• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I don't get what the point is of hold up all these teams like this. I would think every team has made their beat offer by now. I really hope he decides today.

cube444

‏@Ledger_NJDevils
For those knocking Parise's "anything is possible" comment, he says the UFA process has been extremely stressful.

:lol This is really getting stupid now. Didn't Parise choose to go the UFA route? Also, how stressful is to choose between 4-5 contracts valued at 90-100 million?!

Give this loser a violin and let him cry those crocodile tears.

So now Dreger is saying Nash's list could get longer. Hilarious. Resnick is trying to put pressure on GMs now. He negotiates through Dreger and Howson negotiates through Portzline. If Nash expands his list, Resnick will have egg on his face.

pringles

I don't get what the point is of hold up all these teams like this. I would think every team has made their beat offer by now. I really hope he decides today.
It's almost like they haven't had a single thought about what they're going to do before July 1st hit.

How difficult is it to talk with you agent, and say "If team X offers money Y, for term Z, take that offer!"?

Shouldn't be that hard for Parise to decide if he wants 100 Million dollars for playing next to Datsyuk or next to Crosby or next to.. whoever Minnesota has.

And with Suter not making a decision either.. I think they're trying to make it work on the same team.

Tallon so far has said we are looking to add 2-3 prospects to the line-up. Huberdeau is nearly a lock after day one and it sounds like Howden and Bjustard (if he turns pro and leaves the NCAA) are the other possibilities. Huber is ready (made the squad but was too thin last year), Howden looks great and Bjustard is coming off a great year (42pts in 40 games) with the Golden Gophers.

I don't like the idea though of putting the offensive depth on the shoulders of rookies. Look at Frolik had a monster rookie year but was not ready. Plus I can't recall when the last time when rookies could hold together a team's scoring depth. This is what happened with prospects before Tallon and it never worked. I hope we get a Semin or even Lou for peanuts because the team needs to inprove next year not fall behind.

SpacLock

Word has it that they're looking for a cheap house in Detroit before signing anything. It's hard to find a cheap place in Detroit right now with the demand.

ShaneB

Little late on this, but congrats Alucard! I can't wait to be a Dad someday (sooner than later I hope..), best of luck, and get sleep whenever you can! :p

Solo, I'm really liking all the pick ups the Habs are doing, really beefing up, and with Carey signed, there is a definite huge upside for the Habs future.

Also, for the madness that goes on in Flames-land, getting Hudler is a terrific deal for them, especially after baffling everyone with odd decisions before.

Really hope Suter and Parise sign soon, I hate seeing this crap drag out.... (hurry up Nash, and then Phoenix..)

I guess Babcock was spotted at Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport this morning... hmmm...

Edit: also congrats Alucard, hopefully she becomes a Wings fan once she sees how crazy you are for the Pens down the road.

I just read on twitter that people close to Parise are saying a decision should come today. I guess Lou found some extra change in the Devils couch.

SpacLock

I guess Babcock was spotted at Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport this morning... hmmm...

Edit: also congrats Alucard, hopefully she becomes a Wings fan once she sees how crazy you are for the Pens down the road.

Seems like he narrowed down the teams enough to start meeting with people.

Oh, and congrats Alucard. Is she going to be a forward? Goalie?

Cagey

Banned
Yeah, they decided they were only gonna play with 2 lines from now on.

We're gonna roll with two top lines and two fourth lines.

We're gonna find an even smaller Gionta family member for the "fifth" line, as it will be affectionately called.

EDIT: Good cap number for Salvador, would have preferred two years.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hmmm give up the farm for Nash or just sign Semin?

51 playoff games and 34 points compared to 4 games.

More 70 points seasons and 1 80 points season compared to just one 70 point season and zero 80 point season.

Had 5 less points in 5 less games last season.

Probably cheaper than 7.8 for 6 years.

Dont have to give up the farm.

Wouldnt mind Semin on Ott but seeing how this organization and the media is scared shitless of Russian skilled players I dont see it happening.

Hmmm give up the farm for Nash or just sign Semin?

51 playoff games and 34 points compared to 4 games.

More 70 points seasons and 1 80 points season compared to just one 70 point season and zero 80 point season.

Had 5 less points in 5 less games last season.

Probably cheaper than 7.8 for 6 years.

Dont have to give up the farm.

Wouldnt mind Semin on Ott but seeing how this organization and the media is scared shitless of Russian skilled players I dont see it happening.

Yeah but Semin quit on his team in the playoffs. The lowlights they show of his in the series against TB would make me never want him on my team. I have no idea what type of playoff player Nash would be but I think he would at least try.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hmmm yes I didnt know one playoff series from 2 years ago defined an entire career for a player. All I know was that Semin played a 200 foot game last playoffs and was arguabbly better than Oveshkin.
Backchecking, blocked a couple of shots and making plays in a very defensive system.

Hunter was playing serious games with Ovi in the playoffs so I am not sure you can draw much from that. The fact that Semin was ever willing to put in a effort like he did against TB should be a major cause for concern. I would take Nash any day over Semin, but I dont want either one. Ryan is so much better then either guy.

cube444

Hmmm yes I didnt know one playoff series from 2 years ago defined an entire career for a player. All I know was that Semin played a 200 foot game last playoffs and was arguabbly better than Oveshkin.
Backchecking, blocked a couple of shots and making plays in a very defensive system.

No, he wasn't.

3 goals, 1 assist, -4 in 14 games and a no show versus the Rangers suggests otherwise.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
According to the 4th period, the main teams interested in Ryan are : Canes, Flyers, Habs, Leafs, NYR.

Don't have any idea what Habs could give up that would be of value that isn't a player we aren't giving up.

Solo

According to the 4th period, the main teams interested in Ryan are : Canes, Flyers, Habs, Leafs, NYR.

Don't have any idea what Habs could give up that would be of value that isn't a player we aren't giving up.

I'd do Pleky + Beaulieu + pick, but Ducks would likely want Subban + pick, so no. But goddamn I would kill for Ryan.

Odd, says we're on it as well.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/220191396039114752

Les Canadiens sont toujours intéressés à Bobby Ryan, comme les autres équipes (BUF, OTT, PHI, etc), mais un échange n'est pas imminente

I don't think 4thP is legit though.

Cake Boss

Banned
Alex Semin past 4 seasons: 271 points in 277 GP (NHL Rank) .978 pts per game (14) .44 goals per game (11th). +92 (4th amongst all forwards)

led the team in takeaways last year, 2nd in 2010-2011 and 2nd in 2009-2010.

Red_Man

Can't unload Plekanec this early or we'll be another lottery pick. Even if Galchenyuk makes the team, he'll be a 3rd or 2nd line winger to start. Going into the season with Desharnais and Eller as the 1-2 = almost doing as bad as Edmonton next year.

Fei

I woke up today and Derek Roy was still gone.

Life is good.

image.php

Solo

You really wouldnt trade Subban + a pick for Ryan? I would do that trade for sure if I was a Habs fan.

Maybe I would do it, but Montreal as a franchise never will. Subban's value there is more than just as a player. If you go to a game at the Bell Centre, over half of the jerseys you see are Subban. He's really their money maker.

Red_Man

I don't think 4thP is legit though.
They're more legit then a lot of people out there, but not up with the Bob Mackenzies, and Dredgers of course. Doesn't really matter though, like I said, don't know what we would give up for him.

You really wouldnt trade Subban + a pick for Ryan? I would do that trade for sure if I was a Habs fan.
People don't understand how valuable Subban is to the team. He plays 30 mins a night sometimes, on the #1 PP unit and #1 PK unit, plays against every teams top lines, and had 36 points while being a +9 in his "sophomore year" where he was slumping and scratched.

Hilarious read from 1994:

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05...mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

In a blistering post-mortem, captain Pat Verbeek called McGuire's firing the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said other teams mocked their coach. He said his own teammates had no respect for McGuire. He said a number of players wouldn't have wanted to play in Hartford anymore.

Anyone want to hire Pierre McGuire ? Anyone ?

We said McGuire was overemotional.

When the hallway curtain opened after a loss in Boston, McGuire was found by the media wildly smashing sticks against the wall. When the door opened after a loss in Pittsburgh, McGuire was seen knocking furniture around the coach's room.

We said he was full of himself.

Many times he privately said after a game how he outcoached the other guy. But it was something never really made public until May 3, when McGuire proclaimed that no coach in the NHL ``can outwit me.'' That quote ran in The Hockey News and raised eyebrows all over the NHL.

His fascination with trying to outwit the other coach may hurt the Whalers in the long run. Instead of playing kids such as Robert Petrovicky or Kevin Smyth long after it was apparent the team was out of the playoff race, McGuire would fastidiously match lines, go with aging veterans and make sure certain faceoff alignments were always followed. Instead of development, he seemed just to want to squeeze out two points.

Once when he was an assistant coach, McGuire bragged about his strategy to shut down Mario Lemieux. This was after a 7-3 loss and four goals by Kevin Stevens.

On the bench, players said McGuire would taunt the other team, saying he couldn't believe the opposing coach was allowing him certain line matchups. This braggadocio led Pittsburgh's Jaromir Jagr to mock McGuire in December. McGuire got Jagr for an illegal stick, and after Jagr jumped out of the penalty box, he scored on a breakaway. Although he had scored big goals in two Stanley Cup championships, Jagr called this overtime goal the biggest of his life because he humbled ``that know-it-all.''

Solo

Word is Anaheim wants a 2nd line Center as well as a few other pieces for Ryan.

Seriously, we'll give you Pleky, Anaheim! We'll throw in Diaz and/or Weber too (or one of Beaulieu/Ellis if you want prospects), and one of our 2nd rounders next season.

Maybe I would do it, but Montreal as a franchise never will. Subban's value there is more than just as a player. If you go to a game at the Bell Centre, over half of the jerseys you see are Subban. He's really their money maker.

That makes sense. I just think Ryan is poised to be a breakout player this year. I hope the Flyers offer Vorcek, Read, and 2 1st's for him.

calder

Yeah but Semin quit on his team in the playoffs. The lowlights they show of his in the series against TB would make me never want him on my team. I have no idea what type of playoff player Nash would be but I think he would at least try.

The agent for Alex Semin is not a happy man.

After hearing claims his client “quit on his team” and “ would... never want him on my team,” Mark Gandler had some harsh words for GAF NHL Thread poster yankeehater on Tuesday, saying his comments could get in the way of contract talks with NHL teams interested in signing Semin as an unrestricted free agent.

“I can tell you that’s the worst I’ve ever heard a poster say about any player,” Gandler told CSNWashington.com. “What bothered me was that the mod [bishoptl] did not step in.”
Gandler said Semin is just as valuable as a free agent as New Jersey Devils forward Zach Parise.

“In fact, Semin’s stats are better than those of Parise,” Gandler said. “The only way to attack that is to call Semin names I have to tell you I’m going to check with my attorney.

“I think yankeehater should know better. Take a look at Semin’s plus-minus over the same period of time as Parise. Look at his plus-minus over any period against his teammates with the Capitals and you will see he is not that guy they say.”

Man, I hope Gandler doesn't just decide to do a class-action suit against the whole forum, because really no one has much good to say about Semin.

Top Bottom