• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Flyers are well under the cap now though, and none of us knows if Couturier will keep developing. For as many player peak in their 20's I bet a lot more players have shown potential early in their career and then never lived up to it. Bobby Ryan is a sure thing, and clearly the better player at this point.

Heretic

These rumors are older than the redwings players combined and i'm tired of hearing them.

If he's going to get traded, just trade him already. The Anaheim organization has done nothing to show that they want me as a fan. It's tough coming to GAF and knowing that if something goes wrong, my nerves are on the chopping block.

How about that Luongo and Nash, eh!? EH!?

Curufinwe

Better scorer, not better player.

Giving up on the top 8 pick in the draft after the season he just had as a teenager would be insane. INSANE.

vlcsnap-4937-300x221.png

Better scorer, not better player.

Giving up on the top 8 pick in the draft after the season he just had as a teenager would be insane. INSANE.

I do get that but I think the Flyers might have a legit shot at winning a cup this year, if there is a year, and I think Ryan would definitely help them more this year. It is also not like Ryan is an old guy or anything.

I do get that but I think the Flyers might have a legit shot at winning a cup this year, if there is a year, and I think Ryan would definitely help them more this year. It is also not like Ryan is an old guy or anything.

We don't need a scorer. Couturier is actually more valuable as a PLAYER than Ryan right now.

Curufinwe

They needed Couturier to keep Malkin in check in the first round. And they couldn't score against the Devils because their defense and coaching were so bad they couldn't even beat the forecheck and get the puck out of their own zone.

Jagr had 19 goals. I think Fedotenko will get 15 if he plays a full season.

Cake Boss

Banned
These rumors are older than the redwings players combined and i'm tired of hearing them.

If he's going to get traded, just trade him already. The Anaheim organization has done nothing to show that they want me as a fan. It's tough coming to GAF and knowing that if something goes wrong, my nerves are on the chopping block.

How about that Luongo and Nash, eh!? EH!?

Dont worry I almost went insane too when I knew that our 50 goal guy wanted out. Yeah the first step is denial then rage theb acceptance that you will get a cheechoo back in the trade. In your case then its Lilja.

Man I have been trying to block them resiging Rusty from my mind. I will hate that fucker for ever for that game 7. I do agree that a huge part of their problems last year were due to the defense and goaltending. I am hoping both will be improved this year though, but I am worried that the offense is going to take a step back.

Flyers could have used some scorers against the Devils last year. They also will have to try to replace Jagrs goals.

The assumption is your younger players start to produce more...

And they didn't need more scorers against the Devils. Scoring less goals than your opponent doesn't automatically mean you have to score more goals... You could have just stopped more.

They don't necessarily need to reproduce Jagr's goals from last year. Flyers were at the top of the league in goals scored. You don't need to be that high to win. They can afford to drop off a little if they can keep the puck out of the net.

Heretic

Dont worry I almost went insane too when I knew that our 50 goal guy wanted out. Yeah the first step is denial then rage theb acceptance that you will get a cheechoo back in the trade. In your case then its Lilja.

Except in this case he doesn't want out. He's just tired of hearing about all of the trade rumors. And hell, they're not even coming from Anaheim. The Ducks aren't shopping him. He needs to show a little more maturity and keep his mouth closed.

I would hate to be in a big hockey market. So much deflection is tiring...

Just looked back at the 2007 draft, and the Leafs had no picks in the first two rounds. When you look at the drafts in the past 10 years, it's not surprising that the Leafs are as bad as they have been. Trading picks, and prospects/young players for nothing. At least when Burke traded for Kessel he got a great young player back.

Anyways, Tyler Biggs is going to play in the OHL this year (most likely, but can play in the AHL too). It's going to be like taking the leash off the pitbull. Hopefully, he begins to live up to his offensive potential also.

Solo

Except in this case he doesn't want out. He's just tired of hearing about all of the trade rumors. And hell, they're not even coming from Anaheim. The Ducks aren't shopping him. He needs to show a little more maturity and keep his mouth closed.

Still in the denial phase? Hrtc pls

Cactus

Banned
Just looked back at the 2007 draft, and the Leafs had no picks in the first two rounds. When you look at the drafts in the past 10 years, it's not surprising that the Leafs are as bad as they have been. Trading picks, and prospects/young players for nothing. At least when Burke traded for Kessel he got a great young player back.

Anyways, Tyler Biggs is going to play in the OHL this year (most likely, but can play in the AHL too). It's going to be like taking the leash off the pitbull. Hopefully, he begins to live up to his offensive potential also.

Even though their early picks were all traded JFJ and his scouts actually did a pretty good job in the 2007 draft. Two out of the six picks are or will be NHL regulars, which is a pretty high percentage for one draft year. Gunnarsson (pick #194) would probably be picked in the top 15 or 20 if the draft were redone today.

Cake Boss

Banned

Yeah you're still in denial, lol almost every single analyst/reporter out there has said that Anaheim is the one thats putting him on the block to see what they could get for him. And I don't blame him for being pissed, I'll be pissed too. But it is Anaheim's fault, the sooner you get that through, the easier it would be on you when he gets dealt.

Heretic

Yeah you're still in denial, lol almost every single analyst/reporter out there has said that Anaheim is the one thats putting him on the block to see what they could get for him. And I don't blame him for being pissed, I'll be pissed too. But it is Anaheim's fault, the sooner you get that through, the easier it would be on you when he gets dealt.
I'd be pissed too but I'd rather believe Anaheim or even Icemancometh before I believe analyst.

And someone please avatar that image for me!

Edit: I'm on my phone so if that link is a link to the avatar sized version, is it possible to get a little more detail in there???

CREMSteve

Green got 6 a year for 3 years.

Not bad considering the Carle deal.

Pretty much everyone here vilified the Flames for signing Wideman to a 5.25M deal.

Since then, Carle, Garrison, Suter and now Green have either signed for comparable or higher numbers.

Is the general consensus still that Wideman is overpaid? I agree these are crazy numbers to be throwing around for a defenceman, but it seems pretty in line with the going rate these days.

Socreges

Banned
Hawks reportedly offered Bolland for Luongo.

:lol
Sauce?

Sounds like the perfect joke rumour

Pretty much everyone here vilified the Flames for signing Wideman to a 5.25M deal.

Since then, Carle, Garrison, Suter and now Green have either signed for comparable or higher numbers.

Is the general consensus still that Wideman is overpaid? I agree these are crazy numbers to be throwing around for a defenceman, but it seems pretty in line with the going rate these days.
Wideman is not as good defensively as those players. Except Mike Green, who's signed for just 3 years (also overpaid, though).

Kifimbo

Nicklas Lidstrom never made more than $7.6 million since the lockout. Every one of these guys, Carle, Garrison, Green and yes even Suter, is overpaid. It's only "in line" with madness.

Socreges

Banned
This report of a Bolland offer from the Blackhawks comes to us from Canucks beat writer Jason Botchford, so I presume that this was a Canucks-side leak. Scuttlebutt always needs to be taken with a substantial heaping of salt, this bit of information could've been made public in part to help set the market, or to put pressure on other pursuers. Hell, it could've been leaked just to mess with Dave Bolland's head during his summer vacation. Even Botchford cautions us not to "believe it" until we "see it."
If I had any access to the Canucks and could leak fake information, Luongo for Bolland is exactly what I'd say. For the attention and responses it could get.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently Pavelec got hit with a DUI in Czech Republic, no doubt having fun with all that new contract money.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Green asked for 2 years and McPhee wanted 3. He's not looking to trade him.

There is a pretty good chance we're going to get Poti'd again. I'm hoping it is true that he has overcome his injury issues because he can be a great player. For some reason people think his defense is still terrible when it's not anymore.

rellix

There is a pretty good chance we're going to get Poti'd again. I'm hoping it is true that he has overcome his injury issues because he can be a great player. For some reason people think his defense is still terrible when it's not anymore.

The majority of people who think his defense is poor either live in Canada or Pittsburgh. It's in their best interest to rag on on reputations and nothing more. The Poti situation is a bit of an aberration. The only similarity is that they've both been sidelined by groin issues in the past.

In Poti's case, they just couldn't figure out what was causing the problem and have no solution. Green has gotten surgery for his problems and is ready to go. Some of his injuries are his own fault (leaving himself vulnerable against the boards in his own end) but some just from pure shitty luck ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTA_tZqE9uQ ).

If the Caps do get "Poti'd" again.. well.. it doesn't really matter. Those contracts don't count against the cap, and (correct me if I'm wrong) insurance pays most of the salary.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if we have more bad luck and Green gets hurt again right after a new contract like Poti.

http://capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work.php

Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team's overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player's salary pushes the team's cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap (less the amount of payroll room the team had at the time the LTIR transaction took place), not the entire amount of the injured player's salary

rellix

Okay? If your team is at the cap then you get the full salary in room to spend. If you're not at the cap then it has absolutely no bearing and doesn't matter since you have room.

Top Bottom