• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
Can we just look at some of Edmonton's current forwards?

Shawn Horcoff
Ales Hemsky
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Taylor Hall

Eric Belanger
Ryan Jones
Jordan Eberle
Linus Omark
Sam Gagner
Ryan Smyth
Nail Yakupov

Fuck off.
Yeah....because Pittsburgh didn't tank for a few years and get a bunch of top picks.

It's when your defenseman takes a mega contract in the eastern conference. :/
Or gets traded for Rastislav fucking Olesz?

Quick

Banned
i just wanna save my nhl-gaf boys from getting into any trouble, based on discussion in the euro12 thread, cunt is apparently not a word we're allowed to use on gaf.

so i take back what i said about schultz's behavior being cunty.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39393143&postcount=15795

jwY0V.png

Alucard

Banned
Yeah....because Pittsburgh didn't tank for a few years and get a bunch of top picks.

Hmm, let's compare.

Pens' "tank" picks...

2002 - Ryan Whitney (#5)
2003 - Marc-Andre Fleury (#1)
2004 - Evgeni Malkin (#2)
2005 - Sidney Crosby (#1)
2006 - Jordan Staal (#2)

You can probably take Whitney off this list too.

Oilers' "tank" picks...

2009 - Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (#10)
2010 - Taylor Hall (#1)
2011 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (#1)
2012 - Nail Yakupov (#1)

They also got...

2007 - Sam Gagner (#6)
2008 - Jordan Eberle (#22)

Looks pretty even, I guess.

Funny thing about the 2003 draft when the Pens chose Fleury? They could've had Eric Staal, Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, Corey Perry, or Mike Richards instead. Hindsight is 20/20. Heh. Hard to be too mad with Fleury helping the Pens to a Cup in 2009.

Hmm, let's compare.

Pens' "tank" picks...

2002 - Ryan Whitney (#5)
2003 - Marc-Andre Fleury (#1)
2004 - Evgeni Malkin (#2)
2005 - Sidney Crosby (#1)
2006 - Jordan Staal (#2)

You can probably take Whitney off this list too.

Oilers' "tank" picks...

2009 - Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (#10)
2010 - Taylor Hall (#1)
2011 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (#1)
2012 - Nail Yakupov (#1)

They also got...

2007 - Sam Gagner (#6)
2008 - Jordan Eberle (#22)

Looks pretty even, I guess.

Funny thing about the 2003 draft when the Pens chose Fleury? They could've had Eric Staal, Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, Corey Perry, or Mike Richards instead. Hindsight is 20/20. Heh. Hard to be too mad with Fleury helping the Pens to a Cup in 2009.

So what you're saying is Tom Renney is Eddie Olczyk and the Oilers are gonna win the cup in a few year?

Suter said he wants to retire on his next contract and Nashville would match 7.5... It has to be more unless its a 12+ year contract to lower the avg. With the Wild, Pens and Wings all gunning for him, it will get insane.

Detroit has a ton of cap and just lost Lidstrom, Suter will get paid!!!

on a reasonable 8 mil retirement deal or for a little less, also it probably isn't all about the money unlike Hudler

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Detroit has a ton of cap and just lost Lidstrom, Suter will get paid!!!

on a reasonable 8 mil retirement deal or for a little less, also it probably isn't all about the money unlike Hudler

wasn't tryin to say its all about the money. but if the preds are already offering him 7-7.5, the negotiations tomorrow will start there.. one can only assume they'll go up from there with 4+ teams competing

So flyers are trying to trade for Nash now supposedly. :lol :lol I hope they do so bad, it won't make them any better and probably make them a little worse.

wasn't tryin to say its all about the money. but if the preds are already offering him 7-7.5, the negotiations tomorrow will start there.. one can only assume they'll go up from there with 4+ teams competing

Truthfully, I think it is between Detroit and Nashville at this point, and I know both GM's will push hard, Holland maybe a little more so considering we lost Lids and you guys still have Weber for at least another year.

Curufinwe

Could have had Jeff Carter, too. Don't forget he was actually drafted 13 spots higher than Richards. Almost every team in the league passed on Richards.

Ah fuck, I didn't realize the Flyers could have got Parise instead of Carter with the 11th pick that year. I was happier not knowing that fact.

ShaneB

I still don't get the hype behind this kid.

At least I'll get to see him struggle in deadlastmenton.

I was confused too, glad it's over. My god the Oilers should improve somewhat with all that talent.

also, holy crap at those tax cuts for some markets.

Curufinwe

I think Quick going 72nd in his draft year and being passed on by every team at least twice was probably a more relevant factor. Goalies are almost always hard to predict, though.

Haha, they took that piece of shit Downie in the first round that year. I gotta stop looking at old drafts.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
gaustad back with preds. 4 years 13 million.

overpayment? poile must have really not wanted to lose that 1st round pick

Fei

Wow, crazy money for Gaustad. He's a good shutdown center and great on the draws... but that's a lot more than I would have guessed. Probably the result extremely weak UFA pool, big cap increase, and the fact that Nashville has $35M in cap room.

Alucard

Banned
I'm bored. Which teams do you think Brodeur's agent will talk to? Assuming Marty wants a winner more than a payday.

Washington? (Holtby insurance policy)
Carolina? (Team getting stronger)
Lightning?

Top Bottom