• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Tabris

A lot of those don't look horrible, especially when you consider they were big hits at that time and are calculated to decrease in percentage of cap space over the course of the contract.

Everyone here seems to love to hate on these contracts. I think they make a lot of sense for the big market teams, particularly when they don't include a NMC.

Well speaking of a Vancouver fan where we can't trade Luongo for his actual worth as a player because of his long-term contract, I have to say they are pretty crappy.

These long term contracts are a new deal over this last CBA and you will see it get worse and worse. I'm hoping new CBA caps contracts at 7 years.

Well speaking of a Vancouver fan where we can't trade Luongo for his actual worth as a player because of his long-term contract, I have to say they are pretty crappy.

These long term contracts are a new deal over this last CBA and you will see it get worse and worse.

You trading Luongo has nothing to do with his contract. It's because he gets the shaft for the team underperforming. He's still paid fair market value for what he's produced. None of those players look particularly overpaid to me in the amount of cap space they take up. Many would get a significantly higher hit if they hit the market today, and by the time their value starts to dip the cap will have raised so much that their cap hits will not be extreme for what they bring to the table. On top of that the players who sign them before they reach 35 get removed from the books when they retire so there's not a whole lot of risk because the players getting these mega deals are not the types to take a complete nosedive in productivity, rather just slump to a point where they are overpaid, but not useless. Gomez being the exception that proves the rule.....

Tabris

The salary cap is fine right now, but it's not fine when they retire or are no longer to keep up their play and it's still on your books.

You'll see it get really bad for some of these teams in a couple more years.

Tabris

Minnesota was deadly before they had a bunch of injuries happen last year. Suter+Parise added to that. A player like Parise may be able to bring the game back to Dany Heatley. I don't like that. I want NW to be dominated and want our 3rd president's trophy!

Marvie_3

Banned
"@MikeColligan: According to a source close to the situation, #NHL has lent the #Devils at least $20m but is giving ownership leeway to come to a solution"

Just move them.

When a team has trouble selling tickets in the 3rd round of the playoffs against their rival then your in trouble.
Been reading yankeehater's newsletter again?

New Jersey Devils Release Conference Finals Tickets; Sell Out in Minutes

The New Jersey Devils do not have an opponent for the Eastern Conference Finals just yet, but that didn’t stop them from selling out their home games in under 10-minutes.

New Jersey has often been the butt of countless jokes because of less than stellar numbers at the gate even in the playoffs. However this postseason has been the complete opposite. Fans have been turning out in droves to support the Devils as they drive towards the fourth Stanley Cup in club history.

The Devils have sold out all five of their home games through the first two rounds. This is great news for the cash-strapped franchise that is desperate for the additional revenue the playoffs generate. New Jersey has been dealing with financial issues for quite some time and were hurt by not making the playoffs last season. Advancing to the third round can only help that situation to get better.

Detroit didn't sell out some playoff games a few years ago. Should we move them too? It happens to a lot of teams. Shut the fuck up about moving the Devils already. It's not happening.

Marvie_3

Banned
Minnesota are deadly in the sense that if you aren't careful, you'll accidentally fall asleep watching them play.
They aren't as bad as they used to be and they've got some good young players that will make them a lot more fun to watch in the next few years. Signing Parise and Suter as a package deal will help too.

cube444

If that Suter to Wild rumour is actually true, then you have to figure Parise is going there too. There's no way Suter signs in Minnesota by himself.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ken Holland will freak out if true. Get ready to see some mediocre defensemen greatly overpaid if true.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him try and trade for a decent defenseman, too.

Edit: Why I put "if true" twice is beyond me. It's early.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think it would be good for the league for both to go play together in Minnesota. That's a fantastic hockey market and it would be nice to see them relevant again.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Minny's owner also used to own the Preds, so there's that connection too. Wild and Wings were pretty much the top 2 teams heading into this whole thing.

Ken Holland will freak out if true. Get ready to see some mediocre defensemen greatly overpaid if true.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him try and trade for a decent defenseman, too.

Edit: Why I put "if true" twice is beyond me. It's early.

The Wings will trade for Andrei Markov if this happens. Book it. (Yes, he is kinda available)

Plinko

I actually look forward to seeing how desperate Holland is if/when Suter/Parise don't sign with Detroit.

I expect a major trade and 100% guarantee Semin signing in Detroit.

Alucard

Banned
Suter and Parise are like that first slightly more difficult stool you sometimes have to pass on the toilet before the rest coming easily.

Today...free agent!! (Said in a shout)...FRENZY. (Said in a whisper)

Man, both guys going to Minny would probably be good for league parity overall, but I really want Parise in Pittsburgh after all of this crap. The end to this might feel worse than the end of #jagrwatch for Pens fans. And maybe even #Hossawatch.

Alucard

Banned
I actually look forward to seeing how desperate Holland is if/when Suter/Parise don't sign with Detroit.

"We didn't get our defensive anchor! All in on...Semin?! Fuck! Still don't have that defensive anchor!"

They already said they are going after Doan and not Semin if they don't get Parise....

Also you guys don't realize how angry I am right now after that tweet... I hold out hope that it isn't true but something is telling me we are about to be royally screwed.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Suter and Parise are like that first slightly more difficult stool you sometimes have to pass on the toilet before the rest coming easily.

Today...free agent!! (Said in a shout)...FRENZY. (Said in a whisper)

Man, both guys going to Minny would probably be good for league parity overall, but I really want Parise in Pittsburgh after all of this crap. The end to this might feel worse than the end of #jagrwatch for Pens fans. And maybe even #Hossawatch.

Why would you not want the guy that would help your team's most concerning weakness? I would think Pittsburgh is tired of early playoff exits by now. I'm waiting for the year my team makes it to the third round.

Plinko

"We didn't get our defensive anchor! All in on...Semin?! Fuck! Still don't have that defensive anchor!"

Pens fans' reading comprehension strikes again.

The mention of the trade was for losing out on Suter and the mention of Semin was for losing out on Parise.

Alucard

Banned
They already said they are going after Doan and not Semin if they don't get Parise....

Also you guys don't realize how angry I am right now after that tweet... I hold out hope that it isn't true but something is telling me we are about to be royally screwed.

"Parisuter'd" will be the new "punk'd" once they both sign for the Wild.

Plinko, sorry man. Didn't seem clear.

Saza, what do you mean? Didn't see the connection between my post and yours about addressing weaknesses.
p

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
You said you want Parise when I think Suter would be the better fit for Pittsburgh. If any team had the opportunity to take one of them I'm sure they would as long as it wasn't a ridiculous contract.

Marvie_3

Banned

Maybe if you let go of that sense of entitlement you have, you wouldn't get pissed off.

Plinko

I'd much rather have a younger, more skilled player who I think would be more motivated in Detroit under Babcock. Doan would be nice but I've heard zero things about him having any interest in coming to Detroit.

You said you want Parise when I think Suter would be the better fit for Pittsburgh.

Agreed.

Maybe if you let go of that sense of entitlement you have, you wouldn't get pissed off.

Agreed.

I like Suter and think he's good, but I think he's nowhere near worth that contract money. I'd much, much rather give that contract to a guy like Weber, which won't happen because he probably re-signs in Nashville.

Considering rumors had Suter wanting to play in Detroit including talk to Datsyuk on what it was like to play in Detroit early in the year and then boom this, more of a "caught me off guard and I can't believe it after all that sense". Parise I don't nearly care as much about, he can go where ever, but seeing as how Lidstrom retired, yeah pretty sure we need a new 1A D-man. So screw you.

Plinko

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Holland's first move after losing out on Suter is to instantly call Lidstrom and beg him to come back.

Marvie_3

Banned
Considering rumors had Suter wanting to play in Detroit including talk to Datsyuk on what it was like to play in Detroit early in the year and then boom this, more of a "caught me off guard and I can't believe it after all that sense". Parise I don't nearly care as much about, he can go where ever, but seeing as how Lidstrom retired, yeah pretty sure we need a new 1A D-man. So screw you.

So you're butthurt that a bunch of dumb rumors might not be true. Got it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
There are rumors about top free agents wanting to play everywhere. If Detroit doesn't get him it is no one's fault but their own. The team waited until the last moment to try and replace Lidstrom.

I have never seen Parise's fiancee......meanwhile, I've seen all of Modano's wife.

zp-1.jpeg

There are rumors about top free agents wanting to play everywhere. If Detroit doesn't get him it is no one's fault but their own. The team waited until the last moment to try and replace Lidstrom.

Considering we had no cap space and there weren't many good defensemen on the market, I wouldn't say we waited last minute. Not to mention we have Smith who is our top prospect but he will take a few years to become that 1A/1B defensemen he is projected in being.

lol at Detroit fan whining about not having a 1D anymore

we've been waiting for a 1C for decades, suck it

Well you have one in the draft now for sucking it up last year.

Plinko

There are rumors about top free agents wanting to play everywhere. If Detroit doesn't get him it is no one's fault but their own.

Absolutely true.

sazabirules said:
The team waited until the last moment to try and replace Lidstrom.

Absolutely not true. They've signed guys like Rafalski (retired), Stuart (left), Ian White, locked up Kronwall, developed Smith, etc. There was no "waiting until the last moment" going on here.

Besides, let's be honest--you can't replace Lidstrom.

Plinko

"Told the Hawks are out of the Suter running as he appears headed to Detroit. Awaiting Parise. Failing that, will pursue Doan or perhaps Nash."
-John Jaeckel

Top Bottom