• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

If Doan handled Winnipeg, he can handle anywhere.

Can't believe he's testing free agency. I thought he was loyal as hell to the Desert Dickheads for a bit there...

He only 'handled' Winnipeg in the loosest sense: One season as a rookie.

I'd of course love to see him in the Blue & White, but I don't think he'd like living in a city like Toronto.

Quick

Banned
He only 'handled' Winnipeg in the loosest sense: One season as a rookie.

I'd of course love to see him in the Blue & White, but I don't think he'd like living in a city like Toronto.

Not to say he'd crumble under pressure, but coming from the hockey hotbed Phoenix to centre of the hockey universe Toronto is quite the leap.

Not to say he'd crumble under pressure, but coming from the hockey hotbed Phoenix to centre of the hockey universe Toronto is quite the leap.

I know, the post Dastardly was replying to was me saying just that. He's a great competitor - the kind of player Burke wishes he had the gams to bring in on the easy - hence why I'd like him on our team.

Him being an 'anti-francophone' wouldn't surprise me in the least. The farther west you go in our grand country, the more open the racism and ethnic bigotry.

Marvie_3

Banned
I know, the post Dastardly was replying to was me saying just that. He's a great competitor - the kind of player Burke wishes he had the gams to bring in on the easy - hence why I'd like him on our team.

Him being an 'anti-francophone' wouldn't surprise me in the least. The farther west you go in our grand country, the more open the racism and ethnic bigotry.
So Canada's West = America's South?

Not exactly, bible belt = oil belt. BC is the same as the rest of Canada, not racist/bigoted at all here oo

I'm obviously speaking from personal experience; 18 years in the GTA, 12 in Victoria/Vancouver. I've just encountered much more pure racism out here than I ever did back in Ontario.

'Course, I didn't mention Quebec itself <Herouxville>

Not exactly, bible belt = oil belt. BC is the same as the rest of Canada, not racist/bigoted at all here oo

Hell, if you really wanted to deeply follow that mass generalism, BC is Asia.

Not surprised Doan is testing the waters. My guess is that he badly wants to re-sign but Coyotes ownership situation is such a mess he may as well drag out his FA period until there's more info.

Cake Boss

Banned
Dredger said this is a result of the shit management in Phoenix, he said if they had competent management in place, Doan would have had a deal a long time ago.

@DarrenDreger: As a pending UFA Doan has earned the right to see what the market is offering. With solid ownership a new deal would have been done long ago

2 hours ago
@DarrenDreger: Shane Doan wants to stay in Arizona, but ownership instability may force him to test free agency. The list of interested teams will be long.

Ownership isn't management.

If management knew if they had money to resign Doan, they would have a long time ago.

@DarrenDreger: As a pending UFA Doan has earned the right to see what the market is offering. With solid ownership a new deal would have been done long ago

2 hours ago
@DarrenDreger: Shane Doan wants to stay in Arizona, but ownership instability may force him to test free agency. The list of interested teams will be long.

Ownership isn't management.

If management knew if they had money to resign Doan, they would have a long time ago.

I'm sure the tax payers of Arizona would love to fund Doan's new contract to stay in Phoenix.

What's the anticipated cap hit for Doan? Would he sign for a Jagr-esque salary? Cuz then I'd imagine Homer would make an offer because why not.

EDIT: O who am I kidding.... Homer will make an offer whether we can afford it or not....

Alucard

Banned
The curse of Taylor Swift...
1853_1340676745.jpg

Only one guy left from when this was taken in October 2009.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You guys will probably get some good return at a trade deadline when playoff team needs a playoff hero.

I'm obviously speaking from personal experience; 18 years in the GTA, 12 in Victoria/Vancouver. I've just encountered much more pure racism out here than I ever did back in Ontario.

'Course, I didn't mention Quebec itself <Herouxville>

Southern Alberta is full of social conservatives with Calgary being the capital. Vancouver is liberal compared to here.

To keep this hockey related, Ralph Krueger is going to be named Oilers head coach tomorrow. I'm actually fine with that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Southern Alberta is full of social conservatives with Calgary being the capital. Vancouver is liberal compared to here.

To keep this hockey related, Ralph Krueger is going to be named Oilers head coach tomorrow. I'm actually fine with that.

Ralph Krueger's great, his work with the Swiss National team was good and he was very well liked. Plus, he seemed like a great guy. Good choice. I hope you guys finally make it out of the lottery picks... you're past the "it's getting embarassing" stage and now in the full "if you don't make it next time you should be relegated" phase...

Smiley90

Mind if I join the hockey talk, annually disappointed Flames fan here. :)

What'd you think of the draft? General consensus here was/is rofllol@your management... Similarly to Toronto, refusing to admit they need to rebuild and lacking good prospects... and this draft picking someone from High School...?

PS: I like Baertschi.

ZEDGE YOU HAVE A BROTHER!!!!!

How long before we ask him if he likes furries too?

CREMSteve

I watched Baertschi play against the Rockets in the playoffs, kid's got mad skill. For the first time in recent memory, we actually have something to look forward to heading into next season.

Smiley90

I watched Baertschi play against the Rockets in the playoffs, kid's got mad skill. For the first time in recent memory, we actually have something to look forward to heading into next season.

I remember when he got called up and scored like 3 goals in his first 4 games and everyone was extremely confused as to since when Calgary had a prospect worth remembering.

CREMSteve

Definitely no furry interest here. :p

Re: the Draft... was ready to throw my TV out the window when Calgary traded away their #14 pick at a time when so many highly-ranked prospects had slid and were still available.

I admired that they were one of the few teams that had a jersey with the kid's name ready to go on it, showed me a serious commitment. Don't see that very often.

I can't say one way or the other if it was a smart move, I've never seen Jankowski play. Couldn't even find a youtube vid of him in action, so he's a complete mystery to me.

Not thrilled they used a pick to draft a goalie though, Flames have more than enough goalies in the system, Kiprusoff, Irving, Karlsson, Ramo, Ortio and Brossoit. Why they wanted another is again, a mystery to me.

But hey, in management we trust, right? :)

ShaneB

Ralph Krueger's great, his work with the Swiss National team was good and he was very well liked. Plus, he seemed like a great guy. Good choice. I hope you guys finally make it out of the lottery picks... you're past the "it's getting embarassing" stage and now in the full "if you don't make it next time you should be relegated" phase...

Was going to ask about him since I'm not familiar with his work or style at all. Glad to hear some positive feedback on him. The Oilers really need to step it up with the talent they've been getting with those picks.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lupul asked some chick on twitter to send him nude pics so she showed everyone his dm's because apparently she's an attention seeking whore. He's an idiot for even asking though.

Smiley90

Definitely no furry interest here. :p

Re: the Draft... was ready to throw my TV out the window when Calgary traded away their #14 pick at a time when so many highly-ranked prospects had slid and were still available.

I admired that they were one of the few teams that had a jersey with the kid's name ready to go on it, showed me a serious commitment. Don't see that very often.

I can't say one way or the other if it was a smart move, I've never seen Jankowski play. Couldn't even find a youtube vid of him in action, so he's a complete mystery to me.

Not thrilled they used a pick to draft a goalie though, Flames have more than enough goalies in the system, Kiprusoff, Irving, Karlsson, Ramo, Ortio and Brossoit. Why they wanted another is again, a mystery to me.

But hey, in management we trust, right? :)

Guys, guys, everyone go home, nothing to see here... poor zedge, still no friends.

also, in SOME managements we trust... You sure about yours? ;)

Lupul asked some chick on twitter to send him nude pics so she showed everyone his dm's because apparently she's an attention seeking whore. He's an idiot for even asking though.

:lol that's what it looked like, you just don't do that as a pro-athlete, sorry.. or at least not with your official account. -facepalm-

CREMSteve

I remember when he got called up and scored like 3 goals in his first 4 games and everyone was extremely confused as to since when Calgary had a prospect worth remembering.

Agreed.

I'd argue though, that things are more promising from a prospect perspective than they have been since I started watching hockey many, many years ago.

Sven Baertschi, John Gaudreau, Laurent Brossoit, TJ Brodie, Tyler Wotherspoon, Roman Cervenka, Max Reinhart... and dare I dream... Mark Jankowski?

If you know anything about these players, that's a pretty exciting lineup of fresh faces getting ready to make this team over the next few years. It will be a welcome change of pace, at the very least.

Top Bottom