• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's kinda hard to compare Skyrim and Witcher 2, they both excel in their kind of RPG. Skyrim is MASSIVE open-world RPG all about your choices and variety, while Witcher 2 is not open world, but more connected smaller maps and more combat-driven in a given storyline.

Also, Witcher 2 looks AMAZING, definitely one of the best, if not the best looking PC game so far, from a purely technical point of view.

And the Bioshock games are a must-buy if you're even remotely interested in shooters. Amazing atmosphere and art design.

Socreges

Banned
I tried a few times to like that game, but it bored me to tears.
Was the same with me in the past. This time I used the map and had a running list of obstacles on my phone:

Main control room - ice beam
Phendrana's Edge - grapple
Etc

Breezed through the game and just sopped up that amazing level design. Holy fuck @
the massive morph ball challenge in order to get plasma beam

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Haha. Someone just sourced Manics on HFBoards re: Luongo trade. Must be the summer doldrums.

Revenant

Was the same with me in the past. This time I used the map and had a running list of obstacles on my phone:

Etc

Breezed through the game and just sopped up that amazing level design. Holy fuck @

I remember playing it and really enjoying it but then I didn't play it for awhile and now that game is lost in the abyss of "games I really should play/finish."

rellix

Agreed. I sold this so I could get PS Move controllers. Worst video game decision I've ever made :(

Selling SNES + games to buy a dreamcast. yeah, beat that one.

also: trading diddy kong racing for pokemon snap. so bad. he still refuses to trade it back.

witcher 2 was great the first run through, i stopped halfway through my second run on dark mode. i have a tendency to just stop playing games with the intention of coming back, but never doing so.

now i'm just waiting for the dark souls DLC. easily my favorite game this gen.

Was the same with me in the past.
must be something about that game...i did the exact same thing. came back to start over and beat it a couple years later and loved the entire thing.

I've only bought some Dungeon Defenders DLC. The sale has spoiled me: if it's not 75% off I won't bother.

About to beat Metroid Prime for the first time in ten years. Masterpiece sounds about right. Can't believe I was wrong about this game for so long.

About 5 years ago I came across a copy at a Blockbuster and bought it on a whim. Played it a couple years ago. Incredible game, hasn't aged at all. The other two games are great but can't hold a candle to Prime.

Revenant

:lol Working on Sonic was an interesting experience, let me tell you...

Yes, yes let you tell me. I'm genuinely interested in hearing about this lunacy.

I remember some sonic fan on my bus in high school was hyping up the upcoming game while trashing the previous 3 or so. Responded with how it'll probably be bad too and he was just fuming. That kind of delusion is outstanding..

I didn't even start that conversation. My friend and I were talking about RE 4 to each other or something then all of a sudden SONIC.

fallout

My Steam sale tally thus far has been mostly sticking to the sub-$5 stuff:

Just Cause 2
PixelJunk Eden
Dear Esther
Qube
Trine 2

And of course, I just started playing Tribes: Ascend. :\

Marvie_3

Banned
Yes, yes let you tell me. I'm genuinely interested in hearing about this lunacy.

I remember some sonic fan on my bus in high school was hyping up the upcoming game while trashing the previous 3 or so. Responded with how it'll probably be bad too and he was just fuming. That kind of delusion is outstanding..

I didn't even start that conversation. My friend and I were talking about RE 4 to each other or something then all of a sudden SONIC.

Tabris went to your school?

Cactus

Banned

Etc

Are you planning to move on to Echoes? It's like Prime on steroids.

Socreges

Banned
Are you planning to move on to Echoes? It's like Prime on steroids.
Not sure that sounds good to me. I didn't much like the Phazon Mines or battling the space pirates (anthropomorphic, yet stupid). Definitely interested in hearing what the pacing and environments are like in Echoes.

Heretic

Pokemon Snap was awesome...

I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii and played it for 10 minutes then put it down. I didn't like the fact that I had to scan everything... Is the rest of the game like that?

Sonic has basically an approval squad; usually Mr. Iizuka (current head of Sonic Team) and his translators. It's very similar to working with a non-gaming IP where everything you do has to pass through some creative braintrust that wants final approval on whether your work fits in how they picture their universe.

For better or worse, Sonic bends to his perception of how the brand should be at the time, which can float around a bit.

Rivals 1 = no rings in loops
Rivals 2 = rings in loops now okay again

I have no idea why, or why he changed his mind with the sequel.

Revenant

Sonic has basically an approval squad; usually Mr. Iizuka (current head of Sonic Team) and his translators. It's very similar to working with a non-gaming IP where everything you do has to pass through some creative braintrust that wants final approval on whether your work fits in how they picture their universe.

For better or worse, Sonic bends to his perception of how the brand should be at the time, which can float around a bit.

Rivals 1 = no rings in loops
Rivals 2 = rings in loops now okay again

I have no idea why, or why he changed his mind with the sequel.

My guess is bath salts. That'd explain a lot about sonic.

Interesting stuff btw.

My guess is bath salts. That'd explain a lot about sonic.

Interesting stuff btw.

Just the way they work, I guess. Nintendo treats Mario like a Disney character, so story, continuity and character set are really not that important so long as the game is good. Sonic is treated a lot more as a legacy; hence the baggage of friends and such.

I remember during development we had to build this huge set of unlockable cards with different characters from the franchise. The hardest one to get was "The President", as in the fictional US president from Sonic Adventure 2. He became a sort of secret development mascot since the idea was so ridiculous.

Cactus

Banned
Not sure that sounds good to me. I didn't much like the Phazon Mines or battling the space pirates (anthropomorphic, yet stupid). Definitely interested in hearing what the pacing and environments are like in Echoes.

Most of the environments in Echoes are dark, dreary and very atmospheric. I definitely think it trumps the first game in that regard. The pacing is a mixed bag, though. A large part of your time will be spent in the dark world, and a lot of people didn't seem to enjoy that aspect of the game.

If you enjoyed Prime, you'll probably enjoy Echoes too. Plus, the sanctuary fortress stage is very cool, and some of the bosses are awe inducing.

Smiley90

Is this what we've devolved to now? Sonic talk?

Sonic?

Sega Aladdin is best Sega game.

In hockey news, I.... No, I got nothing.

I DID watch the new Spiderman though, and all I have to say about it is that Emma Stone is.... "nice".

Been playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD all day. That game would have a much bigger impact on my nostalgia if it had the proper soundtrack from 1. It still makes me feel like I'm a kid again, though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm just waiting for Halo 4...
iAuI1EJGKn0Mm.gif

Solo

Been playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD all day. That game would have a much bigger impact on my nostalgia if it had the proper soundtrack from 1. It still makes me feel like I'm a kid again, though.

How is it? I thought they gutted a lot from it? H-O-R-S-E, etc.

I bought that today but I havent had a chance to try it yet. I am so excited for it.

How is it? I thought they gutted a lot from it? H-O-R-S-E, etc.

It's missing some classic modes but there are like 7 game modes in total. Trick attack and Graffiti are in there as multiplayer modes. There's also this weird pac-man type mode where you collect pellets scattered across each level. Some require you to grind through them, some manual etc. It's fun but the level selection isn't great. They've hinted at wanting to do DLC levels though. It definitely feels like old school Tony Hawk.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Here's Elliot Friedman's final "30 thoughts" for the season, it's actually 44 this time, but will help get that hockey fix in. Lot's of interesting tidbits in there as always.

Socreges

Banned
Heretic, pretty sure the first ten minutes are just tutorial/introduction. Isn't meant to represent the rest of the game.

Anyone: Is it even possible to get all 250 missiles without looking at guides? I'm at 190 just through picking them up as I've gone along and not about to scour the entire world with my visor (
eg, x-ray
).

Heretic

Heretic, pretty sure the first ten minutes are just tutorial/introduction. Isn't meant to represent the rest of the game.

Anyone: Is it even possible to get all 250 missiles without looking at guides? I'm at 190 just through picking them up as I've gone along and not about to scour the entire world with my visor (
eg, x-ray
).

Gotcha. I'll give it another go this weekend. I remember playing one of them at E3 a long time ago and I really enjoyed it so I picked up the Trilogy.

calder

Oh Steam, you hideous Bitch-Goddess

Jul 14
You joined Summer Camp.
You now own Alice: Madness Returns, Max Payne 3, Alan Wake, Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

Jul 16
You now own RAGE, Rage Sewers DLC, Dear Esther.

-- so far, so good. Reasonable, even.

Jul 17
You now own Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Civ and Scenario Pack - Polynesia, Civ and Scenario Pack - Denmark, Sid Meier's Civilization V - Gods and Kings, Civ and Scenario Pack - Korea, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition

Today
You now own Thief 2, LIMBO, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Dead Space 2, Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity.

Games (159)
Friends (22)
Self-Control (0)

Smiley90

Oh Steam, you hideous Bitch-Goddess

Jul 14
You joined Summer Camp.
You now own Alice: Madness Returns, Max Payne 3, Alan Wake, Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

Jul 16
You now own RAGE, Rage Sewers DLC, Dear Esther.

-- so far, so good. Reasonable, even.

Jul 17
You now own Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Civ and Scenario Pack - Polynesia, Civ and Scenario Pack - Denmark, Sid Meier's Civilization V - Gods and Kings, Civ and Scenario Pack - Korea, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition

Today
You now own Thief 2, LIMBO, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Dead Space 2, Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity.

Games (159)
Friends (22)
Self-Control (0)

Amateur.

Games (212)

I'm weak :( it's like my... 5th big steam sale or so though, so it's not THAT bad anymore
since I already own a lot of games :p also humblebundles.

Top Bottom