• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Quick

Banned
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...rdiner-no-longer-of-first-round-pedigree.html

TROIZ.gif

Sogood.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
Judge to hear initiative against Glendale sales-tax increase Aug. 14
Supporters of an effort to reverse Glendale's sales-tax increase must wait nearly a month to argue before a judge.

Last week, the city rejected signatures submitted by the business group which aims to get an initiative on the November ballot. The group, Save Glendale Now, responded with a lawsuit.

A Glendale spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday that the city and the business group won't appear before Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sally Duncan until Aug. 14.

Once in court, Glendale will argue the 100-word summary submitted with the group's 4,138 signatures was misleading because an initiative cannot reverse the Glendale City Council's vote to increase the city sales tax by 0.7 percent.

The city has also said the group failed to include a serial number on each petition and submit them four months before the Aug. 28 primary election.

In its lawsuit filed last week, the business group said the city clerk did not have discretion to reject the petitions and that the loopholes cited by the city failed to take specific rules into account.

For example, an attorney for Save Glendale Now said, the law requires petitions for potential initiatives be turned in four months prior to a general election rather than a primary.

Glendale officials have said the sales tax increase, which would bring in an estimated $20 million, is essential to avoid severe cuts.

Last month, interim City Manager Horatio Skeete said the city might have to consider whether it can afford this year's $17 million arena management fee to likely Phoenix Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison should the tax be overturned.

Jamison has yet to purchase the team from the National Hockey League, although the league has said he is continuing to work toward that.

A Glendale spokeswoman said Tuesday the city also is moving forward with Jamison.

It's unclear how the repeal of the sales tax or a delay in resolution on the issue might impact Jamison's bid for the team.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'd like to post that Spectre is a creep because he's going through my steam purchase history and judging me :( IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT I USE STEAM LIKE A TRADING CARD GAME.

Smiley90

You bought EVERYTHING.

WHAT KIND OF A MAN BUYS FABLE 3.

-looks at steam sale purchase history-

GTA IV Complete Bundle
Dear Esther
Metro 2033 All Languages
Fable III Collection
Magicka: The Stars Are Left
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb
Tropico 4: Modern Times
The Witcher 2
Frozen Synapse: Red DLC
Two Worlds II Bundle
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
Alan Wake
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Trine 2
Saints Row: The Third
The Darkness II Standard Edition Retail

I CAN'T RESIST.

-looks at profile-

Games (212)

...well, fuck.

Alucard

Banned
I only have a Wii. No PS3 or XBox. I wonder how much time I'll even have to play the thing now with a child to care for. Not much if my current experience holds up! One of these days, I'd like to finish Skyward Sword. Le sigh. On the second dungeon. Beautiful game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I only have a Wii. No PS3 or XBox. I wonder how much time I'll even have to play the thing now with a child to care for. Not much if my current experience holds up! One of these days, I'd like to finish Skyward Sword. Le sigh. On the second dungeon. Beautiful game.
I buy 2 games a year, NHL, and Halo. Can't be bothered to spend the money and time on other stuff. I buy the odd game on sale, but that's it.

Alucard

Banned
I buy 2 games a year, NHL, and Halo. Can't be bothered to spend the money and time on other stuff. I buy the odd game on sale, but that's it.

Yeah, when I see a game for 10 or 20 bucks or less I usually pick it up if I've heard good things. This leads to having a current backlog of about a dozen games that I will play "one day." I've realized that my gaming days are basically over. I doubt I will have time for 5-6 hour marathons on a Saturday morning any time soon. I kind of miss it, but not at the same time.

It's almost 5am. I can't sleep. Went to bed at 10pm last night. My mind is on my baby's schedule. Thinking of going for a super early morning walk/jog. This will likely become my life now. Really don't want to go back to work on Monday. :( End of paternity leave.

Smiley90

Yeah, when I see a game for 10 or 20 bucks or less I usually pick it up if I've heard good things. This leads to having a current backlog of about a dozen games that I will play "one day." I've realized that my gaming days are basically over. I doubt I will have time for 5-6 hour marathons on a Saturday morning any time soon. I kind of miss it, but not at the same time.

It's almost 5am. I can't sleep. Went to bed at 10pm last night. My mind is on my baby's schedule. Thinking of going for a super early morning walk/jog. This will likely become my life now. Really don't want to go back to work on Monday. :( End of paternity leave.

Wow, wasn't your baby born just like, 2 weeks ago?!? That's such a short paternity leave. Coming from a European country, I might just have a wrong mindset of how things should be like though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

That sucks man, hopefully your not dealing with a lot of people face to face often, might get some moody responses :lol

Alucard

Banned
Wow, wasn't your baby born just like, 2 weeks ago?!? That's such a short paternity leave. Coming from a European country, I might just have a wrong mindset of how things should be like though.

I actually get 5 weeks, but can split them how I like. Took 3 weeks now, and going to take the other 2 at the start of January 2013. I'm in Canada.

And I am now out on a walk and just passed the Habs' practice facility. Mmm, the quiet of morning.

Yeah, when I see a game for 10 or 20 bucks or less I usually pick it up if I've heard good things. This leads to having a current backlog of about a dozen games that I will play "one day." I've realized that my gaming days are basically over. I doubt I will have time for 5-6 hour marathons on a Saturday morning any time soon. I kind of miss it, but not at the same time..

Yeah my gaming essentially died when my son was born almost a year ago. 5-10 minute gaming sessions on my Ipod or Facebook is about all I can pull off. Can't believe I used to do several hour long gaming sessions not too long ago.

At least he loves hockey.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Take heart--you get used to the schedule change quickly. I've been through it three times and it gets easier each time as well.

Curufinwe

I grabbed Max Payne 1 and 2, Alan Wake's American Nightmare, and the Fear collection when they were flash deals for $17.47 total. My computer's five years old so that limits what games I want to buy.

That's from back when Jake Gardiner was practically a nobody. I was honestly shocked by the article at first but it's dated February of 2011. No one expected Gardiner to make the 2011/2012 squad last September and play as well as he did... and then go on to become an untouchable and non-starter in Luongo/Nash trade talks (allegedly).

He's no longer first round caliber! How do I know this? Well, for one, the Leafs acquired him! xD

Socreges

Banned
About to beat Metroid Prime for the first time in ten years. Masterpiece sounds about right. Can't believe I was wrong about this game for so long.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
About to beat Metroid Prime for the first time in ten years. Masterpiece sounds about right. Can't believe I was wrong about this game for so long.

Amazing game. I'm really hoping that Retro Studios is working on a new version for Wii U, but I doubt it.

Plinko

So, anyone buy something from Steam recently?

Batman: Arkham City
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Wizorb
Vessel

All for around $20. Fantastic stuff.

I'm on the fence about the Bioshock pack right now. Anybody in here play them? Good?

Alucard

Banned
Manics is reporting that Luongo to the Leafs is a done deal, and that it will be announced once Gillis returns from vacation. MANICSTON.

Marvie_3

Banned
Amazing game. I'm really hoping that Retro Studios is working on a new version for Wii U, but I doubt it.
Nintendo needs to get off their asses and do another print of Metroid Prime Trilogy first.

So basically the Coyotes stay in Phoenix for this year, the league loses another $40 million, Jamison's deal falls through, and next summer we're right back here again.

Possibly. Who knows when the season is starting so there's still time to move them. I can't even imagine how bad their attendance would be if they had to play a lame duck season in Glendale.

Plinko

Nintendo needs to get off their asses and do another print of Metroid Prime Trilogy first.

Agreed. I sold this so I could get PS Move controllers. Worst video game decision I've ever made :(
Possibly. Who knows when the season is starting so there's still time to move them. I can't even imagine how bad their attendance would be if they had to play a lame duck season in Glendale.

The latest article says that their season ticket sales are "at record highs."

They may have finally hit the 100 barrier. The sky is the limit!

So basically the Coyotes stay in Phoenix for this year, the league loses another $40 million, Jamison's deal falls through, and next summer we're right back here again.

Bettman going all the way to help keep the salary cap down.

Take heart--you get used to the schedule change quickly. I've been through it three times and it gets easier each time as well.

Well that's good to hear if I go through it again, having barely no sleep and chugging a couple of Red Bulls daily just to get through the day was not fun although I don't recall it being as bad now that it's over. I know it was hell though.

Revenant

Batman: Arkham City
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Tobe's Vertical Adventure
Wizorb
Vessel

All for around $20. Fantastic stuff.

I'm on the fence about the Bioshock pack right now. Anybody in here play them? Good?

Bioshock is one of the best games of this generation. I didn't necessarily love the combat but man the story and the atmosphere are incredible. Bioshock 2 is okay, but I got bored within a half hour. A different team did the second one and it feels like what it was. A sequel to make a quick buck. Competent but uninspired

Revenant

From dust
Toy soldiers
The witcher 2
Batman arkham city
Hitman: Blood Money.

Played a bit of The Witcher 2. That game is awesome on PC.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
LOL new tag? Good jorb! What's your steam profile?

Man...someone sign something already!

Yeah I've been hanging out in NFL-GAF, once they learned of how terrible all my teams are the tag instantly appeared. :lol

As for steam, my profile is: Tontaku

The Wither 2 is the best game of last year. You are a Nazi pedophile Leafs fan if you disagree.

Serious question:

Witcher 2 is the one that is as massive as skyrim and plays like it as well? If so then I may get it, my computer is finally able to run games better than minecraft on it.

Solo

Serious question:

Witcher 2 is the one that is as massive as skyrim and plays like it as well? If so then I may get it, my computer is finally able to run games better than minecraft on it.

It's nowheres near the size of Skyrim. Like 20% the size. But a completely different type of RPG, and much better.

Revenant

It's nowheres near the size of Skyrim. Like 20% the size. But a completely different type of RPG, and much better.

Witcher 2 really shines despite its narrower scope. The combat is great. Story and characters so far are interesting and man does it look fantastic. I've played skyrim for like 8 hours and its fun but after playing both skyrims combat seems even more lackluster. Witcher 2 is tough and doesn't explain much but once you get the basic mechanics down it feels great every time. Witcher 2 is essentially ribbed for your pleasure.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I'll give it a shot then for you.

I'll let you know how the game is when I finally play it somewhere in 2016.

Frillen

Yeah I've been hanging out in NFL-GAF, once they learned of how terrible all my teams are the tag instantly appeared. :lol

As for steam, my profile is: Tontaku

Serious question:

Nope, it's like 10 times smaller, but hard to compare because The Witcher 2 is only semi-open.

Revenant

I'm also glad the witcher 2 carry on the fine eastern European dev tradition of making a game that does barely anything to teach you the controls! Im actually being sort of sincere. Just toss you in and let you take some beatings.

Also the opening cinematic is great. I watched it and after I was going to enjoy where the game went.

Top Bottom