• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Not really happy to see Minnesota staffing up, but taking on two huge, long-term contracts like that could hamstring them a bit in the future too. Do we know what the cap hit is for each of them, per season?

Tabris

And? I'm not the one making retarded claims about 38 year olds putting up 80 points.

We'll see in 6 years. FYI, Martin St.Louis put up 99 and 74 point seasons the last 2 years at 36 and 37. Teemu Selane put up 80 pts a season ago at 40.

Gomez should still be shitting up the Rangers cap situation...

God damnit Montreal.

sather_g0301.jpg

I lurk this thread since while I love to watch every Devils game and casually keep up with the happenings around the league, my knowledge isn't extensive. I just wanted to say it sucks to see Parise leave but I was expecting it. I'm just glad it was to the western conference and, more so, to play at home. Wish the guy the best and hope he keeps on doing what he helped do with us.

Acid08

Banned
Suter is worth the money but I really don't think Parise should be making that much.

Neither of them is worth the length of contract.

SpacLock

If i ever I see Parise in public I'm gonna run up behind him and pull down his pants. "you signed the wrong contract, mother fucker"

Vman

Hmm they may need to move some bigger contract second and third liners so they have a slightly better roster...do the Wild have any interesting prospects?

Granlund, coyle, Larsson, brodin, dumba, Phillips. Our gm has said if we land these two we can then have the flexibility to trade prospects. My guess is Bouchard a few prospects and a pick for Bobby Ryan. That rumour is straight from the wild.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Cool to see them move to the west and to the Wild. Feel pretty neutral towards Minny, just know they have one of if not the best prospect pools in the league, and now have Dumba coming up to play with Suter. Now lets really get into free agency, and get some trades going.

Backstrom's in his contract year and unless he takes a pay cut (he's mid-30's I believe) the Wild may just roll with Harding and Hackett next year.

SpacLock

Prediction: Rookie if the year - Damien Brunner

You heard it here first.

He's going to catapult Detroit to the finals while carrying Datsyuk on his back. I just hope he shares the puck with Semin and Doan.

The only way I can feel better is if Holland can now somehow maybe get Yandle and sign Semin/Doan or some other top 6 guy. But I know that won't happen.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Granlund, coyle, Larsson, brodin, dumba, Phillips. Our gm has said if we land these two we can then have the flexibility to trade prospects. My guess is Bouchard a few prospects and a pick for Bobby Ryan. That rumour is straight from the wild.

I just had a quick look on capgeek...you guys are set up pretty well. Even after signing these two you're still around 3 million under the cap.

I was hoping another team (Leafs) could poach away some of your prospects by taking on an expensive contract. :(

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The only way I can feel better is if Holland can now somehow maybe get Yandle and sign Semin/Doan or some other top 6 guy. But I know that won't happen.
Whatever he does, he better not sign Carle. That fucker is gonna get (over)PAAAAAID and I do not want some above average D man as the Wings supposed #1 for the next 10 years.

Curufinwe

This is why I keep saying these contracts actually make a lot of sense for that 5% of players in the league that you are certain will at least always be pretty good as long as they are healthy. LTIR and retirement solve the biggest risks.

It's true for teams that have the money to pay tens of millions of dollars to people who don't play like the Flyers have done with Rathje and now Pronger.

I guess Minnesota is in the same kind of comfortable financial situation now and expect to still be like that in the 2020s.

Stubo

I don't venture in here too often outside of playoffs time due to not really having great knowledge of what's going on across the whole league.

I foolishly came in hoping for some sort of comfort that Preds will be ok after losing Suter (and possibly/probably Weber shortly), from others who've been through team rebuilds, but no.

Since I've only been watching hockey for about 4 years (excuse: being English) I've not witnessed this sort of change before. It's always manageable on the video games due to the surprising depth of quality on the free agency, but I struggle to see where the team will be able to add players which suit the system right now.

My simple view is that this will likely cause a fundamental change in the team's tactics going forward, and I'm not sure how to feel about the staff's ability to adjust to this. You guys will probably all be able to offer valuable insight as to why I'm worrying beyond requirement...that, or you'll depress me further - fire away! ;)

Wow, just saw the news. I don't follow hockey as closely as some of my other statesmen do but this definitely seems like a major move for our team. Much bigger splash than any of our other sports teams have had the ability to pull off. Games should be pretty exciting again this year and hopefully the team plays like it did in the early parts of last year and not the absolute trainwreck of the mid-end of the season.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Siesmic shift in the NHL. For some reason I am really happy for Minny. There fans deserve a great team.

Exactly my feelings about this. Will be looking forward to competition in the northwest from
Minny now and Edmonton soon... Sorry Flames/Avs.

I don't venture in here too often outside of playoffs time due to not really having great knowledge of what's going on across the whole league.

I foolishly came in hoping for some sort of comfort that Preds will be ok after losing Suter (and possibly/probably Weber shortly), from others who've been through team rebuilds, but no.

Since I've only been watching hockey for about 4 years (excuse: being English) I've not witnessed this sort of change before. It's always manageable on the video games due to the surprising depth of quality on the free agency, but I struggle to see where the team will be able to add players which suit the system right now.

My simple view is that this will likely cause a fundamental change in the team's tactics going forward, and I'm not sure how to feel about the staff's ability to adjust to this. You guys will probably all be able to offer valuable insight as to why I'm worrying beyond requirement...that, or you'll depress me further - fire away! ;)

that is so fucking cute though

p.s. I think Suter's overrated, and you'll do fine. You've got bunches of d-men coming up the pipes.

Stubo

that is so fucking cute though

+1 for team 'Preds are fucked', then?

Edit: It's more Weber following him out of the door that I'm concerned about, and there's a certain air of inevitability on that front now. If he stays I can live with him and Gill/Klein on the top line D.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

i wouldn't worry about it too much. preds have a solid core and great young prospect pool on d with josi, blum, ekholm and ellis. i imagine josi gets moved into suter's spot. plus this frees up 7.5 million for the preds to make a roster move to bring in a vet d-man and hopefully the top 3 (aka what any other team in the league would consider a top 6) forward they desperately need.

if weber won't re-sign long term, then things get really exciting.

Top Bottom