• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

q_q

Everyone talking Tampa and Chicago for Luongo

What about Detroit? They have the space, they could use the upgrade in goaltending, they could also give up their first and some prospects since they always get late draft gems anyways.

What is this I don't even...

Weird feeling. It's hard to be awfully mad when everyone wrote us off for dead last and set for the Yakupov sweepstakes. I think it's worse that so few teams worth cheering for are left.

Maybe it's for the best, get a better pick, hopefully someone decent is left.

Well feels go to be late to the party. Though we have some amazing prospects coming up.

Gone in the offseason- Wolski, Clemmer , Strum, Ellerby, Barch, Kopecky.

Coming up- Markstom, Huberdeau, Bjustard maybe Rau.

Bad7667

Can someone explain to me why Van would want to trade a goalie that has won them the president's twice and almost the Stanley Cup? And the games against LA he played really well, it was the rest of them team that had no drive for those 2 games he was in net.

It just seems a little quick to get rid of him.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can someone explain to me why Van would want to trade a goalie that has won them the president's twice and almost the Stanley Cup? And the games against LA he played really well, it was the rest of them team that had no drive for those 2 games he was in net.

It just seems a little quick to get rid of him.

Because...

a) the team, for whatever reason, seems to play better with Schneider in goal
b) Schneider has the potential to be just as good/stable as Luongo but is 7 years younger
c) The media considers Schneider the second coming of Jesus
d) Luongo's contract is a major pain in the ass and we're constantly at the cap limit.

and... uh yeah there's that.

Who are the top 16?

http://covervote.nhl.com/:b=chrome/#/ballot

Because...

b) Schneider has the potential to be just as good/stable as Luongo but is 7 years younger
d) Luongo's contract is a major pain in the ass and we're constantly at the cap limit.

and... uh yeah there's that.

http://covervote.nhl.com/:b=chrome/#/ballot

Malkin vs Stamkos.............fucking hell

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Been a while since we've heard anything about the Habs GM situation, but there's this tidbit from a media guy in Montreal :

"Julien Brisebois and Pierre McGuire are believed to be 2 of the 4 or 5 GM candidates granted 2nd interviews."

It's also been reported that Savard has met and had lunch with Roy which shouldn't really be a surprise. Good to see Molson is taking his time anyways and interviewing a lot of figures.

Cake Boss

Banned
Ok hello there, it has finally sunk in, but my wound still burns, my tears are making it worse.

This offseason needs to be focused entirely on fixing the defense. We are set in goal with Andy, Bish and Lehner. Forwards are awesome with Stone, Silfverberg and Zibanejad making the team next year.

Now the defense. Kuba wont be resigned and Gonchar might be traded at the deadline. Thats 2 top 4 that needs replacing. Desperate need of a two way dman that is also physical. Would love to trade for a Douglas Murray and maybe sign a free agent like a Bryan Allen or a Garisson.

Ok hello there, it has finally sunk in, but my wound still burns, my tears are making it worse.

This offseason needs to be focused entirely on fixing the defense. We are set in goal with Andy, Bish and Lehner. Forwards are awesome with Stone, Silfverberg and Zibanejad making the team next year.

Now the defense. Kuba wont be resigned and Gonchar might be traded at the deadline. Thats 2 top 4 that needs replacing. Desperate need of a two way dman that is also physical. Would love to trade for a Douglas Murray and maybe sign a free agent like a Bryan Allen or a Garisson.

1) I really doubt all 3 will make the team, not enough room ATM. Silfverberg for sure, maybe Zibanejad. Stone is too slow right now, I think he'll be in the AHL.
2) Not sure what we'll do to replace Kuba if we don't resign him, need an experienced D-man. Gonchar was one of our best D in the playoffs, I think he'll stay til the end, no one will take that contract anyway and we won't trade him at the deadline unless we're out of the playoff race.

Cake Boss

Banned
Stone will make it for sure if Alfie retires, especially with another summer with the skating coach. He did not look out of place in a playoff game as his first pro game. Just needs to work a bit more on his acceleration.

My lineup for next season

Silfverberg- Spezza- Michalek
Zibanejad- Turris- Alfie
Foligno- Smith- Stone
Greening- Konopka- Neil
Obrien/ Condra

Garrison- Karlsson
Cowen- Gonchar
Philips- Borocop
Carkner

Marvie_3

Banned
May as well finally list the moves I want for the offseason....

Players to keep:
Toews
Kane
Hossa
Carcillo
Shaw
Bollig
Hayes
Saad
Olsen
Seabrook

Keep but trade if the right deal comes along:
Sharp
Bolland
Stalberg
Crawford
Hjalmarsson
Keith
Leddy

Keep if they sign for cheap:
Mayers
Lepisto

Players that can fuck right off:
Emery
Kruger
Morrison
Bickell
Brunette
Frolik
Montador
O'Donnell
Oduya

Chicago badly needs a 2nd line center and defensive depth. I'm willing to give Crawford another chance because I'll chalk this season up to a sophomore slump. He played pretty well it the playoffs except for those awful OT goals and the 3rd period in Game 6. A better defense in front of him would go a long way to helping him turn things around.

Red_man said:
"Julien Brisebois and Pierre McGuire are believed to be 2 of the 4 or 5 GM candidates granted 2nd interviews."

If Pierre is hired I think the student riots will be joined by habs lifelongs

Can't argue that recently, although Luongo still played plenty well. My only concern with Schneider is he has the long term potential to steal games. He's good but he hasn't been winning us playoff series or going on elite-tier streaks either.

*nods*

I think c) is more that he has a really great sense of calm. He doesn't have that french Canadian anger streak.

It's not completely terrible. His salary is #3 but his cap hit is #8. The Salary drops steeply in 5 seasons, and the length of the contract means no negotiation drama.

The problem with keeping Schneider is we have to find some way to sign him at a reasonable number over a good contract length, otherwise he's just a far more valuable asset to deal. I mean, which situation would you want:

a. Luongo + either a high pick (ie: Grigorenko) or a 2nd line winger
b. Schneider + a short term, high cost contract player? (that we either resign in a few years or release for cap space)

I think there's arguments both ways.

Red_Man

If Pierre is hired I think the student riots will be joined by habs lifelongs
Meh, as creepy as he is as a commentator the guy has an unbelievable knowledge of the game and passion for it as well, especially the Montreal market. If he's behind the scenes pulling the strings where we don't have to listen to his homoerotic commentary of minor league players I wouldn't mind all that much.

Next year's roster as I see it now :

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Leblanc - Eller - Moen
Geoffrion - White - Staubitz

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Weber - Kaberle
Diaz

Price
Budaj

That is a healthy lineup that is worst case scenario basically without any additions from the UFA group seeing as the only ones we could benefit from are Parise and Sutter and the chances of either of them coming to Montreal are about 3%. I don't think our 3rd pick will be in the lineup either unless its Grigorenko. I'm actually comfortable with that lineup with Gionta back, and if Bourque can get his game back we should be fine, especially with a stable coach and management. We also have Gallagher to consider, as well as Palushaj who was making some good strides towards the end of the season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Meh, as creepy as he is as a commentator the guy has an unbelievable knowledge of the game and passion for it as well, especially the Montreal market. If he's behind the scenes pulling the strings where we don't have to listen to his homoerotic commentary of minor league players I wouldn't mind all that much.

Leblanc - Eller - Moen

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Weber - Kaberle
Diaz

Price
Budaj

That is a healthy lineup that is worst case scenario basically without any additions from the UFA group seeing as the only ones we could benefit from are Parise and Sutter and the chances of either of them coming to Montreal are about 3%. I don't think our 3rd pick will be in the lineup either unless its Grigorenko. I'm actually comfortable with that lineup with Gionta back, and if Bourque can get his game back we should be fine, especially with a stable coach and management. We also have Gallagher to consider, as well as Palushaj who was making some good strides towards the end of the season.

Dude where's Gomez? I don't see him in there.

May as well finally list the moves I want for the offseason....

Players that can fuck right off:
Emery
Kruger
Morrison
Bickell
Brunette
Frolik
Montador
O'Donnell
Oduya
That's racist.

He'd probably scare away all your prospects though.

Dude where's Gomez? I don't see him in there.

Wasn't the plan to release him? His contract is bad but his cap hit is _absurd_. (7.3m) According to capgeek, it looks like a buyout would give the Habs an extra 3m of cap space for the next two seasons?

Goddamn that is a bad contract

EDIT: Minors is a good point, apt punishment I guess

Red_Man

Wasn't the plan to release him? His contract is bad but his cap hit is _absurd_. (7.3m) According to capgeek, it looks like a buyout would give the Habs an extra 3m of cap space for the next two seasons?

Goddamn that is a bad contract
He'll either be traded to a team who needs to reach the cap floor or be sent to the minors.

Solo

Leblanc - Eller - Moen

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Weber - Kaberle
Diaz

Price
Budaj

Exact same team as this season? u mad? No playoffs again if that happens.

Seguin

Banned
Kessel didn't even make the last 16 for the NHL13 cover vote? Even Subban made it. Stupid Leafs fans and their lack of vote stuffing.

The voting for the contest doesn't matter, EA already knows who is going to be the cover person and this is to drum up interest. They knew Leafs fans would hammer their website voting since having a Leaf on the cover of the game is all they have going for them, so they just took Kessel out early.

Red_Man

Exact same team as this season? u mad? No playoffs again if that happens.
That's worst case scenario, and we could make the playoffs with that. We were missing Gio for half a season, Markov for 70 games, had no real 4th line, cammy playing like shit along with Pleks. If Daveys line can keep going and pleks can get some chemistry with gio and bourque we should be fine. The only other way the roster changes is through trades, and I can't predict how that will go. With a stable coaching system, lineup and legit top 4 and top 6 we can get into the playoffs.

Solo

Same lineup = still no secondary scoring. Habs have to do something through trades to find a legit top six player to play with Plekanec.

Red_Man

If Gio, Pleks and Bourque all play up to their expectations that's around 75 more goals, plus Eller's line could hit 35-45. Also a structured PP with Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Diaz, Weber on the points could be one of the best in the league, we just need a competent coach that doesn't shuffle lines every 30 seconds.

Seguin

Banned
If Gio, Pleks and Bourque all play up to their expectations that's around 75 more goals, plus Eller's line could hit 35-45. Also a structured PP with Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Diaz, Weber on the points could be one of the best in the league, we just need a competent coach that doesn't shuffle lines every 30 seconds.

Hahahaha wow

"If our second line averages 25 goals a player we'll be in great shape!"

Red_Man

Most importantly, will the Habs coach speak French?
WXtAQ.jpg

MacAttack

Doesn't sound it to me. Unless Horton is done maybe, but we could still fill that role by other means.
Bruins didn't have anybody internally that could fill that role this season so if they re-sign the free agents currently on the roster and Horton can't play they are in the same position they were at the end of this year. Up against the cap and missing a top 6 forward without enough depth to replace him.

Unless you think Caron will improve enough to be a top six player next year or that Seguin will make another big step forward, I think it's risky to just stay the course without making some kind of move.

Red_Man

Apparently Montreal has asked for and received permission to speak with Alain Vigneault.

Cake Boss

Banned
Borowiecki plays the left side so you won't see him with Philips.

He did in his NHL debut this season and looked really good, I thought he skated better than Philips and handled the puck with poise unlike Philips the grenade puck handler. I think the kid has Brooks Orpik potential, good skater with a mean streak. You could tell the organization is high on him when they almost started him in game 7 over Gilroy.

I wish Barret Jackman doesnt resign with StLouis, because that would be an awesome addition on the blueline and Jason Garisson could be as well to replace Kuba, that nasty shot on the PP with Karlsson would be deadly.

Sanjuro

So 2 years from now when Thomas retires, what happens in net. I kniw they have Hydoken but what if he doesnt work out.

You have to keep Rask as long as you can, unless next season we have a sever drop on the attack. Personally, I don't like Rask much.

MacAttack

There are still questions about Rask and his trade value is as high as it will ever be while still having a short term solution in Thomas. In the meantime you use hadoken as TTs backup and see if he can be a number 1 when Thomas retires.

If all else fails, when Thomas retires, hope they get lucky with a journeyman UFA until they can develop another prospect through the draft or trade.

MacAttack

Thomas to Chicago could be a good fit. A short term fix until Crawford is ready.
What do you get back for Thomas since he has an expiring contract at the end of next year? Bruins don't need more depth guys, they need a bona fide 25-30 goal scorer as insurance if Horton can't come back.

Top Bottom