• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I got to go to Sabres Development Camp today - was actually pretty fun. Surprised how many people were there.. probably near 1,000. When I went last year there couldn't have been more than 100, so pretty good turnout for a Tuesday morning.

Maybe most importantly, Marcus Foligno was the standout. The guy is just oozing confidence right now. I bet Girgensons is going to be really popular around here whenever he makes it - super high energy player with a good pair of hands. Grigorenko looked pretty nervous until a shootout drill, where he netted three in a row in pretty fashion. Have to wonder if he's a bit tight because of expectations. Armia stood out in the drills, but not nearly as much in the scrimmage. Still another year or so for him I would bet.

Did Patrick Roy's kid look any good? I read in the news today he's at the Sabres camp after going undrafted.

Roy’s size -- he's listed for camp at 5-foot-10, 160 pounds -- may have been a contributing factor to why he wasn’t drafted, but his numbers are there. He scored 53 goals in the last two years with Quebec and put up 92 points in 64 games last season while on a line with Sabres’ first-round pick Mikhail Grigorenko, who couldn’t say enough about Roy.

“I was playing with him all year long, I think he was one of the best linemates in my life,” Grigorenko said. “With him, he makes you better. He’ll always support you and he works hard and he wins all his battles and he’s a really smart player and he always passes the puck. For me, I really enjoyed to play with him.”

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

Marvie_3

Banned
Dang it HOLLAND!! Get on it!!
He's too busy trying to talk this guy into playing again:

2046U.png

FOOTE

Apparently the Blues might trade for Morrow.. Sure, we'll take him. Now, hopefully, the paper here wont mention Doan again. I want him, but there's no way the dude is coming here.

So the kid from Downunder, Nathan Walker, scores a goal in the Caps development camp scrimmage and my Nana passes away. I guess that evens things up for the day.

Erdrick

So the kid from Downunder, Nathan Walker, scores a goal in the Caps development camp scrimmage and my Nana passes away. I guess that evens things up for the day.

Mine passed away last year, the day the Jets were officially, well, called the Jets on the draft last year. I've never been so happy/so sad/numb before in my life.

Condolences and sorry man.

Guys you're missing the point. NATHAN WALKER SCOR-

... Thanks for the chinups brethren. She's had dementure for 10 years, so the emotional connection isn't that strong. But what's killing me is the toll it's taking on my mother, and she's in another state (province) at the moment, so I can't be there for her.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So the guys in Glendale didn't turn in the signatures today. They say it's due next week, the city council says it was due today and will have to prove it in court. Looks like even more legal action coming.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So the guys in Glendale didn't turn in the signatures today. They say it's due next week, the city council says it was due today and will have to prove it in court. Looks like even more legal action coming.

They're really trying every move in the book to.... Not move.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How the hell can you not know when something is due? This thing is beyond a clusterfuck at this point.

I believe the reasoning is Cobb and jones couldn't get paperwork for the referendum petition due to the budget vote going under "emergency action" as those can't be taken to referendum

so they expect the timeframe from when the budget passed until the time the emergency portion was thrown out by the court as time they should have had to be getting petitions for a referendum

There is a decent chance that their argument may hold in court due to how close the timing of the budget vote/ court case was to the deadline but there's no guarantee. To be honest they should have had more volunteers. The tax petition had 5,000 signatures in same time frame so it may be something hard to argue.

Thing is... They can also put it on next years ballot too... That's a LONG time of uncertainty... And there's a very very good chance the taxes will be shot down so it would put both Glendale and the NHL in a tough spot

Tax referendum has nothing to do with NHL directly, but can affect if Glendale is able to pay. Second one revolves around the lease.

How the hell can you not know when something is due? This thing is beyond a clusterfuck at this point.

They contested the due date pretty much as soon as they started collecting signatures. Apparently you're supposed to get 30 days from filing but they had a battle with the council over some of the clause language that prevented official approval for another 4-7 days. So basically council is counting from when they first heard of it, and Goldwater is counting from when the official okay was given.

Considering how stubborn both sides have been, court is both fitting and inevitable.

EDIT: dopey has better details there. good stuff

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
:lol What? He jumps Stalberg, isn't that just proving his point?
Hey man he totally destroyed that dude with 1 other NHL fight to his career. TOUGHEST SOB.
Typical excuse making from two sad, sad men.

Stalberg fucked with the bull and got the horns. Besides, there are plenty of Youtube clips showing Bieksa handing out asswhippings, but I've got better things to do. Also, your favourite team/teams suck.

CREMSteve

I dislike this time of the year. Nothing really going on, no news to read about, which in itself becomes news.

Come on, October, move yer ass!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The St. Louis Blues traded forward B.J. Crombeen and a 2014 fifth-round pick to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for fourth round picks in both 2013 and 2014.

Crombeen, 27, had one goal and two assists in 40 games for the Blues last season.

"I would like to thank BJ and his wife, Janet, for their time here in St. Louis," said Blues executive vice president and general manager Doug Armstrong in a statement. "BJ gave us everything he had on the ice and along with his wife, was very active in our community."

...it's something

fallout

Guys you're missing the point. NATHAN WALKER SCOR-

... Thanks for the chinups brethren. She's had dementure for 10 years, so the emotional connection isn't that strong. But what's killing me is the toll it's taking on my mother, and she's in another state (province) at the moment, so I can't be there for her.
It's rough. Both of my mom's parents passing away in the span of about 12 months was really hard on my her. I'm sure you have, but try to make sure that you stay in touch. It makes a difference.

In any case, my condolences.

Also, TEEEMUUUUUUUU

They contested the due date pretty much as soon as they started collecting signatures. Apparently you're supposed to get 30 days from filing but they had a battle with the council over some of the clause language that prevented official approval for another 4-7 days. So basically council is counting from when they first heard of it, and Goldwater is counting from when the official okay was given.

Considering how stubborn both sides have been, court is both fitting and inevitable.

EDIT: dopey has better details there. good stuff

It just feels fitting somehow that it's so fucked up that they have to go to court. How could something as simple as a date be fucked up when it involves the coyotes? SMH

Typical excuse making from two sad, sad men.

Stalberg fucked with the bull and got the horns. Besides, there are plenty of Youtube clips showing Bieksa handing out asswhippings, but I've got better things to do. Also, your favourite team/teams suck.

:lol :lol :lol

Acid08

Banned
Sharks hired Jim Johnson as an assistant coach, was an assistant with the Caps last season.

Caps fans, what's the deal with this guy? What responsibilities did he handle for ya'll? Loving that the coaching staff is finally seeing changes, shit brain Shaw is likely gone.

edit: “I'm a real pressure guy. I don't think you win at this game without pressuring. And I'm a guy that really believes you've got to play a 200-foot game and it's a speed game today. And it's not only your forecheck speed, it's your backcheck speed, it's your skating speed, it's your transition speed and it's your intellectual speed. I think if you can play a speed game, you can have success. But you've got to have some structure within that speed game."

I love that quote from him, all around speed is a problem the Sharks have. Unfortunately we have too many physically slow players.

Sharks hired Jim Johnson as an assistant coach, was an assistant with the Caps last season.

Caps fans, what's the deal with this guy? What responsibilities did he handle for ya'll? Loving that the coaching staff is finally seeing changes, shit brain Shaw is likely gone.

edit: “I'm a real pressure guy. I don't think you win at this game without pressuring. And I'm a guy that really believes you've got to play a 200-foot game and it's a speed game today. And it's not only your forecheck speed, it's your backcheck speed, it's your skating speed, it's your transition speed and it's your intellectual speed. I think if you can play a speed game, you can have success. But you've got to have some structure within that speed game."

I love that quote from him, all around speed is a problem the Sharks have. Unfortunately we have too many physically slow players.

Pretty sure he was responsible for our defence.

Acid08

Banned

Sorry for your loss man, stay strong and do everything you can to comfort your mom. Call her everyday and just talk with her, your love can make her feel better.

My grandma is quite ill right now, not much time left for her. 92 is a long damn life though and she has said she's ready and not afraid to go.

Heretic

Sorry to hear, buddy. my thoughts and prayers are out to you and yours =(

Edit: Also, none of these guys here care for your, Dastardly! They'd take Bobby and Teemu away in a heartbeat if they could!

Top Bottom