• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
Never said it's a good idea but I expect Fehr to try and carry over some ideas from MLB, I imagine they'll be used as a starting point and modified.

The current NHL system is kind of broken as well, something has to give.
Bringing anything over from the MLB revenue sharing system would be stupid.

The NHL system isnt perfect but its much better than MLB. At least the NHL has a cap floor that forces teams to use that money on players instead of simply pocketing it like they do in MLB.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
MLB's revenue sharing system is completely fucking broken. Owners will never go for it.

You never know, man.

Small teams having difficulty hitting the cap floor, big teams have money they want to spend... It's the owners that decide this shit, not the GMs - profit tends to matter more than success to those fools

Leafs for example... Merchandise isn't anywhere near as big as it used to be

The leafs were making mega teams right before the cap absolutely massacred the organization

Just remember: leafs payroll for 2003-2004 was HIGHER than the current summer cap

I will be pissed if they remove the cap, simply because we are actually making proper fucking teams now instead of attracting a huge amount of stars to our organization in the hopes of success

Increase the amount paid in by certain teams, lower the minimum standards for receiving it, and increase the amount paid out to receiving teams.

Which would mean that the cap floor would have to stay pretty high in order for this extra revenue to reach the players?

Bringing anything over from the MLB revenue sharing system would be stupid.

The NHL system isnt perfect but its much better than MLB. At least the NHL has a cap floor that forces teams to use that money on players instead of simply pocketing it like they do in MLB.

Yeah that's true but qualifying for it is wonky. You must be not one of the top 15 revenue-generating teams, not in a market of 2.5 million homes, average attendance of 14,000 and must have a year-to-year growth rate ahead of the league average.

The cap floor is rising faster than smaller market team revenues and it's putting more and more teams in trouble. Either reduce/slow the growth of the floor or up revenue sharing to compensate.

Something has to be done.

I will be pissed if they remove the cap, simply because we are actually making proper fucking teams now instead of attracting a huge amount of stars to our organization in the hopes of success

Teams were just trying to buy a Stanley Cup. That's wrong in principle. It doesn't always work but it sucks seeing all top players gravitate to the big teams.

Ultimately sports are more exciting when there is a level playing field (as much as possible anyway). Salary cap levels the playing field(for the most part). May the best run/managed team win, not the one that necessarily spends the most.

Marvie_3

Banned
Removing the cap would be the worst thing the NHL could do. Teams have to play by the same rules on the ice and they should have to play by the same rules off it.

Which would mean that the cap floor would have to stay pretty high in order for this extra revenue to reach the players?
The amounts would need to be fine tuned obviously. If you lower the cap floor too much while increasing revenue sharing then you're handing free money to small market owners that they don't have to put back into their team at all.

I don't see how owners would support even more profit sharing when only 12 franchises actually made a profit last season.

How much usually leaves a profitable team like Toronto or Vancouver on a yearly basis?

DopeyFish

As I say: real solution is to have 100% revenue sharing

All teams profitable

You ensure precise salary distribution

Every team can afford every player

It will just fuck over New York, Toronto and Montreal owners the most but I don't give a shit.

It would fix everything but add one problem: owners would then be extremely willing to move franchises. And that would just open the door to some fuckwad pulling a norm green again

^^^ Toronto accounts for like 15% league revenue... Between NYR/TOR/MTL they are like 40%... All Canadian teams pull in about 40-50% of league revenue

so between 8 franchises you are looking at 60% revenue and the other 22 do 40%

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What a great deal on Moen, our best defensive forward behind Plekanec, and one of our best Pkers. Good shit Bergevin.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah that's true but qualifying for it is wonky. You must be not one of the top 15 revenue-generating teams, not in a market of 2.5 million homes, average attendance of 14,000 and must have a year-to-year growth rate ahead of the league average.

The cap floor is rising faster than smaller market team revenues and it's putting more and more teams in trouble. Either reduce/slow the growth of the floor or up revenue sharing to compensate.

Something has to be done.
Yep. It needs to be fixed. The current qualifications don't help low revenue teams in big markets, places like Florida and Dallas. Florida gets screwed right off the bat, their market size disqualifies them from revenue sharing. They also can't charge nearly the same prices as other markets can due to the lower demand for hockey. This means they can't make as much money which hurts their ability to ice competitive teams. Because their teams struggle, attendance wanes and revenue drops even more. Growth slows down. It's just a neverending cycle of shit that results in them being fumbling around for years while not getting the revenue sharing that they absolutely need.

Teams were just trying to buy a Stanley Cup. That's wrong in principle. It doesn't always work but it sucks seeing all top players gravitate to the big teams.

Ultimately sports are more exciting when there is a level playing field (as much as possible anyway). Salary cap levels the playing field(for the most part). May the best run/managed team win, not the one that necessarily spends the most.
Exactly.

All teams profitable

It will just fuck over New York, Toronto and Montreal owners the most but I don't give a shit.

It would fix everything but add one problem: owners would then be extremely willing to move franchises. And that would just open the door to some fuckwad pulling a norm green again

^^^ Toronto accounts for like 15% league revenue... Between NYR/TOR/MTL they are like 40%... All Canadian teams pull in about 40-50% of league revenue

Throw in Boston and Philly and you're probably at about 75% amongst ten teams.

Marvie_3

Banned

All teams profitable

If this were the case, then you'd be stuck throwing money away on teams like the Thrashers and Coyotes. The owners would be guaranteed profits even if they only drew 10 fans the whole seasons. You'd need to put in some kind of minimum revenue policy to ensure every team is chipping in something.

Can someone toot Markstrom's horn? I see success internationally but only 8 NHL games on his resume. Is he really Florida's goalie of the future? I remember a certain colour commentator who was also labeled as the "goalie of the future" during his playing days in Florida/Vancouver.

DopeyFish

If this were the case, then you'd be stuck throwing money away on teams like the Thrashers and Coyotes. The owners would be guaranteed profits even if they only drew 10 fans the whole seasons. You'd need to put in some kind of minimum revenue policy to ensure every team is chipping in something.

Reason why those teams exist now is it hugely impacts the cap and increases the profits of those big teams at the top

And improves the middle teams profitability

Without them you'd have like 4 teams profitable

Because of the teams at the top, you need teams in trouble for the middle revenues team to survive

if it's 100% rev sharing, dynamics change. Coyotes and thrashers would have been moved 5 years ago

Red_Man

"NEWS As expected former Guillaume Latendresse will sign with Ottawa #Senators July 1st I am being told between 1M an 1.5 M. "

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's just do the right thing and get rid of the cap.

*Proudly waves 2002 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup banner*

Marvie_3

Banned
Reason why those teams exist now is it hugely impacts the cap and increases the profits of those big teams at the top

And improves the middle teams profitability

Without them you'd have like 4 teams profitable

Because of the teams at the top, you need teams in trouble for the middle revenues team to survive

if it's 100% rev sharing, dynamics change. Coyotes and thrashers would have been moved 5 years ago
Should have put this in my last post but that's kind of what I meant. If teams like Phoenix fail to meet a set revenue amount, then a new owner is found or the team is moved.

Let's just do the right thing and get rid of the cap.

*Proudly waves 2002 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup banner*
So you and the Red Wings both bought a 2002 championship banner.....

Red_Man

Guy from Montreal who knows people says that.

Malcolm Subban wasn't invite to the 2012 world junior camp, are you fucking kidding me? We've had shit goalies the last few years and you dont invite the #1 ranked goalie in north America? What a joke.

Marvie_3

Banned
Guy from Montreal who knows people says that.

Malcolm Subban wasn't invite to the 2012 world junior camp, are you fucking kidding me? We've had shit goalies the last few years and you dont invite the #1 ranked goalie in north America? What a joke.

iBRB1lIihGWrs.gif

Should have put this in my last post but that's kind of what I meant. If teams like Phoenix fail to meet a set revenue amount, then a new owner is found or the team is moved.

So you and the Red Wings both bought a 2002 championship banner.....

Hey, if you have the money spend it, nothing wrong with that at all.

Cake Boss

Banned
What a desperate franchise, its so sad and pathetic (reminds me of the Heatley trade)

Every other team should just have Pronger call Shutlz for them and talk to him about Edmonton.

DopeyFish

Fucking Gretzky and Coffey

I know it's smart and everything

One minute the dude is in college the next he's being wooed by two of the leagues greatest legends

For someone who may not even succeed at the NHL level. Just because it got hyped starting with jake gardiner... "And he's supposed to be better than gardiner!"

It's just so fucking extreme and overkill

Marvie_3

Banned
Fucking Gretzky and Coffey

I know it's smart and everything

One minute the dude is in college the next he's being wooed by two of the leagues greatest legends

For someone who may not even succeed at the NHL level. Just because it got hyped starting with jake gardiner... "And he's supposed to be better than gardiner!"

It's just so fucking extreme and overkill
Yep. Someone's going to run him too.

DopeyFish

The same type of pandering happened with gustavsson and look how badly that shit backfired

Everybody took him on a tour of their cities... They all had big players to meet and greet him. Showed them all the facilities. Leafs, from what I recall, had gustavssons jersey sitting on a table beside all the leafs greats jerseys

shouldn't hindsight kicked in by now... That what a waste of everyone's time that was? What about brunnstrom? What about bozak?

THIS KID ISN'T A SURE THING

And now hype is reaching critical mass for someone who hasn't even played pro...

Fuck.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The same type of pandering happened with gustavsson and look how badly that shit backfired

Everybody took him on a tour of their cities... They all had big players to meet and greet him. Showed them all the facilities. Leafs, from what I recall, had gustavssons jersey sitting on a table beside all the leafs greats jerseys

shouldn't hindsight kicked in by now... That what a waste of everyone's time that was? What about brunnstrom? What about bozak?

And now hype is reaching critical mass for someone who hasn't even played pro...

Fuck.

So you're saying you don't want him on Toronto but the Canucks can take him? Sweet! :)

Heretic

Uncle dstrdl and his nephew heretiwy don't bother me that much. I think the only two words they're capable of saying are "Quack" and "Queens" because all I ever hear is "quack quack queens quack quack quack quack queens!!" Besides, I think I'm on their good side but they just won't admit it.

Pfft. You fucking wish!

<3

The Kings still haven’t re-signed Pancakes yet. But I haven’t heard any rumors of a team being interested…

Last I heard was that he was willing to take a pay cut to stay with the team hahaha

cube444

Fuck.

Apples and oranges.

Gustavsson, Brunnstrom and Bozak were never drafted because they were shit. This Schultz kid was drafted because scouts saw potential in him.

Top Bottom