• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Amazon now offering a 15 dollar credit with NHL 13. retail price of course is $60

With the New online Franchise/ GAF league and of course are EASHL team now is the time to join in on the infuriating cycle of EA sports games.

Catch the Disease!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FTE33O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Online GM Connected!!!! Still angry at the draft and free agency handling for the online mode. :(

I just noticed they had Lidstrom in one of the preview videos. double :(

Marvie_3

Banned
Gillis does have leverage. He may just need to wait until December before that leverage. There's teams out there that need goaltenders that can't afford another shitty season (i.e. Toronto). When those teams become desperate is when Gillis has leverage. Unless we get Doan, there's no motivation to move Luongo right away except the possible "negative effect on locker room".
He still doesn't have any leverage because Luongo has a NTC and has already turned down Toronto.

Always so angry.
Your bullshit deserves all the hostility that is directed at it.

You open with ridiculous demands, as Marvie_4 astutely pointed out, and as Gillis did weeks ago. If you go after "players/picks/prospects that [you are actually] going to get", you're not doing your job. Then you work toward them and hope that they bump that '3rd rd pick' offer to a tantalizing 2nd.
Once again, Gillis is in no position to make demands. Everyone knows he needs/wants to dump Luongo and there's only one place Luongo wants to go. Florida has no reason to increase their offer. Gillis can try to squeeze more out of Tallon all he wants but Tallon is just going to laugh and hang up the phone.

Cake Boss

Banned
ibcZp6fAXcAf4F.png

Vermette getting prepared for the move.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
He still doesn't have any leverage because Luongo has a NTC and has already turned down Toronto.

Your bullshit deserves all the hostility that is directed at it.

Once again, Gillis is in no position to make demands. Everyone knows he needs/wants to dump Luongo and there's only one place Luongo wants to go. Florida has no reason to increase their offer. Gillis can try to squeeze more out of Tallon all he wants but Tallon is just going to laugh and hang up the phone.

Yeaaaaah no, I'm pretty sure he hasn't turned down any teams with 100% certainty (except Columbus)

Socreges

Banned
You're taking current information and projecting it backwards in time. We're talking about when they started talking weeks ago. Any GM worth his salt would open high and paint a rosy picture (we've got options!). Unfortunately leaks/rumours and Luongo himself have since undermined that. Fortunately Gillis can afford to be patient and see if things change. Meanwhile he'll probably keep the price artificially high.

Socreges

Banned
Yeaaaaah no, I'm pretty sure he hasn't turned down any teams with 100% certainty (except Columbus)
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...ates+obvious+wants+Florida/6895759/story.html (July 8th)

Haven't since heard anything that's contradicted this:

The Canucks, as has been reported in The Province, haven't been close enough to a trade to ask Luongo whether he'd waive his no-trade. But there have been suggestions he refused to waive his no-trade to go to Toronto.

"To be honest, I haven't had much contact with Mike (Gillis)," Luongo said. "He keeps me updated once in a while. Im sure once something is close to happening, that's when I'll have to make a decision.

"But for right now, honestly, I haven't made any decisions whatsoever."

He admitted what everyone knows — he'd go to Florida. He said there's a few teams he's willing to looking at and danced around a question about the Chicago Blackhawks, sounding aroused with the idea.

"I like that song, it's catchy," Luongo quipped when asked about Chelsea Dagger. "I heard it seven times in one game."

"There are a lot of cities that are great to play in and Chicago is definitely one of them," Luongo said. "But I think you've got to realize that it works both ways. There's not only me involved in this decision, there's also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested and if the team (Canucks) would be interested in trading me there and if I'd be willing to go there. It's more than just me that has to decide where I want to go."

Cactus

Banned
A reliable goaltender is what the Leafs needed last season and probably what they'll need this season. As much as Luongo would help, though, there's no way Burke will pay the rumoured asking price. I would have no problem giving up a good roster player like MacArthur or Franson along with a salary dump (Lombardi or Connolly) and a 2nd or prospect, but if the Gardiner+1st rumour is true, Gillis can go to hell.

He wants a "hockey deal," sure, but my guess is that going into the season with $10m tied to goaltending is something that he'll want to avoid.

Smiley90

A reliable goaltender is what the Leafs needed last season and probably what they'll need this season. As much as Luongo would help, though, there's no way Burke will pay the rumoured asking price. I would have no problem giving up a good roster player like MacArthur or Franson along with a salary dump (Lombardi or Connolly) and a 2nd or prospect, but if the Gardiner+1st rumour is true, Gillis can go to hell.

He wants a "hockey deal," sure, but my guess is that going into the season with $10m tied to goaltending is something that he'll want to avoid.

If Toronto is in 8th/9th at the trade deadline with a clearly bad goaltender, do you think they'd wanna trade for Luongo more intensively then, seeing how they could make the playoffs?

Cactus

Banned
If Toronto is in 8th/9th at the trade deadline with a clearly bad goaltender, do you think they'd wanna trade for Luongo more intensively then, seeing how they could make the playoffs?

Backstrom or Nabokov would probably be more realistic targets at the deadline if the Leafs still need goaltending help. I don't think Gillis will wait that long, though. Luongo's trade value will dwindle if he's kept as a backup.

Cactus

Banned
What is a "hockey deal/trade"?

A player(s) for player(s) trade that both GM's believe will help their own respective hockey team.

Schenn for JVR, for example, was a hockey trade (not sure if bruce will agree with me here, though) while Campbell for Olesz was not.

I would have no problem if Burke traded a good roster player as part of a deal for Luongo, but I personally think it's unrealistic for Gillis to expect full value.

Could work to Crosby's advantage too. Fewer games equals fewer chances of getting injured. Pens Cup victory confirmed.

This actually works to the Hurricanes' advantage. They have been a notoriously horrible team from Oct-Dec while being top 10 from Jan-April. So if we just start the season Jan, they're golden.

Socreges

Banned
I wonder how they have these conversations in the NBA.

Bulls GM: "Hey Joseph. I'm interested in making a fair trade."
Knicks GM: "Fair? Wha-...what does that mean? I'm not familiar with that word."
Bulls GM: "A hockey trade. Let's make a hockey trade."
Knicks GM: "Why didn't you just say that then."

Cake Boss

Banned
I always laugh whenever I see the NBA draft happening, what is the point if you dont have the #1 pick, you will barely find anyone that could make an impact after the first pick.

Seeing how all the star players are all going to one team and basically making it a 4 team league. What is the point if your not drafting a generational talent. The parity in that league is such horse shit.

/ rant end

A player(s) for player(s) trade that both GM's believe will help their own respective hockey team.

Schenn for JVR, for example, was a hockey trade (not sure if bruce will agree with me here, though) while Campbell for Olesz was not.

I would have no problem if Burke traded a good roster player as part of a deal for Luongo, but I personally think it's unrealistic for Gillis to expect full value.

Schenn for JVR was a hockey trade. Just a shitty one. You're trading players with similar cap hits which the teams valued equally in terms of developmental potential.

Tabris

Important 2012-2013 Canuck game dates (assuming season starts on schedule):

Nov 3rd - Montreal @ Vancouver
Nov 8th - Vancouver @ Los Angeles
Nov 13th - Florida @ Vancouver (Welcome back Luongo?)
Nov 15th - Chicago @ Vancouver (Duncan Keith going to get roughed up)
Dec 13th - Toronto @ Vancouver (24/7)
Dec 29th - Boston @ Vancouver (Going to be a blood bath)
Feb 2nd - Chicago @ Vancouver (I will be front row jeering Duncan Keith entire game)
Feb 17th - Los Angeles @ Vancouver
Jun 12th-ish - Canucks Stanley Cup Parade

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Feb 2nd - Chicago @ Vancouver (I will be front row jeering Duncan Keith entire game)

July 14th - day dopeyfish has an aneurysm reading a ridiculously stupid post

*collapses*

Should be legendary:

pil.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Could work to Crosby's advantage too. Fewer games equals fewer chances of getting injured. Pens Cup victory confirmed.

It's going to be more than a 10-game season, so no.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
He moved Atlanta to Winnipeg at the drop of a hat though.

different situations...and yeah, he fought tooth and nail to keep pens in pitts (i still call shenanigans on that fucking draft for crosby...it should've been equal chances for all teams).

I do wonder which team will be next though. Atlanta did seem very sudden whereas the Yotes seem to be stubbornly hanging on. I want to say Dallas or NJ with the ownership issues there, but I think those are markets he's gonna fight to keep there til the bitter end.

Everyone keeps talking about another Ontario team or Quebec...are there no other markets in BC?

different situations...and yeah, he fought tooth and nail to keep pens in pitts (i still call shenanigans on that fucking draft for crosby...it should've been equal chances for all teams).

I do wonder which team will be next though. Atlanta did seem very sudden whereas the Yotes seem to be stubbornly hanging on. I want to say Dallas or NJ with the ownership issues there, but I think those are markets he's gonna fight to keep there til the bitter end.

Everyone keeps talking about another Ontario team or Quebec...are there no other markets in BC?

How do we have ownership issues brah?

Smiley90

Go to the Cambie, unless you're already at the Cambie. And tell Crystal I said hi.

After going to the Roxy two days ago, I'm taking the rest of the week off.

No. Cambie is... No. It's cheap in every aspect of the word, for better or worse.

RC

Banned
No. Cambie is... No. It's cheap in every aspect of the word, for better or worse.

Without a doubt. I don't know of any good places to recommend, since my friends always drag me to the crappy ones.
The Met has a Street Fighter vs. X-Men arcade machine but lacks the pee stained charm of the Cambie.

Smiley90

Without a doubt. I don't know of any good places to recommend, since my friends always drag me to the crappy ones.
The Met has a Street Fighter vs. X-Men arcade machine.

Ceili's used to be my go-to spot, but it's sooo busy. Instead i'm now in the most hipster place in the history of hipster places, christ.

Top Bottom