• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I hear you, I just don't feel quite so strongly about it. Leagues change crap all the time (NBA with the 3pt line, 24 second clock, NFL with the 2pt conversion, hell even Bettman tried the foot-in-crease rule), and when the average height and weight of your players increase pretty clearly over the years I don't feel like increasing the net a bit is quite so horrible.

That being said tradition counts for a lot in the NHL and I doubt they'd ever make the change unless every goaltender in the league was 6'5"+.

Anyway I'm mostly just surprised you didn't post a pic of oversized pads poster-child and Islanders GM Garth Snow. Goalie equipment has been out of hand for years.

I agree with marvie that NHL shouldn't change anything as big as that. As you say, tradition counts for a lot in the NHL. I wouldn't like to compare NHL with NBA and NFL that are much more of a buisness than a sport. NHL should be a hockey league and the best one in the world. They should try to do everything to stay true to what hockey is.(whatever that means since it is different everywhere). If you start to change everything to make it as entertaining as possible it tends to become more entertainment than sport.

Cake Boss

Banned
You should probably go get drunk off some more wine coolers to chill out

Hur der hur oh man no more posts for you spin around and call other people stupid when they argue against you? Ah no more, now I resorted to some stupid joke about drinking. Hur durrr I am awesome.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hur der hur oh man no more posts for you spin around and call other people stupid when they argue against you? Ah no more, now I resorted to some stupid joke about drinking. Hur durrr I am awesome.
You're the one spinning words, the only people I've called stupid are KingHenrik which is justified for his little bitch fest in the middle of the season, and then trying to tell me that Habs were definitely going to take Grigorenko because he played in Quebec, and Tabris, which is well Tabris.

Marvie_3

Banned
I hear you, I just don't feel quite so strongly about it. Leagues change crap all the time (NBA with the 3pt line, 24 second clock, NFL with the 2pt conversion, hell even Bettman tried the foot-in-crease rule), and when the average height and weight of your players increase pretty clearly over the years I don't feel like increasing the net a bit is quite so horrible.
They didn't shorten the field or widen the goalposts in football and they didn't make the hoop bigger or make the ball smaller in basketball. They don't need to increase the goal size. Shrink the goalie pads and start calling obstruction penalties the way they were called after the lockout and that will solve a lot of problems.

Anyway I'm mostly just surprised you didn't post a pic of oversized pads poster-child and Islanders GM Garth Snow. Goalie equipment has been out of hand for years.
I was going to post a pic of Snow but I accidentally pasted the Osgood one by mistake. I didn't feel like going back and changing it. :lol

I agree with marvie that NHL shouldn't change anything as big as that. As you say, tradition counts for a lot in the NHL. I wouldn't like to compare NHL with NBA and NFL that are much more of a buisness than a sport. NHL should be a hockey league and the best one in the world. They should try to do everything to stay true to what hockey is.(whatever that means since it is different everywhere). If you start to change everything to make it as entertaining as possible it tends to become more entertainment than sport.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think the NHL is a business. It's no different than the other leagues.

They didn't shorten the field or widen the goalposts in football and they didn't make the hoop bigger or make the ball smaller in basketball. They don't need to increase the goal size. Shrink the goalie pads and start calling obstruction penalties the way they were called after the lockout and that will solve a lot of problems.

I was going to post a pic of Snow but I accidentally pasted the Osgood one by mistake. I didn't feel like going back and changing it. :lol

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the NHL is a business. It's no different than the other leagues.

Just admit it, you just hate the Wings that much you had to use Osgood as an example of big goalie pads. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pens have apparently made Doan an offer.

Cube, you son of a bitch.

I think if Doan leaves PHX, the Pens and Wings actually end up with Doan and Semin. Who goes where, though, I have no clue.

FOOTE

Its going to crazy next year for the Calder, many expected to make the jump. Going to be a toss up between.

Kuzentesof ( Not sure if Wash is expecting him come from Russia next year)
Tarensenko- Same as above.
Yakupov
Granlund
Silfverberg
Schwartz
Zibenejad
Huberdeau
Markstrom
Dougie Hamilton
Kreider
Etc

Going to be nuts.

He's coming, and he's expected to make the team.

Socreges

Banned
I think I've finally transitioned from each day expecting something to happen (eg, Luongo trade, Doan signing) to being resigned to the fact that we could go weeks without anything.

Acid08

Banned
I think I've finally transitioned from each day expecting something to happen (eg, Luongo trade, Doan signing) to being resigned to the fact that we could go weeks without anything.

Definitely, plus, the threat of a lock out added on top of that just adds to the depression.

Put in a feature that automatically sets the best line-up of your available players in HUT and I'd actually give a fuck about it. DNW to spend 20 mins setting a lineup based on chemistry etc.

Put in a feature that automatically sets the best line-up of your available players in HUT and I'd actually give a fuck about it. DNW to spend 20 mins setting a lineup based on chemistry etc.

714zhDnchUL._SL1500_.jpg

rellix

MacAttack

So, anyone buy something from Steam recently?

Made a mistake by only buying Civ V and not the GOTY version. Is any of that DLC worth a damn?

Also picked up The Witcher 2.

Trying to stay away from those cheap games that you play a few times before uninstalling and never play again.

Spl1nter

So, anyone buy something from Steam recently?

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Mirror's Edge
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Saints Row: The Third
Tropico 4
Bastion
The Witcher 2
Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012)
Binding of Isaac Bundle (Summer 2012)
Binary Domain Retail

Saints Row and Binding of Issac was a bit of an impulse buy and Tropico 4 was because Anno 2070 was too expensive for my tastes. Everything else I have wanted for quite a while and was waiting for the right price. Binary Domain is really damn good. Dont know how this game went so unnoticed. I held off on buying a few games because prices were still too high.

rellix

That's old news :p We want new news!

Well, what exactly are you expecting that isn't there already? EA/NHL isn't going to bust down the doors with some amazing new feature they've been hiding for a game they finished months ago. In fact, what I've seen in that list is far more than what I really expected.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Well, what exactly are you expecting that isn't there already? EA/NHL isn't going to bust down the doors with some amazing new feature they've been hiding for a game they finished months ago. In fact, what I've seen in that list is far more than what I really expected.

Something along the lines of "due to overwhelming fan feedback we changed our mind and will now include Fantasy Drafts and full NHL Entry Drafts in the GM Connected mode" :'( We'd be stuck doing an offline draft and then trading and entry drafts go by picking categories, not players, which sucks.

rellix

Something along the lines of "due to overwhelming fan feedback we changed our mind and will now include Fantasy Drafts and full NHL Entry Drafts in the GM Connected mode" :'( We'd be stuck doing an offline draft and then trading and entry drafts go by picking categories, not players, which sucks.

If EA actually gave players what they wanted the first time around in sports games, they wouldn't be able to convince you that you need the next year's game.

The folks at EA Canada (and every other sports game studio) always have the next 2-3+ years planned out in advance. They have to in order to push the game out yearly, but they also know exactly what they are and aren't giving you to ensure you're salivating for the next edition. If they actually implemented all the ideas and features at once.. man.

In this case, they explicitly did not add a feature with the excuse that it would be too difficult for the players. It doesn't take a genius to realize you can have a simulated fantasy draft both with players present and absent. It'll be in NHL 14, when the fans are actually given a "voice" on the subject, and everyone will be happy because they think the devs actually listen to their input.

Red Wings Made a "Hell of an Offer" for Nash

The Red Wings made "a hell of an offer" to Columbus for Nash, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. But the offer generated no conversation.
No counteroffer, no back and forth negotiation, nothing.
It is clear Columbus has no intention of trading the face of its franchise to the team it considers to be its top rival, a Detroit club that has dominated the Blue Jackets since they entered the NHL in 2000-01.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/07/red_wings_made_big_pitch_for_r.html

Welp, there goes Howson trying to use Detroit as leverage...

Montresor

Top Bottom