• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
Sens are apparently interested in PAP, we'll see what happens on July 1st, we need a top-6 and the thought of trading for Nash makes me sick.
tumblr_lkv675Tttc1qi9cauo1_500.png

Cactus

Banned
Signing Parenteau would be a risk, IMO. He's had success while playing with specific linemates on a specific team (like Ville Leino), but he's had very little success outside of that comfort zone.

Fei

I legit cannot wait until the next terrible UFA contract is handed out so I don't have to be reminded of Ville Leino so often. :\

Signing Parenteau would be a risk, IMO. He's had success while playing with specific linemates on a specific team (like Ville Leino), but he's had very little success outside of that comfort zone.

First of all there's no such thing as an FA signing without risk. Gotta bite the bullet sometime. I'd prefer signing him than selling the farm for Nash.

Everyone says he only got his points playing with Tavares but apparently that's not true, he did well on other lines.

Sens don't typically attract top end FAs, PAP is from Hull so that's a plus. He's probably the only FA we might some leverage with, it's not much(if anything) but it's there.

Yeah especially after watching Zibby in this dev camp, just a step ahead of everyone else at just 18 years old.

Yeah I read that too. Still you want to ease him in instead of tossing him out there against top lines. Silfverberg is the only one I'd do it since he's older and he's been playing against men in the SEL for years.

Zibanejad has mad skills but he still seems a little raw for me but we'll see in training camp.

Alucard

Banned
Just caught the Crosby contract news. If he's healthy, that's a good deal. He could've easily asked for 10 million, but opted to make the same as he was before.

P.S. Crosby is signed for $7.5 million in 2012-2013, as per his old contract.

Still room for Suter or Parise. July 1st. Get in me.

I've said it before and cactus just said it now. PAP is this years ville leino. He's an idiot for leaving the island.

Ville Leino should have known losing Briere and Hartnell was going to destroy his productivity, but he was also a little older and needed to get paid for the first time in his career. One year at his current salary was probably financially worth the move for him even if he got injured and never played again. PA is in the same position.

My take on schultz situation :

He's signing with the leafs, putting on this show to make it seem like there's no tampering involved by gardiner

I agree that is a show but what makes you think he's signing with the Leafs (besides being a fan ?) Are him and Gardiner lovers or something ? he has friends on the Rangers from college too I think.

If he's willing to go such lengths to screw over the Ducks I can't imagine it'd for anything other than play in BC with the Canucks. Lots of players in the past have pulled strings to some extent to "go home", I don't recall anyone moving teams just wanting to play with a friend. But that's just me we'll see.

Ultimately I think he'll do what him and his agent think is best for his career. It's a huge decision.

Cactus

Banned
First of all there's no such thing as an FA signing without risk. Gotta bite the bullet sometime. I'd prefer signing him than selling the farm for Nash.

Everyone says he only got his points playing with Tavares but apparently that's not true, he did well on other lines.

Sens don't typically attract top end FAs, PAP is from Hull so that's a plus. He's probably the only FA we might some leverage with, it's not much(if anything) but it's there.

He may have spent some time on other lines, but the majority of his time was spent with the two best players on the team. There were 11 forwards other than Parenteau who played at least 20 games for the Islanders last season. Out of those 11 forwards, only three played significant minutes alongside Parenteau, and two of those three are Tavares and Moulson. His 2010/2011 linemate breakdown is even more sparse, with around 75% of his minutes shared with Tavares/Moulson. To compare, Leino played around 80% of his minutes with Hartnell/Briere before signing with Buffalo. (numbers taken from behindthenet.ca)

I'm not saying that he isn't worth taking a chance on, but if he wants a significant raise on a multi-year deal, I would personally stay the hell away.

Guys like him chase their wallets and end up regretting it. I've had this guy on my team before. He's not that great.

Fair points but every player chases the money. Plus Leino had one good year on a stacked team, he's had 2 on a not so stacked team.

I don't know anything about his time with the Rangers but it seems he didn't get much of a chance and for whatever reason it didn't work out. He seemed to light it up in Hartford though.

Do you blame him for not wanting to stay on the Island ? It's hard to see any sort of future there right now. He's got a chance to cash in and go to a better organization.

He could bust or he could do well, depends on where he goes I guess.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hes a good complementary player but he cant be trusted on to carry a line for you, he has the hockey sense to feed off the high end talent like Tavares and knows where to be on the ice, thats basically it.

He may have spent some time on other lines, but the majority of his time was spent with the two best players on the team. There were 11 forwards other than Parenteau who played at least 20 games for the Islanders last season. Out of those 11 forwards, only three played significant minutes alongside Parenteau, and two of those three are Tavares and Moulson. His 2010/2011 linemate breakdown is even more sparse, with around 75% of his minutes shared with Tavares/Moulson. To compare, Leino played around 80% of his minutes with Hartnell/Briere before signing with Buffalo. (numbers taken from behindthenet.ca)

I'm not saying that he isn't worth taking a chance on, but if he wants a significant raise on a multi-year deal, I would personally stay the hell away.

Ah thanks for the numbers, I go to behindthenet a lot but I never found those stats.

He got a lot of offensive zone starts like most offensive players but he wasn't sheltered and played against top opponent lines.

In any case, it really depends on what kind of contract he signs, if it's a Dennis Wideman contract then yeah ... stay away.

Hes a good complementary player but he cant be trusted on to carry a line for you, he has the hockey sense to feed off the high end talent like Tavares and knows where to be on the ice, thats basically it.

He's a playmaker. In terms of the Sens we need someone other than #19 to create scoring chances on his line, we don't anyone to carry it.

Cactus

Banned
Ah thanks for the numbers, I go to behindthenet a lot but I never found those stats.

He got a lot of offensive zone starts like most offensive players but he wasn't sheltered and played against top opponent lines.

In any case, it really depends on what kind of contract he signs, if it's a Dennis Wideman contract then yeah ... stay away.

Yeah, exactly. If the contract is fair, he'd be a low-risk, high-reward signing. If he gets Leino or Wideman money, though, my guess is that his new team will be very disappointed before long.

If you want TOI stats, mouse over the "Statistics" tab and click on "Player TOI." Most of the interesting stats are under "Player Breakdown," though.

Acid08

Banned
He's a playmaker. In terms of the Sens we need someone other than #19 to create scoring chances on his line, we don't anyone to carry it.

haha, we have the same problem!

That said, I'd love DW to take a shot at getting PA. If we go back to a Pavelski centered third scoring line, I think he could fit right in.

Fair points but every player chases the money. Plus Leino had one good year on a stacked team, he's had 2 on a not so stacked team.

I don't know anything about his time with the Rangers but it seems he didn't get much of a chance and for whatever reason it didn't work out. He seemed to light it up in Hartford though.

Do you blame him for not wanting to stay on the Island ? It's hard to see any sort of future there right now. He's got a chance to cash in and go to a better organization.

He could bust or he could do well, depends on where he goes I guess.

I think his lack of success on the rangers pretty much comes down to the fact that he's not a torts player. He was an AHL all star that's for sure. I don't blame him for wanting to leave long island and I don't begrudge anybody an opportunity to get paid. I just think when you look it, this guy has had 2 pretty good years. He knows he can play there. He can make a decent salary and a decent living. This guy should be happy he's even still in the NHL, it could have been over for him. I just think when you have a player like this, they tend to get big eyes around FA, and leave a place where they know they can be successful and go to somewhere on an inflated contract, not live up to it, and then finds himself riding buses in the AHL again because he's not living up to what he signed. Not saying its a definite, but it seems to happen every year at FA. The same thing is gonna happen when somebody signs Prust.

Not saying its a definite, but it seems to happen every year at FA. The same thing is gonna happen when somebody signs Prust.

Well that's the thing right ? A lot of players are successful because of the team, coach, linemates they are with. Teams trade or sign these players and they have a totally different environment and the player is a bust and just doesn't fit in there.

If a weaker team overpays him and expects him to single handedly turn them around, yeah he'll most likely flop.

Fei

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article922507.ece

I'm sure you read this article ? It has some insight why Leino and other new acquisitions struggle in Buffalo.

Yep, it's pretty accurate. Ruff is very rigid with his system, so instead of trying to adapt his system to his new personnel, he forces them into his system. Then when they don't immediately produce, their ice time is taken away. Ruff lives in a world where every forward is a two way forward.

I also think Ehrhoff shouldn't have been included in the article in their list of failures. He was tremendous the last half of the year, probably their best D. He may not have put up the points he did with Vancouver, but he was a beast.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah thats a shit way of maximizing your assets and getting a better return, we were 12-0-1 with him in the lineup last season. He was still only 24 and our only physical dman aside from Cowen.

Yeah thats a shit way of maximizing your assets and getting a better return, we were 12-0-1 with him in the lineup last season. He was still only 24 and our only physical dman aside from Cowen.

Philips is physical as well.

He was also scratched most of the year. If PMac thought he was any good he'd have used him more

I really doubt Brian Lee was the sole reason we went 12-0-1. He was here for years went through several coaches and none of them really liked him. He was never in the plans here, time to move on. Mind you I thought he was decent here as well, his only real fault is he never lived to his high draft ranking (because Muckler was dumb).

I doubt he was worth much on the market, we waived him a few times and no one took him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Quick someone post that gif in the NBA thread so we can watch them freak out at the sight of a mans chest!

10 year extension for Jonathan Quick ?

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.p..._quick/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LOS ANGELES – The 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms with goaltender Jonathan Quick on a 10-year contract extension, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the new deal cannot be signed until July 1.

Quick, in addition to being a Stanley Cup Champion, is also a Conn Smythe winner, Vezina Trophy Finalist, NHL All-Star and Kings MVP who will call Los Angeles home through the 2022-23 season.

Quick had a record-setting year in 2011-12 for the Kings and ranked amongst the NHL’s best in every major goaltending category. He was even better during the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs as he led the Kings to their first-ever Stanley Cup championship.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I know he just won the cup and con smythe...but christ that is a long contract for Quick...

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
dreger has quick at just over 5$/per? that's nuts.

though i guess 10 years is a lot to ask out of a goalie

Top Bottom