• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Vman

I did the math, based of off what we know from most cap circumvention contracts (Ehrhoff), the real contract underneath is probably a 6-year $45-48 million that has a hit of around $7.5 - 8 million. The last 4 years are almost certainly cap circumvent years.

But yeah. Quick pretty much got paiiiid.

:lol He's not going to the Wilds.

You just watch, we sign Suter, Parise, and Shultz.

(We are not signing any of them)

Heretic

This sort of feels like when you ask the prettiest girl to the prom and she says yes then when you go pick her up you find out she went with your friend without telling you...

SOME FRIENDS YOU ARE!!!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fuck all of you guys that are on the short list...
za0YB.jpg

This sort of feels like when you ask the prettiest girl to the prom and she says yes then when you go pick her up you find out she went with your friend without telling you...

SOME FRIENDS YOU ARE!!!

We got kicked off the list, so I'm in your party of hoping he fails and becomes a complete waste! Wings and Ducks alliance for life!

Entropia

No One Remembers
My friends thoughts on Schultz - "If he can play hockey half as well as he's playing the broken NCAA/NHL system, he'll be great."

We're all good friends who have each others backs until your team name appears on Schultz's short list and suddenly it's every man for himself. BUNCHA VULTURES IN HERE MAN.

Not long now til Jordan Staal signs with Carolina. Mckenzie brings up a good point that if he didn't sign for 10 years 6m in Pittsburgh then he'll probably take the same, and not less, in Carolina. Would Canes fans be comfortable with that?

Heretic

We're all good friends who have each others backs until your team name appears on Schultz's short list and suddenly it's every man for himself. BUNCHA VULTURES IN HERE MAN.

Not long now til Jordan Staal signs with Carolina. Mckenzie brings up a good point that if he didn't sign for 10 years 6m in Pittsburgh then he'll probably take the same, and not less, in Carolina. Would Canes fans be comfortable with that?
I'm thinking he won't mind signing for a LITTLE less just so he can play with his brother.

SOME FRIENDS YOU ARE!!!
To be fair, it's more like you adopted a pair of sisters promising them that they'd be able to spend happy lives playing together near the beach and under the sun. Only one day, you feel a sudden throbbing urge to have your winkie tugged and the penny whore from the filthy side of the town caught your attention. You alread spent all your money on cocaine, so you send one of the sister and the cancer girl that you didn't really care much for over for the penny whore. The other sister, feeling betrayed, contacted child services and was told that she could drop out of school and be sent to a another foster home of her choosing. Feeling this was the only option, she accepts this path and proceeds with the paperwork. You, in your drunk stupor and hysteria, couldn't understand why she would want to leave this beautiful home you've built with the penny whore, and demand that she stay, even promising to go out and harass the foster families that wanted her.

Long story short: Degrassi

Red_Man

To be fair, it's more like you adopted a pair of sisters promising them that they'd be able to spend happy lives playing together near the beach and under the sun. Only one day, you feel a sudden throbbing urge to have your winkie tugged and the penny whore from the filthy side of the town caught your attention. You alread spent all your money on cocaine, so you send one of the sister and the cancer girl that you didn't really care much for over for the penny whore. The other sister, feeling betrayed, contacted child services and was told that she could drop out of school and be sent to a another foster home of her choosing. Feeling this was the only option, she accepts this path and proceeds with the paperwork. You, in your drunk stupor and hysteria, couldn't understand why she would want to leave this beautiful home you've built with the penny whore, and demand that she stay, even promising to go our and harass the foster families that wanted her with his shotgun and drunk rage.
berneydidnotread.gif

Sorry, I've wanted to use the gif forever

Yes, there are ongoing negotiations between Vancouver and Florida. Canucks general manager Mike Gillis is driving the bus and the bus is in low gear. Nothing has changed since the NHL Draft but there is an ongoing negotiation. The Panthers didn't like the first approach from Gillis and countered with another offer but I wouldn't say that it's close. The Toronto Maple Leafs did express interest but I'm also told the Leafs are not engaged in discussions with Vancouver at this stage.

-Dreger
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip711585#clip711585

Red_Man

Why the Panthers would give up anything for Luo when they have Markstrom waiting is beyond me.

Socreges

Banned
Why the Panthers would give up anything for Luo when they have Markstrom waiting is beyond me.
Because Florida just made the playoffs for the first time in years and want to remain/become competitive immediately. They've got a good core at the moment and maybe don't feel that they can afford to be patient.

The only possible reason is management wants Markstrom to go a full AHL year to test his knees (2 surgeries 2 years) and they are not confident in Theo's health next year. Lou starting and Theo backup would be assurance in the net. The flip side is Lou's elephant contract. Marky is starter ready in 2 years tops, Lou creates problems in the long run. Unless he retires in 4 years it makes no sense to do this.

Revenant

Dale Tallon is like one of those crazy used car salesmen....

STEP RIGHT UP STEP RIGHT UP! GOT OVERPAID DEFENSEMEN? USED GOALIES LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME!

Come down to Crazy Uncle Dale's where we turn your trash into a new treasure! WE WILL TAKE ANYTHING AND HAVE YOU WALKING OUT WITH A SHINY NEW PLAYER. YOU CAN'T LOSE!

AND RIGHT NOW IF YOU TRADE US A PLAYER WITH A SALARY OF 3 MILLION OR ABOVE YOU WALK OUT WITH A FREE DRAFT PICK! YOU HEARD US......FREE!

So come on down to Crazy Uncle Dale's where we pass the savings on down to you!

tallon-dale-160-2026.jpg

Socreges

Banned
On second thought I think Rev has it pegged.

The only possible reason is management wants Markstrom to go a full AHL year to test his knees (2 surgeries 2 years) and they are not confident in Theo's health next year. Lou starting and Theo backup would be assurance in the net. The flip side is Lou's elephant contract. Marky is starter ready in 2 years tops, Lou creates problems in the long run. Unless he retires in 4 years it makes no sense to do this.
If he can be traded once, he can be traded twice (assuming his play doesn't deteriorate).

Revenant

Bernier on the market also makes things interesting. Vancouver might have to hold pat with Luongo in the mean time. Wonder how Schneider is going to approach this summer.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i forgot about one thing in this whole schultz deal which makes me take back what i previously said

Schultz' parents are Canucks season ticket holders.

yeahhhhh.....

Bernier on the market also makes things interesting. Vancouver might have to hold pat with Luongo in the mean time. Wonder how Schneider is going to approach this summer.
Bernier was always on the market, and I don't think he'll affect much. He's got the potential for sure, but I think he's still ways away from being an undisputed starter in this league. I think he's on par with Lindback in terms of worth and impact. He'll be a good piece on a team looking to grow a goalie, but he is by no means a sure thing at this point.

Schneider's in a very interesting and unique position. He isn't just a really good goaltender, but he's also very smart, has a degree in business, and knows the ins and outs of the CBA. He's probably taking the whole CBA negotiations into account right now, which is why it's taking a while.

i forgot about one thing in this whole schultz deal which makes me take back what i previously said

Schultz' parents are Canucks season ticket holders.

yeahhhhh.....

No, no, Dopey. He's going to the Leafs. Reverse jinx must continue.

Maybe?

"If a player waives a clause to accept a trade to a new team, it is rare he will do so without a promise that the acquiring team will continue to honour the clause."

This is me @ the both of you right now:

iH8aOpXstddxg.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
WTF Bernier asked for a trade

WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED

I NEED TO TOUCH MYSELF IN ADVANCE OF HIS POTENTIAL ARRIVAL

Top Bottom