• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Question. So salary cap is $70M this year but that's obviously going down with the new CBA, what happens to teams that do spend up to the $70M cap?

They could scale back contracts they signed this year, or they could give them a grace period to cut/resign players. Even if it goes down it would probably be by a little bit so it shouldnt be to hard for teams to get under it.

Tabris

Canucks essentially have $15.8M in capspace once Luongo is traded, but as mentioned above, I think GM's will most likely follow their own cap of $64m and not $70m

Question. So salary cap is $70M this year but that's obviously going down with the new CBA, what happens to teams that do spend up to the $70M cap?

We don't know anything about how the new CBA will approach this. You can be certain that big market teams near the cap (read: Philly) will make SURE that they are protected in the new agreement. One thing that I think often gets lost in the "Union vs. Management" storyline in these negotiations is that the different teams have VERY different motivations depending on their market strength. This is why more comprehensive profit sharing would likely create a an environment where a CBA could be reached easily. The problem is the most IMPORTANT teams don't want that.

We can sit here and talk about how important a "competitive" league is, but here's the dirty little truth that no one really admits to: At the end of the day it really is just BETTER if the big market teams have ways to exploit their position to a competitive advantage. The question is to what degree do we want to allow that to happen while still growing the sport outside those few small markets. It's a delicate balancing act.

Marvie in particular likes to talk about how small market teams need to be competitive and at equal footing. Then talk about how the union is evil because owners are somehow ENTITLED to profitable business. The funny thing is those two things don't play out AT ALL in collective bargaining. A market acting under NORMAL economic forces would have the big market teams CRUSHING the small market ones because the economic support of their fanbases (aka demand) would give them the ability to crush smaller teams. T

The bottom line of all of this is it actually is a really interesting look into a unique way to handle what would normally be an illegal monopoly through collaboration between labor (which in another weird turn is also the product) and management.

I really do think this CBA will come out without any real major changes to how the league runs. The players are happy to see revenues growing, and they can see the effects in FA every year when the market jumps drastically. (See e.g., Ville Leino) The owners are for the most part happy, and REALLY should be focusing their energies towards better LEAGUE management to improve their bottom lines. Situations like the one in Glendale hurt EVERYONE.

Ok, rant over. I think I've mentioned a few times I'm a bit of a labor law geek so this really interests me. Sorry to anyone (Marvie) if this comes off as an attack. I'm not arguing in any way that measures to increase parity are a BAD thing because there's certainly a legitimate point to be made that parity also increases revenue as well. I'm more pointing out that it requires something OTHER than a typical market analysis because it really is a unique situation.

Rant really over: Bottom line to Tabris' initial point that I completely ignored is, "Big market teams will make sure functioning under a 70.2m cap won't be a detriment to them in the future and will put in mechanisms that give them flexibility because they have the most bargaining leverage out of all the teams at the table."

Seriously, apologies for the wall-o-text.

Heretic

Everything else I'll give you, but I've never heard of that happening.

As for visiting fans being crappy, eh that happens everywhere. In fact, that's one of the biggest reasons why I hate Canucks fans, they are always complete douchebags when they come to Staples. Bruins fans were pretty trashy too, but I can't hate them since they beat the Canucks last year. :D

What's strange is I don't hate the Ducks team at all, but I find your fanbase to be pretty annoying. I was just wondering if you guys had a specific incident because your hate for the Kings seems to comes out on a daily basis and I found that amusing. I hate a few teams, but I don't usually just drop it out of nowhere. You two and a few posters on HF have probably made me into a bigger Ducks hater, which is funning considering that you hate the Kings fans for similar reasons. It's a vicious circle! But what is sports without rivalries? We need each other.

I speak from experience on being heckled, pushed, and cussed out at the Staples center. A group of drunk dudes behind me kept yelling right in my ear AFTER EVERY PLAY the queens would make. Shit was annoying as fuck.

Of course the push was an "accident". This shit isn't exclusive to queens fans. Happens at the dodgers stadium too. Fuck L.A.. Fuck it hard.

Tabris

Man, next two days are exciting for Canucks fans. Get a Schultz decision today, and there's a good chance Luongo will be moved within those 2 days. Plus who knows who we may sign.

I hope there's not too many players that take weeks to sign and I really hope there's no Kovalchuk situation... that was just annoying. I want it to all go down tomorrow while I'm enjoying some beers for Canada day and checking my twitter while out.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@andystrickland: Word is #Oilers and #Sens are final two teams for Justin Schultz"

"People I've talked to this morning believe the Sens may be the favourites when it comes to Justin Schultz. Decision expected this afternoon."

:O

Come on Justin Douchebag, just say which team it is and let me move on already.

Edit: looks like Carkner is testing the market. Who needs someone to punch boyles face in? Islanders?

I actually wouldn't mind signing Brodeur for 2-3 years at around 4 milli. He makes worlds more sense than Lou, but it would just be... weird to see him on any team but the Devils. I would love one of the GOAT goalies to groom Marky to the starter role though.

Dream signing would be Jokinen, Semin, Brodeur.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Schultz may just want to kick off the battle of Ontario again

Schultz vs gardiner
Karlsson vs rielly

Rest of the scrubs duke it out

It will be like the flyers / Tampa trap wait game

Defense vs defense!!!

Tabris

Honestly, I think EDM may have a chance to hurt his career. He will be playing tough minutes and like most rookie defensemen that don't have their defensive game down, he's going to get lit up. That messes with your confidence as a player, especially as a rookie. With Vancouver, he'll be playing behind Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis, and won't ever need to worry about playing against top lines.

Tabris

I love how they are calling this the "Decision". I hope if he picks Vancouver, he says "I'm taking my talents to wreck beach".

Cake Boss

Banned
"@tsnjamesduthie: Justin Schultz is calling the teams who were on his shortlist one by one. The team he has chosen will get the last call."

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLL

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well it's not like Schultz is going to save their D. It will help, but he still hasn't played a single NHL game yet...the coach is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his ass.

Cactus

Banned
Supposedly Minnesota and a "mystery team" are still in it.

This is getting completely ridiculous.

Bob McKenzie
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Seven teams -- EDM, OTT, VAN, MIN, TOR, NYR and ??? -- met with Schultz. TOR and NYR know they are out.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@AJonSports: Just got the same info as @SSimpsonHockey. Schultz deciding between Oilers and Senators. #thedecision"

If ge picks Oilers then hes a loser.

"@SportsnetSpec: Reports now Oilers and Senators are final two teams."

WTF HE STILL Hasnt decided yet?

Top Bottom