• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Socreges

Banned
A full lockout would be terrible for the Canucks. Players exiting prime, poor prospect pool, good contracts ending, and a long summer of rest and rehab wasted.

And most importantly, an entire fucking year without hockey. But hey the shitty teams can only get better, so bring it on!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If we get a full lockout I wonder how the beer companies will top themselves with their commercials this time.

Or which fringe "sport" will rise up to fill the void in the states. Last time it was texas hold'em.

MacAttack

A full lockout would be terrible for the Canucks. Players exiting prime, poor prospect pool, good contracts ending, and a long summer of rest and rehab wasted.

And most importantly, an entire fucking year without hockey. But hey the shitty teams can only get better, so bring it on!

As a Bruins fan I feel like it would be a waste of a potentially great year for the team. Team is still young and they still have leverage with their restricted free agents but they are right in the middle of their window and it would be a shame to see them lose a year.

Fuck the lockout.

Cake Boss

Banned
LOL I just saw the Green contract. Oh man Feaster got out fisted by Mcphee on giving out horrible contracts.

I would rather give that contract to Semin than Green, at least Semin plays more than 40games for you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That makes sense but if the CBA drags on into the season there is no way they will be able to move the team then. They are going to be forced to play another season in Arizona.

And the NHL is on the hook for another $40 million in losses.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No high end blue chip prospects, there that was easy. Please ask me more questions while I am eating these fries, they seem to need a bit more salt, I could use some.

LOL. Wrong.

Marvie_3

Banned
Blackhawks hired Jamie Kompon as their other assistant coach.

Chris Kuc @ChrisKuc
Scouting report on Jamie Kompon from someone who would know:" utterly incompetent in handling the power play." #Blackhawks

Another Quenneville crony. Fucking awesome. Quenneville is going to get fired this year. No doubt about it.

Plinko

Blackhawks hired Jamie Kompon as their other assistant coach.

Another Quenneville crony. Fucking awesome.

Hey! 2 teams in the Central who can't run the power play! Welcome to the club.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Once our team stops making the playoffs I'll believe it.

So, next offseason.
I was referring to Cake Boss posts, Wings have a lot of elite prospects, people just refuse to believe it because of the "LOL you're all old and don't draft in the first 5 rounds".

Plinko

I was referring to Cake Boss posts, Wings have a lot of elite prospects, people just refuse to believe it because of the "LOL you're all old and don't draft in the first 5 rounds".

Well, that's the thing.

More than half our guys are European and stashed away in Swedish leagues. We have the best European scouts in the league. People just don't see these guys as often as they do the guys in the North American leagues.

Plinko

BUT THOSE HUGE NETS!!!!

I find it funny that I made one comment about widening the nets being a possibility of something they could do to increase scoring (and, yes, has been talked about at those meetings for years) and that translates in your mind to "Plinko wants gigantic nets in the NHL."

As I said before--I'd MUCH rather them, in order of preference:

1) Reduce goalie equipment size
2) Widen the ice surface to European levels to get rid of the damn trap (I know, it will never happen due to the way the arenas are built)
3) Widen the nets slightly

Cake Boss

Banned

Yeah ok I probably know more about their prospects than you do about your own, only till last month you started jacking off at every 18 yeard old hockey player that was drafted by the Habs. I never said that Detroit never had any good prospects , I believe and many others do that they shouldnt be ranked top 5 like that site has. Their best prospect right now is a toss up between Jarnkok which was Silfverbergs center last season, Smith their dman and Nyquist which looked really good last season. They have good depth but no high end ones with high upside you need to be in top 5 like a Granlund, Huberdeau, Strome, Zibenejad, Taransenko etc.

/ drop mic.

Ignorance sure is bliss.

cube444

LOL I just saw the Green contract. Oh man Feaster got out fisted by Mcphee on giving out horrible contracts.

I would rather give that contract to Semin than Green, at least Semin plays more than 40games for you.

Not really. He plays 42 and takes the other 40 off.

Vman

Yeah ok I probably know more about their prospects than you do about your own, only till last month you started jacking off at every 18 yeard old hockey player that was drafted by the Habs. I never said that Detroit never had any good prospects , I believe and many others do that they shouldnt be ranked top 5 like that site has. Their best prospect right now is a toss up between Jarnkok which was Silfverbergs center last season, Smith their dman and Nyquist which looked really good last season. They have good depth but no high end ones with high upside you need to be in top 5 like a Granlund, Huberdeau, Strome, Zibenejad, Taransenko etc.

/ drop mic.

Ignorance sure is bliss.

mhmmmmm something something Calder

Marvie_3

Banned
I find it funny that I made one comment about widening the nets being a possibility of something they could do to increase scoring (and, yes, has been talked about at those meetings for years) and that translates in your mind to "Plinko wants gigantic nets in the NHL."

As I said before--I'd MUCH rather them, in order of preference:

1) Reduce goalie equipment size
2) Widen the ice surface to European levels to get rid of the damn trap (I know, it will never happen due to the way the arenas are built)
3) Widen the nets slightly
I know you want bigger nets. You just don't want to admit it. ;)

#1 absolutely needs to happen. Protect the goalie, not his stats.

Red_Man

The guy who wrote it also said that he had a very difficult time ranking the top 4 teams, indicating that no team is a wide gap ahead of any other, and they are the 4 top teams in terms of prospects. He also adds this :

"The second change has been to my ranking philosophy. Last year, I predominantly favored whichever team had the most "top prospects". While am I still valuing that very heavily, I put more emphasis than last year on teams who have systems that have significant talent throughout. That doesn't mean the teams that have a lot of bottom-six type prospects, but just talented players who may not be top-tier prospects."

Which Detroit fits, so maybe read up on the guy writing the report instead of looking at what teams at what numbers before you start saying shit. Yea it's debatable that Detroit is 4th, but according to how this guy is ranking the team's it fits.

Your comments are also amusing coming from the guy who called Lehner a franchise goalie already :lol :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Didn't they clamp down on this before? How did they get around it? (Apathy?)

I don't really disagree with either a minor increase in height or width of the net, though. Seems to be a lot of huge goaltenders these days.

They don't change the size of things like that in other sports. They shouldn't do it in hockey.

They just needs to take pad sizes down from this:

U0Nde.jpg

to this:

Cake Boss

Banned
mhmmmmm something something Calder

Its going to crazy next year for the Calder, many expected to make the jump. Going to be a toss up between.

Kuzentesof ( Not sure if Wash is expecting him come from Russia next year)
Tarensenko- Same as above.
Yakupov
Granlund
Silfverberg
Schwartz
Zibenejad
Huberdeau
Markstrom
Dougie Hamilton
Kreider
Etc

Going to be nuts.

Cake Boss

Banned
Your comments are also amusing coming from the guy who called Lehner a franchise goalie already :lol :lol

I said potential. :lol :lol hur der der derp hur I spin peoples words and try to insult them. Everyone is stupid if they argue against me. Hur der hur derp huuurrr

Its going to crazy next year for the Calder, many expected to make the jump. Going to be a toss up between.

Kuzentesof ( Not sure if Wash is expecting him come from Russia next year)
Tarensenko- Same as above.
Yakupov
Granlund
Silfverberg
Schwartz
Zibenejad
Huberdeau
Markstrom
Dougie Hamilton
Kreider
Etc

Going to be nuts.

Tarasenko is a yes, Kuznetzov is a no - in terms of coming over to play next year.

Red_Man

How is this any different from you and Solo blowing Bergevin the second he took over as GM?
Because he has experience scouting and managing in the NHL already? How this that similar at all to a goalie prospect propelled to be a "franchise goalie"? Also Bergevin is a upgrade to Gauthier of the highest degree.

LOL what is this and why are they wearing cups on their chins.

This is dumb. Its fucking ice soccer.

Plinko is going to draw wood at the sight of those huge nets though.

This is amazing.

Amazingly worse than I thought it would be.

It is an old and respectable sport, God damnit! It might not be the most popular one worldwide but neither is hockey. The people who like it tend to love it however. Keep to Baseball, Handegg and Basket!

Cake Boss

Banned
Because he has experience scouting and managing in the NHL already? How this that similar at all to a goalie prospect propelled to be a "franchise goalie"? Also Bergevin is a upgrade to Gauthier of the highest degree.

Be a little fucking douche and keep spinning people words more to make your argument.

They don't change the size of things like that in other sports. They shouldn't do it in hockey.

I hear you, I just don't feel quite so strongly about it. Leagues change crap all the time (NBA with the 3pt line, 24 second clock, NFL with the 2pt conversion, hell even Bettman tried the foot-in-crease rule), and when the average height and weight of your players increase pretty clearly over the years I don't feel like increasing the net a bit is quite so horrible.

That being said tradition counts for a lot in the NHL and I doubt they'd ever make the change unless every goaltender in the league was 6'5"+.

Anyway I'm mostly just surprised you didn't post a pic of oversized pads poster-child and Islanders GM Garth Snow. Goalie equipment has been out of hand for years.

81394791.jpg
428954749a3779b315.jpg

hfboards said:
He looks like he strapped two J.S. Giguere's to his legs.

Top Bottom