• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So Marvie told me today was the last day the Coyotes existed. Are the moving vans being loaded?

Burying them on the lower MSG channel doesn't help either I would think. No one goes to MSG 2 to watch devils or islanders.

I don't think MSG is going to apologize for putting their own teams ahead of the devils. Besides, even the Rangers are second class citizens on MSG, they get bumped for the Knicks all the time.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Devils have always had to contend with the fact that most of the people in their state are either rangers or flyers fans.

Now they know how Ottawa and buffalo feels :p

But there isn't really any excuse- this is a team that won multiple cups

They have had a legendary goaltender, a couple hall of fame defensemen and a couple potential hall of fame forwards

They should be selling out

They are basically surrounded by hockey hotbed in Philly, Toronto, Montreal, Boston and New York and they can't sell out in the playoffs?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Marty in anything but a Devils jersey? Insanity.

In other news Panthers now have 14 milli to make the new cap floor. Between Versteeg and Kulikov that should be 5-6 milli. Huber makes 3.175 (ELC + bonuses) so there is some serious cash to put out for FA. We actually could make some good runs at high level FAs.

Needs are 2C, high talent forward, agitator
You can overpay for Abdelkader!

Fei

What about that jerk off who always calls Leaf Talk Mike from Buffalo?

I think that guy works for Eklund, too. :lol

Sabres have never had a hard time selling tickets because of Toronto, though. Only time they really ran into some trouble is when the owner was arrested and put away for life, heh.

DopeyFish

Eh, it's pretty hard to find a Toronto fan in New York. The proximity is really different. The Rangers and Devils (and Islanders) are basically on top of each other.

They are hidden in plain sight

And they hang at sabres games because who wants to pay $50 for standing room?

I don't think MSG is going to apologize for putting their own teams ahead of the devils. Besides, even the Rangers are second class citizens on MSG, they get bumped for the Knicks all the time.

I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying it obviously doesn't grow the fanbase as much. Of course cablevision is going to put rangers first, they would be moronic not to. I still wish hockey was more on normal channels than having to have cable/satellite. :/

Now they know how Ottawa and buffalo feels :p

But there isn't really any excuse- this is a team that won multiple cups

They have had a legendary goaltender, a couple hall of fame defensemen and a couple potential hall of fame forwards

They should be selling out

They are basically surrounded by hockey hotbed in Philly, Toronto, Montreal, Boston and New York and they can't sell out in the playoffs?

All those hockey hotbeds already have teams to root for. The idea that Rangers fans living in NJ would jump ship to a new team was insane. Nothing is going to make the Rangers/Flyers fans in NJ switch over to being Devils fans. There just are not enough fans in that area for the Devils to have a big fanbase. I really do think at some point that team will be out of there. It might take a while but there have to be open markets that would support a 3 times cup winning team better.

DopeyFish

We don't really have trouble selling tickets, it's only bad when we play the Habs and Leafs.

I wasn't really suggesting difficulty

It's just before the sabres and senators came along, those areas (and referencing a lot of fans north of the border in niagara region for buffalo) were/still are heavily entrenched in leafs fans

so the area in which they are drawing fans from are traditionally regions from other teams

I wasn't really suggesting difficulty

so the area in which they are drawing fans from are traditionally regions from other teams

Oh my bad then.

Ottawa is pretty much split 3 ways into Sens, Habs and Leaf fans. I doubt that will change much in the future but we've got more than enough support here (and it's growing) so I can't see us ever having problems like NJ.

A few days ago they were talking about restricting ticket sales from out of town (mostly Toronto I imagine) as it gets really bad when Leaf fans invade our arena.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah I don't understand the NJ fan base, a franchise with a couple of Stanley cups, hall of fame players and arguably the best goalie to play in the NHL. Plus 5 30 goal scorers in their lineup. They should sell out 70% of their games.

Marvie_3

Banned
I really do think at some point that team will be out of there.
iifnjqgU5Ggwi.gif

ElNino

Oh my bad then.

Ottawa is pretty much split 3 ways into Sens, Habs and Leaf fans. I doubt that will change much in the future but we've got more than enough support here (and it's growing) so I can't see us ever having problems like NJ.

A few days ago they were talking about restricting ticket sales from out of town (mostly Toronto I imagine) as it gets really bad when Leaf fans invade our arena.
They better not, I love going to Ottawa to see the Leafs play. LOL

The last game I went to was on St. Patty's day, and there had to more Leafs jerseys than Sens... and we were significantly louder as well. I was surprised I didn't see any fights, but that was for the best considering I was taking my son and nephews.

Yeah I don't understand the NJ fan base, a franchise with a couple of Stanley cups, hall of fame players and arguably the best goalie to play in the NHL. Plus 5 30 goal scorers in their lineup. They should sell out 70% of their games.

The problem, like we've been saying, is that there isn't much of a fanbase to begin with. NJ has a choice of up to 3 hockey teams to root for depending on what part of the state you live in. Devils get lost in the shuffle.

They better not, I love going to Ottawa to see the Leafs play. LOL

The last game I went to was on St. Patty's day, and there had to more Leafs jerseys than Sens... and we were significantly louder as well. I was surprised I didn't see any fights, but that was for the best considering I was taking my son and nephews.

Yeah things tend to get ugly I hear, a lot of of season ticket holders just sell their tickets because they don't want to bring their kids into that.

I imagine a lot of Leaf fans in TO who don't want to give up a kidney to see games at the ACC drive up here instead.

I really like how yankeehater keeps harping on them leaving like he is even close to giving an unbiased analysis of the franchise. :lol

The problem, like we've been saying, is that there isn't much of a fanbase to begin with. NJ has a choice of up to 3 hockey teams to root for depending on what part of the state you live in. Devils get lost in the shuffle.

Ya, I think when they're doing well they'll do alright though but it seems like it would hurt them hard if they ever start to suck hard. I think moving to Newark was a huge plus, especially so close to the main station in Newark, it's literally one street down and you can see if from the station. Curious how it works in the long run, but that definitely made me go to their stadium more than before, so much more convenient.

Ya, I think when they're doing well they'll do alright though but it seems like it would hurt them hard if they ever start to suck hard. I think moving to Newark was a huge plus, especially so close to the main station in Newark, it's literally one street down and you can see if from the station. Curious how it works in the long run, but that definitely made me go to their stadium more than before, so much more convenient.

I went to the rock once. I'm never going back. That place was like the Mos Eisley Cantina. 90% of the people there look like mutants who just crawled out ofthe Hudson. Ugliest fanbase on the planet.

I went to the rock once. I'm never going back. That place was like the Mos Eisley Cantina. 90% of the people there look like mutants who just crawled out ofthe Hudson. Ugliest fanbase on the planet.

:lol What section did you sit in? I've never had a problem in the lower sections but the upper sections fucking suck. But I think the upper sections are usually shitholes no matter where you go though.

ZeroGravity

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Source tell me that Martin Brodeur could play in Tampa or Sunrise next season.
Ahaha, what?!

And apparently Bob McKenzie thinks Tampa is in the mix for Justin Schultz too.

Everyday McKenzie comes out with a new team that may be in on Schultz. Leads me to believe nobody really knows what the fuck is going on over at Newport.

You are the one always going on about the cap, they are dumping the more expensive guy for the much cheaper guy. I thought that you would love this move.

If it was JUST a cap dump I would get it, but this is more than that. First, Lu's hit is reasonable for a consistent Vezina hopeful. Second, you're dumping him for a less sure bet. I talk about the cap in terms of VALUE and FUTURE COST. Lu's hit is set at a fair value for his play until he retires and when he does it won't be a problem because he signed the contract before 35.

Not really excited about the idea of dealing Luongo. He's had some bad playoff games but also a lot of good ones and a lot of regular season success too. (Quick went on a super hot streak. Oh well. This crap happens. The real key to winning is sustained success, ie: the Wings who for years were playoff chokers)

Schneider gives us more cap room but he'd also have been worth more in a deal, I'd think. Hopefully he is as good as he seems to be - luckily his demeanor is awesome - because I really don't want to be reading the same old crap about this only with Schneider and Lack next year.

(Who am I kidding? BC papers will probably just run round the clock unsubstantiated trade rumors on every player anyway)

What's the point, you have Markstrom. Big mistake coming up.
If Tallon and Santos want Markstrom to do a full AHL year to test his knees, having a proven guy to shoulder the starter role as Theo's health is a concern makes sense. Lou contract though is a large hindrance as Marky is ready to start in 2 years time tops.

I have no idea what this trade could look like.

Schneider's sensible contract makes him very moveable if (a) he stinks and/or (b) Lack turns out to be the Second Coming. It leaves Gillis with far fewer risks than if he'd decided to keep Luongo.

Top Bottom