• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Razorskin

----- ------
Yeah, I wasn't sure of what happened at first but then when they showed it was a goal I pretty much did this in my living room:

i4LOrntsBNINZ.gif

For a second I though i saw the guy kick rocky and rocky then falls on his knees from the hit :lol

FOOTE

HUGE NEWS:

Eklund reporting:

Not sure where he's getting the news. Latest published reports say the signatures are turned in tomorrow.

Edit: UPDATE

Can't even access the webpage any more. Preemptive reporting?

Edit 2: Looks like he took it down.

Classic Eklund.
Eklund.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh my--here's the updated Eklund report:

Per Phoenix Biz Journal:

"The city of Glendale has disqualified a ballot measure aimed at blocking a proposed sales tax increase. Glendale disqualified the measure Wednesday, arguing ballot and petition language was misleading to voters. In addition, the city said there were other technical problems with the ballot measure and its campaign committee. Keeping the sales tax measure off the November ballot could be a boost to the city’s 20-year deal with prospective Phoenix Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison."

Now I'm thoroughly confused.

Sheroking

Oh my--here's the updated Eklund report:

Per Phoenix Biz Journal:

Now I'm thoroughly confused.

All Goldwater really needs to do is draw this out with litigation. It doesn't sound like the NHL will operate the Coyotes for another year.

Which is sad, given the progress the team made and an actual perspective owner.

Uppity libertarians ruin it for everyone.

All Goldwater really needs to do is draw this out with litigation. It doesn't sound like the NHL will operate the Coyotes for another year.

Which is sad, given the progress the team made and an actual perspective owner.

Uppity libertarians ruin it for everyone.

What progress has PHoenix made and how is Jamison a prospective owner when he doesn't even have the fucking money to buy the team????

Sheroking

What progress has PHoenix made and how is Jamison a prospective owner when he doesn't even have the fucking money to buy the team????

It was the most successful team Phoenix has ever had. Three rounds of playoffs, sell-outs in the playoffs, better attendance towards the end of the season.

The 20 year lease scenario is the closest Phoenix has had to a solution, and it all seems way more plausible that Phoenix could keep it's team now than it would have two years ago.

But Goldwater is Goldwater.

It's all bullshit at this point. Seems like the NHL is going to hold the relocation up to use as a bargaining chip in the CBA talks.

I can't see them waiting the season to relocate. They'll either suspend the team and hold a dispersal draft or collapse the team and hold a dispersal draft.

With Quebecor chomping at the bit for a team to go with their new Arena, they'll pay the expansion fee in two or three years.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It was the most successful team Phoenix has ever had. Three rounds of playoffs, sell-outs in the playoffs, better attendance towards the end of the season.

The 20 year lease scenario is the closest Phoenix has had to a solution, and it all seems way more plausible that Phoenix could keep it's team now than it would have two years ago.

I can't see them waiting the season to relocate. They'll either suspend the team and hold a dispersal draft or collapse the team and hold a dispersal draft.

With Quebecor chomping at the bit for a team to go with their new Arena, they'll pay the expansion fee in two or three years.

-squints eyes- Are you joining NHLGAF as the officially... Second (?) Coyotes fan or... I don't recognize your username allegiance-wise :p

On topic: Quebec > Phoenix/Glendale in every aspect, that's all I have to say.

EDIT: has there ever been a dispersal draft? It'd be a hilarious thing to have.

Sheroking

-squints eyes- Are you joining NHLGAF as the officially... Second (?) Coyotes fan or... I don't recognize your username allegiance-wise :p

On topic: Quebec > Phoenix in every aspect, that's all I have to say.

Nope, not a Coyotes fan. Just hate to see fans lose a team for bullshit political reasons.

Obviously, economically, Quebec is better for the NHL and vice versa. I would just prefer it came via expansion or complete lack of a choice.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Nope, not a Coyotes fan. Just hate to see fans lose a team for bullshit political reasons.

Obviously, economically, Quebec is better for the NHL and vice versa. I would just prefer it came via expansion or complete lack of a choice.

They're not losing a team to political reasons, they're losing it due to economical reasons. It's sad, yes, but that's how it is. Politics/the city council is the only reason this hasn't happened YET, politics is actually working AGAINST relocation.

Brah they don't even sell tickets at real value. During the regular season they can't even give tickets away to get to 50 percent capacity. ECHL teams have more expensive tickets than them. So these fans are going to show up when they have to pay full price? Jamison doesn't have the money, his brahs don't have the money, he probably doesn't even have brahs. Jamison is Gary Bettman the first's puppet.

Sheroking

They're not losing a team to political reasons, they're losing it due to economical reasons. It's sad, yes, but that's how it is. Politics/the city council is the only reason this hasn't happened YET, politics is actually working AGAINST relocation.

Eh... no, they're losing it for Goldwater's political agenda.

Phoenix has had buyers sniff around. They have a practical, if not ideal, solution tabled that might only fail because a political institute doesn't like taxes and REALLY doesn't like taxes going to something like sports.

Now, Atlanta had no choice. Their owners wanted out, but wanted to keep operating the only Arena in town, and it made any local buyer impossible. That part I get.

Eh... no, they're losing it for Goldwater's political agenda.

Phoenix has had buyers sniff around. They have a practical, if not ideal, solution tabled that might only fail because a political institute doesn't like taxes and REALLY doesn't like taxes going to something like sports.

Now, Atlanta had no choice. Their owners wanted out, but wanted to keep operating the only Arena in town, and it made any local buyer impossible. That part I get.

This issue hasn't been political until last year. NOBODY WANTS TO OWN THIS TEAM. Sniffing around eh? Sniffing all the money they'll burn from owning the Coyotes.

Sheroking

Brah they don't even sell tickets at real value. During the regular season they can't even give tickets away to get to 50 percent capacity. ECHL teams have more expensive tickets than them. So these fans are going to show up when they have to pay full price? Jamison doesn't have the money, his brahs don't have the money, he probably doesn't even have brahs. Jamison is Gary Bettman the first's puppet.

Many southern teams do not sell tickets at the same value as more successful American teams or the Canadian teams.

The solution here is Glendale paying Jamison to operate Jobbing Arena ($300M over 20 years), thus severely limiting his actual need for have the cash-in-hand. He'll be able to borrow against himself.

If, in a few years, Greg Jamison can not sustain ownership under this model, what is the negative difference? They either move the team or the team's situation has improved to the point where it becomes possible to find a better local buyer.

EDIT: I should say that I want a team in Quebec too, I just hate to see it happen at the expense of a local fanbase.

Quick

Banned
Kings won Best Upset at the ESPYs.

Matt Greene went from white as milk to red as a tomato in the span of him, Brown, and Penner walking up on stage.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Many southern teams do not sell tickets at the same value as more successful American teams or the Canadian teams.

The solution here is Glendale paying Jamison to operate Jobbing Arena ($300M over 20 years), thus severely limiting his actual need for have the cash-in-hand. He'll be able to borrow against himself.

If, in a few years, Greg Jamison can not sustain ownership under this model, what is the negative difference? They either move the team or the team's situation has improved to the point where it becomes possible to find a better local buyer.

EDIT: I should say that I want a team in Quebec too, I just hate to see it happen at the expense of a local fanbase.

Eh. We'll send all 100 of them an iced capp.

Sheroking

I've seen all the smoke about Couturier-Voracek and Rick Nash, but I can't see how Howson does that. It'd be like he dealt Rick Nash for Jack Johnson.

Marvie_3

Banned

Why the hell would Quebecor want to bid against Seattle/Markham/etc for expansion rights and then get saddled with a shitty team for several years, when they could buy a team now(possibly cheaper) and ice a somewhat competitive team now and going forward? Quebecor has a television network and the sooner they can get an NHL team to anchor the programming, the more money they can make from it.

Worst attendance in the league is a bullshit political reason? jnr pls

True, but all of the other southern teams draw a lot more fans than Phoenix does.

How is a city bankrupting itself to dump shitloads of money into subsidies for a business that has never once turned a profit a solution? What happens when Glendale has to cut even more services and people start moving out of Glendale? The city is going to be in even worse financial shape with a lower tax base to draw from and with fewer people in Glendale, there's likely to be even fewer people going to Coyotes games. Continuing to throw bad money after bad money is only going to hasten the transformation of Glendale into a place that nobody wants to live in.

There's no "if" about it. Phoenix has never turned a profit and it would take many many years for them to even come close to sniffing anything close to breaking even. Jamison doesn't have the money to buy the team in the first place so how is he going to keep the team going when they're losing tens of millions of dollars every year? Phoenix is a lost cause at this point unless there is someone as rich as Mark Cuban who has no problem pissing his fortune away to keep the Coyotes in Arizona.

The lack of anything close to a decent fanbase is why the team is in trouble in the first place.

Nice! I hope he stays healthy for you. He can be really good if he stays healthy and the coach gives him a chance.
Actually a winger lol.

Looking him up he has good skill but is injury prone. His shot looks like the reason for the signing. I definetly see him floating on the point on the PP for a set-up by Campbell. Gives the PP back the point shot we need.

There's no "if" about it. Phoenix has never turned a profit and it would take many many years for them to even come close to sniffing anything close to breaking even. Jamison doesn't have the money to buy the team in the first place so how is he going to keep the team going when they're losing tens of millions of dollars every year?

Moreover, Jamison borrowing against the team just to buy it means he/Glendale would soon be doling out massive interest payments. There's no way this deal works longterm.

And Sheroking: Goldwater is making juridical arguments, not political ones.

Sheroking

Why the hell would Quebecor want to bid against Seattle/Markham/etc for expansion rights and then get saddled with a shitty team for several years, when they could buy a team now(possibly cheaper) and ice a somewhat competitive team now and going forward? Quebecor has a television network and the sooner they can get an NHL team to anchor the programming, the more money they can make from it.

I just don't get the sense, from what people are saying, that the NHL will operate in Phoenix for this upcoming season.

If this were unfolding in January, Quebecor buying the Coyotes and moving them would make sense, but it's far too late to relocate for 12/13.

Is there even an owner in Seattle yet? Seems like early stage politicking.

Worst attendance in the league is a bullshit political reason? jnr pls

There's a local solution tabled that could work.

The only reason it's not done is because Goldwater is holding it up, for bullshit political reasons.

Attendance doesn't really factor. Which, by the way, a Blackhawks fan should know the difference between a futile team's attendance and a good teams attendance. Wouldn't shock me in the least to see the same type of jump that Chicago and Pittsburgh got if this mess wasn't hanging over the franchise.

True, but all of the other southern teams draw a lot more fans than Phoenix does.

A lot?

Last year, Dallas, Columbus and Anaheim were all within a couple thousand of Phoenix, and Phoenix was drawing a similar 14k towards the end of the season.

How is a city bankrupting itself to dump shitloads of money into subsidies for a business that has never once turned a profit a solution? What happens when Glendale has to cut even more services and people start moving out of Glendale? The city is going to be in even worse financial shape with a lower tax base to draw from and with fewer people in Glendale, there's likely to be even fewer people going to Coyotes games. Continuing to throw bad money after bad money is only going to hasten the transformation of Glendale into a place that nobody wants to live in.

I'm not a Glendale citizen, and the actual financial viability of Glendale does not concern me. Whether the solution is a good one for the citizens does not concern me. That's for them to decide. That a solution is present does.

Also, I was under the assumption that Glendale will lose more with Jobbing.com losing it's primary tennant.

There's no "if" about it. Phoenix has never turned a profit and it would take many many years for them to even come close to sniffing anything close to breaking even. Jamison doesn't have the money to buy the team in the first place so how is he going to keep the team going when they're losing tens of millions of dollars every year? Phoenix is a lost cause at this point unless there is someone as rich as Mark Cuban who has no problem pissing his fortune away to keep the Coyotes in Arizona.

There are a lot of successful teams now who only turned a profit in recent years due to a level of on-ice success restoring the faith in the business. Your Blackhawks are one such team.

Three rounds of playoff hockey, home ice advantage and great management and coaching will win you a fanbase. It just needed to happen five years ago.

The lack of anything close to a decent fanbase is why the team is in trouble in the first place.

Again, as a Blackhawks fan, I wouldn't throw stones about fanbases. It's all too easy to cultivate a fanbase in a winning environment, but some of the best fanbases now only exist because of recent successes. Chicago has history, but so do the Islanders, and look where they are right now: Not much better than Phoenix.

I believe Phoenix can be viable. I'm not a huge fan of the vitriol against the fanbase or the league for fighting of it. I think it's kind of tasteless. Anyone losing a team is something to be mourned, not celebrated.

Moreover, Jamison borrowing against the team just to buy it means he/Glendale would soon be doling out massive interest payments. There's no way this deal works longterm.

And Sheroking: Goldwater is making juridical arguments, not political ones.

They're interpreting the law in a way that many actual Judges do not agree with. That's why they lose as many cases as they do, and in fact, have lost several days in court in this mess.

It's typical libertarian politics.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Attendance doesn't really factor. Which, by the way, a Blackhawks fan should know the difference between a futile team's attendance and a good teams attendance. Wouldn't shock me in the least to see the same type of jump that Chicago and Pittsburgh got if this mess wasn't hanging over the franchise.

I know this is the NHL thread but never has the Michael Jordan laughing gif been more appropriate.

Politics in my NHL thread again. :/

sigh... Yotes need to be moved, simple as that, yeah it sucks for the few true fans they have, but overall they don't have the true support to sustain them.

Sheroking

Well, I know when I'm outgunned.

I politely disagree with your sentiments, hope the Coyotes stay in Phoenix, and hope that none of your teams fall into the same trouble.

Because at any given time, 5 or 6 teams are only a step away from stepping in it.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah I didnt want to read you essay tonight but from the quote that Plinko just posted, it looks like I saved myself tons of time.

Do you seriously think that the Phoenix situation is anywhere near comparable to Pitts and Chi years back.

#1- Both actually sold more tickets at higher prices than Phoenix did this season while being lottery teams.

2- Phoenix has been a very competative club the past 5 years compared to 2 lottery teams.

3- Its fucking Phoenix, not an original 6 team or a team with storied history and fans.

4- They have no fucking fans and thats the problem, thats it, thats all. Its not because of ownership, its not because of the club' s record, its not because their hot dogs taste like shit. Its they are located where there is noone thats gives a shit about it and thats it.

Fuck I just wrote my own essay.

Sheroking

Yeah I didnt want to read you essay tonight but from the quote that Plinko just posted, it looks like I saved myself tons of time.

Do you seriously think that the Phoenix situation is anywhere near comparable to Pitts and Chi years back.

#1- Both actually sold more tickets at higher prices than Phoenix did this season while being a lottery team.

2- Phoenix has been a very competative club the past 5 years compared to 2 lottery teams.

3- Its fucking Phoenix, not an original 6 team or a team with storied history and fans.

4- They have no fucking fans and thats the problem, thats it, thats all. Its not because of ownership, its not because of the club' s record, its not because their hot dogs taste like shit. Its they are located where there is noone thats gives a shit about it and thats it.

Fuck I just wrote my own essay.

I'm more or less done with this, but the tickets issue is not really true. I don't know about prices or comps, I haven't done that research, but both Chicago and Pittsburgh were averaging about what Phoenix does now and both dropped to lower lows than Phoenix is at right now.

Pittsburgh was at 11k in 2004. 16k after Crosby.

Chicago did 13,500, 13,500 and 12,700 from 2003-2006. Climbed to 16,800 after Kane and with a better team.

Pomp and success is universally good for attracting an audience. If you don't think that this mess isn't keeping people away, I would direct you to the clusterfuck around certain Canadian teams in the late 90's and their sellout streaks AFTER ownership situations were settled. Particularly the Oilers and the Flames.

If the history argument is that strong, look at the fluctuations with Tampa Bay and Anaheim. Or, easier to quantify, a climbing attendance that puts them well within the same range as the Ducks and Stars towards the end of the season, and sold out buildings in the playoffs.

Top Bottom