• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I still don't understand why Tallon is interested in Luongo. Theodore and Clemmensen are both capable of putting up good numbers, and Markstrom is one of the best G prospects in the league. He's probably only one year or so away from becoming an NHL regular. If their goalies were poor last season, it would make some sense, but a combined .915 between Theodore/Clemmensen is pretty damn good.

I agree but at the same time Theo's age and injury concern are at issue. Theo was wonderful but can he do it again? It is worth getting him for cheap while keeping Lou from other eastern teams. For the right cap dumps and price getting a premier goalie is worth it.

Edit: Lou is also good in the shootout. That is something Theo and especially Clemmer are not good at.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I still don't understand why Tallon is interested in Luongo. Theodore and Clemmensen are both capable of putting up good numbers, and Markstrom is one of the best G prospects in the league. He's probably only one year or so away from becoming an NHL regular. If their goalies were poor last season, it would make some sense, but a combined .915 between Theodore/Clemmensen is pretty damn good.

Marketing probably

And a familiar face returning home

It's less of a hockey trade for Florida... The other teams in the picture have some of the worst G situations imaginable

I agree but at the same time Theo's age and injury concern are at issue. Theo was wonderful but can he do it again? It is worth getting him for cheap while keeping Lou from other eastern teams. For the right cap dumps and price getting a premier goalie is worth it.

Edit: Lou is also good in the shootout. That is something Theo and especially Clemmer are not good at.

The team that takes on Luongo's contract has to be able to afford it for the next 5 years or so. In all honesty, is that something Florida can do? He's owed 6.7 per year until 2017/18.

The team that takes on Luongo's contract has to be able to afford it for the next 5 years or so. In all honesty, is that something Florida can do? He's owed 6.7 per year until 2017/18.
Cap space/money isn't an issue. Term length is an issue with contract possibly effecting RFA resignings. If we unload some space like Upshall or Kopecky the impact is minimal.

Barrage

Calgary has a Healthy Scratch (Stajan) making 3.5/yr. I would say that is a problem.

As many have said, Luongo isn't the sensible choice for the Florida team when it comes to managing their Cap/future. Toronto would be a better fit. The sense i'm getting is that Luongo doesn't want to go there.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I thought Luongo was bad in shootouts? I haven't seem him in too many, just the impression I got from Nuck's fans on here.

I can't see Gillis, or anyone else for that matter, wanting either Upshall or Kopecky.
If the rumors of Lou only wanting FLA are true then Gillis may be over a barrel at this point.

I actually like Upshall he would be great 30-40 pt 3rd liner that can add grit and smart puck play. The problem is he can't stay healthy. Kopecky is one Tallon's "character" guys so the actual likelihood of him being moved is low.

Just read an interview with Sergei Shirokov. Would Florida offer him a chance to come back to play in the NHL? He said he's open to the idea.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If the rumors of Lou only wanting FLA are true then Gillis may be over a barrel at this point.

I actually like Upshall he would be great 30-40 pt 3rd liner that can add grit and smart puck play. The problem is he can't stay healthy. Kopecky is one Tallon's "character" guys so the actual likelihood of him being moved is low.

The rumors aren't true. Gillis flat out said it wasn't true. Luongo also said just yesterday that while he likes Florida and it may be a good place to relax and enjoy time with family/friends, stay out of the spotlight, he prefers a hockey market.

Basically... Luongo wants go to a place where he can make a mark and loves to bask in the spotlight. Also one interesting note is when luongo said (or heavily alluded to) needing to approve the trade as a whole, not just the city... So that the deal would be fair to both teams... I assume so he doesn't end up on a team that is one step closer to a rebuild. That almost singles out Toronto and Florida IMO... Other teams that could fit the bill is Edmonton, Ottawa (highly unlikely), Winnipeg (unlikely as they have pavalec), or Minnesota as they're all in some sort of rebuild or a bubble team in hockey markets. Toronto though is about as big as all of them combined in terms of market.

Gillis also backed that up when saying he'd bring luongo into the part with details later.

That also made me assume a deal is nowhere close to completed.

Basically... Luongo wants go to a place where he can make a mark and loves to bask in the spotlight. Also one interesting note is when luongo said (or heavily alluded to) needing to approve the trade as a whole, not just the city... So that the deal would be fair to both teams... I assume so he doesn't end up on a team that is one step closer to a rebuild. That almost singles out Toronto and Florida IMO... Other teams that could fit the bill is Edmonton, Ottawa (highly unlikely), Winnipeg (unlikely as they have pavalec), or Minnesota as they're all in some sort of rebuild or a bubble team in hockey markets. Toronto though is about as big as all of them combined in terms of market.

This. It's not like some Rick Nash style blowup - everyone from management to the fans knew it was either going to be him or Schneider, and unless some big Schneider offer comes it was obviously going to be Luongo on the line. He's played it smart by just staying on page with Gillis - let him handle it and he'll get one of his preferred destinations without burning all of the local goodwill that surrounds the goaltender with most of the franchise records. (And if the crazy Schneider deal happens, the King is recrowned, as unlikely as it seems.)

That also made me assume a deal is nowhere close to completed.

Agreed.

Curufinwe

I thought Luongo was bad in shootouts? I haven't seem him in too many, just the impression I got from Nuck's fans on here.

The NHL has full shoot out stats available. Luongo is pretty good over his career. 29 - 33, .668

I wonder if Columbus fans know Bobrovsky has the worst shoot out stats in the league. 2 - 6, .480.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The NHL has full shoot out stats available. Luongo is pretty good over his career. 29 - 33, .668

I wonder if Columbus fans know Bobrovsky has the worst shoot out stats in the league. 2 - 6, .480.
I don't think Columbus fans even knew who Bobrovsky was.

It's a tough beat on the mean streets of Columbus....but one blue jacket puts the thugs their place.

This fall, when crime comes 'a knockin' he starts cocking.

SGT. BOBROVSKY: BEAT COP

E. KANE: Alright Patrick, there's two of us and twelve of them in there, what the hell do we do?!

P. KANE: I don't know Evander, but I've got that chubby chick across the street zeroed in.

E. KANE: Dammit Patrick! Pay attention!

*car rips up to the curb knocking off a dustbin*

BOBROVSKY: I came fast as I could. What is situation!

P. KANE: Bobrovsky! What the hell are you doing here?!

E. KANE: I thought the captain kicked you off the force!

BOBROVSKY: Captain take Bobrovsky out of force, but captain cannot take force out of Bobrovsky!

*Bobrovsky charges into the warehouse, gunshots ensue*

KANE and KANE: BOBROVSKY!

*cue intro music*

9akr4.jpg

Canucks have about $5M in cap space. After they sign Raymond and Weise, they'll have about $2M left. There's little chance they'll free up a lot of cap room in a Luongo trade, and it won't be enough to make a big UFA signing. I can see them going with both goalies when the season starts, although it's not a long-term solution.

Cake Boss

Banned
K iam done that was amazing as shit. I might be pn worldstarhiphop today if something comes up from ottawa canada. Iam the sexy one qith the purple shidrt. Sexy as hell too. I didnt do shit in the fight. Iam a lover.

RC

Banned
It's too late in the night to make sense of drunk posts. Something, something, big booty, something, hit that, something, yeah!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Getting this thread right back where it should be:

Nicklas Lidstrom joins the Red Wings as a scout in Sweden.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Best move we have made this offseason.... :(

I know--it's sad. At least I was right for being so negative :( I have zero faith in Holland, and reading his latest comments I think he's resigned himself to the fact that they're just going into the year with what they have because apparently they aren't high on Semin at all.

This latest hire of Lidstrom, though, may be the type of thing that gets a guy like Doan to come to Detroit. We do take care of our older players.

Cactus

Banned
Tomorrow is Doan's deadline, right? I guess we'll be hearing some definitive answers concerning the Coyotes situation very soon.

pringles

I know--it's sad. At least I was right for being so negative :( I have zero faith in Holland, and reading his latest comments I think he's resigned himself to the fact that they're just going into the year with what they have because apparently they aren't high on Semin at all.

This latest hire of Lidstrom, though, may be the type of thing that gets a guy like Doan to come to Detroit. We do take care of our older players.
Can't understand why Holland wouldn't outbid everyone else for Semin right now. We have cap space, we have a pretty good russian set-up man, we're in desperate need of both offense and defense.. fuck, signing him would free us up to trade Franzen for a d-man. If I see Semin signing in Pittsburgh for a reasonable cap hit I'm giving up on Holland.

Cactus

Banned
Speaking of Semin, here's an article that tries to prove that Semin is actually an extremely good player who has had his achievements downplayed due to the artificially produced stigma that surrounds him.

Some of those numbers are very interesting.

Top Bottom