• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Yeah, the Parise deal doesn't SHOCK me. I think it's an overpayment, but not the worst deal I've ever seen.

The Suter deal is scarier, but on Minnesota that is gonna be scary. They could very well be in LA territory in GA next year.

Cagey

Banned
Parise's a great player. He's just not a 13 year contract, 7.5m cap hit when he's 36... with four more years on the deal left player.

And was a Selke nominee. He's the whole package and a first line player on any team except possibly VAN (Parise wouldn't make sense with the Sedins over Burrows most likely)

Suter is more of the unknown as he has been playing with in my opinion, the best d-man of the last couple of years.

I was talking about Pens fans in general. I honestly haven't paid enough attention to you to realize what team you were a fan of. I thought it may have been Tampa Bay or Boston, before.

:lol Ya, Tampa or Boston. Clueless.

Do you really want another lazy player on your team? Team was already playing lazy/below their skill last year, I can semin fitting into that nicely. :/ As long as the term isn't too long it might not be bad though since I think avs still have a shitload of cap.

I mean there isn't a whole lot else on the market that we'd go for. Nash can shove his anchor of a contract and the trade demands. Carle? He has deep Denver roots I guess.

So basically every team in the Atlantic except the Rangers is going to be slightly worse next year? Guess that's really just an adjustment for how loaded the division was last year....

I mean there isn't a whole lot else on the market that we'd go for. Nash can shove his anchor of a contract and the trade demands. Carle? He has deep Denver roots I guess.

Ya, I understand. I think as long as it's a short contract so he's not dead weight later he might not be bad but he probably wants a ridiculous contract now since he's everyone's backup plan now.

Come on Tabris at least say Avs.

He's trying to be like Marvie and failing horribly.

Alucard

Banned
Pens will still be fine. Last season was a mental collapse. They'll be better going in this year. Book it. Shero the hero will make something happen. He probably has plans B, C, D, and E in his back pocket.

Cake Boss

Banned
Parise's a great player. He's just not a 13 year contract, 7.5m cap hit when he's 36... with four more years on the deal left player.

That cap hit will be irrelavant 10 years from now, seeing how player's salary has grown since 2006, their caphit will probably be close to an average player.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Pens will still be fine. Last season was a mental collapse. They'll be better going in this year. Book it. Shero the hero will make something happen. He probably has plans B, C, D, and E in his back pocket.

Let's hope so. I'm kind of bummed Sully is gone now too. Really liked that guy, and he was pretty good on the PP.

So basically every team in the Atlantic except the Rangers is going to be slightly worse next year? Guess that's really just an adjustment for how loaded the division was last year....

I think Scheen for JVR could make the Flyers better, plus Bryz has to be better and as much as I hate Leighton he has to be an improvement over Bob. The Flyers got so little from JVR that anything from Scheen will be an improvement. Flyers will be better this year for sure, I am just not sure it will be enough to make a difference. Once they trade Read and Voracek to the Ducks for Ryan they will be much better.

Fei

That cap hit will be irrelavant 10 years from now, seeing how player's salary has grown since 2006, their caphit will probably be close to an average player.

Not to mention that Parise will likely retire at 36-37, leaving no cap hit behind for the final 3-4 years.

I'm worried Philly is going to do something stupid now

And you should be. Duck and cover.

Just resign Voracek and make a decent offer to Doan. Offer Carle a fair contract. I'd personally offer 5 for 4 years. Let him walk if he doesn't want it.

Not to mention that Parise will likely retire at 36-37, leaving no cap hit behind for the final 3-4 years.

This is why I keep saying these contracts actually make a lot of sense for that 5% of players in the league that you are certain will at least always be pretty good as long as they are healthy. LTIR and retirement solve the biggest risks.

13 years, $98 mil each for Suter and Parise? Jesus Christ, Minnesota. Preds offer was $90 million too according to Twitter..

well, at least they're in the West

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Has Weber said anything about resigning? I want Homer to sign him to an offer sheet so bad but they never do that in the NHL.

they were waiting on the suter negotiations to end. preds have said they'd match any offer sheet, so weber won't accept one if he really wants out of nashville. if weber won't sign for more than next year, he's on the block and he better be gone before opening night

bardia

Only a few more years till we bomb for a #1 draft pick 3x in a row, unless calgary beats us to it. NW division may actually not be a joke soon.

Tabris

Only a few more years till we bomb for a #1 draft pick 3x in a row, unless calgary beats us to it. NW division may actually not be a joke soon.

1) Sedins will be golden until their late 30's for 80+ points a season, up to probabaly 38, they are rarely injured and their game isn't dependent on speed. It's about hockey sense and finesse.

2) Kesler is just entering his prime and once he has these injury issues dealt with this season, he will be amazing for the next 5 years.

3) We don't have that many long-term contracts once we get rid of Luongo and it's all staggered nicely.

Stop falling into that cynical Vancouver fan trap. Be positive!

Solo

1) Sedins will be golden until their late 30's for 80+ points a season, up to probabaly 38

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

Minny had such a shitty lineup last year. They have good kids, yeah, but you gotta believe those signings don't make them a contender...

I have Parise in one of my keepers, and I'm now considering trading him. He just went to the worst offensive team in the league.

cube444

Pens are already weaker than last season. Any trades they make also means a loss of prospects.

Shero failed and got played by Crosby/Parise.

Top Bottom