• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

SpacLock

So now they are probably going to sign in Minny, screw that team and screw them if that happens.

Whatever, makes sense. Detroit and Minnesota were the only two to send a mob to each of their homes today, so I seems like they've narrowed it down to two, probably three teams including Pittsburg for Parise. They're wondering if they should take the bonus cash to play on a shitty team close to home, or if they should go to the best team in the universe for less.

cube444

So, which team has enough cash to pay both these guys 80-100 million each? If they do come as a package deal for ridiculous salaries, I hope their team sinks. Each guy is really worth 6-7 million, tops.

Any team that's in it could make room for them. He also mentioned that Paul Martin called him to sell him on the Pens. :lol

"Hey, hope you sign here and they dump me to make room for Suter."

Alucard

Banned
Any team that's in it could make room for them. He also mentioned that Paul Martin called him to sell him on the Pens. :lol

"Hey, hope you sign here and they dump me to make room for Suter."

Paul "the martyr" Martin to sacrifice himself for the good of the Penguins?!

Parise to Pittsburgh, and Suter to Detroit seems to make the most sense. That's why they'll both sign with Minnesota?

As for Parise saying "it would be great" to play with Suter, how about playing with last year's Hart and Art Ross winner, and the "best player in the world"? How cool is that, Zachary?

Cake Boss

Banned
"@MikeColligan: According to a source close to the situation, #NHL has lent the #Devils at least $20m but is giving ownership leeway to come to a solution"

Just move them.

When a team has trouble selling tickets in the 3rd round of the playoffs against their rival then your in trouble.

E-DuB

or if they should go to the best team in the universe for less.
"Not two, not three, not four, not five..."
I'm sorry it had to be done. However, I think that they will sign in different places ultimately. Suter will end up in like Philly or Detroit and there's a part of me that thinks that Parise will end up back in the swamp for less or Pit.

Alucard

Banned
"@MikeColligan: According to a source close to the situation, #NHL has lent the #Devils at least $20m but is giving ownership leeway to come to a solution"

Just move them.

When a team has trouble selling tickets in the 3rd round of the playoffs then your in trouble

Probably guilt trip city coming from Lou on this one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Paul "the martyr" Martin to sacrifice himself for the good of the Penguins?!

Parise to Pittsburgh, and Suter to Detroit seems to make the most sense. That's why they'll both sign with Minnesota?

As for Parise saying "it would be great" to play with Suter, how about playing with last year's Hart and Art Ross winner, and the "best player in the world"? How cool is that, Zachary?

I'm still puzzled as to how you keep saying Parise to Pittsburgh "makes the most sense."

Parise wants to be "the guy" in the city he plays hockey in. The only city that will work in that is still in the running is Minnesota.

Alucard

Banned
"Not two, not three, not four, not five..."
I'm sorry it had to be done. However, I think that they will sign in different places ultimately. Suter will end up in like Philly or Detroit and there's a part of me that thinks that Parise will end up back in the swamp for less or Pit.

Pens will be winning 6-4 hockey games every night next season!

Alucard

Banned
I'm still puzzled as to how you keep saying Parise to Pittsburgh "makes the most sense."

Parise wants to be "the guy" in the city he plays hockey in. The only city that will work in that is still in the running is Minnesota.

I thought Parise wanted a Stanley Cup. He's never going to get that in Minnesota.

SpacLock

He would be "the guy" in Detroit. As much as Detroit loves Zetterberg and Datsyuk, they'd just play-make Parise straight to the top.

He could come to Detroit for a cup too, but without Suter I don't see that happening. If he goes to Pittsburgh he'd have a better chance.

cube444

Michael Russo @russostrib
Zach Parise said he'd spend the fourth on his pontoon. In about 2 days, my guess is he will buy a $12 million yacht

Parise tells @joshrimerhockey Suter and he have been talking, and I know for a fact they plan to speak tonight”

:lol This won't end until Thursday or Friday.

He would be "the guy" in Detroit. As much as Detroit loves Zetterberg and Datsyuk, they'd just play-make Parise straight to the top.

He could come to Detroit for a cup too, but without Suter I don't see that happening. If he goes to Pittsburgh he'd have a better chance.

Parise would be the goal scorer guy for sure if he signed, he could take passes from Datsyuk and Zetterberg all day.

Cake Boss

Banned
Would love it but I just don't think it is going to happen and I'm starting to think we don't even get Suter, what makes you say that?

If they both go to Pitts then it would look like a MiamiHeat situation where that would become the most hated team in the league with Crosby and crew. I think both players care about their reputation and especially Parise on how he hates the media attention this is getting.

Minnisota probably cant afford both and they want
to win now.

Philly- No one knows what they are doing.

Detroit- Respected humble franchise with room and a chance to win now.

This is just if both decide they want to play together.

E-DuB

I don't care how legit, it gives me hope!

13 year, say 8 mil avg., 10 in the first two, $104 total....still think it's not right for him.

EDIT: in terms of money; I never thought that Ryan Suter would be able to command that type of money. I always saw Weber as the more dynamic and better player of the pairing.

cube444

13 year, say 8 mil avg., 10 in the first two, $104 total....still think it's not right for him.

EDIT: in terms of money; I never thought that Ryan Suter would be able to command that type of money. I always saw Weber as the more dynamic and better player of the pairing.

I think the average would be lower due to the 13 years.

I'd say $7-7.5M per season. ($91-97.5M total)

Just move them.

When a team has trouble selling tickets in the 3rd round of the playoffs against their rival then your in trouble.

Hey, hey, hey now. The Senators were bankrupt at one point D:

Cake Boss

Banned
Hey, hey, hey now. The Senators were bankrupt at one point D:

Yeah from not because we werent selling tickets in the 3rd round of the playoffs but from not paying overdue bills to investors who were owed money to build a franchise that was 9 years old between the 2 biggest markets in hockey.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't care how legit, it gives me hope!

Noooooooooo...absolute insanity. Holland is screwing this team royally in the future.

Still don't believe it til more legit source confirms.

Yeah from not because we werent selling tickets in the 3rd round of the playoffs but from not paying overdue bills to investors who were owed money to build a franchise that was 9 years old between the 2 biggest markets in hockey.

Don't forget the nasty exchange rate at the time, the NHL now covers the difference.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
‏@georgemalik

PG version: @HockeyyInsiderr has no credentials and is only re-posting information others have stated. NO credibility.

Although Twitter is probably the premiere way to get NHL news, there are a couple people who deal in baseless speculation, rather than reliable information. Here are some Twitter sources you shouldn't cite/believe:

@Eklund
@HockeyyInsiderr
@NHLSourcesSay
@NHL_Trade
@NHLTheInsider
@hchockeytalk
@The_Creasy

Proceed With Caution:
@RobRossi_Trib
@andystrickland

Revenant

Posted by ForzaItalia in the Parise thread on HFboards... Think its legit guys :lol

Originally Posted by rynryn
good god with the pissing matches here.

btw Russo was just on a radio show and said he now thinks Parise signing with Minny is contingent on Suter's signing here, when it was the opposite before. I'm more confused than i was an hour ago.

Wow. So maybe this guy is connected from earlier in the day?:

Quote:
Manics@ManicsFromGAF
"@ManicsFromGAF: Dammit. Hearing that Parise is set for Minny but the hang up is Suter wanting Detroit. They’re trying to be a package deal."

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is Minnesota a profitable team? Would they have to dump anything to fit both Suter and Parise?

Minnesota wild is probably one of the more profitable teams in the league behind the big cities.

in terms of hockey player output, it's Southern Ontario, followed by Southern Quebec, followed by Minnesota/Wisconsin. Just to give you an idea of hockey popularity there. (And I hesisitated putting Quebec above that region)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Minnesota should be going after Suter more than Parise if they have any sense. Their D as of right now is garbage...

Gilbert, Tom
Stoner, Clayton
Kampfer, Steven
Scandella, Marco
Prosser, Nate
Spurgeon, Jared

Minnesota should be going after Suter more than Parise if they have any sense. Their D as of right now is garbage...

Gilbert, Tom
Stoner, Clayton
Kampfer, Steven
Scandella, Marco
Prosser, Nate
Spurgeon, Jared

All the more reason for Suter to come here. To me though it does seem like Suter wants Detroit but Parise wants him to go to Minny with him, it does sound rather plausible with all of the Suter talk to Detroit going around and then all of a sudden a freeze on any signing.

Tabris

FYI, here are some of the 10+ year contracts:

1. Rick Dipietro Islanders 15 $67.5 $4.5 24
2. Ilya Kovalchuk Devils 15 $100 $6.67 27
3. Alexander Ovechkin Capitals 13 $123.5 $9.5 22
4. Mike Richards Flyers 12 $69 $5.7 22
5. Henrik Zetterberg Red Wings 12 $73 $6.0 28
6. Marian Hossa Blackhawks 12 $62.4 $5.2 30
7. Roberto Luongo Canucks 12 $64 $5.3 30
8. Duncan Keith Blackhawks 12 $66 $5.5 26
9. Johan Franzen Red Wings 11 $43 $3.9 29
10. Vincent Lecavalier Lightning 11 $84.7 $7.7 27
11. Jeff Carter Flyers 11 $58 $5.27 25

12. Nicklas Backstrom Capitals 10 $67 $6.7 22
13. Alexei Yashin Islanders 10 $87.5 N/A* 27

When will people learn that the 10+ year contract usually ends up as a disaster. Some of those contracts above will start to get worse and worse as the years go by.

Now the only hope for the 10+ year contracts that are front-loaded is to not have a NTC and trade them to salary floor teams when their salaries are much lower but their cap hits are higher.

Alucard

Banned
i heard 13 years, 90 million. its july 4th now, so they can go ahead and announce it #america

Zach Parise: hockey player, American hero, patriot, and Pittsburgh Penguin.

Slurmer, whaaaaaat. Does this mean Parise will follow? Does Suter also have Minny ties ala Parise?

FYI, here are some of the 10+ year contracts:

1. Rick Dipietro Islanders 15 $67.5 $4.5 24
2. Ilya Kovalchuk Devils 15 $100 $6.67 27
3. Alexander Ovechkin Capitals 13 $123.5 $9.5 22
4. Mike Richards Flyers 12 $69 $5.7 22
5. Henrik Zetterberg Red Wings 12 $73 $6.0 28
6. Marian Hossa Blackhawks 12 $62.4 $5.2 30
7. Roberto Luongo Canucks 12 $64 $5.3 30
8. Duncan Keith Blackhawks 12 $66 $5.5 26
9. Johan Franzen Red Wings 11 $43 $3.9 29
10. Vincent Lecavalier Lightning 11 $84.7 $7.7 27
11. Jeff Carter Flyers 11 $58 $5.27 25

12. Nicklas Backstrom Capitals 10 $67 $6.7 22
13. Alexei Yashin Islanders 10 $87.5 N/A* 27

When will people learn that the 10+ year contract usually ends up as a disaster. Some of those contracts above will start to get worse and worse as the years go by.

Now the only hope for the 10+ year contracts that are front-loaded is to not have a NTC and trade them to salary floor teams when their salaries are much lower but their cap hits are higher.

A lot of those don't look horrible, especially when you consider they were big hits at that time and are calculated to decrease in percentage of cap space over the course of the contract.

Everyone here seems to love to hate on these contracts. I think they make a lot of sense for the big market teams, particularly when they don't include a NMC.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I hope Suter does go to the Wild. I am at the point where I just want this to be over.

I think this is the first time I'm actually glad the Canucks have no cap space at all, I'm not emotionally involved in this AT ALL.

Alucard

Banned
I'm just curious what this means for Parise...really hope he ends up a Pen. Him and Crosby for 10 years? I'll take that all day, right up until they're bumped down to the second line in 5-6 seasons!

Top Bottom