• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A guy working for French sports TV has guaranteed that the Habs won't pick grigorenko and that it is between Galchenyuk and Forsberg. Hopefully we get Galchenuyuk some scouts have said he could have challenged Yakupov for #1 overall if he was healthy.

Tabris

Good article / opinion piece on Hodgson / Canucks situation:

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams...son+unhappy+problem+solved/6543940/story.html

Hodgson contributed only three goals, eight points and a minus-seven rating in 20 games after his trade, despite averaging 17:16 of ice time for a Sabres team that went 12-5-3 down the stretch. Including his final 13 games as a Canuck, Hodgson managed only five goals and 11 points in his final 33 games.

So, naturally, he would have outplayed Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards or Jarret Stoll head-to-head in the Canucks’ playoff series against the Los Angeles Kings.

Gillis was so concerned about Hodgson’s defensive liabilities he traded for veteran Samuel Pahlsson before he made the deal for Kassian. Pahlsson would have been the third-line centre the rest of the way even had the Sabres not taken Hodgson.

Tabris

Hodgson's numbers with the Sabres over 20 games don't really matter. He was effective as a Canuck. Kassian was not.

In his last 13 games as a Canuck, he had 3 points. He came up big in those couple of big games (like the Boston one) during the season because all the efforts from the other team were spent on the top 2 lines.

Hodgson was this year's Kesler, fan favorite. Had nothing to do with his performance as it wasn't consistent, it wasn't 2 way and was being outpaced by players like Higgins who had just as little ice time. He will be a solid 2nd line center on a mid-range team, but he wouldn't be able to crack the top 2 lines on a high performance team with good center players and who also need their players to be responsible in their own end. (i.e. VAN, PIT, NYR, BOS, DET, TBL, etc)

Kassian is a future piece, a prospect (not a Schneider "prospect" but an actual prospect). Re-evaluate in 1-2 years.

Socreges

Banned
In his last 13 games as a Canuck, he had 3 points. He came up big in those couple of big games (like the Boston one) during the season because all the efforts from the other team were spent on the top 2 lines.

Hodgson was this year's Kesler, fan favorite. Had nothing to do with his performance as it wasn't consistent, it wasn't 2 way and was being outpaced by players like Higgins who had just as little ice time. He will be a solid 2nd line center on a mid-range team, but he wouldn't be able to crack the top 2 lines on a high performance team with good center players and who also need their players to be responsible in their own end. (i.e. VAN, PIT, NYR, BOS, DET, TBL, etc)
SPIN SPIN SPIN

Tabris said:
Originally Posted by CCF23:
Cody Hodgson is going to be a good fucking player in this league.

Hell yeah. What's a shame though is he won't ever be able to be used to his full potential with Vancouver.
Hodgson for Calder.

He was a rookie, not to mention among the top rookie scorers despite his ice time. You knew this. Then he was traded.

Tabris said:
Kassian is a future piece, a prospect (not a Schneider "prospect" but an actual prospect). Re-evaluate in 1-2 years.
Irrelevant. Playoff teams don't make mid-season trades for an immediate loss and eventual gain.

Tabris

I would vote for every player to win any award on the Canucks, that has nothing to do with anything. I do think he's a good player though, same as Kassian will be. If you also looked at my other posts at that time, CCF23 was making crazy comments like Hodgson has the best shot on the team and I was trying to ground him back to reality.

Hodgson wouldn't have been a positive in the playoffs. He would have been a liability against Stoll, Kopitar or Richards.

Tabris

Circa January 2012:

Some Canuck fans are hilarious, always gotta have a favourite that is exempt from their cynicism (Kesler was that last year but now no longer this year)

Hodgson is a great player that's on a good streak, no doubt. I expect good things in the future. But come on now...

Originally Posted by CCF23:
Hodgson has the best shot

hodgson is a solid player that has upped his game but his shot and play doesn't compare to ke sler sedins burrows or soon booth yet it will take a couple years stop overreacting over a c ouple goals.

Well, surely having Hodgson on the team wouldn't have made them WORSE in the playoffs, would it? I can't imagine how that'd be possible.

Maybe they'd score a power play goal or two and wouldn't have Kassian sitting on the bench for 57 minutes.

Tabris

Well, surely having Hodgson on the team wouldn't have made them WORSE in the playoffs, would it? I can't imagine how that'd be possible.

Maybe they'd score a power play goal or two and wouldn't have Kassian sitting on the bench for 57 minutes.

You're making the wrong comparison. The accurate comparison is Pahlson to Hodgson. That was the actual trade for the Canucks, Kassian wasn't meant to replace Hodgson now.

Socreges

Banned
Because people had the nerve to compare him to Daniel Sedin.

Doesn't change the fact that your old posts totally contradict your most recent 'assessment'. It's all spin from you. At least with the Destiny stuff it's just some tired schtick. This stuff is outright biased delusion.

Tabris

Because people had the nerve to compare him to Daniel Sedin.

Doesn't change the fact that your old posts totally contradict your most recent 'assessment'. It's all spin from you. At least with the Destiny stuff it's just some tired schtick. This stuff is outright biased delusion.

They don't at all. I still think he's a good player, but he proved to be inconsistent and couldn't keep up that fire he had going for that 10-20 games.

You can probably find posts of me saying Luongo for Vezina this year btw, I would have every Canuck player win the end of year awards.

EDIT - Also you haven't refuted any of my facts. Common Socreges "I can't argue this" tactic, comment on poster instead of post.

Socreges

Banned
They don't at all. I still think he's a good player, but he proved to be inconsistent and couldn't keep up that fire he had going for that 10-20 games.

You can probably find posts of me saying Luongo for Vezina this year btw, I would have every Canuck player win the end of year awards.

EDIT - Also you haven't refuted any of my facts. Common Socreges "I can't argue this" tactic, comment on poster instead of post.
Why bother typing out the details when I can just put your posts next to each other and let them do the damage themselves? If you're so dense that the dramatic change in tone/praise/focus/expectations isn't evident, then you can't be helped either way.

Now, I'll leave you to your spinning.

Tabris

Once again, you are comparing posts from when he was hot to when he became inconsistent. And you only showed one post where I agreed with CCF23 that he was really good at the time, and the other where I acclaimed he should win the Calder (once again when hot).

Find me a poster on NHL GAF that hasn't made exaggerated comments when a player was hot. My posts were also most likely the most tempered of all Canucks GAF.

Finally we are talking about now, not back then, which you can't refute my comments about the last 33 games with both Canucks and Sabres.

Socreges

Banned
Once again, you are comparing posts from when he was hot to when he became inconsistent. And you only showed one post where I agreed with CCF23 that he was really good and I still agree with that, and the other where I acclaimed he should win the Calder (once again when hot).

Find me a poster on NHL GAF that hasn't made exaggerated comments when a player was hot.
I'm comparing Canucks-era posts (including the January ones where you call him a "great player" from whom you expect "good things in the future") to your Sabres-era post which was you downplaying his success (he was just a 3rd liner exploiting a tired opponent) and saying he will never crack the top six of a "high performance team with good center players".

Tabris, you're wrong about everything. NEXT.

evabp.jpg

So this guy is the new Habs GM and it got buried within a sea of Canucks hopefuly "would be"isms (and good Socreges posts, burn).

DUDE SPEAKS FRENCH.

Bergevin, 46, spent several seasons in the Chicago front office, including work as a scout and a stint as director of player personnel. He was an assistant coach under Joel Quenneville with the Blackhawks and played 1,191 games as an NHL defenseman from 1984-2004.

One by one, the other candidates for Pierre Gauthier's old job began being eliminated this week. Francois Giguere, former Colorado Avalanche GM, was told he wasn't in the running. Toronto Maple Leafs assistant GM Claude Loiselle was also out.

In the last few days, the focus has narrowed to Bergevin and NBC Sports analyst Pierre McGuire, as Michael Farber of Sports Illustrated reported they were "the only men given lengthy follow-up interviews after initial phone conversations."

Shame, I was looking forward to seeing Pierre Mcguire as the Habs GM.

A bit about Bergevin from the Globe & Mail:

Bergevin, a 45-year-old who was an NHL defenceman for 20 years, is known for his vast network of contacts and McGuire-esque encyclopedic knowledge of players, but he's only been an assistant GM for just over a year (he was a scout for their Cup-winning team), and as a legendary prankster and cut-up doesn't fit the gray-suit-and-milky-tea idiom of the seventh floor at the Bell Centre.

Oh.. so he would've been as knowledgeable about hockey as Mcguire anyway. Without less creep factor.

And only now do I figure out who he looks like...

xOllV.jpg

Solo

HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ! HABS BUYING OUT GOMEZ!

UNF UNF UNF UNF

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I feel weird/dirty saying this, but somehow I'm actually sort of happy for Habs fans RE: Gomez. Guy sucks.

Solo

Yeah but they could at least replace him with a potentially productive player.

Bingo. We can sign a $2.5M player who will put up a lot more than 11 POINTS.

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Something weird going on in MTL. Habs' website, for a time this a.m., announced team was buying out Scott Gomez's contract. Not there now.

Exile550

I like the move of hiring Bergevin (same last name as me!). He seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.

And thank god we're buying out Gomez!!!!

Solo

Yeah, the cap goes up every year too, despite the fear mongering every year that it won't.

Addition by subtraction in this case.

Solo

A guy from the French press confirmed they aren't picking Grigroenko anyways.

That's hardly "confirmation". Do you really think Timmins is going around and telling the press who he would like to draft? Not to mention that Bergevin will now be able to give his opinions to Timmins.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Good day today!! Curious to see if Gomez will really be bought out. If there is a lockout that cap won't matter :p

Solo

Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger
Tough task for Bergevin. First task...fire coach. He won't let Cunneyworth and others twist in wind. Changes will be made swiftly

Au revoir, Randy.

Hope we finally bring a HC with some fucking life and passion to him.

I don't think we'll ever hear the end of the Hodgson/Kassian trade as long as both players are still in the league. You can't really compare Hodgson's stats when he's on a new team against new opponents.

I don't think Hodgson would've helped against LA, and I also think that Gillis pulled the trigger on the deal at the deadline rather than in the offseason because the opportunity may not have manifested in the future.

Top Bottom