• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

CREMSteve

Garrison has been really good for 2 years. Just offensively good for 1 year. Playing with Brian Campbell apparently helped a lot for his offensive game and now he'll playing with Alex Edler. He's a minute eater which is what we needed. He will give the other guys some breathing room, allow Bieksa/Hamhuis to focus more on just dealing with the top lines. Plus a booming shot like that is golden when you play PP with the Sedins who present too many fronts to be predictable so teams won't always be watching for that shot from the top from him as they also need to cover down low for the Sedins cycle.

Oh yeah, I don't think EDM will make the playoffs either, but it's more wins against teams like CGY though for EDM than last year.

CGY has improved a lot offensively, it's their defence I'm concerned about.

If EDM wants to run and gun, I think the Flames can keep up with the additions they've made. Baertschi, Hudler, Cervenka and Wideman are going to make a big difference to CGY's anemic PP next year.

iLLmAtlc

Garrison has been really good for 2 years. Just offensively good for 1 year. Playing with Brian Campbell apparently helped a lot for his offensive game and now he'll playing with Alex Edler. He's a minute eater which is what we needed. He will give the other guys some breathing room, allow Bieksa/Hamhuis to focus more on just dealing with the top lines. Plus a booming shot like that is golden when you play PP with the Sedins who present too many fronts to be predictable so teams won't always be watching for that shot from the top from him as they also need to cover down low for the Sedins cycle.

Oh yeah, I don't think EDM will make the playoffs either, but it's more wins against teams like CGY though for EDM than last year.

My favourite is when you have guys going "OH Garrison won't have Campbell to pass him the puck anymore"... yeah he'll have the Sedins instead. -_-

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
HE'S PHYSIC...AL... PHYSICAL

ROFLMAO. Jesus Christ Tabris, that was hilarious.

EDIT:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil.

CREMSteve

$26M in one facking year. Good lord.

I work far too hard for my 60K.

Wish I could play hockey for 26M. Hell, I'd play for the league minimum and be the happiest guy on the planet.

Smiley90

Trending now:

#CheatingIsOkayIf
Preds
#Weber
Paul Holmgren
NSH
Nashville
#NameYourVaginaAfterAMovie

wtf at the surround tags.

also:

DarrenDreger
I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

CREMSteve

It's the offseason, Dreger could sleep all day and no one would notice. When news like this breaks, you get your ass out of bed and head to the office. Going back to sleep is inexcusable.

Smiley90

In non-Weber news, from an interview with Brzy:

Would players like Giroux, Stamkos, Crosby play in the KHL during the lockout?
"Claude and I had a conversation about this once at dinner. Giroux said that he was afraid of going to Russia."

Smiley90

wtf @ the Weber offer. If Preds match, can Weber refuse to sign with them and go to Philly instead?

no. He's stuck with them for at least a year until Nashville is allowed to trade him, but theoretically stuck with them for 14 years if they don't want to trade him.

iLLmAtlc

Ok this deal makes a lot of sense now.

14 million
12 million signing bonus at start of year 2

If Nashville matches it means they're committed to the whole 26 since they can't trade him for a year? I hate Holmgren so much.

Tabris

Honestly, the lack of NTC/NMC after a year must make that contract very tempting for NSH.

The reason why contracts like Luongo's suck is because he's not willing (right now) to be traded to a team like Columbus, but NSH will be able to trade him to any team in a year.

EDIT - But yeah, I doubt NSH can afford $26m. That's a ruthless move by Holmgren. I bet you see reduced Flyer trades for a while.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
EDIT - But yeah, I doubt NSH can afford $26m. That's a ruthless move by Holmgren. I bet you see reduced Flyer trades for a while.
Won't matter, if they get Weber they're pretty set aside from goal, but theyre not moving Bryz for a long time anyways.

Dreger said confirmed 100+ Mio, the thing is, if it's 109Mio/14 years it's below the 7.8Mio/year threshold that seperates 1,1,2,3 and 1,1,1,1. So we just don't know at this point.

Also, someone mentioned if Nashville could accept and then trade: No, they can't. After matching an offer sheet, a team is not allowed to trade the player for a year.

Weber will cost four firsts. Read this.

tl;dr - CBA clause 10.4

Smiley90

Weber will cost four firsts. Read this.

tl;dr - CBA clause 10.4

"determined by dividing such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five"

Wow, so the 100 divided by... 5 would have to be lower than 7.8 for it to NOT be four firsts? Interesting, thanks, didn't know about that clause. So yeah, it'll b four firsts then. But Nashville has to match if they SOMEHOW can afford.

Tabris

I don't think Shea Weber is worth 4 first rounders + a 14 year contract. He is one of the best dman in the league, but there is the possibility he looked slightly better than he is (instead of the best, just amazing) due to the NSH style of hockey. Of course he will also now be playing in the East so he may look even better. But you just never know, PHI should understand with Pronger and Lindros, that things can go the wrong way.

I personally wouldn't want to do that as a Canucks fan. Too much of gamble. I'm excited for new CBA.

EDIT - I wouldn't even offer that for Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Evgeni Malkin or Alexander Ovechkin. With concussions as they are now and always the risk of a serious injury like MCL/ACL tears, you just never know. Plus Russian factor for last 2 players.

I would offer the Sedins that.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gonna give Eklund some actual credit for once, I read on his blog a few days ago about a Weber trade being very possible but I didn't post it because of "LOL eklund", blind squirrel eventually finds an acorn, etc.

Tabris

I mean really, PHI should look at their history. Giving up Forsberg + players that got them Patrick Roy + a bunch more depth pieces which led the team to 2 Stanley Cups plus multiple division championships.

This may be the next Lindros trade.

iLLmAtlc

Eklund's got at least one other under his belt. I remember he had this rumour that Washington was interested in Scott Hannan like a year before he was traded there. >_>

Ok this deal makes a lot of sense now.

14 million
12 million signing bonus at start of year 2

If Nashville matches it means they're committed to the whole 26 since they can't trade him for a year? I hate Holmgren so much.
Wait. Where did you get these numnbers?

Are those two the signing bonuses?

EDIT: Okay, just saw the Dregger tweet, holy shit, 26 million in the first year? Forget about the cap, no way Nashville can afford that. That's half their internal fucking payroll.

Socreges

Banned
If Nashville matches, does Weber absolutely have to play with them or can he hold out? Does the contract necessarily not have an NTC?

I'm still of the belief that this offer sheet is the result of an expiring CBA. A last minute grab of opportunity before the clause is gone or rewritten. Hell, a conspiracy theorist in me kinda says that either the NHL or NHLPA could've had a secret involving in this, making the situation happen so that it's brought up at negotiations. "Hey Bill, that Weber situation, let's not have any more of that eh" etc. crazy talk though.

At least the thread title is now even more relevant and appropriate than before.

Quick

Banned
If Nashville matches, does Weber absolutely have to play with them or can he hold out? Does the contract necessarily not have an NTC?

He could hold out, then Nashville could counter that by suspending him to save face. Which wouldn't do anything since he wouldn't be playing either way.

Smiley90

AFAIK, yes, he WILL have to "play" for Nashville, or at least sit on the bench refusing to play. And no, matching offer sheets does not have to include NTC's/NMC's, but there is a NTC of 1 year for newly matched offer sheets. Not sure how he'd go about requesting one though, I don't think he can request it after signing an offer sheet...

iLLmAtlc

I think if the Flyers contract has a NTC Nashville can choose whether to honour it or not.

Weber could hold out if he wants to but no chance he does that since he wouldn't be able to collect the chedda.

Nashville almost literally cannot afford to match this offer. The team made $81 million in revenue last season. Weber's paycheque next season would make up a third of that. If they matched, they wouldn't be able to afford a team next season.

RC

Banned
Another ludicrous offer sheet? Nicely done Philly. That new CBA can't get here fast enough. Or ever, at this rate.

iLLmAtlc

Nashville almost literally cannot afford to match this offer. The team made $81 million in revenue last season. Weber's paycheque next season would make up a third of that. If they matched, they wouldn't be able to afford a team next season.

Whoa damn when you put it that way...

Then again, Poile said they ante'd up 90 mil over 13 years for Suter, and you'd probably have to figure that it had a similar structure of 2 big bonuses up front. Matching this deal means just going a bit further.

I tend to agree with you though 26 mil is a lot different than 7.5.

Socreges

Banned
I wasn't really clear. What I'm asking is, if Nashville matches, do they therefore officially have that contract with Weber or could Weber say 'fuck this, I signed it with philly, not you losers' -- I get the impression that the contract would be official with the way offer sheets work. ie, when he signed the offer sheet, he took the risk that he could be signing a long-term extension with Nashville if they were to match it.

Smiley90

I wasn't really clear. What I'm asking is, if Nashville matches, do they therefore officially have that contract with Weber or could Weber say 'fuck this, I signed it with philly, not you losers' -- I get the impression that the contract would be official with the way offer sheets work. ie, when he signed the offer sheet, he took the risk that he could be signing a long-term extension with Nashville if they were to match it.

That's how it is, yes, AFAIK.

Yeah it's 100% like that unless I'm unbelievably mistaken.
I can confirm this, which is why most analysts assumed Weber would never sign a big offer sheet, because if Nashville matches, he'd be stuck there forever.

If Nashville doesn't match, it's going to tank not just as a team, but as a franchise. All those years slowly building up a fanbase around Weber and Suter, only to have both suddenly leave in one summer. It'll be absolutely devastating.

Fei

If Nashville can afford the initial signing bonus, I'd have to think they match. 4 firsts are nice, but Philly isn't going to be in the bottom half of the league with Weber. Nashville can trade him during the year or at the deadline and avoid the second $10-12M signing bonus in July 2013. Bet they'd get a monster return.

JABEE

If the Flyers sent the sheet so that Nashville wouldn't match, I'm thinking that this will be a humongous offer. The Parise offer I heard was close to $115 million over 13 years. The Flyers probably made an offer that Nashville will have extreme difficulty matching.

Socreges

Banned
I can confirm this, which is why most analysts assumed Weber would never sign a big offer sheet, because if Nashville matches, he'd be stuck there forever.
There's no such thing. Some of you are acting like the absence of an NTC means the player would be 'stuck'. But it's irrelevant. That just protects you if you don't want to be moved. If you want to be moved, it works the same as always. Just make a stink so keeping you around is a liability.

If Nashville doesn't match, it's going to tank not just as a team, but as a franchise. All those years slowly building up a fanbase around Weber and Suter, only to have both suddenly leave in one summer. It'll be absolutely devastating.
Fine by me. Apart from sadness for sef, I'd love Weber to move to the East.

iLLmAtlc

Yeah I feel bad for them. It seems like the crowd is really into whenever the Nucks play them at least. It really seemed like they had a good thing going there these past couple of seasons.

E: apologies for the bad blog post link :(

If Nashville can afford the initial signing bonus, I'd have to think they match. 4 firsts are nice, but Philly isn't going to be in the bottom half of the league with Weber. Nashville can trade him during the year or at the deadline and avoid the second $10-12M signing bonus in July 2013. Bet they'd get a monster return.
They can't, players can't be traded for 1 year after signing an offer sheet. Nashville will be forced to pay out $26 million.

Fei

Weber is one of the few players worth burning 4 firsts for, IMO. I actually think it's a really great move by Philly, unfortunately.

Smiley90

Actually, they can't trade him until July 1st 2013 if they match. (or the Entry Draft? Or exactly 1 year after the offer is matched? I'm not sure)

Top Bottom