• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

He doesn't have to hold out. There are other things he could do.

And there are more than 3 teams on his list, and it's been said he could expand it. But Howson is turning away other interested parties with his ludicrous demands. What would it matter if 29 teams where on his list if the demands where insane like they are?

The more teams the more chance someone is willing to make a deal. Maybe the first 28 teams so no way that is to much, and the 29th team says sure lets do this.

@DobberHockey: I'd almost reword Dreger's tweet to say "Columbus is pursuing Jeff Skinner, said to be offering Rick Nash. Carolina needs more"

Exactly. At this point it's more like Howson is going shopping for other team's players instead of trying to trade a guy who requested a trade.

The more teams the more chance someone is willing to make a deal. Maybe the first 28 teams so no way that is to much, and the 29th team says sure lets do this.

I seriously doubt that. I mean Jeff skinner? Equate that high of a price to your own team. No wonder everyone is balking. Nash won't get traded untill the price lowers.
Besides the fact that at the end of the day Howson gave Nash the right to pick where he is traded to. It's never gonna be 29 teams and I'd be surprised if it was any more than at most 15.

Exactly. At this point it's more like Howson is going shopping for other team's players instead of trying to trade a guy who requested a trade.

Howson: "We'll give you Rick Nash, you give us a younger, cheaper player who puts up as many points (if not more) and then give us a couple more players on top of that. I think that's a fair deal no ? "

Translation: I need to fleece you to keep my job

Except that's not the case. He wants out and Howson isn't budging with demands. No one is going to go for the crazy deals he's proposing when they know no one will go that far. He's going to have to be the one that budges.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seriously, the only guys on this team I'd give for Rick Nash are Plekanec/Desharnais, Bourque, Kaberle, Gionta, picks and/or shitty prospects.

And throw in Gomez.

I wouldn't give MaxPac, Gorges, Markov, Subban, Yemelin, Price, Cole, etc. for a guy who's never proven anything.
I agree with this, with the exception of Plekanec. I feel like Gionta will be gone by the trade deadline this season, time to give the C to Gorges imo.

Didnt the Rangers make a really good offer for Nash at the deadline last year? I would think Howsons best bet to get what he wants is for a bidding war at the deadline. If he can get Nash to increase his list and have like 10 teams all vying for the playoffs bidding against each other someone will overpay.

kronwall-white
smith-quincey
ericsson-kindl

9jCZ4.gif

Didnt the Rangers make a really good offer for Nash at the deadline last year? I would think Howsons best bet to get what he wants is for a bidding war at the deadline. If he can get Nash to increase his list and have like 10 teams all vying for the playoffs bidding against each other someone will overpay.

I doubt Howson gets more than what NYR offered at this year's deadline. Teams are desperate but not that desperate.

It's been 6 months now - 6. Parise is signed. Everyone is STILL balking at the price.
Rangers made an offer at the deadline that I believe Dreger said they were dumb for not taking. Teams didn't give in at this deadline, why would they all the way in Feb? So many other players could be available by then.

Red_Man

Is anyone really going to be upset that Detroit doesn't make the playoffs aside from actual Detroit fans? Hard to feel sympathy when they've had a 19-20 year playoff streak going.

Cake Boss

Banned
"He's still in disbelief," Kevin Epp, one of Weber’s agents at Titan Sports Management, told ESPN.com Thursday. "They were so close this year in terms of the team’s chances. They really had a shot. Shea believed there was a good chance that Ryan would stay there. So right now, Shea is still processing this news."

Process that news motherfucka and then demand a trade.

Thats one guy I would give up the farm for over Nash or Ryan.

Solo

That would be dumb. No thank you, Bergevin.

Its the cost to get Ryan, which frankly, I'd pay.

Habs aren't looking to contend for a good 4 years. By then Pleky will be over the hill. And Gorges has lots of heart and intangibles, but heart and intangibles don't net you 30 goals every season. Gorges is replaceable, especially with all our D prospects coming.

Revenant

Habs aren't looking to contend for a good 4 years. By then Pleky will be over the hill. And Gorges has lots of heart and intangibles, but heart and intangibles don't net you 30 goals every season. Gorges is replaceable, especially with all our D prospects coming.

You could give us Plekenac..I mean we already gave you a GM so it seems fair.

Red_Man

I think you underrate both, but it's kinda moot right now, no big profile FA's or big name players in general will come this way for another year or two. Just really hope Bergevin can abuse this desperate need for D and unload Kaberle, who's actually looking like a deal compared to some of these other D that are signing...

Except we already know what his demands are. Again, he's going to have to lower it to ever have a shot. The shit he's asking for now will dismantle a team right before the playoffs which no one will do. It will make them weaker not strong because they'll be scrambling to fill holes.

Edit: Fedotenko is cheap enough that I can't see a problem with the signing. He seems to lose his mojo though if you bounce him around too much from what I remember when he was with the pens.

Cake Boss

Banned
Why the fuck do Philly need a Nash? You were 3rd in the league in terms of scoring but allowed the 2nd worst goals of all playoff teams.

Top Bottom