• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Merguson

Banned
So the Flames acquired Wideman's rights and signed him to a five-year deal contract. Gave up a 5th and Jordan Henry.

Cap hit is $5.25 million.

Cake Boss

Banned
For 5.2M

i0ZTXzM8vSMee.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"#Habs are among 4 or 5 NHL teams expressing interest in adding Larry Robinson to their coaching staffs"

Make it happen Bergevin.

Where's the new Flames fan? We need his opinion on this brilliant signing stat!

Sucks that Wideman is off the market, would have been a nice plan B if we don't get Suter, however LOL at that contract. You just have to think that it is only a matter of time before Iginla is out of there before he retires to try to get a cup.

Would be cool to see Duchene get the goal of the year thing on the NHL page. Might make him sulk less about the season as a whole, every time he's been on a downward slope he really gets stuck in a sulking rut. Thought it was an age thing but his peers don't seem to have the same issue.

And now for your daily laugh of the day, though Calgary seems to have already done that. Oh Eklund....

On Kovalchuk and the Islanders..

The big news we can finally discuss is surrounding NJ today, where there is some wild speculation that the team could sign Parise and trade Kovalchuk to be able to be in a better position to sell the franchise. I was told about this by various sources earlier in the week, but now it's been intensifying...to say the least...Who could take on kovalchuk's contract? Who is interested? I was told four teams...The Wild, the Red Wings, the Islanders and the Canadiiens...

Many will dismiss this as being a crazy rumor...It sounds crazy, it may not happen, but I can assure you...it isn't.

The Wild are going to make a splash and if not Parise why not Ilya? The Red Wings have all sorts of money and NEVER shy away from getting top, elite talent. The Canadiens have a need to get a star player on board, but taxes would take a big chunk from Kovalchuk's salary...however it could possibly be made up for in endorsement revenue...(interesting dilemma here..If Molson were to pay Kovy an endorsement contract to make up for lost money in taxes, would that be circumventing the CBA? And would the Islanders, who have really looked to be a team setting themselves up to sell, take on such a contract?

He also put up a list on what is E# means... :lol

E1 - This is a rumor that comes from a single reliable source not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved.
E2 - This rumor is simply more than one reliable sources not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved and not connected to each other. It does not have to equate to two E1's. It could be several E1's.
E3 - This rumor comes from a single source with ties somehow to the players or teams involved.
E4 - This rumor comes from more than one source with ties to the players or teams involved.
E5 - This rumor comes from source telling Eklund the deal is 100% done and just has not been announced yet.

Cagey

Banned
Suter's going to be a bargain in comparison to that Wideman disaster.

EDIT: LOL at that Eklund rumor.

e1-e4 = Eklund made it up
e5 = Eklund almost certainly made it up, 1% chance its true

Wideman's put up similar career numbers to Liles and gets a contract worth 1.75 million more. Calgary sure has a knack for handing out expensive contracts to average defensemen.

cube444

Wideman was on for 65% of the even-strength goals against the Capitals in the playoffs this spring.

Luckily the Flames don't have to worry about that.

Good news Sabres fans:

Rick Jeanneret has changed his mind, and that’s great news for Buffalo Sabres fans.

After initially announcing his intention to once again miss a handful of games during the season, the NHL’s longest-tenured broadcaster has decided to call all 82 games of the Sabres’ 2012-13 schedule.

Jeanneret, who will receive the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award at the Hockey Hall of Fame this fall, explained that many things came into play before making his final decision. Most notably, the Sabres will only play a franchise-low 11 sets of back-to-back games in 2012-13, after leading the league in back-to-backs during each of the last two seasons.

No Kevin Sylvester, no Harry Neale, things are looking good.

Montresor

Wideman's put up similar career numbers to Liles and gets a contract worth 1.75 million more. Calgary sure has a knack for handing out expensive contracts to average defensemen.

Good comparison. Cake_Boss comparing the Wideman contract to Norris-winning, almost-elite offensive defenseman Karlsson is unfair - it makes Wideman look incredibly bad, but Karlsson was an RFA signing his first contract beyond his ELC.

Good comparison. Cake_Boss comparing the Wideman contract to Norris-winning, almost-elite offensive defenseman Karlsson is unfair - it makes Wideman look incredibly bad, but Karlsson was an RFA signing his first contract beyond his ELC.

RFAs sign big deals coming out of their ELC all the time now if they've earned it (Stamkos, Doughty). There's no restrictions.

It just goes to show how drafting >>>>>> free agency. Get way more for your money.

Also LOL@ "almost-elite"

Montresor

RFAs sign big deals coming out of their ELC all the time now if they've earned it (Stamkos, Doughty). There's no restrictions.

It just goes to show how drafting >>>>>> free agency. Get way more for your money.

Also LOL@ "almost-elite"

Are you butthurt about me using the word almost-elite? I tried to be as flattering as possible about Karlsson without personally unzipping his pants. He's a great young defenseman who I'd love on my team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Feels good to have a GM make a retarded move like this, and it not be the guy running the Habs anymore.

Down Goes Brown said:
"Why does this guy keep blinking 'RUN' in morse code?" RT @TSNRyanRishaug: Oilers intention is to have Taylor Hall part of Schultz pitch.
:lol :lol

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Are you butthurt about me using the word almost-elite? I tried to be as flattering as possible about Karlsson without personally unzipping his pants. He's a great young defenseman who I'd love on my team.

Maybe you should have put quotes around the word defenseman. I'm happy we got something for Wideman. He is decent on offense but I was expecting a goal everytime the puck entered our zone when he was on the ice.

Would be cool to see Duchene get the goal of the year thing on the NHL page. Might make him sulk less about the season as a whole, every time he's been on a downward slope he really gets stuck in a sulking rut. Thought it was an age thing but his peers don't seem to have the same issue.

Peers on the avs or peers around the league?

Both honestly.

Who do you think is much better? Seems everyone is sort of stuck in a rut or on a downward trend. The only one who looked good was Landy the rest are content with their 18-19 goals a year. Even O'Reilly as much as he's improved was in the same clumping in points as duchene and stastny for being the top line. Everyone just seems content with mediocrity throughout the organization whether management, coach, or players. I think one of the reasons downie was so successful when he first got there was he was one of the few to care besides landy. He was willing to fight for the puck and get the dirty goals and fight for the puck in front of the net. The avs don't get second chances and no one stands out most of the time to put on pressure or live up to the potential they have and proved they had in prior years. Everyone just wants to be mediocre.

Beating up Boyle earned him a 2nd year

That could've easily backfired considering we played with 5D the rest of the game.

We have other guys who can fight and can actually play hockey. Plus he blew his knee out last summer, who knows what shape he is in ?

Too risky for 1 year, we can get someone else or just bring up Gryba.

Who do you think is much better? Seems everyone is sort of stuck in a rut or on a downward trend. The only one who looked good was Landy the rest are content with their 18-19 goals a year. Even O'Reilly as much as he's improved was in the same clumping in points as duchene and stastny for being the top line. Everyone just seems content with mediocrity throughout the organization whether management, coach, or players. I think one of the reasons downie was so successful when he first got there was he was one of the few to care besides landy. He was willing to fight for the puck and get the dirty goals and fight for the puck in front of the net. The avs don't get second chances and no one stands out most of the time to put on pressure or live up to the potential they have and proved they had in prior years. Everyone just wants to be mediocre.

When O'Reilly was playing bad offensively he picked up his defensive game and made it even stronger. Duchene throws in the towel after a series of bad games or even bad luck games. His entire play suffers from it, granted it wasn't as bad as it was in his sophmore year it was still very apparent that he has poor footing on a neutral mental state. Shit's either going great or it's all terrible.

That's just what I see in his play though. I'm not a psychologist.

Top Bottom