• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Stubo

He was always going to deserve a big contract, which is why I was confused/frustrated with the situation this time last year, he should just be signed up to a longer term deal on the kind of numbers a guy of his standard should get.

This is no doubt going to be inflated now that Suter's been overpaid since he'll assume (correctly) that he could get more money from other teams in the market for a top line defenceman. I can live with that...

i wouldn't worry about it too much. preds have a solid core and great young prospect pool on d with josi, blum, ekholm and ellis. i imagine josi gets moved into suter's spot. plus this frees up 7.5 million for the preds to make a roster move to bring in a vet d-man and hopefully the top 3 (aka what any other team in the league would consider a top 6) forward they desperately need.

if weber won't re-sign long term, then things get really exciting.
This is exactly the post I needed.

It is a lot of cap space, but it's not as easy to utilise that as it is in soccer. I'd have to assume despite you describing the prospect as 'exciting' that you also want Weber to stay? Regardless of any space gained, it would be next to impossible to bring in as exciting a player with that space.

Also, what's the latest on the Preds becoming a 'cap team', I read an interview quoting that earlier in the year but don't really keep up with these things.

Cake Boss

Banned
Exactly my feelings about this. Will be looking forward to competition in the northwest from
Minny now and Colorado soon... Sorry Flames/Oilers.

Fixed.

Oilers arent suddenly going to be better defensivly because they signed some college kid who never played a pro game in his life and as seen as a
offensive dman.

Colorado with a healthy duschene, an added PA Paranteau, a full year of Downie and Carkner is a better team than Oils

Fixed.

Oilers arent suddenly going to be better defensivly because they signed some college kid who never played a pro game in his life and as seen as a
offensive dman.

Colorado with a healthy duschene, an added PA Paranteau, a full year of Downie and Carkner is a better team than Oils

Carkner went to the Islanders, and a guy who plays a few minutes a game and is a scratch most of the year doesn't really make a team better.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
It is a lot of cap space, but it's not as easy to utilise that as it is in soccer. I'd have to assume despite you describing the prospect as 'exciting' that you also want Weber to stay? Regardless of any space gained, it would be next to impossible to bring in as exciting a player with that space.

Also, what's the latest on the Preds becoming a 'cap team', I read an interview quoting that earlier in the year but don't really keep up with these things.

preds still have like 20% outstanding shares caught up in the del biaggio fiasco. once they can get that settled and have a minority owner buy in, they can look at being a cap team. i dont think it'll happen until they know the implications of the new CBA and revenue sharing going forward, so im not expecting them to be a cap team anytime soon.

yea, i'd prefer to re-sign weber, but if he won't sign for more than a year (which would indicate he wants out of nashville anyway) i'm really curious at the substantial return he could bring (vet d-man + top forward prospect + draft picks), especially from a team like edmonton, so i don't really consider that a nightmare scenario either.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just saw the news about Parise/Suter.

SO HAPPY. Those contracts would have destroyed Detroit for years.

Can't wait to see the most overrated GM in sports overpay for guys like Semin and Carle out of desperation.

Stubo

preds still have like 20% outstanding shares caught up in the del biaggio fiasco. once they can get that settled and have a minority owner buy in, they can look at being a cap team. i dont think it'll happen until they know the implications of the new CBA and revenue sharing going forward, so im not expecting them to be a cap team anytime soon.

yea, i'd prefer to re-sign weber, but if he won't sign for more than a year (which would indicate he wants out of nashville anyway) i'm really curious at the substantial return he could bring (vet d-man + top forward prospect + draft picks), especially from a team like edmonton, so i don't really consider that a nightmare scenario either.
While this is true, there's no telling who Weber would choose to move to, and they could be a team deprived of the prospects you'd be willing to snap up, right? Shouldn't be long until everything becomes clear anyway.

I'm confident in the organisation to make the most of whatever hand is dealt to them in all of this, from what I've seen in my relatively short time watching the Preds there's been excellent return from comparatively modest assets.

Oh, and thanks for the information on the shares and ownership, that seems reasonably hopeful for the future.

Curufinwe

I don't know if it's true, but I enjoy all the Flyers fans congratulating Holmgren for driving the price of Parise and Suter up so high that Pittsburgh couldn't afford them.

Just saw the news about Parise/Suter.

SO HAPPY. Those contracts would have destroyed Detroit for years.

Can't wait to see the most overrated GM in sports overpay for guys like Semin and Carle out of desperation.

......... Absolutely pathetic, I'm kinda glad we didn't get Parise but to say that about Suter? Come on, look what you are saying, we needed a new 1D and now that is gone, our D now is completely lacking and having one of those contracts would not have been bad at all. Of course now Holland is over rated I see and what not. Considering Suter was probably going to sign in Detroit if it wasn't for Parise wanting them both to sign in Minny, there was really nothing he could have done. Now if Holland doesn't do anything to help this team this offseason and says he is happy with what we have, then I'll agree with you. As of right now though I can't believe what you are even saying, sounds pathetic to me.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Parise & Suter Contracts: $9.78 Million avg. in 1st 9 years. $9.4 avg. over 10 years. $4 Million total during last 3 yrs. $7.54 Total AAV.

beautiful cap circumvention

Tabris

Nice thing is MIN won't be in our division after this upcoming season with realignment. We will be able to beat up shitty teams like ANA and PHX more.

Cake Boss

Banned
Poile: I was looking at all my notes yesterday and Ryan said (in NOV) that he's not going anywhere else. That's a quote. #Preds #NHL #mnwild

LOL when the fuck did NHL GMs become such pussies? Cry moar much. Unless he signed his name to a contract then hes not staying, you would think that of all people the the GMs know this is a business and money speaks. There is no such thing as a verbal agreement, hilarious how it changed so much when the GMs are the one that are getting emotionally attached to their players and not the way around.

Also in November I wanted to get a cat but now I am getting a rabbit. People change their minds.

LOL when the fuck did NHL GMs become such pussies? Cry moar much. Unless he signed his name to a contract then hes not staying, you would think that of all people the the GMs know this is a business and money speaks. There is no such thing as a verbal agreement, hilarious how it changed so much when the GMs are the one that are getting emotionally attached to their players and not the way around.

Also in November I wanted to get a cat but now I am getting a rabbit. People change their minds.

Poile should get fired for saying that shit. Sign the dude.

Cagey

Banned
Parise & Suter Contracts: $9.78 Million avg. in 1st 9 years. $9.4 avg. over 10 years. $4 Million total during last 3 yrs. $7.54 Total AAV.

beautiful cap circumvention

Fuck the Wild, fuck the CBA, and fuck Bettman with Kovalchuk's stick.

The Richards contract last year enraged me too.

Get a cat man.

Really hope this works out for the Wild.

I'm personally a somewhat passive Hockey fan but my mother and the rest of my family are true blue minnesota hockey nuts. They deserve a great team.

Heres hoping they make a great run over the next couple years.

calder

Well, if nothing else it's going to be fucking hilarious is the new CBA closes the long-term contract cap hit loophole as strongly as the NHL says it wants to and the Wild get destroyed by the last few years.

I thought the NHL clamped down on those front-loaded deals with Kovalchuk, or did they only stop the ridiculous length (signed until around 45)?

Solo

Fixing the problem can be done in one easy step: what the player makes for the year = his cap hit for the year. Done.

I'd be really surprised if Bergevin doesn't try to get a trade going sooner than later to try and make a big splash in his first year.

So either Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash ends up here, and we're overpaying like dumbasses.

Cake Boss

Banned
Parise's contract is front-loaded: $12M, 12M, 11M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 8M, 6M, 2M, 1M, 1M"

Holy shiot

Yeah its not about the money for these guys, yeah like the Devils could afford to give 25M in first 3 years. Yeah it was about "going home " lol if anyone still believes that shit.

calder

I thought the NHL clamped down on those front-loaded deals with Kovalchuk, or did they only stop the ridiulous length (signed until around 45)?

They tried to clamp down a bit by rejecting the Kovalchuk contract initially, but until the CBA is changed they can't really do anything about deals that are at least theoretically plausible. Kovalchuk's contract was so absurd the league was able to take it to an arbitrator and have it dismissed, but really that just set a benchmark for GM's to not go past. "Ok, 17 years may be a bit hard to believe..." ;)

The NHL has been saying since that they want to properly close the cap loophole on very long deals more comprehensively, and they've also said numerous times that teams with big front loaded contracts may get punished for them under the new CBA, they don't want there to be any amnesty or anything (although no matter what there may likely be a mechanism to fix deals if they really are penalties for existing contracts) but that could just be posturing to make teams less likely to circumvent the cap until the next CBA when they prevent it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
......... Absolutely pathetic, I'm kinda glad we didn't get Parise but to say that about Suter? Come on, look what you are saying, we needed a new 1D and now that is gone, our D now is completely lacking and having one of those contracts would not have been bad at all. Of course now Holland is over rated I see and what not. Considering Suter was probably going to sign in Detroit if it wasn't for Parise wanting them both to sign in Minny, there was really nothing he could have done. Now if Holland doesn't do anything to help this team this offseason and says he is happy with what we have, then I'll agree with you. As of right now though I can't believe what you are even saying, sounds pathetic to me.

Hey--we'll agree to disagree.

It would be nice to have Suter but that contract is ridiculous. Sorry--it just is. Yeah, we'll suck on defense this year. Yeah, we sucked last year even with Lidstrom and Stuart. Smith will be up full time and I wouldn't be shocked to see them overpay for someone like Carle.

As for Holland, I don't have the same respect for him that others do. It was so easy to be called the best GM in the league when you're the only one that could throw 5-6-7 million dollars around like it was nothing when nobody else could. When the salary cap era started, that tailed off and we just haven't seen that ability to get the players here that we need. I give him credit for getting Rafalski here early on but what about since then? How about that ridiculous Franzen contract albatross? How about sticking with guys like Holmstrom/Draper/Maltby when they probably should have cut them loose?

I don't think he's that great of a GM--at least not anywhere near worthy of the credit many give him.

LET THE HOLLAND OVERPAYING FOR SEMIN IN DETROIT COUNTDOWN BEGIN!

I give it until the end of tomorrow. $7 million per season.

Plinko

Parise's contract is front-loaded: $12M, 12M, 11M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 8M, 6M, 2M, 1M, 1M"

Holy shiot

Yeah its not about the money for these guys, yeah like the Devils could afford to give 25M in first 3 years. Yeah it was about "going home " lol if anyone still believes that shit.

Didn't Hossa's contract get revoked because of this at one point?

Edit: Nevermind, that was Kovalchuk's.

I thought they had rules in place that took care of this.

Solo

With that kind of cap circumventing BS allowed, why even bother with a cap at all? Rich teams STILL have the deck stacked way in their favor.

Didn't Hossa's contract get revoked because of this at one point?

Edit: Nevermind, that was Kovalchuk's.

I thought they had rules in place that took care of this.

The "Kovalchuk rule" only applies to contracts that go past age 40.

http://capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-Ilya-Kovalchuk-rule.php

With that kind of cap circumventing BS allowed, why even bother with a cap at all? Rich teams STILL have the deck stacked way in their favor.

Next CBA will take care of that, they never thought of this during the last lockout.

Top Bottom