• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Merguson

Banned
Apples and oranges.

Gustavsson, Brunnstrom and Bozak were never drafted because they were shit. This Schultz kid was drafted because scouts saw potential in him.

Obviously teams saw potential in those players or otherwise they wouldn't have tendered an offer.

What's your point? Schultz, like the others you mentioned, haven't played a single NHL game.

Razorskin

----- ------
Fuck that.

Have this man give him a call.

401404804b62f2b2e2.jpg

end case bitch.

WAIT the guy had his lines in the shield?

This changes everything.

Erdrick

Just read up on this Schultz kid, and... what a prick. My heart goes out to Ducks fans. That's such a dick move what he did. The current obsession with an unproven NHL prospect is so stupid. Sure, he has potential, but that's it right now. If he had some proven record to fall back on and justify some of the no-doubt large offers of money that is being talked around, then I could at least see it a little, but as of now:

Nothing.

I hope he is a bust, for Anaheim fans. At this point, that's the best thing they can get out of this mess.

Just read up on this Schultz kid, and... what a prick. My heart goes out to Ducks fans. That's such a dick move what he did. The current obsession with an unproven NHL prospect is so stupid. Sure, he has potential, but that's it right now. If he had some proven record to fall back on and justify some of the no-doubt large offers of money that is being talked around, then I could at least see it a little, but as of now:

Nothing.

I hope he is a bust, for Anaheim fans. At this point, that's the best thing they can get out of this mess.

There aren't money offers, he has to sign a 2 year standard ELC.

I wouldn't say the obsession is stupid, he's basically a top 10 pick that's running around that a team can pick up entirely for free. No one's going to pass that down.

cube444

Nothing.

What did he do? Any links?

Cake Boss

Banned
WTF is the point of those calls, what could they say to him?

"hey man, if you come here we might lace up our skates again and you get to play with us, god knows we will probably finish higher than the past 5 years.......come on man...... i'll suck ur diicckk"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What did he do? Any links?

Schultz near the end of the season said he was excited to play with the ducks and couldn't wait to play. He never signed a contract, never returned calls.

Used a loophole in the CBA to nullify his rights with the ducks

in the CBA.. A college drafted player has to complete college. He dropped out, so his rights disappear. That started a 30 day signing exclusivity window which anaheim has to sign him or he becomes a free agent. Schultz just entirely ignored Anaheim and is now listening to offers (as the 30 day period just expired on Wednesday)

Nobody knows why he did it either and the ducks want to charge whatever team that signs him with tampering

It was suspected he was going to e leafs originally and that gardiner did the tampering but with this whole meeting thing I dunno anymore

I suspect it's a dog and pony show designed to make it seem legitimate

But... It's all speculation. This has been an absolute disaster for the ducks because he left for nothing when a couple months earlier they expected to have him in the lineup starting his ELC

It's really one fucked up situation

WTF is the point of those calls, what could they say to him?

"hey man, if you come here we might lace up our skates again and you get to play with us, god knows we will probably finish higher than the past 5 years.......come on man...... i'll suck ur diicckk"

"I'll give you my daughter"

"Where do I sign?"

cube444

Schultz near the end of the season said he was excited to play with the ducks and couldn't wait to play. He never signed a contract, never returned calls.

Used a loophole in the CBA to nullify his rights with the ducks

in the CBA.. A college drafted player has to complete college. He dropped out, so his rights disappear. That started a 30 day signing exclusivity window which anaheim has to sign him or he becomes a free agent. Schultz just entirely ignored Anaheim and is now listening to offers (as the 30 day period just expired on Wednesday)

Nobody knows why he did it either and the ducks want to charge whatever team that signs him with tampering

It was suspected he was going to e leafs originally and that gardiner did the tampering but with this whole meeting thing I dunno anymore

I suspect it's a dog and pony show designed to make it seem legitimate

But... It's all speculation. This has been an absolute disaster for the ducks because he left for nothing when a couple months earlier they expected to have him in the lineup starting his ELC

It's really one fucked up situation

Wow he sounds like a douche.

DopeyFish

Schultz will likely make his decision tomorrow says his agent

(Still a possibility he does tonight)

I really wonder what would happen if Schultz signs and the team that signs him trades him back to Anaheim... I'd be LOLing all week

Marvie_3

Banned

I really wonder what would happen if Schultz signs and the team that signs him trades him back to Anaheim... I'd be LOLing all week

Holy shit. That'd be fucking hilarious. :lol

Heretic

Fuuuuu that would be hilarious haha

Well look on the bright side Dastardly and Heretic, at least the Ducks do a great job of getting grade A talent and developing them properly... for other teams that is.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
its a dick move, but hard to blame the kid when he's going to be banking probably 2-3x what his ELC was going to be (i expect we'll see a bonus laden contract). just close the loophole.

DopeyFish

its a dick move, but hard to blame the kid when he's going to be banking probably 2-3x what his ELC was going to be. just close the loophole.

That's the thing!!!

He has to sign an ELC anyways so he's still restricted to the same offer that the ducks could have given him!

its a dick move, but hard to blame the kid when he's going to be banking probably 2-3x what his ELC was going to be (i expect we'll see a bonus laden contract). just close the loophole.
Huberdeau makes 3.175 on his ELC. I doubt he'll get that, if he wanted money he could've proved himself on his ELC with the Ducks. It looks more like it's the org/ playing time issue.

EDIT: Above me is right. He gets an ELC either way.

DopeyFish

Huberdeau makes 3.175 on his ELC. I doubt he'll get that, if he wanted money he could've proved himself on his ELC with the Ducks. It looks more like it's the org/ playing time issue.

He's limited to like 800K excluding bonuses (which most/all ELCs have anyways afaik)

I really don't blame Schultz for doing what he did. He may have said he wants to play for the Ducks, but what else is he going to say when they're the ones who picked him? It's possible he didn't know about the loophole at the time (otherwise I agree that knowing you're not going to play there and saying that would be hypocritical). So putting that aside, it's a choice between playing for the team that drafted you versus having your pick of where you live and play hockey. I know that if I had a choice between having where I live and work be decided for me versus choosing for myself, I'd take the second option and pick. Players do have lives of their own to think about and where you live and who you play for is kind of a huge thing. I don't blame Ducks fans for being bitter though, that has to suck to have a good prospect go away the first chance he gets.

cube444

I really don't blame Schultz for doing what he did. He may have said he wants to play for the Ducks, but what else is he going to say when they're the ones who picked him? It's possible he didn't know about the loophole at the time (otherwise I agree that knowing you're not going to play there and saying that would be hypocritical). So putting that aside, it's a choice between playing for the team that drafted you versus having your pick of where you live and play hockey. I know that if I had a choice between having where I live and work be decided for me versus choosing for myself, I'd take the second option and pick. Players do have lives of their own to think about and where you live and who you play for is kind of a huge thing. I don't blame Ducks fans for being bitter though, that has to suck to have a good prospect go away the first chance he gets.

Where is the pride in playing in the NHL? This kid is a douche with a sense of entitlement. Why not tell Anaheim at the time: "Hey, don't draft me because I don't want to be there"? Burke is an idiot too for going after this guy but then again he's a horrible GM who has done nothing there since getting hired.

DopeyFish

Where is the pride in playing in the NHL? This kid is a douche with a sense of entitlement. Why not tell Anaheim at the time: "Hey, don't draft me because I don't want to be there"? Burke is an idiot too for going after this guy but then again he's a horrible GM who has done nothing there since getting hired.

Burke is the one who drafted him lol

DopeyFish

I know and that's why I find it hilarious how he would go after him again. Leafs are desperate though so that explains that.

Leafs aren't desperate

Leafs have a ton of D... Offensive prospects include gardiner, blacker, rielly, finn

Having him would be nice, but it's not going to hurt not signing him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I know and that's why I find it hilarious how he would go after him again. Leafs are desperate though so that explains that.

2/10

good effort though.

Well, he'll still be playing in the NHL. I'm not going to question his motivation or anything though just because he took advantage of the chance to play where he wants to, as I think most people would do that. If Leafs end up getting him, I'll be happy as after all, that means he wants to be here, so there isn't necessarily any conflict or character fault that carries over from him wanting out of Anaheim.

CREMSteve

Really not a fan of Calgary's offseason gameplan. If you've missed the playoffs three consecutive years, why would you not only re-sign the underachievers, but also give them a raise in the process? How on Earth does that make sense from a business standpoint?

Sarich makes sense, he's coming back at a drastically reduced rate, Stempniak and Comeau... not so much.

CREMSteve

Jay-Feaster-Calgary-Flames.jpeg

"You didn't do so well last season, but here's a raise anyway."

Feaster Math.

Pretty much. Then again, shouldn't be surprised, this is the team that rewarded Tim Jackman with a substantial raise last season as a reward for being the worst plus/minus player on the team, despite playing some of the lowest minutes per game on the squad.

If you play the least minutes, and give up the most goals, we want YOU to sign a contract extension!

Brilliant statistician Feaster is not.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
are we gonna go down this road of calling everyone an alt again? this is why we keep getting labelled as insular

Well, he'll still be playing in the NHL. I'm not going to question his motivation or anything though just because he took advantage of the chance to play where he wants to, as I think most people would do that. If Leafs end up getting him, I'll be happy as after all, that means he wants to be here, so there isn't necessarily any conflict or character fault that carries over from him wanting out of Anaheim.

Nah, he's still a colossal douchebag. If you don't like that you could end up on a team you don't want then don't enter the draft. Don't go into a draft and then whine where you end up when if you're good enough you're obviously going on a sucky team...

What if Schultz's agent and parents convinced him to bail the fuck out of Anaheim and start talking to other teams?

Wouldn't be the first time agents and family pulled more strings than they should've. Fucking Hodgson.

What if Schultz's agent and parents convinced him to bail the fuck out of Anaheim and start talking to other teams?

Wouldn't be the first time agents and family pulled more strings than they should've. Fucking Hodgson.

So? He still did it, I don't see how he came the conclusion matters much. His demands of top 4 time and everything on top of being a douche makes it hard to care if someone tried to talk him into it.

So? He still did it, I don't see how he came the conclusion matters much. His demands of top 4 time and everything on top of being a douche makes it hard to care if someone tried to talk him into it.
Hey, Cody Hodgson demanded top 6 minutes plenty of time and people in Vancouver are still crying about trading him away *cough*smiley*cough*.

Top Bottom