• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I was responding more to Smiley and back when you Ducks fans WERE salty over supposed tampering by the Leafs.

edit: and I did say it seemed like the bitterness was over. Just like Canucks fans to rile other people up! :O

waitwhat? I.. what? All I said was that the topic was over and why you'd bring it up again... and now you're accusing me of riling people up because I pointed out you didn't have to bring it up? sure, whatever floats your boat :p

Still nothing on Parise? Ah well!

My daughter was born at 553pm today! :D Thrilled!

Congratz man! The first? :)

Veitsev

Is there a Stars gaf to explain their moves lately?

The Stars are trying to change their leadership group. That group consisted of Ribeiro, Ott, Morrow, and Robidas. For the past few years the Stars have been in the position to make the playoffs at the trade deadline and have choked down the stretch. Two years ago it was them missing the last game of the season. This past season they lost the last 5 games of the season. In both seasons they led the division for significant amounts of time. The team is also looking to get younger and move guys they don't think will be here as core pieces in 3 years. Whitney is old and some may view that signing as inconsistent but he was brought in to serve as a stop gap until some of our prospect wingers in the AHL are ready for the NHL.

That leadership group was/is also known for taking bad penalties, whining to the refs, diving, etc. This was a bad enough problem last season that Gulutzan said some public things about it (He was not happy). With Ribeiro, he was bad enough in the faceoff circle and defensively for the team to have to take away Eriksson and Ryder from Benn and stack his lines to keep his line from getting rolled over. Benn was forced into a checking line role for most of the season on the second line with Ott even though he did a great job centering the first line with Eriksson and Ryder previously. Near the half way point of the season the Stars changed their entire strategy and gave Ribeiro offensive zone starts near 70% and gave Benn the harder minutes. Ribeiro would also frequently stay overstay his shifts on the PP taking time away from Benn. There is also quite a bit of smoke to suggest that significant members of Stars management do not like Ribeiro. They have been trying to trade him since last seasons offseason.

Ott is actually a pretty good hockey player. He is a good defensively and a top face off guy. The issue with Ott is he has a very poor reputation with the officials and takes far too many penalties. This cutesy agitator shit was amusing when Ott was entering the league and was a 4th liner but he has blossomed into an effective 3rd line guy. Ott being in the penalty box doesn't help the Stars. They need him out their to take draws and on the PK. Ott's agitating style was getting tiresome and it can be argued that his penalties did more harm than good. I think for the most part management liked Ott. If this team were deeper they probably would have kept him but they decided to sell on him when his value was high. With Riberio gone they needed a 2nd line C far more than what Ott was bringing to the table.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The Stars are trying to change their leadership group. That group consisted of Ribeiro, Ott, Morrow, and Robidas. For the past few years the Stars have been in the position to make the playoffs at the trade deadline and have choked down the stretch. Two years ago it was them missing the last game of the season. This past season they lost the last 5 games of the season. In both seasons they led the division for significant amounts of time. The team is also looking to get younger and move guys they don't think will be here as core pieces in 3 years. Whitney is old and some may view that signing as inconsistent but he was brought in to serve as a stop gap until some of our prospect wingers in the AHL are ready for the NHL.

That leadership group was/is also known for taking bad penalties, whining to the refs, diving, etc. This was a bad enough problem last season that Gulutzan said some public things about it (He was not happy). With Ribeiro, he was bad enough in the faceoff circle and defensively for the team to have to take away Eriksson and Ryder from Benn and stack his lines to keep his line from getting rolled over. Benn was forced into a checking line role for most of the season on the second line with Ott even though he did a great job centering the first line with Eriksson and Ryder previously. Near the half way point of the season the Stars changed their entire strategy and gave Ribeiro offensive zone starts near 70% and gave Benn the harder minutes. Ribeiro would also frequently stay overstay his shifts on the PP taking time away from Benn. There is also quite a bit of smoke to suggest that significant members of Stars management do not like Ribeiro. They have been trying to trade him since last seasons offseason.

Ott is actually a pretty good hockey player. He is a good defensively and a top face off guy. The issue with Ott is he has a very poor reputation with the officials and takes far too many penalties. This cutesy agitator shit was amusing when Ott was entering the league and was a 4th liner but he has blossomed into an effective 3rd line guy. Ott being in the penalty box doesn't help the Stars. They need him out their to take draws and on the PK. Ott's agitating style was getting tiresome and it can be argued that his penalties did more harm than good. I think for the most part management liked Ott. If this team were deeper they probably would have kept him but they decided to sell on him when his value was high.

I am so very confused right now. Junior Stars Gaf? First Calgary, now Dallas getting additions, good good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
waitwhat? I.. what? All I said was that the topic was over and why you'd bring it up again... and now you're accusing me of riling people up because I pointed out you didn't have to bring it up? sure, whatever floats your boat :p

Congratz man! The first? :)
All I asked was if the bitterness was done. Not sure why you had to jump in there; I wasn't sure if ducks fans did feel there was still tampering.

Congrats alucard!

Ribeiro was always a chill brah when I chatted with him. We need some more spice to this team, need to add a lazy Russian or call Jordie and Luddy son for the hell of it.

Congrats Alucard!

Now for Canucks GAF, dunno who else still keeps up with Tom but he's usually the rare bastion of sense-talking that is otherwise smothered by our hilarious run-the-story media.

I don’t think people who did not live through it can understand the media circus that surrounded Bure in Vancouver. Stories linking his name to Russian mafia murders? Check. Stories about his popularity in the gay community and whispers about his sexual orientation? Check. Linden and Bure were feuding? Check. Anything to put Bure on the front page and sell papers? Check.

Bure, Gallagher and the 1994 Finals: A recap and rebuttal to a Canucks beat reporter that goes into the later reasons why Bure was dealt to the Panthers (ironically at which point his agent was current GM Mike Gillis...)

As a bonus, in one of the comments he discusses what happened with Igor Larionov and his two educated guesses as to what may have happened.

nasero

8 months later and Chris Pronger still has severe concussion symptoms. I think he's done.

Yeah, its a shame. Every time I hear about Marc Savard still having issues i just feel terrible. These guys have the heart but they just can't do it anymore.

Erdrick

Really like the signings that our GM did for the Jets over the past 2 days. Alexei Ponikarovski and Jokinen from the Flames. (Spelling wrong on their names? Not used to them yet...) Now just get Wellwood and Kane resigned and find us a solid backup goalie, and we will be set.

Kane*-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Little-Wellwood*
Ponikarovski-Antropov-Burmistrov
Thorburn-Slater-Machacek*
Miettinen wherever he can fit I suppose. Maybe he will surprise me and be more productive this year.

Byfuglien-Enstrom
Stuart-Bogosian
Hainsey-Clitsome Or Flood* if he signs with us again. He was decent last year.

Pavelec/????

*RFA/UFA's and am assuming we are able to resign these guys. I hope we can.

Hmm... I really hope this season can start off and go as normal, as we have gotten much bigger up front all of a sudden and I am excited to see how this plays out.

Razorskin

----- ------
AWESOME

I have 3 kids: 2 boys and a daughter. Mats, Wendel and Edbelfa they be named.

edit: I like Buffalo's moves - some grit and the likelihood Grigorenko will play.

Please tell me you didn't name your daughter Edbelfa, I know you named your kids after Leafs players but that's just cruel.

And congrats Alucard, I hope she becomes a Habs fan.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We need some big-name free agent action today.

Yesterday was a total disappointment.

Top Bottom