• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Nothing wrong with hating a franchise. If it were up to me, the queens would be moved to new mexico or something!

Albuquerque Isotopes!!!

Edit: Dear god that's an actual team they named after the team on the simpsons.... WOW....

Edit 2: Also, his blind hatred puts yours to shame... :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Albuquerque Isotopes!!!

Edit: Dear god that's an actual team they named after the team on the simpsons.... WOW....

Edit 2: Also, his blind hatred puts yours to shame... :(

Heretic's/Dastardly's hate for whatever team lands Schultz will elevate this to new levels. Just imagine the scenario of the Queens getting him....

Acid08

Banned
406013_10150950731672669_1980125955_n.jpg

New cover photo on the Sharks FB page....seems like these guys should be doing something more important.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"Preds could like to re-sign Paul Gaustad, but he's going to test the market first."

Didn't the Preds give up a 1st rounder for him? :lol :lol

A Campoli-Kaberle line is nightmare fuel.
Let's never speaking of that pairing again.

Nothing wrong with hating a franchise. If it were up to me, the queens would be moved to new mexico or something!
Hey, it's the Defending Stanley Cup Champions Queens now. :p

You two _ucks fans are some of the most hate-filled posters I've ever come across, lol. Is there a genesis story worth telling? I'd have to imagine it's pretty damn good.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Cox is an idiot, Schneider can't officially sign until July 1st, just like all RFAs and UFAs.

Er... He's a Canucks RFA signing with... The Canucks

He can sign any time he wants

(Unless I have been wrong for like forever on my understanding of contract extensions? Does removal of bonuses force RFA to kick in first? Why does my brains hurt)

Quick

Banned
RFAs can sign before July 1st with the team owning their rights, I'm pretty sure. The replies to Cox's tweets are making me doubt myself now.

But you're right about Cox. He's an idiot.

Schneider's sensible contract makes him very moveable if (a) he stinks and/or (b) Lack turns out to be the Second Coming. It leaves Gillis with far fewer risks than if he'd decided to keep Luongo.

Can't really agree with "fewer risks". Different risks, maybe.

Luongo risks:
- Less salary flexibility due to cap hit
- What if he sucks when older? (Until 2012 this was going to be called the Brodeur argument...)
- If Lack is Markstrom 2.0 then we go through the same crap again soon

Schneider risks:
- No long term contract
- No idea if he can actually contend for the Vezina
- No idea if he can actually win playoff rounds

In the end I just want whomever gives us the best chance of winning now. I don't put as much stock in "Luongo at 42" because by then we've lost the Sedins and probably a bunch else too. The "easier to deal" part also seems relatively pointless; Lack is a safety valve and even if he works out we won't know for awhile. If Luongo gets dealt, it's because Gillis and Vigneault believe that Schneider will win us the key games that Luongo won't.

Can't really agree with "fewer risks". Different risks, maybe.

Luongo risks:
- Less salary flexibility due to cap hit
- What if he sucks when older? (Until 2012 this was going to be called the Brodeur argument...)
- If Lack is Markstrom 2.0 then we go through the same crap again soon

Schneider risks:
- No long term contract
- No idea if he can actually contend for the Vezina
- No idea if he can actually win playoff rounds

In the end I just want whomever gives us the best chance of winning now. I don't put as much stock in "Luongo at 42" because by then we've lost the Sedins and probably a bunch else too. The "easier to deal" part also seems relatively pointless; Lack is a safety valve and even if he works out we won't know for awhile. If Luongo gets dealt, it's because Gillis and Vigneault believe that Schneider will win us the key games that Luongo won't.

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this, but it's the last statement that makes me laugh. Lu is a top 5 goalie in the league consistently. Assuming anyone else can do that without years of work to base that on is ridiculous in my mind.

Marvie_3

Banned
Okay, good. I'm not going insane. What's this shit I'm reading about "tagging rules" and not being official until July 1st?

Tagging rules means you can't sign a player to a contract that will put your team's salaries for the following season higher than the current cap number.

For example:

Say the cap for the current season is at $60M. Chicago wants to sign a few players to extensions that will put their salary total for the following season up to $65M. They can't proceed with these contracts because their salary total for next season is higher than the current season's cap of $60M. They would have to wait until July 1st to finalize those deals.

Say the cap for the current season is at $60M. Chicago wants to sign a few players to extensions that will put their salary total for the following season up to $65M. They can't proceed with these contracts because their salary total for next season is higher than the current season's cap of $60M. They would have to wait until July 1st to finalize those deals.

I believe that's because the new cap (for next season) which is currently set at 70M does not kick in until July 1st.

Although I believe you are allowed to exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason, every team must be under the cap when training camp opens.

I wonder what will happen this summer because it's really unlikely the new cap will be $70M under the new CBA, I can't see any team spending that much.

No confirmation of Luongo to Florida, Gillis was pretty vague on that. He said they're taking their time with it and there might be hints that Brodeour going FA might've thrown a wrench into things.

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this, but it's the last statement that makes me laugh. Lu is a top 5 goalie in the league consistently. Assuming anyone else can do that without years of work to base that on is ridiculous in my mind.

Yeah.

There is evidence Schneider can be the guy. Even compared to Luongo the guy is ridiculously cool under pressure, and he has won us some games over the last two seasons that Luongo just couldn't hang on to. Certainly in the Kings series he put some bloody calm and gave us a slight chance. But the great thing about having two goalies - even if you have to pay 'em both - is that you can be sure of which one is the path forward.

If Gillis makes a deal I hope he gets some significant pieces because if this another Hodgson-style future planning move then the cap is about the only benefit the current team will see.

Heretic

Heretic's/Dastardly's hate for whatever team lands Schultz will elevate this to new levels. Just imagine the scenario of the Queens getting him....
I had a dream about this... Not even lying.

How can you let the queens win the cup before you guys!? We could have joined Stanley Cup forces and chase them from Cali!

Hey, it's the Defending Stanley Cup Champions Queens now. :p
You two _ucks fans are some of the most hate-filled posters I've ever come across, lol. Is there a genesis story worth telling? I'd have to imagine it's pretty damn good.
Touche...
It's a mixture of most L.A. fans sucking balls, being bandwagoners, prone to rioting, nearby rivals, doughty being a little bitch, stoll skating like a retard, and plain old cross town rivaly. I could on but I have a self imposed character limit when talking to queens fans ;)
You'd be hate filled too if your GM was slowly selling your team off to the Leafs for garbage.
Truth hurts... fuck.

Marvie_3

Banned
I wonder what will happen this summer because it's really unlikely the new cap will be $70M under the new CBA, I can't see any team spending that much.
Teams will spend that much because if the cap drops after the CBA is finalized, salaries will get rolled back by the same percentage.

Teams will spend that much because if the cap drops after the CBA is finalized, salaries will get rolled back by the same percentage.

Is there any guarantee of rollbacks ? or amnesty buyouts ?

The PA would have to agree to that and I can't see them agreeing to another rollback.

I think most teams will stay around $60-65M

Quick

Banned
I enjoy the Ducks fans' trash talking against Kings fans. It's pretty one-sided with Dastardly and Heretic pretty much against Clydefrog and a few bandwagoners.

Ducks fly together!

Cake Boss

Banned
Brodeur is perfect for Florida other than Luongo. You will have a similar situation that Vancouver has right now with Schneider and Luo except with Markstrom and Luo in 2-3 years, Brodeur will likely only play 2 years at Max while Markstrom develops and gets groomed by a legend.Plus he won't cost you any assets to trade.

Marvie_3

Banned
Is there any guarantee of rollbacks ? or amnesty buyouts ?

The PA would have to agree to that and I can't see them agreeing to another rollback.

I think most teams will stay around $60-65M

There's no guarantee of either but I think there's a better chance of a rollback than there is of amnesty buyouts.

Not every team will go to the full $70M but there will be some that do.

I'd hope they would roll back the cap floor and leave the ceiling free to increase.
I don't think the NHLPA is going to like that.

Clydefrog

Uncle dstrdl and his nephew heretiwy don't bother me that much. I think the only two words they're capable of saying are "Quack" and "Queens" because all I ever hear is "quack quack queens quack quack quack quack queens!!" Besides, I think I'm on their good side but they just won't admit it.

There's no guarantee of either but I think there's a better chance of a rollback than there is of amnesty buyouts.

Not every team will go to the full $70M but there will be some that do.

I don't think the NHLPA is going to like that.

Yeah I can't see teams going all the way to $70M and hope that they'll be OK in the new CBA. That's risky.

I'd hope they would roll back the cap floor and leave the ceiling free to increase.

They might tweak it a bit but it's much more likely they'll increase revenue sharing.

It's largely the big franchises driving NHL revenue forward while smaller teams are seeing their minimum salary budgets go up every year. That's not sustainable.

Brodeur is perfect for Florida other than Luongo. You will have a similar situation that Vancouver has right now with Schneider and Luo except with Markstrom and Luo in 2-3 years, Brodeur will likely only play 2 years at Max while Markstrom develops and gets groomed by a legend.Plus he won't cost you any assets to trade.

I like this. Otherwise it is a master bluff by Tallon in the trade talks. Next year we could roll with "Over 75 years of goaltending".

MLB's revenue sharing system is completely fucking broken. Owners will never go for it.

Never said it's a good idea but I expect Fehr to try and carry over some ideas from MLB, I imagine they'll be used as a starting point and modified.

The current NHL system is kind of broken as well, something has to give.

Top Bottom