• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
I just don't get the sense, from what people are saying, that the NHL will operate in Phoenix for this upcoming season.

If this were unfolding in January, Quebecor buying the Coyotes and moving them would make sense, but it's far too late to relocate for 12/13.

Is there even an owner in Seattle yet? Seems like early stage politicking.
The NHL has had talks with a few groups in Seattle about a team but nothing will happen until an arena gets approved.

There's a local solution tabled that could work.

The only reason it's not done is because Goldwater is holding it up, for bullshit political reasons.
This solution isn't going to work. I already explained why.

As far as political things go, don't you think Glendale trying to pass the lease off as an "emergency" and trying to bypass giving voters an option to even look at it isn't some straight up bullshit politics? If this was such a great deal they wouldn't need to resort to such shady bullshit to pass it.

A lot?

Last year, Dallas, Columbus and Anaheim were all within a couple thousand of Phoenix, and Phoenix was drawing a similar 14k towards the end of the season.
So people finally started giving a shit around the playoffs? What about the other 6 months of the season when nobody went to games?

Here are some of the games I'm talking about:

Attendance figures:
10/20 vs. LA - 7,128
10/25 vs. Dallas - 6,948
10/27 vs New Jersey - 7,434
11/3 vs Nashville - 6,738

Keep in mind these are the "announced" attendance figures which include all the tickets given away and don't represent the actual number of people in the building. After making the playoffs 2 straight years, attendance figures like this are an absolute joke, owner or no owner. Phoenix also ran with hugely discounted ticket prices towards the end of the season and were pretty much giving away playoff tickets.

I'm not a Glendale citizen, and the actual financial viability of Glendale does not concern me. Whether the solution is a good one for the citizens does not concern me. That's for them to decide. That a solution is present does.
The financial viability of Glendale should concern you because it plays heavily into the Coyotes staying there.

Also, I was under the assumption that Glendale will lose more with Jobbing.com losing it's primary tennant.
Sounds like someone has been reading the fraudulent studies that were presented to the Glendale city council......

I believe Phoenix can be viable. I'm not a huge fan of the vitriol against the fanbase or the league for fighting of it. I think it's kind of tasteless. Anyone losing a team is something to be mourned, not celebrated.
So you don't think the league demanding huge cash payouts from a city that was already in deep financial trouble isn't deserving of criticism? Glendale has had to cut fire and police services to pay for this shit which puts people's fucking life in danger. I'd say the league deserves every bad word that gets said about it.

Sheroking

The NHL has had talks with a few groups in Seattle about a team but nothing will happen until an arena gets approved.

This solution isn't going to work. I already explained why.

As far as political things go, don't you think Glendale trying to pass the lease off as an "emergency" and trying to bypass giving voters an option to even look at it isn't some straight up bullshit politics? If this was such a great deal they wouldn't need to resort to such shady bullshit to pass it.

Avoiding a costly referendum on an issue of second-tier public interest isn't an uncommon thing for municipalities. It's not the ideal, but it's the norm. Happened where I am over an airport closing last year.

If Goldwater gets the signatures, there will be a referendum. Problem is, it won't get that far. The Jamison deal will fall apart because the NHL likely won't wait another season.

So people finally started giving a shit around the playoffs? What about the other 6 months of the season when nobody went to games?

Here are some of the games I'm talking about:

Attendance figures:
10/20 vs. LA - 7,128
10/25 vs. Dallas - 6,948
10/27 vs New Jersey - 7,434
11/3 vs Nashville - 6,738

Keep in mind these are the "announced" attendance figures which include all the tickets given away and don't represent the actual number of people in the building. After making the playoffs 2 straight years, attendance figures like this are an absolute joke, owner or no owner. Phoenix also ran with hugely discounted ticket prices towards the end of the season and were pretty much giving away playoff tickets.

Owner or no owner is the bit I take issue with.

There is demonstrative history to back up ownership issues and publicity issues causing attendance woes. Why would you spend money on a team, get invested in a team that's not going to be there in a year?

See Edmonton circa 1996-1998 and the Peter Pocklington fiasco.

How else would you explain just under 15k attendance in Phoenix during their worst years and 12k after one summer of ownership issues.... are you saying Moyes comped that many seats and the NHL didn't?

The financial viability of Glendale should concern you because it plays heavily into the Coyotes staying there.

If the deal is not viable, or fails to be viable several years into the process, all that's going to happen is a move. Which, great, now Quebec has an Arena and Seattle might be on the way to having one.

At least the arrangement gives them the opportunity to succeed in the short term while removing none of the possibilities of a move. Now, you can say that you see no possibility of success, but again, what's the downside? If you're a citizen of Glendale, I can see making the argument on financial grounds, but with no skin in the game, there is no downside.

Unless you're concerned about league revenue and holding back the cap, which probably won't be a thing with the new CBA anyway.
Sounds like someone has been reading the fraudulent studies that were presented to the Glendale city council......

So you don't think the league demanding huge cash payouts from a city that was already in deep financial trouble isn't deserving of criticism? Glendale has had to cut fire and police services to pay for this shit which puts people's fucking life in danger. I'd say the league deserves every bad word that gets said about it.

Again, politics. I couldn't care less. If the people do not want this, they will act on it. Goldwater will get their signatures and the City will lose the referendum, or would if the referendum would actually matter.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
YCfqe.gif

NOTHING GIVES YOU THAT RIGHT!

You are dead to me Coldplay!

For sure, it was a terrible finish for the Leafs and a good year for the Sens. Doesn't mean it will happen again. It could, but I wouldn't bet on it either way.

Oh I agree, anything can happen.

All things considered I like the chances, can't ask for more at this stage.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"I don't think we need a whole bunch of guys," Holland said at Wednesday's Hockeytown Winter Classic press conference. "I think if we can get one more player, (we'll be fine)."

Source: Mlive.com

Oh, Ken. Master of denial.

Source: Mlive.com

Oh, Ken. Master of denial.

Depends on the player though, of course he doesn't want to go out and say yeah we need a lot of work because that could drive up trade prices knowing he is desperate and what not along with other things. Our bottom 6 depth this year is going to be really good along with our goaltending, if we could grab a top 6 guy that would be great. Of course we do need to fix our D badly, if we can't get a top 4 guy or something I wouldn't mind getting some more D-depth as that could help us greatly.

Edit: Looks like Holland is about to be on WJR Detroit here within the hour, going to be interesting to see what he has to say.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Depends on the player though, of course he doesn't want to go out and say yeah we need a lot of work because that could drive up trade prices knowing he is desperate and what not along with other things. Our bottom 6 depth this year is going to be really good along with our goaltending, if we could grab a top 6 guy that would be great. Of course we do need to fix our D badly, if we can't get a top 4 guy or something I wouldn't mind getting some more D-depth as that could help us greatly.

Edit: Looks like Holland is about to be on WJR Detroit here within the hour, going to be interesting to see what he has to say.

Yeah, I get what he's saying and why he's saying it, but let's be honest--we need a lot more than one player. No way we can expect to win with that defensive crew on the ice. Plus, we need a pure goal-scorer badly.

If you could sum up what he says on WJR I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, I get what he's saying and why he's saying it, but let's be honest--we need a lot more than one player. No way we can expect to win with that defensive crew on the ice. Plus, we need a pure goal-scorer badly.

If you could sum up what he says on WJR I'd appreciate it.

Yup, I'll try, he is on right after the break here, so I'll take mental notes.

Revenant

What if Holland just came to the podium clutching the suter jersey he had ready, tears just flowing down his cheeks...walks to the mic and stammers " I'm so sorry" befor sobbing uncontrollably into the jersey. For like 30 minutes.

In reality hes gotta maintain that poker face. Of course the red wings are fine!

Ken Holland quick and dirty summary from his WJR interview.

1. We feel good about our forwards and have about 14 under contract now.
2. Looking for a different look up front on forward to help out (so they aren't done looking at forwards upfront and want to improve that).
3. We are certainly looking for different options on the back end as well though Quincey and Smith will help soften the blow, but they still want to improve it.
4. Very happy with our goaltending and are done in that area.
5. Doan will wait until next week to start taking offers, have had a couple conversations with his agent and will see where it goes.
6. Detroit and Minny were the only teams to have an audience with Suter. :(
7. They are in a little bit of a transition, getting younger, mentioned the 20 year run, and eventually we will have a big name sign here soon if we start developing our younger guys.
8. They like that they have cap space and it allows them to make a run a player at a certain time (sounded more like trading).
9. Think Smith is ready to play regularly at the NHL level.
10. ROSTER IS NOT DONE! Think they can make a move or 2 before the Summer is over. (this is very nice to hear and sounded like that could be free agents and/or trades.
11. There are a few free agents still available that they like and they have been somewhat active with talking with other teams with trade talks at the moment.

That is about it, sounded good, brought my hopes up a little, the Doan talk didn't sound too positive but we shall see and I liked how he said we aren't done and can expect another move or two before the start of next year. There was also some Winter Classic talk and that they have a lot of guys who want to play for the alumni games but are making sure they have their schedules open first.

What if Holland just came to the podium clutching the suter jersey he had ready, tears just flowing down his cheeks...walks to the mic and stammers " I'm so sorry" befor sobbing uncontrollably into the jersey. For like 30 minutes.

In reality hes gotta maintain that poker face. Of course the red wings are fine!

We will trade you Holland for Toews, Kane, and Keith. You get to keep Bowman. We'll just promote Jim Nill.

Revenant

Come ooooooon. Semin and Doan need to make a decision soon to make this summer more exciting.

Seriously. Feels like this has been a massive case of blue balls this summer for most teams.

Next week we will be waiting on chris campioli. Then the market will really heat up!

Heretic

The fanboy in me could not stop laughing at this video lol. I was almost in tears! Man, goes to show how bad this offseason has been. This was glorious news!

Well maybe if Teemu didn't have a car port full of import sports cars then he wouldn't need to keep working after retirement to pay them off! GOSH TEEMU, THINK THESE THINGS THROUGH WILLYA!

Top Bottom