• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

cube444

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
talked to Zach Parise at MSP. He says he has not made a decision and he and his fiancée will talk today. "that has not started." #MNWild

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
Parise has no timetable, says is "so much more than the money. That plays a very small part in it."

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
I'm not suggesting Parise is lying, but multiple players who know him very well made it clear he's made a decision #NHL

CREMSteve

The Flames desperately need to make a trade. Their roster is too large, especially at LW.

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Roman Cervenka ($3.775m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Lance Bouma ($0.693m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m) /
Blake Comeau ($1.250m) / Mikael Backlund ($0.827m) /
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Anton Babchuk ($2.500m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / Chris Butler ($1.250m)
Derek Smith ($0.775m) / T.J. Brodie ($0.742m)

GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m)
Henrik Karlsson ($0.863m)
Leland Irving ($0.660m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,855,624; BONUSES: $3,636,250
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,344,376

6 LW, 5 C, and only 3 RW. They also have 8 D and 3 Goalies.

That isn't even counting Roman Horak (RW) or Greg Nemisz (C). who I'm now assuming will both start the season in Abby despite playing significant roles on the big club last season.

I'm thinking Feaster will attempt to move Matt Stajan, Anton Babchuk, Henrik Karlsson and he SHOULD try to move Tim Jackman, but he won't. >.<

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah more bullshit from these players again about money, yeah right money isn't part of the descion, is that why your asking 12 million upfront for a couple of years, I love it when hockey people/analysts/reporters and players say that money isn't an issue for this guy, he just wants to win etc and all that bullshit, but you see Crosby making 36 million in his first 3 years and this guy asking for 12 million upfront just shows its all bullshit. They are still human and will ask for every cent there is. Funny how much shit this media gives russian players for going to KHL and just say shit about this.

Cagey

Banned
No, with Parise and Suter, it's not about the "money" because the money is basically the same everywhere.

It's easy for them to be in a position where money isn't important because they've got five or six comparable uber-rich deals to choose from.

Not the same for some middling UFA who hopes to get $2.5m/yr and then a team blows him away with $3.5m/yr.

Acid08

Banned
The Flames desperately need to make a trade. Their roster is too large, especially at LW.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Leland Irving ($0.660m)
------

6 LW, 5 C, and only 3 RW. They also have 8 D and 3 Goalies.

That isn't even counting Roman Horak (RW) or Greg Nemisz (C). who I'm now assuming will both start the season in Abby despite playing significant roles on the big club last season.

I'm thinking Feaster will attempt to move Matt Stajan, Anton Babchuk, Henrik Karlsson and he SHOULD try to move Tim Jackman, but he won't. >.<
We need some LW's, Glencross would be nice.

Cake Boss

Banned

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Leland Irving ($0.660m)
------

Holy mediocre batman.

Parise and Suter can afford to be patient. They know the teams that want them will wait since they're the best options out there right now. Howson can wait with Nash since he's not holding out. Same with Murray and Ryan.

Everyone has a choice but they're waiting for someone to go first.

CREMSteve

Hudler's gonna rack them points big time playing with Stajan and Stempniak :lol

Just as good as Zetterberg and Filppula

The names are slotted by position/salary on capgeek. I would think the lines would look more along the lines of:

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Baertschi - Cervenka - Hudler
Glencross - Backlund - Stempniak
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

Jay Bouwmeester / Mark Giordano
Derek Smith / Dennis Wideman
Cory Sarich / T.J. Brodie

That looks relatively solid, to me. But like I said, I don't think Feaster is done yet.

cube444

The names are slotted by position/salary on capgeek. I would think the lines would look more along the lines of:

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Baertschi - Cervenka - Hudler
Glencross - Backlund - Stempniak
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

That looks relatively solid, to me. But like I said, I don't think Feaster is done yet.

No way that roster is playoff calibre. Feaster better not be done.

CREMSteve

If Cervenka is as advertised, that's a solid top 6. If not, that's a mighty big mozza ball floating out there.

All hinges on a guy I've never seen play, which worries me immensely.

Solo

Keep in mind too that Cammy is kinda done. Both his knees are shot. Lost his quickness, and with it, his ability to be a shifty, evasive player like he used to be.

Umm no, their center depth is atrocious, their D is horrible aside from the 1st pairing, their 2 best players are 35+, how much in the tank do they have.

They missed the playoffs by 5 points last year. They have also added some pieces through FA. I dont see how anyone can say no way.

CREMSteve

If Cervenka is as advertised, that's a solid top 6. If not, that's a mighty big mozza ball floating out there.

All hinges on a guy I've never seen play, which worries me immensely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQ5xtYpqpo

This makes me feel a bit better. :p

Seems to have a good shot, goes to the front of the net with vigor, and has a good set of wheels on him. Between he, Baertschi, Wideman and Hudler, the Flames should definitely be more fun to watch this year.

Cake Boss

Banned
If their goalie has a great year I could definitely see them grabbing a playoff spot.

He had to have his 2nd best year of his career to even get close to the playoffs with 2.35GAA .921SV%

Olli Jokinen > Hudler.

Wideman is a 30 point guy while being shit defensively.

I love how the flames have a player that never played a single NHL game penned as their second center. Behind a guy who's not really a center at all.

Shocked they let Olli go:

olli_jokinen_big_mac_by_b_mint1994-d4oku44.gif

CREMSteve

Umm no, their center depth is atrocious, their D is horrible aside from the 1st pairing, their 2 best players are 35+, how much in the tank do they have.

They've gotten progressively younger in this offseason, in both top 6 forwards and top 4 D.

Out
Jokinen is 33.
Hannan is 33.
Ivanans is 33.
Karlsson is 28.
Kostopolous is 33.
Moss is 30.

In
Baertschi is 19.
Hudler is 28.
Cervenka is 26.
Wideman is 29.
Irving is 24.

Fei

No Chris Butler? I think I saw he was playing 20-22 minutes last year. Was wondering how he's done in Calgary.. take that as not so hot.

<3 Regehr

CREMSteve

No Chris Butler? I think I saw he was playing 20-22 minutes last year. Was wondering how he's done in Calgary.. take that as not so hot.

<3 Regehr

I didn't include him because I'm not a fan. He will most likely be on the opening day roster though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That's the end of that.
I don't know how other teams do it, but I know in Montreal's development camp they hand out numbers without any real thought. Galchenyuk has been wearing #27 which is Bourque's number, and another prospect was wearing Desharnais' number.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not really. Dev camp #s don't mean shit. Galchenyuk wore 27 and some else wore 51 at Habs' D camp, and the Habs aren't trading Desharnais and can't find someone dumb enough to take Bourque.

EDIT: fuck off, Red :lol
:lol basically copy and paste

Cake Boss

Banned
Would love him back on the Sharks to replace Handzus. Sucks he'll never get past the idiots with the donuts comments(^ ahem), he's a super crafty player.

This. he was money for Jets last season, I remember he was leading the team in points in the first 25 games with 21 points.

Wouldn't mind giving him a contract, could replace Foligno's production we lost and is a bit more consistent while playing less minutes, also 54% on the faceoffs could replace what we lost with Konopka.

Wouldn't mind giving him a contract, could replace Foligno's production we lost and is a bit more consistent while playing less minutes, also 54% on the faceoffs could replace what we lost with Konopka.

Latendresse will probably replace a good chunk of Foligno's production, the rest by a rookie most likely Silf.

Really don't know why fans keep drooling over our prospects on HFB but then want to sign every damn FA forward and prevent anyone from ever making the team.

Cake Boss

Banned
Latendresse will probably replace a good chunk of Foligno's production, the rest by a rookie most likely Silf.

Really don't know why fans keep drooling over our prospects on HFB but then want to sign every damn FA forward and prevent anyone from ever making the team.

Because Latendresse has played 25 games in TOTAL in the last 2 seasons.

fallout

Surprised Kyle Wellwood hasnt signed yet, 47 points and 18 goals mostly on the 3rd line.
I imagine there's some reservation on him as he still could still flub. I seem to recall him doing well in TO, but then falling off.

That said, he was putting up points on ANY line that Noel threw the guy on near the beginning of the season.

Aaron Portzline said:
@Aportzline: Told there are lots of ways #NYR could get this done w/o Kreider, Stepan or McDonagh. As noted, McDonagh does not make sense as centerpiece.

Darren Dreger said:
@DarrenDreger: @Aportzline. CBJ should let the NYR know that. Multiple scenarios have been pitched by NY and turned away.

What a fiasco

Top Bottom