• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

CREMSteve

I can't imagine it'd go through unless Florida honors it.

He holds all the cards:

zV0zf1.gif

lolwtf

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
One year of Marty would be a great plan B if the Panthers acquire Luongo.

Leafs actually wanted just a short term veteran goalie to help reimer focus

Luongo would be replacing reimer/scrivens which isn't what Burke wants

Honestly, I'd love him on the leafs- just hope he'd fare better than cujos retiring contract :(

Though something tells me he will try for Montreal - just take a back seat instead of bring the work horse - but still return home

Probably felt pretty amazing to get that ovation in Montreal when he won

So question... for all the "X to the leafs" talk we always see, when is the last time they actually signed a guy in a competitive market for the player?

Probably back when they were competitive. (Cujo, Roberts) Or Gustavsson, and Bozak.

or Schultz. :|

There aren't many teams that need a starter though so I don't know how much competition there will be. I think Brodeur still wants to be a starter

Probably back when they were competitive. (Cujo, Roberts) Or Gustavsson, and Bozak.

or Schultz. :|

There aren't many teams that need a starter though so I don't know how much competition there will be. I think Brodeur still wants to be a starter

I agree with this 100% the guy has 1 maybe 2 years left, I dont see him spending those on the bench. Outside of the Devils I dont know who he could start for.

Cake Boss

Banned
Eric Lindros?

Actually Bozak, Gus count too... Teams were going all out for those 2

College free agent and a European free agent that never played in the NHL. Those arent hard to sign unless you don't have room for a starter role, you make a promise to those abd they sign.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've been thinking about the 10-year Quick contract and was wondering: How many goalies recently (other than Brodeur) have been consistently good for 5 years, let alone 10?

Heretic

Galchenyuk joins the war on NBA-GAF:

:lol :lol :lol
lol I like this kid.
I have a feeling you know something I don't know... Seriously? Teemu retirement?

OH COME ON

Reports from Finland a week or two ago reported that he was coming back but Teemu hasn't confirmed anything. I think i'm just expecting the worst after everything that happened during the draft weekend... I hope i'm wrong!

Cagey

Banned
Brodeur hasn't used an agent for his past two contracts. That's bad news. Plus I lurk ever closer to Parise--geddon. What a terrible sports week next week could be.

Fuck. NFL training camp can't come soon enough.

Merguson

Banned
I asked the Magic 8 Ball on whether the Leafs will sign Schultz or not. It responded "Very Doubtful"

Brodeur? My sources say no.

Parise? Signs point to yes

Suter? Cannot predict now

Luongo? Yes, definitely.

Parise and Luongo to the Leafs confirmed.

Stay tuned to the Magic Ball 8 for more information. Guaranteed to be more reliable than Eklund.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Probably because of the ownership situation. Which means Parise won't stay. Larry Robinson is also leaving.

Wonder if they'll be trading kovalchuk too

This is not good for NJ who are struggling to fill seats

The team will be going full speed into the ground and with their problems even paying off debt, paying rent

They're going under, I think

I don't want them to, as much as I hate them- they are one of the few teams we have had in the last 20 years comparable to a dynasty

Marvie_3

Banned
Wonder if they'll be trading kovalchuk too

This is not good for NJ who are struggling to fill seats

The team will be going full speed into the ground and with their problems even paying off debt, paying rent

They're going under, I think

I don't want them to, as much as I hate them- they are one of the few teams we have had in the last 20 years comparable to a dynasty
No they aren't. They'll go through bankruptcy to get their debts under control and the NHL will most likely throw in some cash and they'll be fine going forward.

Fei

NJ has struggled to sell tickets for as long as I can remember. That said, their TV market should more than make up for it.

Samus4145

I've been thinking about the 10-year Quick contract and was wondering: How many goalies recently (other than Brodeur) have been consistently good for 5 years, let alone 10?

DP has been consistently good on skipping seasons. And yes I am an Islanders fan

Barrage

Ward's still good, his team's just been shit. Miller's been quality the last 5 years.

So absolutely, not a lot of goalies...but not a lot of goalies have Conne Smythes in their early 20's like Quick does, either.

Marty in anything but a Devils jersey? Insanity.

In other news Panthers now have 14 milli to make the new cap floor. Between Versteeg and Kulikov that should be 5-6 milli. Huber makes 3.175 (ELC + bonuses) so there is some serious cash to put out for FA. We actually could make some good runs at high level FAs.

Needs are 2C, high talent forward, agitator

90% of those people are Rangers or Flyers fans.

Burying them on the lower MSG channel doesn't help either I would think. No one goes to MSG 2 to watch devils or islanders.

Is this because they moved to Newark ?

I don't remember hearing about massive lack of support when they played out of Meadowlands.

As far as I know it's about the same, maybe worse since they're not doing cup runs like they were (although this year they did) but the biggest thing is they are about the same which was fine before but after the money for the stadium and stuff like they haven't seen the increase they thought they would by moving and because of that they're struggling financially.

Top Bottom