• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How's everyone's wallets so far with the Steam Sale?

I'm currently only out $2.50.

I'm out... ohgod. I bought 5 games and none of them are even on my 23-games-spanning wishlist. Seriously. and it's not like I don't own enough games already, no, for the community votes I own 2 out of the 3 games already most of the times. I just keep clicking buy for some reason.

Toews woulda killed it with 40+ goals easily.

I'm out a whole $5 on the Steam sale.

I knew there was a reason why I'd held off on getting Portal 2 for so long.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
25 wingers had 30+ goals last season. I always thought it was because the snipers and goal scorers were usually wingers while most centers are either twf or playmakers.
I expected more wingers then centers to hit 30, just surprised it's such exclusive company in the 30 G - Center club, even with Toews included.

Marvie_3

Banned
iK2xLfosAtXGO.gif

Glendale business group files lawsuit vs. sales-tax hike

A business group aiming to overturn Glendale's 0.7 percent sales-tax hike filed a lawsuit against the city Friday, claiming it rejected petition documents "based on several misinterpretations of the law."

Last week, Save Glendale Now submitted 4,138 signatures to the city in an attempt to reverse the sales-tax increase approved by the City Council. About 2,100 are required to get on the ballot.

The city rejected the signatures and accompanying documents Wednesday.

City Clerk Pam Hanna and City Attorney Craig Tindall said the group made several errors in its submission. They say the summary submitted with Save Glendale Now's petition was misleading and that the group failed to include a serial number in its name and did not comply with a requirement to turn in signatures four months before the city's Aug. 28 election.

In a statement released Friday, Save Glendale Now Chairman Rod Williams said he is "outraged that two unelected officials, the city clerk and the city attorney, would attempt to trample on the rights of every Glendale citizen to exercise his or her initiative rights as enshrined in the Arizona Constitution."

Dave Kimmerle, president of Sanderson Ford and Save Glendale Now leader, said it's "amusing" that Tindall believes voters were misled.

"Every petition circulated contained the full text of the initiative for every voter to read," he said in the statement. "It doesn't take a law degree to read the initiative and understand what it does."

Tindall said earlier this week that the 100-word summary submitted with the petition suggested the initiative, if approved by voters, would reverse the city's sales-tax increase set to take effect next month. But initiatives do not act retroactively, he said.

Save Glendale Now Treasurer Connie Wilhelm said the group "fully complied" with all constitutional and statutory requirements for putting an initiative on the ballot.

The council approved the sales-tax hike in June to raise more than $20 million to help close a $35 million budget shortfall.

The increased revenue would help the city pay this year's $17 million arena-management fee to potential Phoenix Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison.

The anti-tax group filed its complaint in Maricopa County Superior Court. It is unclear at this point when the case will go before a judge.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Can we just send the coyotes to quebec city right now please... Ughh Why is pheonix such an important market for that dumbass bettman.
And hurt their 3000 strong fan base!?
Reason is he wants to grow the game, makes him look bad to flip flop at this point after doing so much, helps the impression that he'll fight to keep the team in any city, and he is just one stubborn mofo.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@DarrenDreger: I understand the frustration and emotion, but all signs have been pointing to a work stoppage for months. The threat is now real."

Ah great. Looks like I might have to resort to some AHL subscription come October for my hockey fix.

Reason is he wants to grow the game, makes him look bad to flip flop at this point after doing so much, helps the impression that he'll fight to keep the team in any city, and he is just one stubborn mofo.

At this point it's moreso wanting to exhaust every single possible option before calling it quits, that way he can say "at least we tried everything" instead of just, y'know, being logical and quitting while you're ahead.

How can you forget Alexei Yashin, Alexander Radulov and Hossa?

And Dan Ellis.

I win. I'm out $2.49. I bought The Bard's Tale.

owned.

edit: someone on TF2 gifted me Ass Creed: Rev because I asked. They just fucking gave it to me. I was like "what? ok! YOU ROCK"

did uncle dstrdly's sister win yet?

You dont mean the old Bard Tales games that were on Commodore 64 right? I tried for years to find a way to play Bards tale 3, my C64 broke before I finished that game and I never got to. Man I wish someone would put those games up on some service.

He moved Atlanta to Winnipeg at the drop of a hat though.

It's still weird to me that there are 7 Canadian teams.

It will be stranger when there are 9!

Back to Bettman & Phoenix, of course this has been said ad nauseam, but with Seattle, Markham and Quebec all gearing up to build NHL-ready arenas, there is simply no point for the Coyotes to be moved at the present time. Better (from Bettman's eye) to keep the team around until there are 3 serious buyers, whom he can squeeze extra millions from.

'Course Seattle will get a cut price deal, which is fine by me. Victoria Clipper trips ahoy!

Marvie_3

Banned
It will be stranger when there are 9!

Back to Bettman & Phoenix, of course this has been said ad nauseam, but with Seattle, Markham and Quebec all gearing up to build NHL-ready arenas, there is simply no point for the Coyotes to be moved at the present time. Better (from Bettman's eye) to keep the team around until there are 3 serious buyers, whom he can squeeze extra millions from.

'Course Seattle will get a cut price deal, which is fine by me. Victoria Clipper trips ahoy!
The higher price for the team isn't going to makeup for the losses the team is going to take on until all 3 markets are ready.

Alucard

Banned
I'm no financial doctor, but it seems to me like it's kind of dumb to keep a franchise in a city where the team is guaranteed to lose money.

Solo

Fuck I hate the greed from all parties in pro sports. Strike/lockout only hurts the fans, no one else. Fuck you NHL, fuck you NHLPA.

Marvie_3

Banned
That's a good point, Marvie_3. I wonder what Marvie_4 thinks about this:
There's a difference, idiot. Both the NHL and NHLPA have leverage in their negotiations. Gillis doesn't have any leverage if he wants to move Luongo. Either Gillis takes back a shit package from Florida or he's stuck with him.

Tabris

Gillis doesn't have any leverage if he wants to move Luongo. Either Gillis takes back a shit package from Florida or he's stuck with him.

Gillis does have leverage. He may just need to wait until December before that leverage. There's teams out there that need goaltenders that can't afford another shitty season (i.e. Toronto). When those teams become desperate is when Gillis has leverage. Unless we get Doan, there's no motivation to move Luongo right away except the possible "negative effect on locker room".

Socreges

Banned
There's a difference, idiot. Both the NHL and NHLPA have leverage in their negotiations. Gillis doesn't have any leverage if he wants to move Luongo. Either Gillis takes back a shit package from Florida or he's stuck with him.
Always so angry. Marvie_4 perfectly puts you in your place. I thought you'd be receptive to him.

You open with ridiculous demands, as Marvie_4 astutely pointed out, and as Gillis did weeks ago. If you go after "players/picks/prospects that [you are actually] going to get", you're not doing your job. Then you work toward them and hope that they bump that '3rd rd pick' offer to a tantalizing 2nd.

Top Bottom