• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I'm bored. Which teams do you think Brodeur's agent will talk to? Assuming Marty wants a winner more than a payday.

Washington? (Holtby insurance policy)Neuverth
Carolina? (Team getting stronger) He wouldn't back up Ward
Lightning?
Panthers. Would be great fit. He has a house down there and he would be a much better fit than Lou. He would have Theo back up then mentor Marky for him to start.

ZeroGravity

I'm bored. Which teams do you think Brodeur's agent will talk to? Assuming Marty wants a winner more than a payday.

Washington? (Holtby insurance policy)
Carolina? (Team getting stronger)
Lightning?
He's not going to go to anywhere that he's not guaranteed to be the starter, so you can rule Washington and Carolina out.

Alucard

Banned
I think Quick going 72nd in his draft year and being passed on by every team at least twice was probably a more relevant factor. Goalies are almost always hard to predict, though.

Haha, they took that piece of shit Downie in the first round that year. I gotta stop looking at old drafts.

The scary thing about looking at draft lists is how many first rounders never did anything substantial in the NHL. :(

Quick

Banned

Washington? (Holtby insurance policy)
Carolina? (Team getting stronger)
Lightning?

I think the Lightning has the best chance of landing him, if he's serious about bailing out of NJ.

No guaranteed starters (correct me if I'm wrong here), with a group that could benefit greatly from even just "good" goaltending.

Montresor

Wow, crazy money for Gaustad. He's a good shutdown center and great on the draws... but that's a lot more than I would have guessed. Probably the result extremely weak UFA pool, big cap increase, and the fact that Nashville has $35M in cap room.

Good shutdown centre and great on the draws? That doesn't make $3.25 mil a year sound like an overpayment.

What line did Gaustad play on in Nashville?

Fei

Good shutdown centre and great on the draws? That doesn't make $3.25 mil a year sound like an overpayment.

No argument from me. He's a 10 goal/30 point guy, and you shouldn't expect more. Sometimes last season I felt he was overpaid at $2.3M.

Separately, I was really impressed with Semin in the playoffs. The guy looked like the best player on the ice a lot of nights.

cube444

Separately, I was really impressed with Semin in the playoffs. The guy looked like the best player on the ice a lot of nights.

*looks up playoff stats*

3 goals and 1 assist in 14 games

Guess I can see why he will be an UFA. Has this guy ever done anything in the playoffs?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
No argument from me. He's a 10 goal/30 point guy, and you shouldn't expect more. Sometimes last season I felt he was overpaid at $2.3M.

Not against the Rangers.

I'm going to miss Semin. :( He has one of the best shots in the league.

Gonna miss him too ):

lDbQh.gif

Alucard

Banned
Pens rumoured to make their biggest offer to a UFA in team history when they approach Parise.

Prior biggest Pens offer to a UFA was 49 million for 7 years to Hossa in 2008. I'm assuming they'll offer Parise 8 million for a similar time period. If he signs with the Wild, he'll just be chasing money. Why wouldn't he come to Pittsburgh to play with Crosby if he wanted to win?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Pens rumoured to make their biggest offer to a UFA in team history when they approach Parise.

Prior biggest Pens offer to a UFA was 49 million for 7 years to Hossa in 2008. I'm assuming they'll offer Parise 8 million for a similar time period. If he signs with the Wild, he'll just be chasing money. Why wouldn't he come to Pittsburgh to play with Crosby if he wanted to win?

Maybe he watched the series against the Flyers.

cube444

Maybe because he doesn't want to play second or third fiddle? Maybe because winning isn't guaranteed anywhere you go?

Fei

Did you see the series against the Flyers?

Does anyone think Parise is worth $8M+?

Tabris

Everyone in this thread needs to watch Goon. I know people will think this is sacrilegious, but it's better than Slap Shot in my opinion.

Tabris

I really hope we don't go after Garrison. Let's shoot for the top, let's try going after Parise (unless some team is stupid enough to pay him 8+m a year than fuck that noise)

EDIT - Actually scratch that, unless a player is willing to sign for 6 to 6.5M on our team, I wouldn't want to sign them as it may mess with team chemistry (top players all taking a semi-discount)

Top Bottom