• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Acid08

Banned
John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620
Coyotes Captain Shane Doan expecting to listen to offers tomorrow -- San Jose, New York Rangers, Boston & Pittsburgh are at top of list.

Doan prefers to stay in Phoenix but needs assurances from NHL on Coyotes fate -- Looking for 4/5 year deal at around $6 mill per

David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks
‪#Sjsharks‬ on list of teams courting Doan. "Yes there is strong mutual interest. Have been in contact with Mr. Wilson" -- agent Terry Bross.

Clydefrog

Signing Doan for 5 years? Yeesh....

For $6 million? :lol

uF7Kb.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
The anti-arena lawsuits in Quebec were tossed out, right?
Yes. Several weeks ago.

And was't there some July 9 deadline for the Phoenix signature collection? Marvie, please come in.
No one is sure exactly what the date is on the referendum deadline. It was thought to be the 9th but Goldwater is saying it's the 14th of 15th. Sounds like the signatures aren't being turned in until the 14th and if they're rejected, they're going to take it to court.

Tabris

"But knowing our artists and how efficient we try and be, we might have copied him and then made Henrik have a bigger forehead."

Well that explains why the models are garbage and the only way to tell one player from another is based on race. Fuck you EA, piece of shit company.

Cranky bear at it again!

"But knowing our artists and how efficient we try and be, we might have copied him and then made Henrik have a bigger forehead."

Well that explains why the models are garbage and the only way to tell one player from another is based on race. Fuck you EA, piece of shit company.

Can't tell if serious.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
"Though I do encourage you to read the “GM Connected” mode as it sounds awesome, and will probably drop the work productivity of any EA playing office down 35%. Why? Because it will have a phone ap that will let you make trades. At work. ”Sorry, I can’t make the meeting. Why? Oh, because I am THIS close to landing Joe Thornton and the trade deadline is at 2pm today.”"

This is pretty much the main reason I'm buying NHL. GM connected mode with app-support will be GLORIOUS.

Games that allow you to contribute through your smartphone used to be Zynga territory. I'm so glad it's actually getting utilised in games without shitty (real life currency) microtransactions attached to them.

Stop me if I'm wrong to be - but I'm actually excited about NHL 13 as a whole. NHL 12 was so lackluster, made me stop playing after two weeks.

Interesting perspective about their production schedule as well IE: What features will be bang for buck and what won't make the cut.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Coyotes Captain Shane Doan expecting to listen to offers tomorrow -- San Jose, New York Rangers, Boston & Pittsburgh are at top of list.

Doan prefers to stay in Phoenix but needs assurances from NHL on Coyotes fate -- Looking for 4/5 year deal at around $6 mill per

David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks
‪#Sjsharks‬ on list of teams courting Doan. "Yes there is strong mutual interest. Have been in contact with Mr. Wilson" -- agent Terry Bross.

Lol at no Detroit. GM of the year! Detroit could easily give that contract, too.

Before free agency I joked about Detroit not spending money because of Prince Fielder's contract. Now I'm not sure it was a joke.

Curufinwe

Semin only being able to get a one year deal would be utterly humiliating. He has better numbers than someone like Jeff Carter, and he got 11 years and $58 million.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd have to imagine Semin would rather go to Russia and take the 3-year $30 million deal than take a 1-year deal here.

That one year deal with Pits for Semin was shot down a few days ago, just seems like a re-report.

Lol at no Detroit. GM of the year! Detroit could easily give that contract, too.

Before free agency I joked about Detroit not spending money because of Prince Fielder's contract. Now I'm not sure it was a joke.

Then why was his agent in contact with Detroit looking for an offer? Something seems weird.

Was looking at the GM stuff and saw this...

We sat down with producer Andy Agostini to discuss the new connected franchise mode and how EA Canada plans on making the general manager AI perform more like Red Wings mastermind Ken Holland and less like former New York Islanders trainwreck/current TV commentator Mike Milbury.

So that means there will be no trading during the regular season and off-season. :/

pretty funny to hear craig leopold shitting all over the contracts he just signed parise and suter to, on the day of their press conference no less. :lol

Just to confirm Plinko that Detroit is on Doan's mind:

Just before boarding a plane to go to the All-Star Game in Kansas City, Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, confirmed that he has been contacted regarding his client by the Detroit Red Wings.And there is interest in Doan possibly coming to Detroit as well.

“Yes to both,” Bross said when asked if the Wings have contacted him and whether Doan has Detroit on a list of possible teams to play for next season.

Bross couldn’t talk any further as he was just about to board the plane.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120710/SPORTS05/207100410/Agent-Coyotes-defenseman-Shane-Doan-has-interest-in-Red-Wings

Also:

Ken Holland on #RedWings plans: "We'd like to add one more experienced defenseman. See what the next two months brings."

I have to say I do see Holland doing something to the D as I'm sure he knows we can't go into the season with what we have, at least that brightens my hopes a little.

Plinko

Just to confirm Plinko that Detroit is on Doan's mind:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120710/SPORTS05/207100410/Agent-Coyotes-defenseman-Shane-Doan-has-interest-in-Red-Wings

Also:

I have to say I do see Holland doing something to the D as I'm sure he knows we can't go into the season with what we have, at least that brightens my hopes a little.

Thanks for posting these. I needed a little positivity for the upcoming season. Still, a lot of teams in play for Doan and I have no clue what they'll have to give up for a defenseman.

Cactus

Banned
Ballard is actually useful. Komisarek... not so much.

Komisarek is bad, but I think his shortcomings are over-exaggerated. He faced tougher competition on average than Ballard last season, for example, and had a much better CORSI rating (shot differential: including goals, shots on target, missed shots, and blocked shots). So basically Komisarek faced tougher competition and still managed to limit shots against to a greater extent than Ballard did.

I don't think either of them are NHL quality defencemen at this point. I'd rather have Komisarek, just because his contract is closer to expiring.

(QOC/CORSI statistics taken from behindthenet.ca)

Yeah he does stay home, when you bench him enough hell stay home and watch the game.

:lol

Thanks for posting these. I needed a little positivity for the upcoming season. Still, a lot of teams in play for Doan and I have no clue what they'll have to give up for a defenseman.

You know you have something wrong when you have me (Mr. Negativity) lifting your spirits up.

Edit: He also acknowledges their large number of forwards and that they would like to add a different kind of forward to that group.

"We're set in goal. We've got about 14, 15 forwards. Would we like a different type of forward? Yeah. We'd like to add one more experienced defenseman. See what the next two months brings."

Plinko

"We're set in goal. We've got about 14, 15 forwards. Would we like a different type of forward? Yeah. We'd like to add one more experienced defenseman. See what the next two months brings."

A different type of forward? You mean one that can actually score some goals?

A different type of forward? You mean one that can actually score some goals?

I think he was more referring to Doan, but yeah, which still puzzles me as to why he said they haven't bothered with Semin much.

Edit: So apparently Detroit's 5th round pick in the draft this year who is pretty much a huge fighter and tough guy (6-feet-4, 230 pounds) started crying in joy when he was selected by Detroit. http://www.freep.com/article/20120710/SPORTS05/207100386/Red-Wings-rookie-Mike-McKee-impressive-in-conditioning-maturity?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think he was more referring to Doan, but yeah, which still puzzles me as to why he said they haven't bothered with Semin much.

Edit: So apparently Detroit's 5th round pick in the draft this year who is pretty much a huge fighter and tough guy (6-feet-4, 230 pounds) started crying in joy when he was selected by Detroit. http://www.freep.com/article/20120710/SPORTS05/207100386/Red-Wings-rookie-Mike-McKee-impressive-in-conditioning-maturity?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports
Cause Holland is a-scared. He'd rather sign a 35 yr old player to a 6 year deal than take a chance on a 27 yr old who may or may not have a less than stellar work ethic to a 3 year deal. I'd take Semin over Doan any day of the week as of now. Change of scenery, different play style, new coach, and a super star Russian center to play with who can mentor him could drastically change how he acts and plays.

Plinko

Cause Holland is a-scared. He'd rather sign a 35 yr old player to a 6 year deal than take a chance on a 27 yr old who may or may not have a less than stellar work ethic to a 3 year deal. I'd take Semin over Doan any day of the week as of now. Change of scenery, different play style, new coach, and a super star Russian center to play with who can mentor him could drastically change how he acts and plays.

Babcock doesn't want Semin. He can't coach those type of players.

Plinko

Detroit GM Ken Holland: "We have no interest in Semin."

Eklund, 9 minutes ago: "I'm hearing that things are really heating up on the Alexander Semin front and Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago and New Jersey have gotten down to brass tacks with serious offers for the controversial Capitals free agent."

Seriously, Eklund. Just read every once in a while.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently Gauthier has been hired as a pro scout for the Hawks....

8nXk8.gif

Have fun with that Marvie, can't wait until he advises you guys to trade your best prospect for Kaberle.

Top Bottom