• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I hope it's 4 1st rounders and Nashville doesn't match. Then we watch Philly at every Entry draft.

Dreger also says that there was trade talk but deadlines passed and Weber signed the sheet, may have been other teams involved in trade talk before

Smiley90

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
I'm told a number of teams were in on a possible Shea Weber trade. If Preds don't match, they receive 4- 1st round picks as compensation.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
1m Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Nashville was working on a trade and its believed several deadlines passed before Flyers grew tired of waiting. Weber signed offer sheet

I say goddamn. So it's guaranteed at least 110 Mio/14 years for Weber.

Tabris

Four first rounders. Talk about handicapping your future completely.

Preds will match though. Shea Weber is now a Predator for life unless traded.

Can offer sheets include NMC/NTC?

LOL at this. Flyers dont need 1st round picks. They sign players every off season, plus Weber is worth way more then 4 guys drafted at the end of the 1st.

Smiley90

They can, but Nashville doesn't have to match the NMC/NTC if they want to match the contract, only the salary.

LOL at this. Flyers dont need 1st round picks. They sign players every off season, plus Weber is worth way more then 4 guys drafted at the end of the 1st.

You wish.

Socreges

Banned
I was just trying to explain offer sheets to a bunch of friends in a bar who don't follow hockey. They were wondering why I had shit my pants.

Holy fuck Philly. If it's like 7.5M per year, this is kind of brilliant. I would give up two firsts, a 2nd and 3rd in a heartbeat for Weber.

Would Nashville match that?

Smiley90

I was just trying to explain offer sheets to a bunch of friends in a bar who don't follow hockey. They were wondering why I had shit my pants.

Holy fuck Philly. If it's like 7.5M per year, this is kind of brilliant. I would give up two firsts, a 2nd and 3rd in a heartbeat for Weber.

2m Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
I may have made an error on compensatory picks. Depending on aav, it could be 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd round pick if Preds don't match.

Yeah so Dreger admitted, upwards of 100 doesn't automatically mean 4 firsts. Limit is 109/4 years or 7.8/year. Before it's 1st,2nd,3rd and then 1st, otherwise four 1sts.

Nashville will totally match that, they have more than enough Cap space anyway. They'll match anything, pretty sure.

Only way I've ever been able to explain it is by comparing it to poaching.

iLLmAtlc

Wow. Is it possible that the Flyers might have some info that this is outside of Nashville's budget?

If they really wanted Weber WHY would they make this offer when it gives Nashville the chance to insta-match and ruin their chances of ever getting him?

Wow. Is it possible that the Flyers might have some info that this is outside of Nashville's budget?

If they really wanted Weber WHY would they make this offer when it gives Nashville the chance to insta-match and ruin their chances of ever getting him?

Contract's probably front loaded with hella bonuses.

ZeroGravity

Likely because the kind of deal Weber wants (and just got) may not exist in the next CBA. It seemed likely that he would either sign with Nashville or be traded and signed by another team before the current CBA expires.

Tabris

Okay yankee, let's do this. Usually takes prospects 3 years to develop, so let's go back 7 years and take your first round picks. This is what you will most likely miss:

2006 - Claude Giroux
2007 - James Vans Reimsdyck / Luke Schenn
2008 - Luca Sbisa / Chris Pronger
2009 - None / Chris Pronger

You take out a bad injury history with those players, would you give up Claude Giroux, Luke Schenn and Chris Pronger for Shea Weber?

Also LOL:

Kevin Bieksa ‏@kbieksa3
#Weber #offersheet @Ryan_Kesler Now that's an offer sheet Kes! Makes yours look like 2 three year olds bartering for the red lego...

EDIT - Looks like Dreger was wrong about 4 1st rounders, but I'll leave the above point stand as we were talking about how 4 1st rounders could bankrupt the team's future for a while.

Socreges

Banned
So it's confirmed four firsts?

That's a lot different then. But it probably will convince Nashville to let him go. Philly just wants their #1 defender.

Heretic

NHL FITNESS GAF.

0003.gif

For a place to track your progress, sign up at www.traineo.com. The group name is "NHL Fitness GAF." We can post discussion threads there, share tips, post pics, etc. You kind of have to know your starting weight off the bat, though. My scale is currently busted. Gonna pick up another one tomorrow for accurate readings.

If anyone knows of a better free online fitness tracker, let us know! This one has a paid subscription if anyone wants updated features, but for the basic stuff of setting a goal and watching the numbers go down, the free version does the job. It also has a calories tracker for the more hardcore of us. Personally, I can't be bothered to type up my meals daily, especially since one man's "chicken noodle soup" may be different from another's, but can keep a mental log.

(it takes 24 hours to be able to post in the group's forum)

How do you join the group?

Tabris

It's such a shame about Pronger too. If it wasn't for that concussion, he would probably still be one of the top defenders in the league for 3 more years. I think he had more than a PPG before being injured this last season. I had him in my hockey pool.

Smiley90

So it's confirmed four firsts?

That's a lot different then. But it probably will convince Nashville to let him go. Philly just wants their #1 defender.

Dreger said confirmed 100+ Mio, the thing is, if it's 109Mio/14 years it's below the 7.8Mio/year threshold that seperates 1,1,2,3 and 1,1,1,1. So we just don't know at this point.

Also, someone mentioned if Nashville could accept and then trade: No, they can't. After matching an offer sheet, a team is not allowed to trade the player for a year.

CREMSteve

If Nashville loses Suter and Weber, Phoenix loses Doan and Detroit loses Lidstrom and Hudler... three potential spots just opened up in the Western Conf playoff race.

Great news for Calgary's chances next year. Bring on the season!

Heretic

So if Nashville matches, what's the Flyers penalty?

This is what I was going to ask. If they match, what happens?

Edit: This move makes me think Philly wasn't all that interested in Bobby for some reason. If they went this hard for Weber then I think they would have done something similar for Bobby.

Tabris

If Nashville loses Suter and Weber, Phoenix loses Doan and Detroit loses Lidstrom and Hudler... three potential spots just opened up in the Western Conf playoff race.

Great news for Calgary's chances next year. Bring on the season!

Well Calgary's problem is there are going to get beat up by an improved NW (VAN improved w/ Garrison, EDM improved w/ Yakupov and Schultz, and MIN improved w/ Parise and Suter)

But yes, good point. PHX and NSH would most likely not make the playoffs which is amazing because those teams are SO boring to watch.

Razorskin

----- ------
Here are the two possible outcomes for the Flyers.

Nashville doesn't match: Bryzgalov is their starter
Nashville matches: Bryzgalov is their starter.

CREMSteve

Well Calgary's problem is there are going to get beat up by an improved NW (VAN improved w/ Garrison, EDM improved w/ Yakupov and Schultz, and MIN improved w/ Parise and Suter)

But yes, good point. PHX and NSH would most likely not make the playoffs which is amazing because those teams are SO boring to watch.

I still haven't decided if Garrison is in fact an upgrade. He's either a flash in the pan with one good season, or someone truly on the upswing in his career. I haven't seen him play, so I can't judge quite yet. Regardless, there's no doubt he picked the right year to have his only good season in the league.

You're right about MIN, they'd have to screw up royally to not make the playoffs next year and I'm still not sold on EDM yet.

E-DuB

Before I confirmed this on Twitter, I thought the Weber offer sheet talk was another patented Eklund special. I have to give the Flyer brass credit: they will spare no expese to get the player they want. But honestly just :lol

I hope Nashville matches and Weber stays a Pred. It'd be good for the organisation to have a guy like that locked up forever.

Tabris

I still haven't decided if Garrison is in fact an upgrade. He's either a flash in the pan with one good season, or someone truly on the upswing in his career. Regardless, there's no doubt he picked the right year to have his only good season in the league.

You're right about MIN, they'd have to screw up royally to not make the playoffs next year and I'm still not sold on EDM yet.

Garrison has been really good for 2 years. Just offensively good for 1 year. Playing with Brian Campbell apparently helped a lot for his offensive game and now he'll playing with Alex Edler. He's a minute eater which is what we needed. He will give the other guys some breathing room, allow Bieksa/Hamhuis to focus more on just dealing with the top lines. Plus a booming shot like that is golden when you play PP with the Sedins who present too many fronts to be predictable so teams won't always be watching for that shot from the top from him as they also need to cover down low for the Sedins cycle.

Oh yeah, I don't think EDM will make the playoffs either, but it's more wins against teams like CGY though for EDM than last year.

Smiley90

Before I confirmed this on Twitter, I thought the Weber offer sheet talk was another patented Eklund special. I have to give the Flyer brass credit: they will spare no expese to get the player they want. But honestly just :lol

I hope Nashville matches and Weber stays a Pred. It'd be good for the organisation to have a guy like that on the team for a year until they're allowed to trade him.

FTFY

Respect. Seriously, a lot of GMs think it's poor form to send out offer sheets on top guys. You hear GM's like Brian Burke talk about it a lot. That's why Steve Stamkos didn't have an offer sheet.

Maybe he did and just didn't sign it.

Holy shit, so glad we resigned Karlsson before Crazy Holmgren got any ideas.

I bet Preds match, 4 1st rounders from Philly will be shit.

Top Bottom