• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I love that Holmgren is such a dick. Screwing over everyone else wanting Weber, Nashville with a 26 million first year, and Philly media with a 2am news release. If he pulls this off I will be ecstatic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
wow, crazy.

weber's #1 concern has to be that long term deal prior to the next CBA. if nashville matches, he'll worry about where he wants to play long-term later...either way, he's got his cash.

uh, didn't you suggest a one year, $14mil offer sheet?

Jokingly, yes. But everybody went nuts at the idea of an offer sheet, period.

I'm more and more intrigued about how angry Bettman has to be over this. I want the Predators to match so Nashville's franchise isn't destroyed but I want the Preds not to match so Bettman goes nuts. This completely screws over one of his expansion franchises.

I'm not sure what's more shocking--waking up to this or the fact that Eklund actually got one right.

Also, poor Preds fans. This could crush that franchise.

On the other hand, the bright side is that this could finally open people up to more offer sheets, which I think are perfectly viable and the "unwritten rule" that you shouldn't use them is ridiculous.

I am so hopefully that this will open things up for RFA's to sign with other teams. I complained about that a lot with Stamkos. I hate that the NHLO GMs all got together and decided that there is only one type of FA in the NHL. I am disappointed to see the first year is only $26m. They should have made it $50m just to make sure they dont match.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm not sure what's more shocking--waking up to this or the fact that Eklund actually got one right.
Also, poor Preds fans. This could crush that franchise.

On the other hand, the bright side is that this could finally open people up to more offer sheets, which I think are perfectly viable and the "unwritten rule" that you shouldn't use them is ridiculous.

Hey a broken clock is still right 2 times a day.

IMO I never thought there was an "unwritten rule" with offer sheets it's just unless you're going to make an offer like this what's the point in doing it when you know the other team is absolutely going to match it?

I think that's the reason nobody gave an offer sheet to Stamkos, TB was going to match anything put out there so why waste your time and wait on it for whatever amount of days it was tying up your cash so that they could match it and you may miss out on actual players you could sign?

Jokingly, yes. But everybody went nuts at the idea of an offer sheet, period.

I'm more and more intrigued about how angry Bettman has to be over this. I want the Predators to match so Nashville's franchise isn't destroyed but I want the Preds not to match so Bettman goes nuts. This completely screws over one of his expansion franchises.

Yeah but you were talking about 1 year. People were saying there was no way he'd sign a 1 year sheet because then he couldn't get a huge contract like this in the next CBA.

Ok so I'm just becoming coherent now. Thoughts:

1.) Tabris you're wrong about the 4 1sts thing as it applies to the Flyers. We're at a stage now where it makes the most sense to trade those picks. We have a REALLY solid young core who is all going to need to be paid in a few years. We've had really great 1st round picks lately, but if you're gonna trade them Weber is the kind of guy you do it for. Losing the firsts is a big deal, but certainly not insane in this situation.

2.) Preds are going to offer sheet Voracek now aren't they? Goddamnit.

3.) The money doesn't sound GOOD, but it doesn't sound Holmgren level stupid either. I'll live with it if Shea Weber becomes a Flyer. Kimmo's gonna retire next year anyway.

4.) SHEA FUCKING WEBER!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT HE COULD BE A FLYER!

5.) This is my earliest post on the subject. I'm pretty sure I really did have dibs on him.

I am so hopefully that this will open things up for RFA's to sign with other teams. I complained about that a lot with Stamkos. I hate that the NHLO GMs all got together and decided that there is only one type of FA in the NHL. I am disappointed to see the first year is only $26m. They should have made it $50m just to make sure they dont match.

A lot NHL GMs are part of the "old boys club" of the NHL. They don't like to poach other teams players. You'll never see guys like Sather or Burke or that old school type of GM that still exists do offersheets.

Hartnell/G/Voracek(???)
Schenn/Briere/Simmonds
Read/Couturier/Wellwood
Fedetenko/Talbot/Rinaldo

Kimmo/Coburn
Weber/Meszaros
Grossman/Schenn

Bryz
Michael "I ain't even mad anymore" Leighton

Yeah..... I'm ok with this....

Voracek? I think they'll bide their time for 2 years if you catch my meaning

Homer has already started negotiating that extension....

But if we lose this year of G on his shitty contract I will be pissed now. Homer better personally sit down with Fehr and just give him whatever the fuck he wants now. I want a full season damnit!

I love that Holmgren is such a dick. Screwing over everyone else wanting Weber, Nashville with a 26 million first year, and Philly media with a 2am news release. If he pulls this off I will be ecstatic.

This stuff can't happen now! I'm going to be reading Flyers articles for the next week now!

DAMNIT HOMER I NEED TO STUDY! DON'T YOU CARE FOR MY WELL BEING!

Homer has already started negotiating that extension....

But if we lose this year of G on his shitty contract I will be pissed now. Homer better personally sit down with Fehr and just give him whatever the fuck he wants now. I want a full season damnit!

That's fine, I'm sure they'll just go after the other one then.

And the one year they really suck and get the 2nd overall pick they end up with Luke Schenn.

I really have high hope for Luke. The Flyers are in a position where they are really close to a cup. They should be going all out rather then worrying about 7 years from now. Weber is absolutely worth 4 1st round picks, even with the knowledge that 1 of those picks could become great. I would rather have the guy that is great, then 4 chances to get a great players with really low odds.

This stuff can't happen now! I'm going to be reading Flyers articles for the next week now!

DAMNIT HOMER I NEED TO STUDY! DON'T YOU CARE FOR MY WELL BEING!

Haha I know, right? I lost enough study time following the Parise crap. And Homer will perfect his dickness by having Nashville either match or us to sign Weber when we're actually in about hour 2 of being locked in a room taking the bar exam.

Shit.... are we gonna get him with cap circumvention?

I dont see how. Cap circumvention is like what the Devils did with Ilya, where he was making $1m a year for like the last 5 years of his deal. Weber will be making less in the final years but that was because the Flyers had to give him a huge upfront bonus to keep the Preds from matching. I really doubt Homer would go to all the trouble to offer sheet him just to have the league throw the contract out.

Curufinwe

I really have high hope for Luke. The Flyers are in a position where they are really close to a cup. They should be going all out rather then worrying about 7 years from now. Weber is absolutely worth 4 1st round picks, even with the knowledge that 1 of those picks could become great. I would rather have the guy that is great, then 4 chances to get a great players with really low odds.

Luke Schenn might turn out to be alright, but nothing will make up for what happened with the 1st overall pick that year.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Well congrats on having a captain in your locker room who signed a contract with another team but got sentenced to 14 years where he doesn't want to be.....

Come on sef! Does it have to be like this?

so much shit is going to your brain that its coming out your mouth. if he didnt want to be in nashville, he had plenty of other options that dont include signing yourself to something that nashville can match.

shits going to your brain and coming out your mouth. if he didnt want to be in nashville, he had plenty of other options that dont include signing yourself to something that nashville can match.

Like? What other options did he have? Demand a trade? That would have looked even worse in the locker room and it's not clear the Preds would have gotten more out of just trading away his rights than they do here.

Supposedly Poille's known for a while that this offer was going to come in. I'm sure Weber knew too.

sefskillz

Like? What other options did he have?

Supposedly Poille's known for a while that this offer was going to come in. I'm sure Weber knew too.

like dont sign a contract at all or demand a trade at any point ever prior. he is a RFA obviously.

philly offered him the $ he wants, its as simple as that. it doesnt mean he wants out of nashville

sefskillz

preds would've gotten more out of a trade to help right now. losing weber to an offer sheet might be fine in 5 years, but right now its a big blow.

i still think they match, but im bias

preds would've gotten more out of a trade to help right now. losing weber to an offer sheet might be fine in 5 years, but right now its a big blow.

i still think they match, but im bias

Wouldn't surprise me. If they do then that's fine too. Flyers don't have a bad team going into next year and them with 11m in cap space is a fairly scary thing.

Not very often a franchise D-man hits the market though.

like dont sign a contract at all or demand a trade at any point ever prior. he is a RFA obviously.

philly offered him the $ he wants, its as simple as that. it doesnt mean he wants out of nashville

I'm with you Sef. If he really wanted out, he wouldn't have given Nashville a fail safe. He would have said he didn't want to sign long term and ask to be traded.

Silexx

Just saw the news on my twitter feed when I got to work this morning.

Don't worry, Sef, I'm sure Mike Fisher will make a great captain.

Socreges

Banned
Hey a broken clock is still right 2 times a day.
Hockey Buzz Eklund @Eklund
Sources indicate that the time is 3:42pm. E2
View details @ 5:56am

Hockey Buzz Eklund @Eklund
Sources continue to confirm that the time is, in fact, 3:42pm. E4
View details @ 6:32am

sefskillz

preds just sent all season ticket holders free tickets to a rod stewart and Stevie nicks show. WHO IS THAT HELPING

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm getting more and more disappointed Holland didn't do this. It's a pretty genius move by Holmgren.

On Mlive, they stated that Holland doesn't believe in offer sheets and that they're pointless because "the original team always matches."

Looks like he's probably wrong.

Plinko

preds just sent all season ticket holders free tickets to a rod stewart and Stevie nicks show. WHO IS THAT HELPING

LOL

I hear that's how Holland gets all the 35+ year old players to come to Detroit.

0_0

Leave it up to Holmgren to turn an awful offseason into one to remember....

DarrenDreger
I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

So close to getting both Parise and Suter. We get neither.

We make a big offer for Nash. Howson is not even willing to discuss trading him to Detroit.

Close to landing a trade for Weber. Menstally unstable GM kills that possibility.

Holland: "FUCK THIS FUCKING SHIT"

Though it is nice to know Holland still has been active behind the scenes here, I guess we gave Columbus an offer they couldn't refuse but Howson did not want to deal Nash to Detroit despite the offer. Also even if they do match the offer that Nashville ends of trading him still because I have a feeling he wants to get out of Nashville now. Come on Holland, sign Semin and Doan while everyone is distracted by Weber!!!

Poor Sef, the Preds are taking a huge hit this offseason.

Top Bottom