• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

MacAttack

The only Staal you'd get for Thomas + 2nd is Jared.
Agreed. I would drive Thomas to the airport myself if Jordan Staal was offered for that package.

Staal would still be in a logjam of centers behind Bergeron and Krejci if he came to Boston.

Alucard

Banned
Ray Shero interview done a few days after the Pens' first round exit.

http://www.1059thex.com/player/?sta...odcast&program_id=MarkMadden.xml&mid=22035575

He sounds frustrated and disappointed at many points of the exchange, especially when asked about Fleury's performance in the playoffs, and when asked about the defensive play. He makes lots of good points about this being a confusing offseason since...

-This was the top scoring team in the league
-This was a team that finished fourth overall in points
-This was a team with a top 5 PP
-This was a team with a top 5 PK
-This was a team that allowed the fourth fewest shots per game
-This was a team that never lost in regulation when leading after two periods

Brutal. Scary times in Pens land, folks.

MacAttack

Are people suggesting trading Tim Thomas for Jordan Staal? I'm...kind of intrigued.
Thinking about more, I don't think it makes sense for Boston. It doesn't really fill a need since we have plenty of depth at center.

It's a good return for Thomas' expiring contract but it's just not a good fit.

Alucard

Banned
Thinking about more, I don't think it makes sense for Boston. It doesn't really fill a need since we have plenty of depth at center.

It's a good return for Thomas' expiring contract but it's just not a good fit.

Doesn't really make sense for the Pens either, unless they moved Fleury.

Ray Shero interview done a few days after the Pens' first round exit.

http://www.1059thex.com/player/?sta...odcast&program_id=MarkMadden.xml&mid=22035575

He sounds frustrated and disappointed at many points of the exchange, especially when asked about Fleury's performance in the playoffs, and when asked about the defensive play. He makes lots of good points about this being a confusing offseason since...

-This was the top scoring team in the league
-This was a team that finished fourth overall in points
-This was a team with a top 5 PP
-This was a team with a top 5 PK
-This was a team that allowed the fourth fewest shots per game
-This was a team that never lost in regulation when leading after two periods

Brutal. Scary times in Pens land, folks.

Flyers ended the Pens 11 game winning streak by coming back in the 3rd period and winning in overtime.

Cactus

Banned
Elliotte Friedman (paraphrased): Staal has not asked for a trade, but he has made it known that he wants more responsibility with the team, implying that he wouldn't be against moving on to another organization. If he is made available this summer, there will be a long list of teams who would be interested.

Keith and Burrows both playing for Team Canada?

BodbC.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
LOL Cherry and Ontario players. This time he makes an entire montage of the overtime winners scored by Ontario players. WOW he really hates Burke.

Cactus

Banned
LOL Cherry and Ontario players. This time he makes an entire montage of the overtime winners scored by Ontario players. WOW he really hates Burke.

He was trying to get Wilson fired for years so it's only natural he would turn his attention to Brian Burke once that happened.

MacAttack

Went to hfboards to get a hockeytalk fix and now I want to blow my brains out. Can't wait for the offseason to really begin so we can have real news start coming out.

Is there hockey still being played?

Sanjuro

Are people suggesting trading Tim Thomas for Jordan Staal? I'm...kind of intrigued.

There are going to be a ton of rumors this offseason. The simple answer is, you don't trade Tim Thomas. I would trade Rask 10/10 in almost any sort of trade scenario.

Meh, as creepy as he is as a commentator the guy has an unbelievable knowledge of the game and passion for it as well, especially the Montreal market. If he's behind the scenes pulling the strings where we don't have to listen to his homoerotic commentary of minor league players I wouldn't mind all that much.

Next year's roster as I see it now :

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Leblanc - Eller - Moen
Geoffrion - White - Staubitz

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Weber - Kaberle
Diaz

Price
Budaj

That is a healthy lineup that is worst case scenario basically without any additions from the UFA group seeing as the only ones we could benefit from are Parise and Sutter and the chances of either of them coming to Montreal are about 3%. I don't think our 3rd pick will be in the lineup either unless its Grigorenko. I'm actually comfortable with that lineup with Gionta back, and if Bourque can get his game back we should be fine, especially with a stable coach and management. We also have Gallagher to consider, as well as Palushaj who was making some good strides towards the end of the season.
If this is what our starting lineup looks like, I'm not watching Habs hockey 'till September 2013.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It sucks that the Panthers had to go out after losing in double overtime in game 7, but I'm going to get over it soon enough.

We're going to rest, reload and defend that division title next year.

There are going to be a ton of rumors this offseason. The simple answer is, you don't trade Tim Thomas. I would trade Rask 10/10 in almost any sort of trade scenario.
Seriously? Are you that high on your 3rd tier goaltender right now? Because odds are, two years down the line barring a trade, he's going to be your starter. Seems like the obvious and sane answer would be to trade trade trade Tim Thomas while he's still worth something.

Sanjuro

Seriously? Are you that high on your 3rd tier goaltender right now? Because odds are, two years down the line barring a trade, he's going to be your starter. Seems like the obvious and sane answer would be to trade trade trade Tim Thomas while he's still worth something.

I'm that low on our 2nd goaltender. This is the same kid who choked a three game lead only a few years ago.

Sane answer would be to trade the only successful goaltender in our franchise, who is still playing at a high level? Right...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm that low on our 2nd goaltender. This is the same kid who choked a three game lead only a few years ago.

Sane answer would be to trade the only successful goaltender in our franchise, who is still playing at a high level? Right...

Leafs sign raycroft then trade him to Boston for rask

We must undo that trade :-(

Sanjuro

I mean, I don't hate Rask. I just don't see him anything more than a second goaltender for this franchise. Personally I don't use the equation, Age = Skill. Just because a guy is in his twenties doesn't mean he will ever reach the same skill level as someone older. That's silly.

I liked Raycroft before he got hurt. :'(

Acid08

Banned
Braun playing for Team USA, awesome! Kid is already great, hope the offseason does a lot of good for him.

Pickles is playing for Team Canada too.

Socreges

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWgSSAzl1hA

Jesus, now I can see why Gillis was so quick to say Jensen is very close.
I was unimpressed until I remembered that those highlights would only be from his handful of games with the Wolves.

The goals are mostly garbage, but I like his skating and (apparent) work ethic. Hopefully that translates. Canucks need fresh blood.

[edit] He's 210+ lbs?? I've seen him listed at 185 before. Hopefully he bulked up and that's not an error.

I was unimpressed until I remembered that those highlights would only be from his handful of games with the Wolves.

The goals are mostly garbage, but I like his skating and (apparent) work ethic. Hopefully that translates. Canucks need fresh blood.
Canucks definitely needed more of that this season. We don't really have that guy who digs around for garbage goals, and we could've used someone like him against Quick.

He also looks like he's got some very strong puck and stick handling skills. And yeah, I agree, the fresh blood element is great too. I really hope him and Schroeder make the roster next season, it might potentially give us back that 2nd PP unit.

Socreges

Banned
Canucks definitely needed more of that this season. We don't really have that guy who digs around for garbage goals, and we could've used someone like him against Quick.

He also looks like he's got some very strong puck and stick handling skills. And yeah, I agree, the fresh blood element is great too. I really hope him and Schroeder make the roster next season, it might potentially give us back that 2nd PP unit.
'Capable of scoring garbage goals' is not a reliable asset, imo. Depends on bad rebound control, soft defense, and some luck.

But yeah, I like how he carries the puck. Seems to use his size fairly well and good hands, to boot.

Maybe this has been posted a hundred times but Kuznetsov are signing a two year extension with Traktor and willl therefor not join the Caps for a while. He Is also talking about how much he wants to play in the Olympics. God damn the NHL must make it clear that they get to play!

The league would force a Euro-Schism if they tried to stop player involvement with the Olympics. And rightfully so! The Olympics are to hockey what the World Cup is to Fitba.

There is basically no room for any young players to crack the roster.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-X-X
Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

If Weise and Raymond are re-signed (the latter at a discount) that leaves only the third-line centre position open. Put Schroeder there and you're looking at Hodgson 2.0.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-X-X

If Weise and Raymond are re-signed (the latter at a discount) that leaves only the third-line centre position open. Put Schroeder there and you're looking at Hodgson 2.0.
I would say Schroeder would be a much better position at 3rd line center than Hodgson. Schroeder plays a much more defensively sound game and I don't think having him deployed in defensive situations would give AV nearly as many fits as Hodgson did. Plus, I feel Higgins and Hansen really miss being centered by an offensive minded centreman. They both have above average offensive skills and are capable of putting in 20 goals a season, having Schroeder on their line might help with that, not to mention he's got the wheels to keep up with them speed wise.

I've always said it, Schroeder is like a Raymond 2.0. He's got offensive talents, lots of speed and defensively responsible. I just honestly don't see a place for Raymond on this team if Schroeder's ready to make the jump.

As for Jensen, I feel he has an outside chance of making the second line, he's shown the raw talent to do so and if his play with the Wolves was any indication, he could be very close. Depends on whether or not the Canucks would rather take a chance with him or go out and splurge on a very expensive top six forward.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Guess I'll post it in here.

HBO's 24/7 is a go for next season for the Wings vs Leafs.

Awkward Kessel is a go.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Heads up, somewhat confirmed that we will be getting a 24/7 with Leafs/Wings this winter!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/hbo-24-7-returning-season-3-red-wings-180321428.html

After two seasons that changed the way fans see the National Hockey League and its players, NHL COO John Collins confirmed that there will be a Season 3 for "HBO 24/7: Road To The NHL Winter Classic" featuring the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"We're bringing it back," Collins told Puck Daddy exclusively on Tuesday, although he said a formal announcement is forthcoming.

More at the link

Socreges

Banned
Awkward Kessel! Awesome.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-X-X

Gillis will aim to fill all roster spots without having to consider guys like Jensen, Schroeder, etc. Depending on how they do in the preseason and camp, though, he could have them start the season with the Canucks and then (likely) go down to the Wolves. If they're good enough to stick around, then you just have to find something to do with the extra roster players. Kassian does not have a permanent position with the Canucks, for example.

Quick

Banned
Guess I'll post it in here.

HBO's 24/7 is a go for next season for the Wings vs Leafs.

Awkward Kessel is a go.

MY AWKWARD IS READY.

6OHX5.jpg

01s0s.jpg

qmawX.jpg

LL04U.jpg

Heads up, somewhat confirmed that we will be getting a 24/7 with Leafs/Wings this winter!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/hbo-24-7-returning-season-3-red-wings-180321428.html

More at the link

[c&p'd response from the playoff thread]

YES. YES.

I was worried when I read about the NHL having more of a presence over the production, but reading that there won't be any changes or limitations puts things at ease. Just the matter of getting the NHL production staff more involved and all.

And a Canadian network? TSN? Sportsnet? CBC? I'd imagine it as a rerun of the week's episode censored and/or cut down since there's already HBO Canada that would air it.

Top Bottom