoy

...possible dmen may include Niskanen, Pouliot, Maatta, and Engelland.

Really see Despres cracking the squad this season with Michalek gone. Or Engelland may just take Michalek's place. Gotta say that I love the top 3 lines.

More realistic if the Pens don't land Suter...

Letang - Martin
Orpik - Despres
Engelland - Lovejoy

...or one of the rookies crack the squad with a strong camp.

Time to fantastize...

*stares wistfully into the sky while a cloud shaped like Henrik Lundqvist slowly takes it's shirt off*

Lucky...

Heretic
Loves the Ducks
Hates the queens
(Today, 07:27 PM)
Quote | Edit

Make it happen, Bish!

Let's just count ourselves lucky that he hasn't given us obligatory Mighty Ducks quotes.

Alucard

Banned
No, the whole lines where we get everything we could dream of with suter, parise, etc. I hope Martin makes a comeback but I'm not hopeful either. :/

Oh, I meant just getting Parise and not getting Suter. As mentioned, I'd be happy with either one of them ending up in Pittsburgh. Either way, the Pens would become a better team.

Not optimistic about Martin making a comeback either, but hopeful...maybe he'll do some serious soul searching this offseason and realize he needs to go back to doing the things he did when he first got here.

Marvie_3

Banned
No, the whole lines where we get everything we could dream of with suter, parise, etc. I hope Martin makes a comeback but I'm not hopeful either. :/

Why does it matter to you where Suter & Parise go? No matter where they sign, they're guaranteed to be on one of your favorite teams.

Quick

Banned
I don't even know what is going on in this thread beside Heretic wanting a tag and Alucard's pre-cap line-up fantasy or something like that.

Just relieving tension for when the Leafs sign Parise, Suter, and Weber. Then proceed to trade a 7th round pick for Ryan, another 7th round pick for Perry, and a fleece sweater for Hiller.

Don't fight it, Dastardly and Heretic. Just let it in, bros.

ShaneB

I don't even know what is going on in this thread beside Heretic wanting a tag and Alucard's pre-cap line-up fantasy or something like that.

It's just after the playoffs, and the draft is over, and free agency is almost here, I think everyone is just going crazy missing hockey :p

Quick

Banned
It's just after the playoffs, and the draft is over, and free agency is almost here, I think everyone is just going crazy missing hockey :p

I'm going on vacation right on free agency. I'll probably be glued to my iPad all day checking TSN.

Red_Man

For the first time ever I'm enjoying the break, and not wanting the season to start asap. Still want to see what Bergevin is going to do with this roster, and see what happens with the prospects. I'm just burnt out from watch so many shitty rounds of playoff hockey.

Heretic

Heretic
Ducks fly together!
(Today, 12:10 AM)
I like it!
Heretic
Hop-Along Gretzky
(Today, 12:10 AM)

Dastardly Jerks
I'm no lady. I'M A DUCK!
(Today 10:50 PM)

lol!

Just relieving tension for when the Leafs sign Parise, Suter, and Weber. Then proceed to trade a 7th round pick for Ryan, another 7th round pick for Perry, and a fleece sweater for Hiller.

Don't fight it, Dastardly and Heretic. Just let it in, bros.

Goodness... after this weekend, I wouldn't doubt it.

ZeroGravity

Of all the available defensemen, I find it a little hard to believe the only one on that list the Lightning are showing interest in is Shane O'Brien. We're going to need a little more help than that.

Red_Man

Canucks interested in Travis Moen? Interesting.... Sounds good to me.
IF he makes it to free agency, which he most likely won't, there will be a lot of teams interested in him, he's a perfect 3rd liner and would be a valuable piece for teams looking at a Cup run. If he didn't get injured around the deadline, I think he would have been traded.

Of all the available defensemen, I find it a little hard to believe the only one on that list the Lightning are showing interest in is Shane O'Brien. We're going to need a little more help than that.
Either Dredger or Mackenzie said it a month back or so, because the UFA crop is so shit this year, a lot of teams will be looking to trades to make the appropriate changes for their teams. A lot of teams are looking to reshuffle their teams a bit.

Cake Boss

Banned
LOL that website is as bad as Eklund, why the fuck are we interested in bottom 6 forwards like Tootoo and Winick. We have a shit load of them.

ZeroGravity

Either Dredger or Mackenzie said it a month back or so, because the UFA crop is so shit this year, a lot of teams will be looking to trades to make the appropriate changes for their teams. A lot of teams are looking to reshuffle their teams a bit.
That's what I initially expected we'd do, but I believe Yzerman said he tried pretty hard to swing a deal for a d-man at the draft and no one was biting. Not sure if that changes between now and July 1st.

Red_Man

Habs need a top 4 d-man as well, I imagine after Suter and Parise are off the market, things will heat up.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Goodbye, Schultz. I'll make sure to boo the shit out of you when you're at the Ponda Center...

November 7.

EDIT: Can someone who understands the legal stuff tell me when he'll be able to sign/tell the public which team he'll sign with?

Heretic

LOL that website is as bad as Eklund, why the fuck are we interested in bottom 6 forwards like Tootoo and Winick. We have a shit load of them.

As much as U hate Tootoo, and boy do I hate him, he plays his role to the T. He would be a great addition to any team... except the Ducks.

Top Bottom