• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Tallon asked about #FlaPanthers goalie situation: We signed Clemmensen yesterday, he'll battle with Theo and Marky in fall.

Interesting. Let's hope Markstrom has a monster camp so we don't have to endure another stretch of "The Trials of Clemmensen"

Terrible trade for Buff value wise.

Top 6 center for a bottom 6 winger.

Not really considering his production the last few years. He barely showed up this past season. Just because people say he was a top 6 center years ago doesn't mean he is now. It's astonishing we got anything for him. Hope he picks it back up for the Stars tho.

Cagey

Banned
Article from the primary Devils beat writer... nothing terribly new...

No decision from yet Zach Parise, but it could come tonight; Devils still in the mix; No deadline

Zach Parise told reporters outside the Mississauga, Ontario offices of his agent, Wade Arnott, this afternoon that he has yet to make a decsion on where he will sign next season and wants to take a step back and talk it over with his family.

Parise said he is getting closer to making a decision, but there is no timetable for when that will happen.

‘It’s such a long-term, important decision, you have to make sure you look at everything,” Parise told reporters.

Arnott indicated it is still possible Parise will announce a decision by the end of tonight or Tuesday morning.

“We have thoroughly deliberated every option with Zach,” Arnott said in a statement. “He wishes to take some time to step back and review all with his fiance and his family. We could be drawing closer to a decision.”

Parise said the Devils are still in the mix, but wouldn’t name any other teams he is considering. He did say, “the list is still there.”

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota were also said to be in the mix. Parise wouldn’t say today if he eliminated any teams from his list.

Parise said the Devils’ financial situation is not a factor.

Encouraging.

He needs to purify himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka

2151204_o.gif

cube444

Parise has been overwhelmed with multi-million dollar offers from several teams. He wouldn't say which teams he's narrowed it down to, but he did say New Jersey is still in the mix. The Wild remains one team on his list, I'm ensured, and the others appear to be Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago and Detroit.

Link

Solo

Pretty pleased overall with the Price deal. About $1M more per than I would have liked, but whatever. He's making $1.5M less than Bryz and is twice as good.

It's definitely not the top center Buffalo fans are clamoring for, so hopefully there's another deal or free agent still coming for that.

Do like having a guy who will actually hit though, should be able to fill Gaustad's role at the very least.

Not sure how Pardy fits into this. Sabres have way too many D. Counting Brayden McNabb there are 9 NHL D right now. (10 with TJ Brennan, but at this point there'd be no way he even makes it up here at #8).

Fei

I've wanted Roy off this team for the last few years. It just feels so good. We could have gotten a bag of pucks and I'd be happy. For those who don't know, Roy went out in 10-11 for the year while putting up 35 points in 35 games. Anonymous Sabres player said team will be better without him. Sabres went on huge run to make the playoffs. He's the definition of addition by subtraction in my eyes.

If there are no other moves, this leaves Ennis and Hodgson as our top 2 centers. You have to think the Sabres are going to give Grigorenko every chance to make the team this year.

Not sure how Pardy fits into this.

I'd be surprised if he ever plays in Buffalo. Rochester-bound.

Not when the Devils offer is likely lower than the others, as tends to be Lou's MO.

Which is a concern of their finances. Lou has zero reason to try to lowball him. Zero. He's offering what he can, which will never be as competitive as the offers from teams that actually have money.

Cagey

Banned
Which is a concern of their finances. Lou has zero reason to try to lowball him. Zero. He's offering what he can, which will never be as competitive as the offers from teams that actually have money.

You're missing the point. Lou is generally steadfast with his valuation of players when they hit FA. He has a number he wants the player under contract at, and that's usually the end of it. Players take it or players leave it. What you're referring to as "lowballing", though, isn't necessarily lowballing. If a team is going to grossly overpay Zach Parise (what up Minnesota), Lou isn't the type of GM who panic-matches the offer to get the player to stay, regardless of financial difficulties or windfalls for the organization at-large. It's just not his MO.

The Kovalchuk deal was the exception that proves the rule. If Parise signs with the Devils, I'd put good money on the deal 1) not being the highest on the market and 2) not even being the second highest.

EDIT: tl;dr -- Lou's offer wouldn't appreciably change if the Devils were bankrolled by Bill Gates unless the salary cap disappeared.

You're missing the point. Lou is generally steadfast with his valuation of players when they hit FA. He has a number he wants the player under contract at, and that's usually the end of it. Players take it or players leave it. What you're referring to as "lowballing", though, isn't necessarily lowballing. If a team is going to grossly overpay Zach Parise (what up Minnesota), Lou isn't the type of GM who panic-matches the offer to get the player to stay, regardless of financial difficulties or windfalls for the organization at-large. It's just not his MO.

The Kovalchuk deal was the exception that proves the rule. If Parise signs with the Devils, I'd put good money on the deal 1) not being the highest on the market and 2) not even being the second highest.

All I'm saying is what's the hold up then? Nobody doubts that Parises first choice is to be a devil for life. Everyone doubts the devils can afford to do it. Their finance problems are no secret to everyone at this point.

I get the way Lou does things. But if it's as you say, then he is playing with fire with the face of his franchise who just do happens to have hired the most bloodthirsty hockey agency around.

My guess is that he's holding out hope they can get more money from somewhere, in which case he'll be waiting awhile.

Cagey

Banned
All I'm saying is what's the hold up then? Nobody doubts that Parises first choice is to be a devil for life. Everyone doubts the devils can afford to do it. Their finance problems are no secret to everyone at this point.

I get the way Lou does things. But if it's as you say, then he is playing with fire with the face of his franchise who just do happens to have hired the most bloodthirsty hockey agency around.

My guess is that he's holding out hope they can get more money from somewhere, in which case he'll be waiting awhile.

I agree it's playing with fire, but there's also the larger picture of what's best for the franchise under the current NHL salary cap. It's fun to say "we need him back at all costs, great player + intangibles" but when you look at the actual cost of "at all costs", you start to shake your head.

Parise at $100m over 10 years, for example, in a salary cap world? That's rough.

Where we're not seeing eye-to-eye is what "Devils can't afford Parise" means. Some assume its the Devils literally cannot pay Parise $8.5m next year instead of $8m, as in they'd have to pass around the tithe jar at home games. Instead, I'm seeing affordability as the Devils being able to "afford" Parise under the salary cap and moving forward with cap flexibility and a well-constructed team.

I agree it's playing with fire, but there's also the larger picture of what's best for the franchise under the current NHL salary cap. It's fun to say "we need him back at all costs, great player + intangibles" but when you look at the actual cost of "at all costs", you start to shake your head.

Parise at $100m over 10 years, for example, in a salary cap world? That's rough.

Where we're not seeing eye-to-eye is what "Devils can't afford Parise" means. Some assume its the Devils literally cannot pay Parise $8.5m next year instead of $8m, as in they'd have to pass around the tithe jar at home games. Instead, I'm seeing affordability as the Devils being able to "afford" Parise under the salary cap and moving forward with cap flexibility and a well-constructed team.

Right, because there wouldnt be enough real dollars to go around to pay the other players.

Losing Parise will be devastating to that franchise.

ZeroGravity

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
From Suter's agent Neil Sheehy: ``There will be no decision on Ryan Suter tonight and there is no timetable for his contract signing at this time. Ryan is considering his opportunities and is taking the necessary time to give each proper consideration. ''
You've got to be kidding me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lol at these guys screwing over everyone else. Egomaniacs.

@Aportzline: Would not be surprised if #CBJ had Rick Nash talks with #Sabres, per RDS report, as GM Scott Howson is willing to talk w all teams.

@Aportzline: Can confirm, however, the #Sabres are not on Nash's approved list of teams to which he'd accept trade.

@Aportzline: #CBJ GM Scott Howson has talked w all clubs with the hope Nash and his agent, Joe Resnick, would expand the list. No sign of that happening.

How long before Nash gets pissed off and comes out with a statement? Howson is trying to deal with teams not on Nash's list. That has yet to work and shows no signs of changing. That's only going to make Nash and his agent angrier.

Pretty pleased overall with the Price deal. About $1M more per than I would have liked, but whatever. He's making $1.5M less than Bryz and is twice as good.

Using the Flyers as a measuring stick for just about anything at this point is just foolish. Our team is a mess.

I can't even put together a genuine opinion on the team. In a lot of ways I think we're better than any other team in the league. In a lot of other ways I think we're as poorly managed as Columbus.

Top Bottom