• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

That implies that Dion hasn't spiked his own drink.

I don't think Dion is smart enough to think of that.

Speaking of Semin, here's an article that tries to prove that Semin is actually an extremely good player who has had his achievements downplayed due to the artificially produced stigma that surrounds him.

He is a good player but there's all this talk on how he doesn't get along with anyone and just doesn't really care. Does he even speak English ?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't understand why Holland wouldn't outbid everyone else for Semin right now. We have cap space, we have a pretty good russian set-up man, we're in desperate need of both offense and defense.. fuck, signing him would free us up to trade Franzen for a d-man. If I see Semin signing in Pittsburgh for a reasonable cap hit I'm giving up on Holland.

Because Babcock hates lazy players. He absolutely hated Hudler, he slammed Holmstrom repeatedly this year as well. That's why Semin isn't on the Wings' radar right now.

If it were me, I'd sign him in a heartbeat. A ton of talent and I think playing with Datsyuk would revitalize him. With the massive amount of cap space they have, it makes absolutely no sense not to sign him when they need goal-scoring.

Speaking of Semin, here's an article that tries to prove that Semin is actually an extremely good player who has had his achievements downplayed due to the artificially produced stigma that surrounds him.

Some of those numbers are very interesting.

"Bradley was such a great fit with Florida that they bought him out of his contract on June 29th. Also he missed the last 29 games of the regular season and all 7 playoff games Florida played in with a mysterious "upper body" injury. He was probably faking it so he didn't have to work hard in practice!"

Bradley was out with a concussion during that time.

Semin I think will be great as the #1 scorer in a market. I think his "enigmatic" label has more to with being frustrated behind Backstrom and Ovy. He definetly has the talent and has shown it. I don't think it's motivation though. Take Wolski for an example he could be a #1 talent in nearly any market. His hands and raw talent show through in flashes but he really is not motivated at all.

Semin was number one on his line and didn't do anything in the playoffs other than take low percentage shots. The Caps depth has failed them on their runs and Semin's right at the top of that depth.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Now that I think about that Lidstrom signing, that could be huge for Detroit. Lidstrom is beloved in Sweden and any time you have a situation like Brunner was in this year, he could be the guy that brings them toward the Wings' organization. Could work out nicely.

I just hope this Phoenix thing fails and Doan goes to free agency, with his agent contacting Detroit, he would be a great pickup and falls under our retirement home age range.

Also: Rumor is Detroit is interested in Weber.... Yannick Weber that is and would be a 3rd for him, Habs fans have anything to say about him?

Razorskin

----- ------
Now that I think about that Lidstrom signing, that could be huge for Detroit. Lidstrom is beloved in Sweden and any time you have a situation like Brunner was in this year, he could be the guy that brings them toward the Wings' organization. Could work out nicely.

You're over thinking this, he's a scout, probably won't be a good one either.

Also: Rumor is Detroit is interested in Weber.... Yannick Weber that is and would be a 3rd for him, Habs fans have anything to say about him?

No you want Kaberle.

Weber can be a good offensive defenseman in a few years, he's shown some good stuff at the NHL level.

Plinko

You're over thinking this, he's a scout, probably won't be a good one either.

I think you underestimate Lidstrom's influence in Sweden. He can just walk into any business and take what he wants no questions asked.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
He started off pretty good, but his development has taken a hit over the past 2 season. I still think there's potential for him to be a good offensive D-men but, not in Montreal. Best thing about him, is he always seemed to score against the Bruins.

Isn't that how it is for most people in Detroit?
w2ZkX.gif

If the 2012-2013 season started today, here's the Flames' roster as I see it.

FORWARD LINES
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($7.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($1.425m) / Roman Cervenka ($3.775m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mikael Backlund ($0.725m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)
Blake Comeau ($1.250m) / Lance Bouma ($0.693m) / Tim Jackman ($0.613m)

HEALTHY SCRATCHES
Roman Horak ($0.800m) / Matt Stajan ($3.500m) / Blair Jones ($0.650m)

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
T.J. Brodie ($0.742m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Cory Sarich ($2.000m) / Chris Butler ($1.250m)
Anton Babchuk ($2.500m) / Derek Smith ($0.775m)

GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff ($5.833m)
Henrik Karlsson ($0.863m)

COACHING STAFF
Bob Hartley - Head Coach
Jacques Cloutier - Assistant Coach
Martin Gelinas - Assistant Coach

MANAGEMENT
Jay Feaster - General Manager
John Weisbrod - Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel
Craig Conroy - Special Assistant to the General Manager

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,893,749; BONUSES: $3,831,250
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,306,251

What do you folks think? Better or worse than last year? I know the initial gut reaction is to bash on the team, but I think they've made some nice moves in this offseason.

The obvious biggest change is the entire second line is brand new, which conversely gives Backlund the opportunity to continue playing on the third line, only now with more skilled wingers instead of depth pluggers. As well, the PP should also be significantly more effective with the added skill up front and the addition of Wideman on the point.

A new, French-Canadian coaching staff encouraging skill, creativity and speed and a management team focusing on adding components that emphasize hockey sense, character and skill over physicality and size, should make for a more exciting brand of hockey for fans to watch throughout the year.

They've also reduced the average age on their roster to 28 years old in the process.

The Flames now have only 4 players on their team that are over the age of 31 (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Sarich and Tanguay) and 2 players aged 30 (Cammalleri and Jackman). They have 19 players aged 19-29.

Compare this to the start of the 2011 season, when they had 14 (WTF) players over the age of 32.

Good shit. I do see Stajan playing on the 4th line more often than not due to him being less of a defensive liability than Bouma but it could go either way. Also I might switch Cervenka and Backlund as well as Glencross and Baertschi until they both get a few weeks in just to get them adjusted again to the NHL.

Curufinwe

How the Flyers line up looks like shaking out assuming they don't make any more major moves. Like a 5 or 6 seed unless Pronger stages a Lazarus-style recovery.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ents_provide_frustrating_week_for_Flyers.html

Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek
Briere, Simmonds, Schenn
Couturier, Read, Fedotenko
Talbot, Wellwood, Rinaldo/Shelley/Sestito/Zolnierczyk

Timmonen, Schenn
Coburn, Grossman
Mezaros, Gervais/Lilja/Gustaffson/Bourdon

Bryz, Please sign another backup goalie for the love of god

Plinko

Just saw that Gustav Nyquist turned down the invitation to Wings' prospect camp because of the World Championships. If that guy isn't on the main roster this year...

Daily most likely BS rumor, apparently Detroit and Pit are the ones in on Semin with Pit offering him a little longer contract at a lower cap hit, and Detroit offering him a shorter contract with a higher cap hit and money, and apparently Doan has been in contact with Detroit and they might make a pitch to him soon.

Not to get my hopes up again, but if somehow we did get Doan and Semin, this offseason could turn from bad to actually somewhat positive, now just to fix that defense...

Haha, oh wow:

Manics™ ‏@ManicsFromGAF
@shepfx Im hearing it’s down to Wings, Pens and KHL. Caps are now long shot. Things can change quickly

Of course the other (more legit to some degree) source came from Malik though he said he got it from some Russian site which probably got it from Manics, oh what a troll he has become. :lol

edit: FUUUUU, now the Red Wings board on HFboards is using Manics as a source, what has this world come to

pringles

Just saw that Gustav Nyquist turned down the invitation to Wings' prospect camp because of the World Championships. If that guy isn't on the main roster this year...
What World Championships? Anyway the guy is a lock to be on the team unless Holland trades him in a package for Nash/Ryan/dman.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Some good news for Heretic:

"News I'm being told Tonight Anaheim #Ducks BobbyRyan is not on the Market UNLESS THEY get blown away with something Big !!! #NHL"

This is coming from the same guy who said Latendresse would be signed by Ottawa like 2 days before it happened and everyone laughed at me when I posted it in here. He also called two Flyer signings I believe. Not really that big of a news flash though, seems pretty obvious it would take a huge deal to move him.

Some good news for Heretic:

"News I'm being told Tonight Anaheim #Ducks BobbyRyan is not on the Market UNLESS THEY get blown away with something Big !!! #NHL"

This is coming from the same guy who said Latendresse would be signed by Ottawa like 2 days before it happened and everyone laughed at me when I posted it in here. He also called two Flyer signings I believe. Not really that big of a news flash though, seems pretty obvious it would take a huge deal to move him.

He's waiting for Burke to sign Getzlaf and Perry next year before he demands a trade to Toronto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Daily most likely BS rumor, apparently Detroit and Pit are the ones in on Semin with Pit offering him a little longer contract at a lower cap hit, and Detroit offering him a shorter contract with a higher cap hit and money, and apparently Doan has been in contact with Detroit and they might make a pitch to him soon.

Not to get my hopes up again, but if somehow we did get Doan and Semin, this offseason could turn from bad to actually somewhat positive, now just to fix that defense...

Haha, oh wow:

Of course the other (more legit to some degree) source came from Malik though he said he got it from some Russian site which probably got it from Manics, oh what a troll he has become. :lol

edit: FUUUUU, now the Red Wings board on HFboards is using Manics as a source, what has this world come to
lol
Good jorb, Manics!

Plinko

Wow. Holland really wants to go 0-fer this offseason. At least maybe people will see how overrated he is now.

The absolute icing on the cake would be Holland bringing back Holmstrom.

NHL team does not want to give up highly talented, former first round pick, all star, free scoring franchise winger unless they receive a fair return?

I was going to make a sarcastic remark, but then I remembered its the Ducks. Only with Murray around can such common sense be seen as extraordinary.

Ryan to Calgary for former 1st line anchor Matt 'The Raging' Stajan!

Quick

Banned
Matt Stajan with an NTC is some JFJ type shit.

JFJ...Jay Feaster...JayFJ...Jay...Feaster...Jay Feaster...J?

Mother of God...

Top Bottom