• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Last year Sather had a perfect Free Agency. So this year I'm sure a player like Konopka is gonna get a 10 year 90 mill contract with an NMC from the Rangers.

Cactus

Banned
I wouldn't mind Penner on a one-year contract, but anything more is a huge risk. Also, stay the hell away from Prust, Burke! The Leafs don't need a $3m fourth liner.

Oh no, he's coming back to Detroit after we miss out on the big names.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also false alarm on Cheli and Ilitch going to meet Suter, I guess they were going to before Suter stated he didn't want to do any face to face meetings today, though Holland is still going to see Parise. :(

Alucard

Banned
I actually watched Goon on Netflix today. It got better in the last half hour or so, but I thought it was pretty awful otherwise. Jay Baruchel's character (and his screenplay, and just his dumb face in general) was a big part of why I felt that, I think.

Yeah, I -really- disliked his character. The "dialogue" that was written for him was abysmal. Dropping curse words in every sentence doesn't make a character funny.

FREE AGENCY! McKenzie reporting that Lou is meeting with Parise in TO, and that Zach will make a decision to test the market or not within the next hour.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
i8r9rPckYSz4j.jpg

Oh yeah Markov, wow, where *parade whistles* you serious? that's the reason you guys sucked? I watch all your games, I have RDS dont try and play smart with me. Markov recovering from those minor scratches wouldnt have got you anywheree, truest me, I have hardcore Hab's fans that have Brent Ghilcrhirst jerseys living here in Alberta. You can sit there with Solo and re-wacth DESJARDINS highlights and talk shit about other teams? GTFO.

Don't you EVER talk shit about Desjardins again!

MPW

Alexei Emelin signed to 2 year extension (2M/year)

2m? a bit overpaid but got him signed

expect habs to not land suter or parise

Cactus

Banned
With these cap circumventing contracts probably getting banned with the new CBA, I guess Parise feels pretty lucky that he's still able to sign one. I bet the cap hit will be under $7m, even if he gets a $24m signing bonus.

Douche.

Alucard

Banned
If that's true, then the Pens are out of this sweepstakes. A guy who has never hit 100 points getting 12 million just to sign a contract? GTFO. This market is stupid.

cube444

He always brings a physical element and Bergevin and the Habs are acknowledging it. I think it's a fair deal for both sides.

cube444

If that's true, then the Pens are out of this sweepstakes. A guy who has never hit 100 points getting 12 million just to sign a contract? GTFO. This market is stupid.

That's not even factoring in the addition of his salary for the season too. :lol

Cactus

Banned

I haven't really watched him play, but his stat line looks pretty terrible. Maybe they had to overpay to ensure he doesn't go back to the KHL?

Looks like the Monster is going to head to free agency and not sign with the Jets, I guess Detroit is interested in picking him up as a backup, I think as a backup to Howard that would be just fine.

Cactus

Banned
Come on brodeur... Come to Toronto :D

Please?

The more I think about that possibility, the more I don't want it to happen. His numbers on the Devils over the last two seasons haven't been much better than what Reimer and Gustavsson gave us with defensively inept Leafs teams playing in front of them. I know he turns it on for the playoffs, but since the issue is getting there, I'm not sure he's the right fit. Either way, it's a difficult situation.

SpacLock

I have a feeling that we're not getting shit today. Nobody is interested in us old farts anymore. Everyone wants to join Edmonton and Pittsburg because of those young whipper snappers.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
7th rounder better than nothing! :D

I think Toronto would be great for Marty. However, does he want money? Security? To be the man? Hell we had an aging Belfour hold Tue team together for a few years.

Still, I can't imagine the NJDs letting him go for nothing too. I'm sure they'll work something out.

Where is our #1C and #1G Burke?!

Edit: Allaire no longer works for the Leafs

Merguson

Banned

I think Toronto would be great for Marty. However, does he want money? Security? To be the man? Hell we had an aging Belfour hold Tue team together for a few years.

Still, I can't imagine the NJDs letting him go for nothing too. I'm sure they'll work something out.

It was a conditional pick so the Leafs get nothing in the end.

Cactus

Banned

Unfortunately, the Jets kept their 7th since Gustavsson didn't sign there. It was a conditional pick.

Also, I'm pretty sure Allaire is still the goalie coach in Toronto.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Someone pointed out recently that Brodeur hates Francois Allaire's goalie teaching. When he was 16 he begged his father to take him out of Allaire's goalie school

That was 24 years ago man

And I'm sure brodeur doesn't need a goalie coach anymore

I'm sure he knows everything he does right and wrong

And allaire might be retiring

pringles

Looks like the Monster is going to head to free agency and not sign with the Jets, I guess Detroit is interested in picking him up as a backup, I think as a backup to Howard that would be just fine.
There's a good goalie in him. I'd definitely take him as a backup. He was a brick wall before Toronto ruined him.

Cactus

Banned
There's a good goalie in him. I'd definitely take him as a backup. He was a brick wall before Toronto ruined him.

A brick wall in the SEL against sub-AHL level hockey players, and before multiple heart surgeries.

He definitely has the skill to be a #1, but he's one of the most inconsistent goalies I've ever seen.

Yes, and Brunnstrom was the next Naslund until the filthy Dallas Stars ruined him too.

Jonas had some rough luck in Toronto, but playing behind a porous D wasn't the only reason for his poor performances. I think he simply lacks the concentration/attention span to be a NHL goalie.

beanman25

Calling it now, the Blues end up with Brooks Orpik by the end of the day.

Stewart for Orpik and a 3rd Rounder.

EDIT: All of this assuming the Pens get Suter (Which I think they will)

Cactus

Banned
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell
Obviously things can change quick, but it appears Brodeur, Parise, Hedberg, Ponikarovsky, Salvador and Sykora will all test free agency.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Jordan Staal agrees to terms with CAR. 10 years, $60M. Done.

Top Bottom