• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No the 2nd year signing bonus must be paid July 1st 2013, the Preds cannot trade Weber until 365 days after matching which would be after July 1st 2013. They would have to pay both bonuses.

Wait--he gets a $13 million signing bonus each year?

For the 1000th time. CBA negotiations. All owners are going to say contracts are too high because they're trying to negotiate for lower contracts. Is it hypocritical? Of course, but you'd have to be fucking stupid to think owners aren't going to complain about player salaries being too high.

They're not helping their case and giving the PA more ammo though.

If he accepts he gets $13M now.

July 1st 2013 he gets another $13M

Preds couldn't trade him until next year(today at the earliest) so that's 2x$13M to pay out before they can trade him.

Yes for each of the 1st 4 years.

Don't the Flyers play a wide-open offensive style? If their system is anything remotely similar to Wilson's system in Toronto, Schenn will struggle. He's not fast or mobile enough to keep up.

Put him on Phoenix or Nashville, though, and he would probably be very effective.

The Flyers have their forwards always looking to break out and not helping the D as much. Their D couldnt push the Devils off the puck and they get killed in that series. They need more physical D men that can push guys off the puck without needing help from the forwards.

Razorskin

----- ------
Offer Sheet the fuck out of Giroux when the time comes Preds!

This is some Scott Stevens shit, does anyone know what Washington got with those picks all those years ago?

Fr6RW.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Preds would have to pay him almost $60m in the first 4 years. It is a great contract for making it hard to match.

It really is a great move by the Flyers front office. I wish Holland would have done it.

Doesn't matter, Flyers get screwed either way. Either they lose the player or they grossly overpay to keep him.

Same position Nashville is in right now.

That is a possibility. I still have a hard time imagining teams giving bad contracts to guys just to get back at those evils Flyers. Has there been any targeting of guys with teams that OS other players?

SpacLock

All of these guys were supposed to go to Detroit! Noooo!

Detroit's having a Zetterberg doppelganger contest on their Facebook page. Grow out that beard, Crazed.

QIjJd.png

gcubed

If they pull it off and get Weber... man. The signing of Weber and the loss of Carle would put me in heaven. Tampa Bay got screwed, i feel a little bad.

Revenant

I highly doubt the owners give a fuck.

That would mean his 3 month summer vacation would have some work in it. Ewwwww

You excited for all that sweet blackhawks convention news bro. I wonder if they're going to oil Sheldon brookbank up and place him on a pedestal to pose like a Greek sculpture.

Marvie_3

Banned
You excited for all that sweet blackhawks convention news bro. I wonder if they're going to oil Sheldon brookbank up and place him on a pedestal to pose like a Greek sculpture.
I heard they were going to bring back Sopel's House of Horrors. It was basically a tiny room with a picture of Brent Sopel and a lot of mirrors.

Reminds me of when the Blues signed Steve Bernier to an offer sheet (after the Canucks had traded for him) and the Canucks matched, then sought revenge by offer-shetting Backes (which the Blues matched).

We all know who got the better player.

Razorskin

----- ------
Scott Stevens got offer sheeted and the Caps Ended up getting Gonchar and Witt out of the 5 1st round picks. (They got Varlamov from Witt and later Filip Forsberg).

I got 2 questions here:

1. Is there something with how offersheets work that made it impossible for Weber to ask for NMC/NTC after the first year? Otherwise Philly doesn't seem like the best team to commit for 14 years to.

2. How the fuck do these bonuses work? Aren't they countet against the cap at all? that seems ridiculous why even have salaries than? I kind of remember that the bonuses that Hawks players got when they won the Cup crippled them cap-wise after that?

Curufinwe

Couver matched. It also wasnt an insane contract that would hurt a smaller market team. The 2 situations aren't similiar at all.

In both cases the Flyers signed a player to an offer sheet, and then fans of other teams tried to make themselves feel better by imagining other GMs would start signing Flyers players to offer sheets as revenge.

Marvie_3

Banned
I got 2 questions here:

1. Is there something with how offersheets work that made it impossible for Weber to ask for NMC/NTC after the first year? Otherwise Philly doesn't seem like the best team to commit for 14 years to.
Once he signs the offer sheet, that's the contract. You can't change it once it has gone into effect.

2. How the fuck do these bonuses work? Aren't they countet against the cap at all? that seems ridiculous why even have salaries than? I kind of remember that the bonuses that Hawks players got when they won the Cup crippled them cap-wise after that?
Bonuses are counted like normal salary and averaged into the cap hit.

In both cases the Flyers signed a player to an offer sheet, and then fans of other teams tried to make themselves feel better by imagining other GMs would start signing Flyers players to offer sheets as revenge.

And if he goes to the flyers the situation won't be the same at all. So there's no frame of reference because the two aren't the same thing.

Once he signs the offer sheet, that's the contract. You can't change it once it has gone into effect.

Bonuses are counted like normal salary and averaged into the cap hit.

But an offersheet contract can have a NTC clause just like any contract?

Makes sense with the bonus, thanks

Yeah, Philly is gonna get offersheeted next time. Eye for an eye.

I think the Flyers will be alright here. Homer typically starts extension contracts very early. G, Couts, and Schenn are all gonna get extensions before they hit the RFA market unless the agents INTEND to do that to the Flyers.

Overall I don't think this will severely hurt the Flyers. Poile and Homer have an excellent working relationship that is well documented. Homer talked to Poile beforehand and explained the situation, and the Preds are getting 4 first round picks if they don't match. On top of that Poile knew Weber wasn't likely to stay long term.

Overall, I think what Homer did is somewhat against the spirit of the CBA, but I really doubt he pissed anyone off that much. Other teams were offering trade deals for Weber. He knew that and Poile was certainly listening. Any of those teams had the same option when they realized what the market looked like in order to close everyone out. On top of all that Weber had to AGREE to the offer so he certainly isn't opposed to Philly and that's a consideration as well for all those teams who were gonna chase him as a UFA.

I don't believe so.

(e) For the purposes of this Article, the Principal Terms of an Offer Sheet are
limited to the term, Paragraph 1 Salary and Signing Bonus and Reporting Bonus the New
Club offers to the Restricted Free Agent (currently and/or as Deferred Compensation in
specified installments on specified dates) in consideration for his services as a hockey
Player under the SPC.
(f) All Principal Terms contained in an Offer Sheet shall be fixed and readily
determinable amounts of cash, which shall not be subject to any conditions or
contingencies whatsoever, except as to the date on which payment is to be made

yep

RC

Banned
I hate it when teams circumvent the cap. Hopefully the new CBA (if it ever gets done) puts a hard limit on signing bonuses or gets rid of them all together. (Doubtful)
Poor Nashville, they could've been a contender.

Top Bottom