• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Clydefrog

oh god I just watched Goon

sean william scott was hilarious

HJYUD.jpg

If it was Lou for Theodore + Upshall, the deal would already be done and we would be screaming mad. Gillis is obviously after a player like Gudbranson
No way. Tallon has already rejected any deal for Huber, Guddy, or Bjustard.

Panthers don't need the the deal, Canucks do. Lou wants FLA, has his NTC. Tallon has already said no to any top prospects or putting out "future" in for the trade. Panthers also already have Clemmensen on the hook as well. Lou's value is very low. To go to the Panthers would be a minimal value for VAN.

For any trade to happen it will like the Oslez- Campbell trade.

Tabris

Either going to get a top prospect or a top 6 forward out of this, Gillis isn't desperate enough to settle for anything else. He can wait for the summer until a team like the Leafs get desperate, or push Luongo to increase number of teams he'll be traded to.

It's not like we need to free up the cap space, and unlike a team like FLA, it's not like our owners won't be willing to pay his salary until an opportune trade becomes available.

This won't be a cap dump as we don't need to do a cap dump, it will be a hockey trade and Luongo's value isn't low in Mike Gillis' eyes.

Tabris

That would be a major negatory. He just had monster camp and all 6'6 221lbs is most definitely not going anywhere.

You don't have any other players worth a trade. Draft picks maybe. I rather just sit on Luongo for the season up to trade deadline until it either forces his hand on being available for different teams or when a team like the Leafs are out of a playoff spot in December and become desperate.

You don't have any other players worth a trade. I rather just sit on Luongo for the season up to trade deadline until it either forces his hand on being available for different teams or when a team like the Leafs are out of a playoff spot in December and become desperate.
You really think VAN management wants to sit with Lou riding the pine? That much money tied up for essentialy nothing. Van needs a cheap back up more than a dead weight contract.

Tabris

And by guess you mean after you read it reported about a month ago that they wanted him? Watch out Eklund, looks like you have some competition!

You really are a cranky person eh?

You really think VAN management wants to sit with Lou riding the pine? That much money tied up for essentialy nothing. Van needs a cheap back up more than a dead weight contract.

Rather than take back some bad contract and nothing of value for Lou? Definitely. You underestimate Luo's value and Gillis overrates it. FLA or TOR is somewhere in the middle and a trade will happen somewhere betweeen what FLA/TOR values him and what Gillis values him, that gets us a fair deal. Luongo isn't Brian Campbell.

And by guess you mean after you read it reported about a month ago that they wanted him? Watch out Eklund, looks like you have some competition!

I don't read anything about Luongo trade rumors because they have no effect on my team. I'm just guessing. I'm sorry you're so obsessed with me.

Not really worried about a backup, we have our own prospect to bring up. Our problem right now with the backup spot is really just which one of the two prospects works out better...

Not really worried about a backup, we have our own prospect to bring up. Our problem right now with the backup spot is really just which one of the two prospects works out better...
What two prospects? Lack's the only one potentially ready for the back-up gig, and even then, most think he could benefit from another year in Chicago.

Godammit, somebody sign Semin already!
No. Fuck off.

What two prospects? Lack's the only one potentially ready for the back-up gig, and even then, most think he could benefit from another year in Chicago.

Really? I thought the idea was to bring him up before he got Red Wings style career ending minors rust. Why do we have a Chicago AHL affiliate again? smh

Trying to think of the other guy's name...probably not ready for awhile yet but still a logjam if we roll with young goaltenders. I just remember McKenzie singing his praises. Maybe it was Cannata.

Really? I thought the idea was to bring him up before he got Red Wings style career ending minors rust. Why do we have a Chicago AHL affiliate again? smh

Trying to think of the other guy's name...probably not ready for awhile yet but still a logjam if we roll with young goaltenders. I just remember McKenzie singing his praises. Maybe it was Cannata.
Cannata just entered the Wolves. It'll be 2 years before he's NHL ready. Lack could be NHL ready now, but Baumgartner and the others think he could use another year as a starter in Chicago and I agree. Having him play 15-20 games this year as a backup isn't nearly as beneficial as giving him 40+ games in Chicago and giving him a bigger workload next season on the big team.

Cannata just entered the Wolves. It'll be 2 years before he's NHL ready. Lack could be NHL ready now, but Baumgartner and the others think he could use another year as a starter in Chicago and I agree. Having him play 15-20 games this year as a backup isn't nearly as beneficial as giving him 40+ games in Chicago and giving him a bigger workload next season on the big team.

Well I suppose it's moot anyway. If a Luongo deal happens a goalie always goes the other way. If it doesn't, he's not pulling a Nash yet so maybe he plays.

Apparently Jordan Staal makes the Southeast compettitive now, I don't think so.
Staal decently upgrades the Carolina offense, their D is still questionable.

Tampa has done good to up their D and it looks like they are trying to fix the G problems, but their apparent starter could go either way under a full season.

Was loses Semin but picks up Rib and Holtby while excellent in the 'yoffs is an unknown for a full season as starter.

Winn has got more scoring depth but goaltending and D looks like it will be same.

FLA gets a good offensive shot with Huberdeau. However losing Sammy and Garrison the PP looks to be weaker. I'm sure Hubby and Howden will improve the offense and shootout issues. If Theo/Clemm/Markstrom can put the same numbers it will be fine. Conversely if Lou comes aboard we have a proven premier goalie.

Overall the parity looks more close than previous years. So it could be any of 3 teams going for the division.

After his cousin filled him in on the details of the service, Richards reached out to Morris. “The message said, ‘Dave said the service was brilliant – I hope you found it the same way,’ ” Morris said. “Then he said, ‘I will score a goal for your dad in the next game.’ ”

It took Richards 59 minutes and 52 seconds to make good on the promise, but he did just that in Game 5 against Washington in the East semifinal, forcing overtime (which the Blueshirts won) in the last moments of regulation. “Boy, did that create emotion,” Morris said. “I told him later, ‘My dad knows you scored.’ He said he just wished it hadn’t taken him so long to do so.”

Love this guy

From ESPN : Pierre's Barf

I'm probably late in realizing this, but do these hockey insider guys ever have any reveals? I mean, yes, they usually hear about a deal being done a few minutes before a press release. But otherwise - like what we see in Dub's quote of LeBrun - there's no reveal, just him reacting to Luongo's comments and then adding some basic cap talk.

Vancouver would have to take back a big contract to offset Luongo's impact on a small market team? That's supposed to be expert analysis?

I never gave these guys any attention until this year. I was missing nothing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Apparently Theodore doesn't want to leave Florida- doesn't want to waive NTC

I don't think the panthers eat Lu's contract- they'd have 4 NHL goalies... Trading clemmensen wouldn't be a good idea as he just signed... Markstrom is a no go

Looks like Florida may be out of running IMO

Apparently Theodore doesn't want to leave Florida- doesn't want to waive NTC

I don't think the panthers eat Lu's contract- they'd have 4 NHL goalies... Trading clemmensen wouldn't be a good idea as he just signed... Markstrom is a no go

Looks like Florida may be out of running IMO
If Theo moves, then Clemmer is on for very cheap 2 years. I don't think he lasts the full two and is dealt next year when Markstrom comes up.

Trade with FLA is more convience rather than need. A Lou/ Clemmer tandem though would give Markstrom that full year as starter in the AHL to test his knees.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If Theo moves, then Clemmer is on for very cheap 2 years. I don't think he lasts the full two and is dealt next year when Markstrom comes up.

Trade with FLA is more convience rather than need. A Lou/ Clemmer tandem though would give Markstrom that full year as starter in the AHL to test his knees.

But if theo doesn't waive

Would the panthers be happy screwing both theo and clemmensen?

Theodore would probably be pissed because it's his contract year and clemmensen just signed

Not totally about money (as theo is only $1.5 million)

He kinda helped bring the team to the playoffs for the first time since the lockout

It just wouldn't look good no matter how you slice it IMO

But if theo doesn't waive

Would the panthers be happy screwing both theo and clemmensen?

Theodore would probably be pissed because it's his contract year and clemmensen just signed

Not totally about money (as theo is only $1.5 million)

He kinda helped bring the team to the playoffs for the first time since the lockout

It just wouldn't look good no matter how you slice it IMO

Theo did post an his best year since his trophy year but his injuries are a concern and nearly cost us the spot. Not to mention injury in the 'yoffs. It's not "screwing" per se, but having a reliable goalie. For 6 weeks we had Clemmer and Foster (AHL 3 tier back-up) as our duo and January was absolutely terrible because of it. No one blames Theo but the reality is last year may have been all he had left.

Honestly it sounds like Theo also retires after this year as well which is why Clemmer is on for 2 years. The original plan was Marky/ Theo this year but Markstrom had knee surgery again last year. Having Lou and Clemmer ensures Markstrom gets his full AHL year.

CREMSteve

If the 2012-2013 season started today, here's the Flames' roster as I see it.

FORWARD LINES
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Roman Cervenka ($3.775m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mikael Backlund ($0.725m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Blake Comeau ($1.250m) / Lance Bouma ($0.693m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)

HEALTHY SCRATCHES
Roman Horak ($0.800m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m)

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
T.J. Brodie ($0.742m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / Chris Butler ($1.250m)
Anton Babchuk ($2.500m) / Derek Smith ($0.775m)

GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m)
Henrik Karlsson ($0.863m)

COACHING STAFF
Bob Hartley - Head Coach
Jacques Cloutier - Assistant Coach
Martin Gelinas - Assistant Coach

MANAGEMENT
Jay Feaster - General Manager
John Weisbrod - Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel
Craig Conroy - Special Assistant to the General Manager

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,893,749; BONUSES: $3,831,250
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,306,251

What do you folks think? Better or worse than last year? I know the initial gut reaction is to bash on the team, but I think they've made some nice moves in this offseason.

The obvious biggest change is the entire second line is brand new, which conversely gives Backlund the opportunity to continue playing on the third line, only now with more skilled wingers instead of depth pluggers. As well, the PP should also be significantly more effective with the added skill up front and the addition of Wideman on the point.

A new, French-Canadian coaching staff encouraging skill, creativity and speed and a management team focusing on adding components that emphasize hockey sense, character and skill over physicality and size, should make for a more exciting brand of hockey for fans to watch throughout the year.

They've also reduced the average age on their roster to 28 years old in the process.

The Flames now have only 4 players on their team that are over the age of 31 (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Sarich and Tanguay) and 2 players aged 30 (Cammalleri and Jackman). They have 19 players aged 19-29.

Compare this to the start of the 2011 season, when they had 14 (WTF) players over the age of 32.

zedge

If the 2012-2013 season started today, here's the Flames' roster as I see it.

FORWARD LINES
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Roman Cervenka ($3.775m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mikael Backlund ($0.725m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Blake Comeau ($1.250m) / Lance Bouma ($0.693m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)

HEALTHY SCRATCHES
Roman Horak ($0.800m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m)

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
T.J. Brodie ($0.742m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / Chris Butler ($1.250m)
Anton Babchuk ($2.500m) / Derek Smith ($0.775m)

GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m)
Henrik Karlsson ($0.863m)

COACHING STAFF
Bob Hartley - Head Coach
Jacques Cloutier - Assistant Coach
Martin Gelinas - Assistant Coach

MANAGEMENT
Jay Feaster - General Manager
John Weisbrod - Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel
Craig Conroy - Special Assistant to the General Manager

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,893,749; BONUSES: $3,831,250
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,306,251

What do you folks think? Better or worse than last year? I know the initial gut reaction is to bash on the team, but I think they've made some nice moves in this offseason.

The obvious biggest change is the entire second line is brand new, which conversely gives Backlund the opportunity to continue playing on the third line, only now with more skilled wingers instead of depth pluggers. As well, the PP should also be significantly more effective with the added skill up front and the addition of Wideman on the point.

A new, French-Canadian coaching staff encouraging skill, creativity and speed and a management team focusing on adding components that emphasize hockey sense, character and skill over physicality and size, should make for a more exciting brand of hockey for fans to watch throughout the year.

They've also reduced the average age on their roster to 28 years old in the process.

The Flames now have only 4 players on their team that are over the age of 31 (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Sarich and Tanguay) and 2 players aged 30 (Cammalleri and Jackman). They have 19 players aged 19-29.

Compare this to the start of the 2011 season, when they had 14 (WTF) players over the age of 32.

Great post. I agree for the most part, something to look forward to. The drop in age is pretty significant. I am looking forward to the second line the most, Baertschi is the future of this team imo. But it is crazy how close to the salary cap the Flames are.

Thanks for summing all this up, I am slightly less depressed now. :p

Cactus

Banned
I still don't understand why Tallon is interested in Luongo. Theodore and Clemmensen are both capable of putting up good numbers, and Markstrom is one of the best G prospects in the league. He's probably only one year or so away from becoming an NHL regular. If their goalies were poor last season, it would make some sense, but a combined .915 between Theodore/Clemmensen is pretty damn good.

Top Bottom